FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROOT] Root NVidia Shield Tablet - Lollipop (also locked bootloader)

11 posts
Thanks Meter: 54

By sandrodjay, Junior Member on 13th December 2014, 09:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,
The original credits for the root go to SuperPichu for the following post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/shie...lipop-t2945044

I simply "modified" his process, to make it even more "hassle free"
The process will wipe your data, so remember to backup it.
Besides, I'm not responsible if warranty voids or whatever. Just keep in mind that unlocking the FASTBOOT may void the warranty, as it will displayed when you will unlock it. The fastboot unlock procedure has been taken directly by the NVidia Developer's site, so they actually expect the users to do that - but what you will do next, it's all your responsability

So, the overall procedure looks like:
  • Download&Install the "Mini" ADB/Fastboot from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post42407269 (remember to say yes to create the link on the desktop - it will be useful later)
  • Download&Install NVIDIA ADB Drivers from the official Nvidia site: http://developer.download.nvidia.com...USB_driver.zip
  • Enable "Developer Mode" on the Nvidia Tablet (Settings -> About tablet -> Tap many times (5+) the "Build number" until the Developer Mode is activated
  • Developer Mode -> Enable USB Debugging
  • Copy the CWM image and SuperSU (rename it to supersu.zip) where you installed the Mini ADB/Fastboot (default: C:\Program Files\Minimal ADB and Fastboot)
  • Click the link created by the Mini ADB/Fastboot installation. It should open a DOS console already at the install folder.
  • (In the Windows console) Type "adb reboot bootloader"
  • From the rebooted tab, select "Load fastboot protocol" with Volume Keys and push the power switch to confirm
  • (In the Windows console) Type "fastboot oem unlock"
  • [ATTENTION: This step will wipe your device] Press the "Volume Down" button to select, with the "Power" button, the "Unlock bootloader" option on device
  • (In the Windows console) Type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
  • On the tablet, select "recovery reboot"
  • You should be now on CWM. Simply select "install zip from file" -> install from sideload
  • In the console, type "adb sideload supersu.zip"
  • On CWM select "reboot system", CWM will ask to keep root => say yes
  • Enjoy your rooted tablet
The Following 50 Users Say Thank You to sandrodjay For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sandrodjay Ad-Free

14th December 2014, 08:51 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
KCMO
Thanks Meter: 1,399

More
Very nice! I wish there was a way to do this without installing custom recovery (so that we can accept ota updates). The Shield Portable is easier. Just unlock, and run the shield root image. It doesn't install Custom Recovery and is a very similar process to Chainfire's CF Auto Root methods.
The Following User Says Thank You to wwjoshdew For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wwjoshdew Ad-Free
14th December 2014, 11:41 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 105

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjoshdew

Very nice! I wish there was a way to do this without installing custom recovery (so that we can accept ota updates). The Shield Portable is easier. Just unlock, and run the shield root image. It doesn't install Custom Recovery and is a very similar process to Chainfire's CF Auto Root methods.

Well first off I havent had any issues with ota updates on CWM (took kitkat otas). Second, if you really don't want a custom recovery why not just obtain root then flash back the stock recovery?? ❓❓❓
15th December 2014, 12:00 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjoshdew

To be honest with you, I haven't updated yet - but the OTA seems to work (i.e. it's currently saying that my Firmware is up-to-date, no errors). Just wait a couple of weeks (NVIDIA released a firmware update every month until now ) and I'll let you know if it works

Btw, even if I loose the the root/CWM, it's not a great deal to install it again
15th December 2014, 12:11 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
FYI, as soon as you root or modify a stock 5.x.x (Lollipop) image, you'll no longer be able to accept OTA anymore without first flashing back to stock (this applies to all devices - although you might be able to manually flash a new update) - I guess we'll find out once 5.0.1 is released for the Shield...

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using XDA Free mobile app
17th December 2014, 04:18 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 105

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Droid

FYI, as soon as you root or modify a stock 5.x.x (Lollipop) image, you'll no longer be able to accept OTA anymore without first flashing back to stock (this applies to all devices - although you might be able to manually flash a new update) - I guess we'll find out once 5.0.1 is released for the Shield...

Good to know. 👍But we should be able to flash the ota zips via recovery and flash super su and possibly recovery (locked bootloaders, ota can overwrite recovery) just like we did to update to lolli. I usually see zips before I see the ota anyways.
17th December 2014, 04:56 AM |#7  
Flag Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrodjay

Just keep in mind that unlocking the FASTBOOT may void the warranty, as it will displayed when you will unlock it.

I have contacted NVIDIA today, asking steps to move back to Kitkat. I was given instructions to unlock the bootloader, and was assured it will not void the warranty. The assistant was being meticulous regarding this, since she asked around for her colleagues' advice before giving me the information.

So if I ever need to send in for warranty, all I have to do is reflash the factory image to get rid of the root and I'll be all set. If they make a fuss about me having an unlocked bootloader, I'll have a chat transcript to back me up. You guys may want to do the same too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w.0.o.t For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift w.0.o.t Ad-Free
23rd December 2014, 02:55 PM |#8  
Flag Hillegom
Thanks Meter: 6

Donate to Me
More
Thank you worked great!
24th December 2014, 02:24 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 113

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Droid

Just took 5.0.1 (wasn't rooted or anything). So I was thinking if I flash the CWM, then do a stock backup, then proceeed to root I should be able to restore the backup when a new OTA comes out since it will be unrooted and stock. Then I can update, install recovery if needed, make another unrooted stock backup, for the next time then reroot, right?
25th December 2014, 01:18 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 252

More
Should work, but after restoring your stock backup you will need the stock Recovery too to update ota.
27th December 2014, 11:25 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi

There is no need to flash the custom recovery if you don't want to. Just do a fastboot boot recovery <recovery.img>. I did that because i didn't want to change to another recovery.
After the reboot you will revert to stock recovery.

\Sorenjul
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)