Kill the kill switch - "ST - yy"

407 posts
Thanks Meter: 834

By Bogdacutu, Senior Member on 15th August 2015, 07:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th August 2015, 08:32 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Strange, My old tablet is still working, days after the first killswitch incident.. I'm on stock firmware (3.1) that's been rooted, custom recovery and kernel. I'm not sure why my old tablet hasn't died yet, it's been a few days since I activated my new replacement (which of course I have reboxed after making sure everything was functioning until such a time warrants me to use my replacement). It could be the fact I factory flashed kitkat prior to activating my replacement and pushed the full OTA through TWRP... Could that be something keeping my old tablet alive?
15th August 2015, 08:37 PM |#22  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashwood Foxe

Strange, My old tablet is still working, days after the first killswitch incident.. I'm on stock firmware (3.1) that's been rooted, custom recovery and kernel. I'm not sure why my old tablet hasn't died yet, it's been a few days since I activated my new replacement (which of course I have reboxed after making sure everything was functioning until such a time warrants me to use my replacement). It could be the fact I factory flashed kitkat prior to activating my replacement and pushed the full OTA through TWRP... Could that be something keeping my old tablet alive?

As mentioned in the OP, the urgent OTA doesn't get sent out immediately (I have 2 serial numbers from people who have had their new tablets activated for a few days, but who don't have the urgent OTA waiting for them yet)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bogdacutu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bogdacutu Ad-Free
15th August 2015, 08:40 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 242

More
Good work, I'm glad you could figure it out. For the most part it was doing about what I expected that they would try. I opened up the TegraOTA.apk a few days ago but I didn't get anywhere with it. Good find for newer/non-defective tablets too.
15th August 2015, 08:47 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I applied the zip from cwm. Now i can't find the whole path (system/app/tegraotg). Is this normal? Thx.
15th August 2015, 08:47 PM |#25  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnoworld

I applied the zip from cwm. Now i can't find the whole path (system/app/tegraotg). Is this normal? Thx.

Yes, that's normal (and it's what the ZIP is supposed to do)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bogdacutu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bogdacutu Ad-Free
15th August 2015, 08:49 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks! I thought it would delete just the apk or the inner folder.

Thanks again for your time and efforts.

P.s. a friend asks if with a non stock rom like blisspop he is safe.
15th August 2015, 08:50 PM |#27  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnoworld

Thanks! I thought it would delete just the apk or the inner folder.

Thanks again for your time and efforts.

P.s. a friend asks if with a non stock rom like blisspop he is safe.

Yes, the TL;DR does say that non-stock ROMs should be safe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogdacutu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bogdacutu Ad-Free
15th August 2015, 08:55 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 242

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdacutu

As mentioned in the OP, the urgent OTA doesn't get sent out immediately (I have 2 serial numbers from people who have had their new tablets activated for a few days, but who don't have the urgent OTA waiting for them yet)

Do you know if the older updater has the capability of pushing "urgent" updates as well? I'd just remove it either way to be sure, but it could explain if the risk is still there for people on older versions.
Also could you tell me what you used to extract the blobs? Thank you.
15th August 2015, 08:57 PM |#29  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithn

Do you know if the older updater has the capability of pushing "urgent" updates as well? I'd just remove it either way to be sure, but it could explain if the risk is still there for people on older versions.
Also could you tell me what you used to extract the blobs? Thank you.

It does not, but I wouldn't trust it anyway. For all we know, they might also be pushing this update disguised as a normal Android OTA (they can't install it automatically on older versions, but they can trick you into thinking it's a normal update). For unpacking the blob, I used blobunpack from here: https://github.com/AndroidRoot/BlobTools
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogdacutu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bogdacutu Ad-Free
15th August 2015, 09:05 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
when I flashed this on my tablet I assumed I couldn't get OTA updates anymore correct. Will urgent or non urgent updates possibly be able to create the folder again? If the folder is created again we should run the zip again correct? I really appreciate all the work you have done on this. I have flashed this on my new tablet but not my old one because my old one has bliss pop. I did flash it on my new one because of the security problems.
15th August 2015, 09:07 PM |#31  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 359

More
Is there a way to flash the file on a stock unrooted tablet

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)