Kill the kill switch - "ST - yy"

407 posts
Thanks Meter: 834

By Bogdacutu, Senior Member on 15th August 2015, 07:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th August 2015, 08:04 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Great post. Hopefully that's as far as Nvidia is going to go. I flashed a custom rom on my old tablet. I'm keeping my new one stock but deleting the system app per your post. Just in case Nvidia is spiteful when I don't return the old tablet. I don't want to leave them any option of nuking the new one.
15th August 2015, 08:05 PM |#12  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkofilee

So out of interest, what do you think the chances are that thisll work?
How did you find out if the update is waiting? FYI I flashed the ZIP... All is good and it booted fine on LTE 32Gb...

Decompiled the OTA application. Using information from there I can connect to the OTA server directly from my PC, and request updates for any given serial number and Android version combination.

I wouldn't have posted this if I weren't relatively confident in my findings
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogdacutu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bogdacutu Ad-Free
15th August 2015, 08:09 PM |#13  
Flag Crawley
Thanks Meter: 379

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdacutu

Decompiled the OTA application. Using information from there I can connect to the OTA server directly from my PC, and request updates for any given serial number and Android version combination.

I wouldn't have posted this if I weren't relatively confident in my findings

I know fella I appreciate it. Could you check my second point? 2 x Nvidia Shields would be awesome! One for Work, One For Home
15th August 2015, 08:13 PM |#14  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Plus the deleting of the TegraOTA File has gone through... So you really think the TegraOTA removal has stopped it?
How do i check if i have downloaded randomly that update?

Yes, I think it did. If that update was downloaded on your device, it would have been too late (as it reboots instantly after the update is downloaded), so I wouldn't worry about that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bogdacutu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bogdacutu Ad-Free
15th August 2015, 08:16 PM |#15  
Flag Crawley

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yes, I think it did. If that update was downloaded on your device, it would have been too late (as it reboots instantly after the update is downloaded), so I wouldn't worry about that.

So heres an interesting one for you, using a logical mindset, if you receive your new tablet, activate it, the next time that the old one connects to the network, it downloads this update and bricks it? But it wont technically do this until the new tablet is turned on?
15th August 2015, 08:17 PM |#16  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

So heres an interesting one for you, using a logical mindset, if you receive your new tablet, activate it, the next time that the old one connects to the network, it downloads this update and bricks it? But it wont technically do this until the new tablet is turned on?

As mentioned in the OP, the update doesn't get delivered immediately after you activate the new tablet. But yes, the old tablet shouldn't get the update before the new one is activated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogdacutu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bogdacutu Ad-Free
15th August 2015, 08:18 PM |#17  
Flag Crawley

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

As mentioned in the first post, the update doesn't get delivered immediately after you activate the new tablet. But yes, the old tablet shouldn't get the update before the new one is activated.

Sorry fella missed that part, I will be donating some funds when i get paid later this month Mucho Gracias!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fkofilee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fkofilee Ad-Free
15th August 2015, 08:26 PM |#18  
Flag Las Cruces, NM
Thanks Meter: 146

More
Totally not related to this thread, but I just went to setup my new tablet and it's not letting me restore apps & settings from my old Shield Tablet... It doesn't show my old tablet as a restore option. I doubt checked and the old tablet is setup to backup all settings and apps though. Anyone else have this issue when setting up they're new tablet?
15th August 2015, 08:28 PM |#19  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegizmo83

Totally not related to this thread, but I just went to setup my new tablet and it's not letting me restore apps & settings from my old Shield Tablet... It doesn't show my old tablet as a restore option. I doubt checked and the old tablet is setup to backup all settings and apps though. Anyone else have this issue when setting up they're new tablet?

Upgrade to 5.1 on the new tablet without restoring any data, then do a factory reset and you should get the option to restore
15th August 2015, 08:29 PM |#20  
Flag Las Cruces, NM
Thanks Meter: 146

More
Quote:

Upgrade to 5.1 on the new tablet without restoring any data, then do a factory reset and you should get the option to restore

AWESOME man, thank you!!
15th August 2015, 08:32 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Strange, My old tablet is still working, days after the first killswitch incident.. I'm on stock firmware (3.1) that's been rooted, custom recovery and kernel. I'm not sure why my old tablet hasn't died yet, it's been a few days since I activated my new replacement (which of course I have reboxed after making sure everything was functioning until such a time warrants me to use my replacement). It could be the fact I factory flashed kitkat prior to activating my replacement and pushed the full OTA through TWRP... Could that be something keeping my old tablet alive?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)