FORUMS

[Guide][Updated][MicroG] Breathing new Life into your Shield Tablet

219 posts
Thanks Meter: 93

By fpozar, Senior Member on 7th October 2017, 07:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello everyone, this is the updated version of this guide. Most will stay the same as in the old guide but there will be a few crucial changes, both good and bad, so choose for yourself (you can always follow the original old guide here). Anyways, the major "update" to the guide will point you to install microG services onto your tablet. I'm doing this because I've noticed that it boosts performance and RAM management quite substantially and because I haven't found an active topic about microG on this xda subforum. Anyways, if you don't know what MicroG is, google is your friend and you can learn more here.

So, here are a few pros to using microG:
  • Better performance
  • Better battery life
  • Better RAM management

Also a few cons :
  • Many google services won't work perfectly (though most are at least usable)
  • Google Play Games won't work at all

So in order to use MicroG and lineage OS you are going to have to download a special fork of official LOS from here

This is the main difference between the old guide which you can follow and check out here, and the new guide. Also, if you do decide to use this and don't mind giving up Google play games (Youtube, chrome and other stuff works mostly) you shouldn't flash google apps.

Anyways, this update is going to be the most useful to people (like me) who use the tablet mostly for media consumption and some light games.

Also, you are going to have to make a few tweaks inside the ROM to get google apps to work :
  • Download F-Droid (very useful) and with F-Droid download Yalp Store (this will be your new Google play store)
  • Download Google contacts sync app
  • Give every google app you've downloaded all the permissions it needs manually (quite important, do it in settings -> apps -> some google app -> permissions)
  • Go through MicroG settings app self check tool and get everything to have a tick

That's about it, I found this to really boost my RAM performance to the point that I could have a few lighter apps open and when I would return to Chrome my 4 or 5 tabs would still stay open, though, your results may vary so please state your opinions about this in the comments. Have fun !

(Also, expect another update to this when we get fully functional Oreo, I will try the new Android GO then and report back if it works well)

Note : please don't hold me responsible if you brick your tablet or lose your data. Like with every other tech related guide, do your own bit of research before jumping into the guide. Blindly following this should work but if you want to lower the chances of messing something up, do your homework before hand, not after you do something wrong
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to fpozar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fpozar Ad-Free
12th October 2017, 02:31 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
When you say "change the filesystem of /data /cache to f2fs". Is that both Cache and Data?
12th October 2017, 03:22 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Both Barrelz

When you say "change the filesystem of /data /cache to f2fs". Is that both Cache and Data?

Yes, that is what I ment. Here, I edited the OP, also added one more trick I use
13th October 2017, 09:40 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Excellent guide, but a quick question, does the pen work properly? I do a decent amount of drawing and note taking with the pen so...

Anyone ? Lineage OS + Pen = ?

Thanks!
13th October 2017, 10:57 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 243

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBoX

Excellent guide, but a quick question, does the pen work properly? I do a decent amount of drawing and note taking with the pen so...

Anyone ? Lineage OS + Pen = ?

Thanks!

You don't really get any of the extra features for it but it works. Palm rejection and stuff seems to be a little worse but stock seems to frequently have detection issues with the stylus where I need to turn the screen off/on to continue using it and los seems to be a little better about that.
19th October 2017, 04:18 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Yeah!
21st October 2017, 12:13 PM |#7  
Flag Oslo
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Change filesytem of data, and cache to f2fs?
Hi.
Thanks for this tutorial , but im stuck at "change filesytem of data, and cache to f2fs in BitOBSessiOn's F2FS recovery"
The only thing im able to is wipe data and cache. When push the button for "repair or change file directory" i get wrong parameter or something like that.
What am i missing?

Thanks
Knievel
21st October 2017, 05:38 PM |#8  
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 79

Donate to Me
More
Two questions, will this work in the K1 tablet and does it really make a difference if you come from stock?

Enviado desde mi Mi A1 mediante Tapatalk
21st October 2017, 06:16 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnieveI

Hi.
Thanks for this tutorial , but im stuck at "change filesytem of data, and cache to f2fs in BitOBSessiOn's F2FS recovery"
The only thing im able to is wipe data and cache. When push the button for "repair or change file directory" i get wrong parameter or something like that.
What am i missing?

Thanks
Knievel

Hi,
You have to go advanced wipe -> repair or change file system.
Make sure you flashed the multirom twrp (its the one with a dragon or something in its logo).
Also, there are hundreds of video tutorials for changing to f2fs, the procedure is the same on every device, so try making a few google searches if I was not clear enough.
22nd October 2017, 02:31 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moliverac8

Two questions, will this work in the K1 tablet and does it really make a difference if you come from stock?

Enviado desde mi Mi A1 mediante Tapatalk

It works on shield k1 (my tablet is k1), and in my experience it helps to come from stock because then you will be on the latest firmware which is good (better charging etc)
24th October 2017, 01:18 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I literally came to the forum to do this. I was using the optimized stock ROM and it was just so bad, i think it may have been my adopted storage.
Anyhow installed this and instantly saw a difference.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
f2fs, fix, nougat, smooth, stable

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)