By Bogdacutu, Senior Member on 15th August 2015, 08:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th November 2019, 04:58 PM |#1811  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Double check on nomoreOTA in 5.4 on 32GB US LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3dboard

If it's not in those locations you should be safe. This is an nvidia update check, if you have booted and connected to the internet, and it was still installed and your device was marked for disabling, then your device would have been disabled by now

@Bogdacutu I do want to say thank you for all your hard work on this project. I am needing to make sure they didn't move the folder or apk in the final 5.4 update, and that your patch was still effective in 5.4 (details why follow).

@p3dboard I really appreciate the reply. I didn't mention a few parts to this, to clarify.

The tablet is the 32GB LTE US version. I updated all the way to 5.4 because my tablet was not flagged, and there are no future releases. I received the OTAs then flashed latest TWRP 3.3.1.0 custom recovery.

First, I didn't complete the recall yet, for various reasons, so I don't have the new tablet, etc. I did submit the claim, so I have limited time to triple check the tablet is safe.
So, I do not think that the kill code is pushed to my S/N as of yet, and the S/N check page returns an error, so I can't check *safely*
So, if somehow the TegraOTA.apk folder and app exist elsewhere in 5.4, I could still get the kill code.

Second, I read 95% of thread, and 2-3 people previously noted that the "system update" option under tablet status disappeared once they had applied the nomoreOTA.zip file.
Under settings>about tablet> they stated that their first option was "SEnd feedback to NVIDIA" and the "system update" was gone.

That is not the case for me; what is more, when I enter that option (no kill code pushed yet), and click check for update, it outputs: "Your system is up to date" "Last successful check for update at [LOCAL TIME]" BUT if I disconnect from WIFI, and run the check, it outputs "Can't check for update"

Both the update screen and the "Check for update" link are blue.

This is why I am unsure as to whether or not the patch applied.

I will say that I realized later I needed to mount system in TWRP and then located those folders that way. With the system mounted, I sideloaded the nomoreOTA.zip file which returned an error that it could not find the file (which is good) with a successful message after that.

I don't recall where, but in another shield post, someone was mentioning data/data/com.nvidia???? folder and asking about that as another means to check, and it made me question if I missed something there.

The fact that the app folders in both locations are missing is good, but the ghost function of "check updates" when others stated they didn't have that anymore is what raises a red flag for me.
However, those who posted about not having that function anymore, I believe were NOT on 5.4, so that could be why?

If anyone on 5.4 with a successful nomoreOTA flash (with root file manager check to verify) could speak to whether or not they still have the same "system update">"check for update" features, and have confirmed they are safe without the TegraOTA folder, or .apk, that would definitely answer the question for me as to if the file is successfully deleted or not.

Note: I did also clear the dalvnik and cache through TWRP after sideloading nomoreOTA.zip and before booting to system.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Update: Relying on @topcat36 's post (thanks), Check updates screen is blue and not green. I checked every location I believe the TegraOTA files could possibly be, including data and cache, and it is not listed. I should be good. Thanks to everyone on this thread for your input.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=1751
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)