FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

WiFi problems? Potential easy solution

45 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By glycopoo, Member on 7th September 2014, 05:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've been having some issues with Wi-Fi, that as others have described manifest specifically when your hand is holding the device at the bottom in portrait mode (ie. Near the stylus).

My solution has been to hold the device "upside-down". Fortunately the shield tablet let's you have 180 degree rotation. Now that I use that as my default portrait orientation, i'm becoming more used to it. Additionally, the charging port is on the bottom, which I prefer. The button location I'm still getting used to, but I can deal.

Just wanted to share this simple change that for me has made this awesome tablet much more functional.

7th September 2014, 11:15 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,005

More
Heh, I've been doing this as well. No particular problems with WiFi here per se, but doing this I get better signal strength which offends my OCD less.
7th September 2014, 05:25 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Oh please, that is not a solution at all. It's a ghetto ass workaround.

Just wait until you accidentally hold the tablet "the wrong way" after switching from landscape mode. It's totally ridiculous that you have to pay attention to what orientation you hold it, and actually have to hold the thing upside down to get it to work at all.

This tablet is total garbage that was never even tested. Companies that push this garbage on you don't deserve for users to put up with half assed workarounds. They deserve to have every single sale returned for a refund.

This tablet is a corvette motor inside a Ford pinto. But it's still just a powerful piece of crap that self destructs.
7th September 2014, 10:35 PM |#4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Seattle truth, This community, in the many years I have followed it, is generally polite and helpful. Your comment is the opposite of that. I wanted to share something that maybe is obvious or simple, but nonetheless effective for my needs.
7th September 2014, 10:36 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1,381

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattletruth

Oh please, that is not a solution at all. It's a ghetto ass workaround.

Just wait until you accidentally hold the tablet "the wrong way" after switching from landscape mode. It's totally ridiculous that you have to pay attention to what orientation you hold it, and actually have to hold the thing upside down to get it to work at all.

This tablet is total garbage that was never even tested. Companies that push this garbage on you don't deserve for users to put up with half assed workarounds. They deserve to have every single sale returned for a refund.

This tablet is a corvette motor inside a Ford pinto. But it's still just a powerful piece of crap that self destructs.

I've never has any Wi-Fi issues related to the connection once I'm connected.. The issue with the Wi-Fi had to do with the k1 chip set and how it sleeps. I don't know what these guys are talking about with having signal issues while using it. I get great Wi-Fi signal on this tablet. Name:  1410125752659.jpg
Views: 35812
Size:  42.3 KB

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using XDA Free mobile app
8th September 2014, 04:27 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Shrek, didn't mean to be rude to you. More pissed off at Nvidia for releasing shut a shoddy tablet.
8th September 2014, 06:27 PM |#7  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Quote:

Shrek, didn't mean to be rude to you. More pissed off at Nvidia for releasing shut a shoddy tablet.

As you've made known ad nauseum over @ the GeForce forums.
8th September 2014, 07:40 PM |#8  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 124

More
Quote:

If it's such a piece of ****, I'll buy it off you for $100.
10th September 2014, 04:52 AM |#9  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 68

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathman85

If it's such a piece of ****, I'll buy it off you for $100.

If it is the same seattletruth from the NVidia Forums he returned his tablet very early on, but is committed to educating folks about the shortcomings of the product.

Update: g1xx3r beat me to it...
13th September 2014, 03:37 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 158

More
Hm, just got my Shield Tablet. Yes, I have inconsistent Wi-Fi connection.

I haven't changed my router for quite some time and used it with Nexus 7, Note 8, Samsung Note 10.1 and iPad Air - no problem.

It's got to be this tablet, or a batch of it given some are not having this problem.
13th September 2014, 10:40 PM |#11  
Flag Lebanon, PA
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I have the same issues with mine and yes, the router connects to ALL my other devices fine. I go into the play store and I also can't watch the video up top for the app preview. Youtube app works fine. I have tried everything and even put the tablet to Static. I have had alot of tablets and this is the first one I am having this much problems with. I hope there is an update soon or at least a normal fix.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)