Thanks Meter: 834

By Bogdacutu, Senior Member on 15th August 2015, 07:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th September 2015, 11:12 PM |#651  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereCoffeeFlowsLikeMud

Same here. There are lots of reports from folk who've installed the mod, and lots of reports from folk who've got an urgent update waiting in the wings, but very few from folk who've installed the mod, received their new tab, and connected their old tab with urgent pending updates to the net, and are still enjoying the hardware unrestrained. I won't feel comfortable about connecting my old tab to the net until a reasonable number of folk have a modded tab still working after a couple of weeks of activating the new tab.

I rooted my old tablet, manually deleted TegraOTA and flashed with Blisspop, to be on the safe side. The urgent kill OTA has been activated for it, but it's still working fine and I started using the new tablet a couple of weeks ago. With the new tablet I accepted the update and haven't changed it, removed TegraOTA or anything and it is also working fine.
Thanks to Bogdacutu and everyone for a great thread!
10th September 2015, 02:03 AM |#652  

More
Hey guys,

I have been reading through this entire thread for days trying to understand what is necessary for this installation. I have literally no experience moding or flashing or playing around with the innards of any android device, so this is a learning curve for me. What we are trying to accomplish is flashing this zip file directly into the internals of our Shield Tablet to avoid the kill switch.

Now... the problem is that this forum is very squirrely... one person says one thing, another person says another... and when anyone asks for a step by step guide... they get told to read through the whole damn 651 - post thread. I think what we need here is a comprehensive, step by step guide that is attached to the original post (or if not possible, because I don't know the rules of this forum, a new thread) - from the guy who knows exactly what it takes to go from a crisp Y01 Nvidia shield to one with the ability to kill the kill switch. If that's too much work, and you guys know a web site that will tell us EXACTLY what to do, by all means, attach it to the first page.

If you really read through this forum, there are many people (and many more who have not posted) who have just been introduced to moding because they want to save their tablet from the scrap heap. Please, please, please empathize with those who just want to see that a good tablet doesn't go to waste (looking at you, head honcho ). Otherwise I think 70% of this thread will be filled with "obviously" answerable questions and people with real problems that need solving will not get the attention they require.
10th September 2015, 03:23 AM |#653  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekafied

Hey guys,

I have been reading through this entire thread for days trying to understand what is necessary for this installation. I have literally no experience moding or flashing or playing around with the innards of any android device, so this is a learning curve for me. What we are trying to accomplish is flashing this zip file directly into the internals of our Shield Tablet to avoid the kill switch.

Now... the problem is that this forum is very squirrely... one person says one thing, another person says another... and when anyone asks for a step by step guide... they get told to read through the whole damn 651 - post thread. I think what we need here is a comprehensive, step by step guide that is attached to the original post (or if not possible, because I don't know the rules of this forum, a new thread) - from the guy who knows exactly what it takes to go from a crisp Y01 Nvidia shield to one with the ability to kill the kill switch. If that's too much work, and you guys know a web site that will tell us EXACTLY what to do, by all means, attach it to the first page.

If you really read through this forum, there are many people (and many more who have not posted) who have just been introduced to moding because they want to save their tablet from the scrap heap. Please, please, please empathize with those who just want to see that a good tablet doesn't go to waste (looking at you, head honcho ). Otherwise I think 70% of this thread will be filled with "obviously" answerable questions and people with real problems that need solving will not get the attention they require.

I understand what you're saying but the problem is that the only thing NEW in this thread is flashing the nomoreota zip that the OP created. The steps needed to flash this one file (unlocking the bootloader, installing a recovery, obtaining root) were laid out long before this thread was created. If you are going to hack your device like people do on XDA you are expected to know the bare minimum of requirements. After that, if you have any problems, read through other people's threads to see if they solved a similar problem.

I don't post that often on here but the people that repeatedly give the same instructions for flashing this tablet have way more patience than I do. I was able to do all of these steps by starting with a Google search.

Forgive me if I'm seem mean spirited because that is not my intention. The OP did us a favor by finding this solution so now it's on us to do the legwork needed to implement that solution for our own devices.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to d-style For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift d-style Ad-Free
10th September 2015, 06:44 AM |#654  

More
Hi,

I understand ppl's attitude here towards questions from ppl like me who don't have vast experience in modding. You're saying that we should have bare minimum knowledge for unlocking, rooting and modding to do this. I understand this. At the same time there are plenty of people saying that even failing in modding without any experience is better than letting kill-switch activate. Also, please note that at this time kill switch for shield is quite hot topic in internet and this thread is the number 1 result in google. This leads people desperate to save their shield here. You are not going to drive them away being tough or uniformative. If you want them to leave you alone, you could mod first post (of which I want to give great kudos to OP) so that it has links to basic flashing/unlocking/rooting guides (that CAN be found from 66 pages of messages, I read them, but most ppl won't) for Shield.

Again, thank you for making it possible to save the Shield and thank you for your patience for newbies. Even if you're developer/modder forum, at this point try to understand that you're also number 1 result in google and think if you could serve a public a bit more readily, only to reduce spam if nothing else.
10th September 2015, 07:25 AM |#655  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
I tend to agreee with these guys... Bogdacutu, could you add in the first post a link or a few steps prior to nomoreota.zip flashing ? Would save a lot of further repetitive questions.
On the other hand,this question was asked so many times that any of you, new commers, would only need to go max. 5 pages back from here to see the steps. I found it over 3 times
10th September 2015, 07:27 AM |#656  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekafied

Hey guys,

I would recommended you read this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53951593 it is a guide for nexus devices but the information on getting your computer set up, (installing fastboot/adb), and basic commands like unlocking your bootloader are universal. It will get you started up to the point where you unlock your bootloader. Then you need to come back to this thread to read up on flashing TWRP and the nomoreOTA zip.
DO NOT USE ANY TWRP OR RECOVERY LINKS FROM THE GUIDE I LINKED. DO NOT USE FACTORY IMAGES FROM THE GUIDE LINKED. THESE ARE NOT FOR THE SHIELD.
Just read the guide, it will help you understand the basics and get you ready to go.

EDIT: the link in Topcat's post below is also great. If you are new to rooting read both guides before proceeding.
The Following User Says Thank You to frenziedfemale For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift frenziedfemale Ad-Free
10th September 2015, 07:30 AM |#657  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenziedfemale

I would recommended you read this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53951593 it is a guide for nexus devices but the information on getting your computer set up, (installing fastboot/adb), and basic commands like unlocking your bootloader are universal. It will get you started up to the point where you unlock your bootloader. Then you need to come back to this thread to read up on flashing TWRP and the nomoreOTA zip.
DO NOT USE ANY TWRP OR RECOVERY LINKS FROM THE GUIDE I LINKED. DO NOT USE FACTORY IMAGES FROM THE GUIDE LINKED. THESE ARE NOT FOR THE SHIELD.
Just read the guide, it will help you understand the basics and get you ready to go.

EDIT: I stand corrected

Great start for noobs !
And here are the steps for the Shield tablet: http://forum.xda-developers.com/shie...lipop-t2972316
The Following User Says Thank You to topcat36 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift topcat36 Ad-Free
10th September 2015, 07:40 AM |#658  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat36

There is a thread for the shield you know. Maybe we get here locked tablets from flashing nexus OTAs.

Here you go: http://forum.xda-developers.com/shie...lipop-t2972316

That is why I said not to flash them! But for newbies the quide I linked explains what fastboot is and how to install the required fastboot/ADB (Android sdk). Things many may not understand. Before they can even get to unlocking bootloder and flashing.
10th September 2015, 12:17 PM |#659  

More
I even thought that the lockage would be already included in the latest update and we just needed to connect to the web so it could change a value and the device wouldnt turn on anymore. Thank god it is a downloaded file instead

For now I will have my old tablet for offline only and later on I decide what to do with it. I still wanna see if later on even with a CFW or something else the device could still be locked somehow by nvidia...

ps: I wish is that we could later install wind 10 natively in it since it will support ARM...
10th September 2015, 12:45 PM |#660  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 834

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat36

I tend to agreee with these guys... Bogdacutu, could you add in the first post a link or a few steps prior to nomoreota.zip flashing ? Would save a lot of further repetitive questions.
On the other hand,this question was asked so many times that any of you, new commers, would only need to go max. 5 pages back from here to see the steps. I found it over 3 times

Although I don't exactly agree with that (as it detracts from the point of the thread, even though it's a little bit late to care about that now), if someone wants to make a guide and post it either in this thread or in a new thread, I'll gladly link to it in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guily6669

ps: I wish is that we could later install wind 10 natively in it since it will support ARM...

Even Windows CE supports ARM too, but they are all useless without proper drivers.
10th September 2015, 05:46 PM |#661  
Flag Prostějov
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thumbs up
Bogdacutu, thanks for your work, you are the best
I have the new with stock rom and the old is for experiments but i have one question. I have ubuntu on old tablet and in VLC player i have no video only audio. Is there any way how to fix it?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)