FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Amazon Prime Video on Demand on Android TV Devices

120 posts
Thanks Meter: 199

Thread Closed Email Thread
Admin note: by the request of Amazon, we have removed the attached files. Please refrain from reposting. Thread closed.
The Following 62 Users Say Thank You to will.blaschko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift will.blaschko Ad-Free

25th December 2015, 08:37 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA

Donate to Me
More
Full write up on the project here:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/prime...ll-blaschko-ma

Screenshots:

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to will.blaschko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift will.blaschko Ad-Free
25th December 2015, 10:20 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hey there,

thank you very much for the great work!
Unfortunately it does not work for me - but this must be an issue with having a German Amazon Prime Account ?
Do you think you can enable settings to also include other countries for it?

Also different issue:
I now tried to use the amazon video application and browsed the shop via RF mouse and keyboard... but whenever I select a movie to play I always get the error: Amazon Video has stopped. So it crashes on me
The Following User Says Thank You to nobo2k For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nobo2k Ad-Free
25th December 2015, 10:54 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 244

Donate to Me
More
Nice work, works fine here. Unfortunately no HD, or UHD. Fortunately I have 4k amazon on my TV but would love to have on the shield. Amazon needs to stop making money selling android and then hosing all other android devices. They are only hurting their customers. I have prime, let me watch it where I want. I tried a 4k firetv, it was garbage for everything but amazon video. This is why content vendors should not play in the hardware market... they get confused

anyway, nice work. App works great.
The Following User Says Thank You to gottahavit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gottahavit Ad-Free
25th December 2015, 11:30 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobo2k

Hey there,

thank you very much for the great work!
Unfortunately it does not work for me - but this must be an issue with having a German Amazon Prime Account ?
Do you think you can enable settings to also include other countries for it?

Also different issue:
I now tried to use the amazon video application and browsed the shop via RF mouse and keyboard... but whenever I select a movie to play I always get the error: Amazon Video has stopped. So it crashes on me

@nobo2k I'll see if I can add German support to it, I'll check how the api I used handles Amazon.de. I'll have to add settings in the launcher app too. I'll try to add all the locations Amazon supports, but it might take a few days. I'll ping you with the update
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to will.blaschko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift will.blaschko Ad-Free
25th December 2015, 11:33 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavit

Nice work, works fine here. Unfortunately no HD, or UHD. Fortunately I have 4k amazon on my TV but would love to have on the shield. Amazon needs to stop making money selling android and then hosing all other android devices. They are only hurting their customers. I have prime, let me watch it where I want. I tried a 4k firetv, it was garbage for everything but amazon video. This is why content vendors should not play in the hardware market... they get confused

anyway, nice work. App works great.

There are settings pages the Amazon VOD app manifest exposes that allow you to change streaming settings for video and audio (but I think it maxes at 1080p high quality). When I'm adding international support I'll try to expose direct access to those settings as well .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to will.blaschko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift will.blaschko Ad-Free
26th December 2015, 12:30 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
It would be great If you add german amazon prime video. I would be eternally thankful. Will check this thread regular ! Thanks man
26th December 2015, 05:22 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl.grey

It would be great If you add german amazon prime video. I would be eternally thankful. Will check this thread regular ! Thanks man

@earl.grey & @nobo2k the new APK should have support for Amazon Prime Germany, in theory. The intents and data seem to be working correctly, but I don't have a German Prime account to test video playback with. Let me know if this works for you, if not, we'll figure something out.
@gottahavit I've exposed the video settings page of the Amazon VoD app, it's possible to change the settings to "Best," but I think that's still just 1080p high quality. I think it looks better than the default settings. The link is below all the video feeds in the "Settings" section.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to will.blaschko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift will.blaschko Ad-Free
26th December 2015, 07:18 AM |#9  
Flag Clovis
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Thumbs up Keep up the amazing work
Awesome job, Will! You're definitely on the right track with this app, I read your full write up and I was surprised how far you've come in such a short amount of time!

That said, there's a few limitations to the current app and it would be nice to get an issue tracker going for this project (assuming you want to keep developing it!)
For example, there seems to be a considerable amount of Prime Video content missing, as the search seems to be limited to only the content displayed on the launch screen. It would be nice to expand upon this

Also I was curious to know why you recommend using the 2.0.45 version of Amazon VOD app instead of the latest 3.0.63 and version 5.4.3 of Amazon Shopping instead of 6.1.4.
If I had to guess I'm assuming only the older versions allow you to build an app like this but I'm wondering if there's any tradeoffs (aka newer versions support better video quality, more titles, etc)

Thanks again for the hard work!
26th December 2015, 07:40 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
You have done an amazing job on this app! By any chance, can you get close captions to work?
I figured it out. You just have to enable it for one video in the original app, and it enables it for all other videos.

Also, would it be possible to add purchased videos to view in this app?

Thanks again!
26th December 2015, 09:06 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Thanks for the cool idea and the effort. Unfortunately, it does not work yet for me (Amazon Germany, NVIDIA Shield TV).

The 1.1 version gets rid of the "wrong account" error message. But Instant Video crashes when trying to play a video. This also happened with some of my own tries of various Amazon Video versions (without your launcher). This may have to do with the Shield TV.

In the settings, I can only choose the quality for mobile or to use WiFi only. Also, the quality of the "SD download". It's essentially the same as on my tablet. I don't know, if this will be 1080p.

After choosing a better quality, it does not crash anymore on playback, but just does nothing.

Also, it would be nice to see my own watchlist in your launcher.

Another idea: Maybe using the official Android TV version (for Sony TVs) would be a better foundation?

Thanks!
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread