45 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By glycopoo, Member on 7th September 2014, 05:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th September 2014, 10:40 PM |#11  
Flag Lebanon, PA
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I have the same issues with mine and yes, the router connects to ALL my other devices fine. I go into the play store and I also can't watch the video up top for the app preview. Youtube app works fine. I have tried everything and even put the tablet to Static. I have had alot of tablets and this is the first one I am having this much problems with. I hope there is an update soon or at least a normal fix.

14th September 2014, 01:05 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 10,854

More
Thanks bro! This does work great! :thumbup:

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
14th September 2014, 02:10 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 449

More
Fixed it real quick by returning to Best Buy. Weak wifi on a wifi centric device IMO is asinine and holding upside down does not fix all of the issue. Silly to have to do as well.

My 3DS has stronger 2.4 wifi. That is beyond sad. Also have the Shield 1 that has much better wifi.

The crack issue and 95C core temp also is a concern. The device has a hotter running chip the Shield 1, but no ventilation or fan.
14th September 2014, 06:00 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I posted this in the Nvidia forum as well.

I've tested the wifi on my tablet in a bunch of different ways using ookla speed test and general chrome browsing. I have come to pretty much the same conclusion most people in here have. The wifi is weaker than most other wifi devices but this will not be noticed in an ideal wifi setup. For folks with less than ideal wifi setups, they are affected more.

There are a few caveats to my test: I am not using gamestream, so I can not comment on that. And I have such low wifi speed from my ISP (30mbps), that I can not test 5ghz top download speeds vs 2.4ghz top download speeds (because they both easily top out at 30mbps).

I want to go over the things that have improved my wifi performance.

1: Switching to 2.4ghz wifi. This has made the biggest difference for me. Paul Deemer was saying that not using 5ghz wifi is the best for the ST and I agree. I will switch to 5ghz when I gamestream and switch it back to 2.4ghz when I'm done gamestreaming (when I finally get my gaming PC back next month).

If you do need to use 5ghz wifi, see below for other improvements.

2: Using a wifi analyzer app to set my wifi channels up. My apple router is supposed to do this automatically, but when I used the wifi analyzer app I noticed that my channels were crowded.

I set my 2.4ghz wifi channel to an empty channel and I got a full bar more wifi strength in my living room. I set my 5ghz wifi to the highest channel I possibly could (I think 160) and I got a full bar more wifi strength in my living room as well.

3: Avoiding the wifi antenna. This only affects 5ghz wifi for me. When I use 2.4ghz this issue goes away.

http://youtu.be/7v3AR6gZNYQ

4: Using a cover. The cover seems to keep you hand from interfering with the wifi antenna. This is not a total fix, but it does help. Just like in this video at 6:30.

Wifi Death Grip Samsung Galaxy S4 Workaround: http://youtu.be/ySIUuMAvduM

5: Moving your router. If you're having wifi issues you could always try moving your router. I will be moving my router to my living room where I eventually will be gamestreaming.

All of this stuff has been talked about before in this thread and others. I just hope to help anyone out who is still having wifi issues.
4th November 2015, 06:09 PM |#15  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I use Netspot app to analyze my Wi-Fi Coverage. You need just a few clicks to load your home plan or area map and start a network site survey
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)