[OFFICIAL] Android 6.0 Marshmallow Update Details

Search This thread

xsquid

Nov 22, 2011
San Martin Toltepec
Well, I've been on vacation for about a couple weeks and haven't followed the issues here too closely. I keep seeing comments that TWRP isn't working. Can someone quote this post and list what exactly the problem is? Doesn't boot at all? Or has problems doing stuff?

Doesn't boot, can't install or get to recovery on twrp. The only thing working with mm right now is the modified boot img earlier in the thread and installing the apk from the store afterward but mine jumped the shark after several hours so I am running unrooted mm. Patiently waiting for a working twrp from those that can, with great respect and thanks I might add.

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer
see if this works for recovery.

It's the latest twrp 2873 with the MM k1 zImage inserted.

Works fine for me on a not really booting, doing my head in but I'm getting somewhere slowly original shield tablet.

I Don't know if this survives a full system boot, as I've not gotten that far yet !
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery 60recovery.img

EDIT
That's now not booting either, but it was before I posted it.
Not frustrated at all...

EDIT again
The new blob changes the size of the cache, that is breaking recovery. (that's what it appears to be doing, for definite it changes the size of the sparse uploads, but the total partition is reporting the same size, colour me puddled).
Flashed the blob from the 311 build and recovery works (this again is on original shield)

Attachments

• 60recovery.img
    11.5 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:

nielsscholte

Jun 5, 2013
see if this works for recovery.

It's the latest twrp 2873 with the MM k1 zImage inserted.

Works fine for me on a not really booting, doing my head in but I'm getting somewhere slowly original shield tablet.

I Don't know if this survives a full system boot, as I've not gotten that far yet !
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery 60recovery.img

EDIT
That's now not booting either, but it was before I posted it.
Not frustrated at all...

EDIT again
The new blob changes the size of the cache, that is breaking recovery. (that's what it appears to be doing, for definite it changes the size of the sparse uploads, but the total partition is reporting the same size, colour me puddled).
Flashed the blob from the 311 build and recovery works (this again is on original shield)

Can you please tell me step by step how to get MM on the original shield tablet?

fards

Can you please tell me step by step how to get MM on the original shield tablet?

1 learn development
2 buy a blindfold
3 try to pickapart the difference between the two seemingly identical, but obviously not identical tablets. using said blindfold.
4 spend far too much time trying different things to get this rom to work
4a try to get nvidias old early console mode working so you can take the blindfold off enough to see what's going wrong.
4b realise they don't do the early console mode any more
5 spend more time responding to questions from people that haven't read the thread.
5a try to spend some holiday time with kids whilst also trying to get this to work.

do you think if I had this working, or if someone else had this working we might have said by now?
seriously?

You even quoted me saying that it wasn't booting..
TWICE!

and before someone else says I'm on my high horse or similar.

I'm not, but I do find questions like that very frustrating.
along with the damn near identical ones that keep popping up in my PM inbox.

Last edited:

fards

Can someone who has a K1 tablet with 6.0 running please post the results of

fastboot getvar all

I get
Code:
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.0
(bootloader) version-baseband: 2.0
(bootloader) version: 0.4
(bootloader) serialno: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) mid: 001
(bootloader) product: ShieldTablet
(bootloader) secure: no
(bootloader) unlocked: yes
(bootloader) partition-size:bootloader: 0x0000000000600000
(bootloader) partition-type:bootloader: basic
(bootloader) partition-size:recovery: 0x0000000001000000
(bootloader) partition-type:recovery: basic
(bootloader) partition-size:boot: 0x0000000001000000
(bootloader) partition-type:boot: basic
(bootloader) partition-size:dtb: 0x0000000000400000
(bootloader) partition-type:dtb: basic
(bootloader) partition-size:system: 0x0000000050000000
(bootloader) partition-type:system: ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:cache: 0x0000000040000000
(bootloader) partition-type:cache: ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:userdata: 0x0000000311600000
(bootloader) partition-type:userdata: ext4
all:
finished. total time: 0.143s

aaronne

Dec 26, 2015
@fards
Thanks for time spent to us
Code:
C:\adb>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version-mts: 0
(bootloader) serialno: 042441580159400xxxx
(bootloader) max-download-size: 0x06000000
(bootloader) partition-size:bootloader: 0x00000000006000
(bootloader) partition-size:system: 0x0000000080000000
(bootloader) partition-size:cache: 0x0000000010000000
(bootloader) partition-size:userdata: 0x0000000311280000
all:finished. total time: 0.173s

K1 tablet 2nd gen. Supersu -eng and blob flashed.

Microsd 32GB used and formatted as internal memory (only borderlands seem to vanish at every reboot)

Last edited:

fards

@fards
Thanks for time spent to us
Code:
C:\adb>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version-mts: 0
(bootloader) serialno: 042441580159400xxxx
(bootloader) max-download-size: 0x06000000
(bootloader) partition-size:bootloader: 0x00000000006000
(bootloader) partition-size:system: 0x0000000080000000
(bootloader) partition-size:cache: 0x0000000010000000
(bootloader) partition-size:userdata: 0x0000000311280000
all:finished. total time: 0.173s

K1 tablet 2nd gen. Supersu -eng and blob flashed.

Microsd 32GB used and formatted as internal memory (only borderlands seem to vanish at every reboot)

That's brilliant thanks.

so partition table is different.
k1 has much larger system 2147483648 versus 1342177280
userdata is slightly smaller 13176406016 versus 13172736000
and cache is quite a lot smaller, 268435456 versus 1073741824

wonder about manually formatting the st8 to the same.
guess would need to manually flash k1 bootloader.
it's possible to manually fastboot format the partitions to different sizes, not certain if the bootloader will check them first though.

on the upside, worked out that the blob contains the u-boot, which is why the file transfer size goes up.

Last edited:

fards

in answer to myself

fastboot format:ext4:0x0000000010000000 cache
and the corresponding k1 userdata both report success
system won't expand out.

none survives reboot.

Code:
Warning: cache size is 0x0000000040000000, but 0x0000000010000000 was requested for formating.
Creating filesystem with parameters:
    Size: 268435456
    Block size: 4096
    Blocks per group: 32768
    Inodes per group: 8192
    Inode size: 256
    Journal blocks: 1024
    Label:
    Blocks: 65536
    Block groups: 2
    Reserved block group size: 15
Created filesystem with 11/16384 inodes and 2089/65536 blocks
target reported max download size of 100663296 bytes
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [  0.575s]
sending 'cache' (6248 KB)...
OKAY [  0.287s]
writing 'cache'...
OKAY [  0.208s]
finished. total time: 1.075s

nielsscholte

Jun 5, 2013
1 learn development
2 buy a blindfold
3 try to pickapart the difference between the two seemingly identical, but obviously not identical tablets. using said blindfold.
4a try to get nvidias old early console mode working so you can take the blindfold off enough to see what's going wrong.
5 spend more time responding to questions from people that haven't read the thread.
5a try to spend some holiday time with kids whilst also trying to get this to work.

do you think if I had this working, or if someone else had this working we might have said by now?
seriously?

TWICE!

Okay sorry, just excited to get my hands on MM for the original shield

ThePhoneGeek

May 13, 2012
An Undisclosed Location
Okay sorry, just excited to get my hands on MM for the original shield

If you had read the whole thread you would have learned that it is not out for the original shield tablet yet and the version out for the K1 won't work largely because the partitions aren't the same on the original shield as the K1.

Please be patient and don't clutter the thread with questions that are already answered. If it can be done someone will post it.

xsquid

Nov 22, 2011
San Martin Toltepec
Well, running stock ota mm right now to try it and I am going back to lollipop as I have random reboots, apps not coming up after reboot, freezing up. I have restored several times to see if it gets better but for me lollipop was much more stable and I really hate the way the sd is treated with mm. You cannot move apps in portable mode and you cannot access internal in adopted mode. I much prefer rooted lollipop as there is nothing else I care about. I'm sure nobody cares, just stating my disappointment with marshmallow. If a stable stock type marshmallow rom comes out I will probably try it, that is what I am running on my moto x pure as stock mm was ustable on it also, but I may just stay on lollipop on the shield.

fards

whats odd is the factory image for the k1 is up on nvidias opensource now.
The images are smaller than the original shield tablet tn8.
can't see anything in the update that would have changed partitions, so I presume they were set ootb like that, but ran with a lot of free system space.

pity nvidia don't release apx images.

Last edited:

aaronne

Dec 26, 2015
@aaronne can you pull the dtb out of your k1 for me please?
tempted to try the bootloader as well, but not sure how sensible that is.. suppose I could try it on the spare tablet running linux4tegra if you can pull it off.

dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/DTB of=/data/tmp/k1dtb

Sorry but I think that I'm not sure to understand, can I simply pull out from the tablet with a file manager sw or I need a Unix-like machine to run DD command?
I'm only a poor win's sys amin and a scriptkiddie, my learning about coding is stopped 20 years ago with turbo pascal xD
so guide me llittle more if you could
Kind Regards

Last edited:

Vartom

Apr 2, 2015
That's brilliant thanks.

so partition table is different.
k1 has much larger system 2147483648 versus 1342177280
userdata is slightly smaller 13176406016 versus 13172736000
and cache is quite a lot smaller, 268435456 versus 1073741824

wonder about manually formatting the st8 to the same.
guess would need to manually flash k1 bootloader.
it's possible to manually fastboot format the partitions to different sizes, not certain if the bootloader will check them first though.

on the upside, worked out that the blob contains the u-boot, which is why the file transfer size goes up.

ps in BoardConfig.mk
ifeq ($(TARGET_PRODUCT), sb_na_wf)
BOARD_SYSTEMIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 2147483648
else
BOARD_SYSTEMIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 1342177280

castrwilliam

Dec 15, 2011
Phoenix
I'm pretty busy at the moment trying to figure out Arch Linux for Shield, but I'd recommend looking for source code for Nvidia's u-boot, if any is available. That might really help you guys out with your OG Shield tablets.

Related: I've never used the whole thing, but if someone could get it working on this along with a suitable interface I'd be ecstatic.

fards

I'm pretty busy at the moment trying to figure out Arch Linux for Shield, but I'd recommend looking for source code for Nvidia's u-boot, if any is available. That might really help you guys out with your OG Shield tablets.

Related: I've never used the whole thing, but if someone could get it working on this along with a suitable interface I'd be ecstatic.

there's this
https://github.com/NVIDIA/tegra-uboot-flasher-scripts

although it doesn't look anywhere near as useful as Apx and nvflash used to be.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Time to fix the recovery issue.

twrp-20151227-EXPERIMENTAL-shieldtablet-m.img

This is labeled experimental for a reason. Yes, it boots on the new bootloader and seems to work okay. But, it is built from the very latest TWRP code, which to my knowledge isn't stable yet. That being said, I've only seen a couple annoyances like after screen timeout, it won't come back. I also haven't tested backup and restore (cm-13.0 still doesn't boot, so I have nothing to gauge that with anyways). So, here there be dragons and all that jazz.

Another note: It seems something major changed with this new bootloader and kernel. They are no longer inter-compatible. Eg. L roms and recoveries will not boot on the new bootloader and vice-versa. I don't know if there will be a workaround or not, but for now keep in mind that if you want to go back to Android 5.1, you'll have to flash an older blob first, like the one in my CM thread.
    hoooverybloodyra!

:victory:Hmmm worms...
    Tasty

Guess what works, feel so very very very stupid to have missed that. Been back through my term logs on the vmware and spotted that none of the symlinks extracted properly..
    Completely missed that the first time.
    So that's several days of trying to work out what was going on when something so simple was my error. #whatatw@
    Image uploading:cowboy:

I've uploaded a modified reduced system image to androidfilehost.

needs flashing with fastboot, haven't made an update zip yet.

To get this working on the OG tablet tb8 !

you need fastboot,
    do the following from bootloader (power and righthand volume)

Code:
    fastboot flash staging blob
    (from castrwilliam) http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64431114&postcount=110
    poweroff (for me the blob doesn't take on a reboot, needed complete power off and boot to get it to work .
    boot to bootloader
    Code:
    fastboot getvar all              <<<<< if you see    (bootloader) max-download-size: 0x06000000 then you have the correct blob flashed. 
    fastboot format system 
    fastboot erase recovery 
    fastboot format cache 
    fastboot flash boot boot.img (from castwilliam)
    fastboot flash recovery twrpXXXXXXXXXXXX (from steel01 [url]http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64520513&postcount=229[/url]) 
    fastboot flash system reducedsystem.img  [B]([url]https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=46449[/url])[/B]
    fastboot reboot

you will probably need
    Code:
    fastboot erase userdata
    as well, as it doesn't play nicely dirty flashed from what I can see (that might be just down to my experiments) .
    EDIT
    Some people are saying Erase gives you a bootloop (Didn't here but hey ho :D )
    if so then use
    Code:
    fastboot format userdata
    instead

I've modified the build.prop to allow stylus in settings, not feedback to nvidia and ignore the recovery type.
    easy enough to rectify if you don't want them
    The Images

Yeah, the reason I didn't post the links yet is because I forgot to flash the new blob while testing my images, and neither the latest official TWRP nor the 3.1.1 stock recovery would boot afterwards. After a few hours of headbanging I figured that out.

Here are the files.

Staging Blob (must flash): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2bDl0UV9tS3BEbzA/view?usp=sharing
    Boot Image (must flash, aka: kernel and ramdisk): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2bHByWi1kaXZtWm8/view?usp=sharing
    Rooted Boot Image (flash instead of normal Boot Image for root, thank you to @yubimusubii for the method): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2ZWROeFF6WTNaNFU/view?usp=sharing
    System Sparse Image (must flash): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2ZkJlcTE1MTZPdlk/view?usp=sharing

The following files were not present in the OTA, but you might want/need them anyway if you want to do a full factory restore.
    Stock Recovery Image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2SjVzZHBKaDFoTFU/view?usp=sharing
    Data Sparse Image (aka userdata, THIS WILL OVERWRITE ALL YOUR FILES, PLEASE BACKUP FIRST): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2Q3oxQWFURE9KYk0/view?usp=sharing

The smaller files (blob and both boot images) are also attachments on this post, if you prefer to get them directly from here. They're compressed with 7-Zip so they can fit within XDA attachment limits.

You'll want to flash them with fastboot commands. If you don't know exactly how to do that, then I don't think this is a project for you.

WARNING: These images are only partially tested! I haven't tried to boot back into either stock or TWRP recovery since I fixed the blob! I shall not be held responsible for glassing of planets, resonance cascades, portal storms or great disturbances in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced!!!

1 learn development
    2 buy a blindfold

seriously?

TWICE!