[RECOVERY] [UNOFFICIAL] TWRP - Shield Android TV 2017 & 2015 - All Models

Search This thread

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Question: why is anyone using this over official? Afaik, there aren't any problems with official. If there are, they need reported and I need to go fix them.

@ comment about lack of development: Lineage is still being worked on. Isn't a whole lot of discussion here about it, but I'm still actively supporting custom rom development. Just not any derivative roms like there are for the shield tablet.

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
Question: why is anyone using this over official? Afaik, there aren't any problems with official. If there are, they need reported and I need to go fix them.

@ comment about lack of development: Lineage is still being worked on. Isn't a whole lot of discussion here about it, but I'm still actively supporting custom rom development. Just not any derivative roms like there are for the shield tablet.
Is there an official release for Darcy (2017) ? I only see a release for Foster (2015)
https://twrp.me/nvidia/nvidiahshieldandroidtv.html

Zulu99 (left xda) points at this thread as the only recovery for both 2015 and 2017... but this bricked two devices for me.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Is there an official release for Darcy (2017) ? I only see a release for Foster (2015)

Zulu99 (left xda) points at this thread as the only recovery for both 2015 and 2017... but this bricked two devices for me.

Foster and darcy are unified in everything I release. The official twrp recovery and Lineage releases both support several models. Namely here: foster_e (2015 emmc), foster_e_hdd (sata/pro), and darcy (2017 emmc). In theory the china version will boot too.

And it should be pretty hard to brick an nvidia device. Now, foster did have some *really* bad bugs earlier in relation to flashing and bootloader stuff. But I haven't seen those lately. Should always be able to use the controller to get to the bootloader and flash a new recovery and all. If something doesn't work right, report it in the appropriate thread.

Reactions: britoso

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
Foster and darcy are unified in everything I release. The official twrp recovery and Lineage releases both support several models. Namely here: foster_e (2015 emmc), foster_e_hdd (sata/pro), and darcy (2017 emmc). In theory the china version will boot too.

And it should be pretty hard to brick an nvidia device. Now, foster did have some *really* bad bugs earlier in relation to flashing and bootloader stuff. But I haven't seen those lately. Should always be able to use the controller to get to the bootloader and flash a new recovery and all. If something doesn't work right, report it in the appropriate thread.
Do you have a link to said releases?

I had given up on nvidia shield after two bricks (never gets to fastboot/bootloader after about 20 tries...), but i may attempt it again if I see proof it works :)

Edit: found it https://xdaforums.com/shield-tv/development/recovery-twrp-shield-android-tv-t3510456

Last edited:

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Do you have a link to said releases?
I had given up on nvidia shield after two bricks (never gets to fastboot/bootloader after about 20 tries...), but i may attempt it again if I see proof it works :)
I'm the twrp and lineage maintainer. The official releases on each site. So, for twrp, you already linked it.

I've had some issues with getting to fastboot on darcy, but that normally is due to the controllers battery being dead. Trying plugging it in for a while before trying to get to the bootloader again. Apparently it doesn't get enough power from just being plugged into to the device during boot. Once it had some charge, holding a/b worked for me every time.

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
I'm the twrp and lineage maintainer. The official releases on each site. So, for twrp, you already linked it.

I've had some issues with getting to fastboot on darcy, but that normally is due to the controllers battery being dead. Trying plugging it in for a while before trying to get to the bootloader again. Apparently it doesn't get enough power from just being plugged into to the device during boot. Once it had some charge, holding a/b worked for me every time.
Thanks for replying Steel01! I love TWRP on my other devices!!!
I didnt get the version with game controller, so i was getting in via a usb keyboard and pressing keys A and B.
After flashing/booting this recovery it refused to get in and complained about corruption.

Maybe it was the system/vendor ROM that caused it, but the zulu99 full android ROM is the only ROM I am interested in. Spoiled by having the same full android experience on my nexus player for the last 3 years.

Last edited:

tuszyn

Mar 7, 2010
Hi,

I'm trying to root my Shield 2017 16GB, but i seem to be doing something wrong. My bootloader is unlocked.
After i have uploaded the twrp (is it official or unofficial from this thread) to my shield and i'm rebooting into recovery:
- If nothing is connected to the shield or connected is the game pad it will start, but i have zero control. And the mouse if i connect it later after being in recovery is not being powered on as i see it.
- If the mouse or keyboard is connected during boot it will hold on the nvidia logo while going to recovery. I did wait several hours but i did not load recovery.

I did some reading but found no posts with similar problem. Can someone help me out?

I want to root because the shield is not having wifi, as the mac address is set to 02:00:00:00:00:00 and a back flash to earlier version of the original system did not help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flash at your own risk!
    Not responsible for any damage you may do by attempting to modify stock software!

Recovery will work on all Shield 16GB 2015, Shield Pro 2015 & Shield 2017 16GB. All models...

You need ADB and FASTBOOT to get this installed.
    You can follow this guide HERE or HERE

See attachments below for download.
    Update 02/01/17
    Added proper device info for 2017 Shield 16GB to allow OTA updates. Should work but not 100% sure if it will.

Extract img file from within zip folder
    Reboot to bootloader

Use one of the two following commands
    To flash recovery
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

To boot into recovery without flashing
    fastboot boot recovery.img

---
    Thanks to TWRP for making the sources available and to @Steel01 for his work on TWRP for original shield which this was ported from.
    4K Test

Anyone with 4K monitor want to test this to see if TWRP is displayed?
    The UI will be off...just wondering if anything will be displayed now. If so then I can fix up the UI layout.
    I was able to unlock the bootloader, enable USB debugging.

I tried flashing the TWRP image, however attempting to boot into recovery gives the sad little android man with the red exclamation (NO COMMAND)

If I attempt to just boot the image I see the TWRP splash screen, then a few seconds later the system reboots.

try disconnecting the usb cable going from your pc to your android box right after hitting enter after typing "fastboot boot twrp.img"

seems to be a bug. make sure it downloads the image all the way before disconnecting.
    Posted a new build which should allow TWRP to handle OTA updates for 2017 Shield 16GB models.
    If someone can post the build.prop file for 2017 Shield Pro then I should be able to add that to the list too for OTA updates