64 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By brandonb21, Member on 20th January 2017, 09:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
As of right now the 2017 Nvidia Shield CAN be rooted. Updated 1/26/2017

What we do know So far.

1. How to access Fast boot mode?

there are two ways to access fast boot. The first way to access fast boot mode,

1. Buy a male to male USB 3 cable, & plug it into the USB port furthest away from the hdmi port.
2. In settings of the shield, go to storage.
3. Enable USB transfer
4. In settings go to about, then build version.
5. Click on build version 5 times.
6. Under settings, go to developer options.
7. Enable USB debugging.
8. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed from Nvidias website.
9. Download ADB Command prompt/fastboot
10. Type "adb devices"
11. You may get a prompt on your shield about allowing debugging, if so make sure you allow it.
12. Type "adb devices" again if a device shows up then great! move on to the next step.
13. Type "adb reboot bootloader"

The second way of getting into fastboot mode, is the following

1. Unplug your power cable from the device.
2. Plug in your Shield game controller in the usb closest to the hdmi port.
3. Hold down buttons A & B.
4. While holding down the two buttons, put in your power cable.
5. Keep holding down the buttons.
6. If all done correctly you should see the fast boot menu now on your screen.

Congratulations your device should now be in the fastboot menu, Note in order to navigate the fast boot menu you will need your game controller plugged into the usb port next to the hdmi port.

2. Is their a download link for the latest OTA update?

Yes, you can get 5.0.1 from here, http://ota-downloads.nvidia.com/ota/...0116175313.zip

3. What will happen if i try and install twrp on my shield?
Your device will try to boot it, then it will reboot and repair the recovery partition of your shield, then boot into androids 7.0 operating system.

4. A unofficial version of TWRP is out
https://forum.xda-developers.com/shi...-2017-t3545544 use at your own risk!

5. Recovery images are out for the 2017 Shield (16GB Only)
5.01 Retail: http://developer.download.nvidia.com...2017-5.0.1.zip
5.01 Developer: http://developer.download.nvidia.com...dev_rooted.zip
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to brandonb21 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift brandonb21 Ad-Free

21st January 2017, 10:07 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 129

More
Can't you directly boot the twrp.img without flashing it first?

fastboot boot twrp...img

Then install SuperSU from there?
21st January 2017, 11:46 AM |#3  
Flag Frankfurt am/Main
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotbuexe

fastboot boot twrp...img

You probably could... But, that in-and-of itself isn't exactly the problem. It's the unfortunate way Google have started implementing System Updates on Nougat going forward. They've call this System the a/b System.

To simply explain it, on Devices which support it. (Like the new Shield 2017, possibly the 2015 post update?), there are now Two System Partitions. The active one, which we have always known. (And, indirectly referencing in your question.), and, the new mirrored System Partition that has Two jobs. One to make System (e.g. Security), Updates simplier, and the other is to make sure the first System Partition does NOT get corrupted by allowing One to say root it or by installing "malicious" Software (i.e. SuperSU) onto the Device. Without it blasting it straight out of existence again.

So yes you could try to load TRWP up from somewhere, and install SuperSU. Like you've always done. But, as soon as you start to reboot it again the a/b System will revert your hard work again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ichijoe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ichijoe Ad-Free
21st January 2017, 12:21 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichijoe

You probably could... But, that in-and-of itself isn't the problem. It's the way Google have started implementing System Updated on Nougat going forward. They call that System the a/b System.

I read it is the same in pixel devices. So I hope it is just an update for SuperSU to recognize this on the new shield.
21st January 2017, 04:47 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:

fastboot boot twrp...img

pretty much what the guy above said, it will detect a modification in the recovery partition and fix it, then boot into android.
21st January 2017, 05:00 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
so are we SOL indefinitely or will there ever come a time where we can override the two partitions so root sticks? ie is it possible.
21st January 2017, 05:46 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUYI

so are we SOL indefinitely or will there ever come a time where we can override the two partitions so root sticks? ie is it possible.

I dont think we are SOL. i think the developer of twrp for shield just needs to update it. im not a developer. so i dont know, but here is some good news, i was talking to nvidia and they will be releasing a prerooted image for the 2017 shield.

Quote:

Hello Brandon,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

This is Kenny, assisting you in regards to your query about the ISO Image download availability for the SHIELD TV Console V2.

Please be informed that the image isn't available for this unit yet. This is our download centre : https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload where it will be available once the Image is available for this unit.
So you may check this website often to see the availability.

Disclaimer : Rooting the device will void the software warranty of the unit.

Quote:

Unfortunately we don't have any ETA on this Brandon,

As it's a new device it may be added there in sometime. However I can't give you a precise date about this. Sorry.
You can register there as a developer and wait for the Image release.

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

21st January 2017, 06:10 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonb21

I dont think we are SOL. i think the developer of twrp for shield just needs to update it. im not a developer. so i dont know, but here is some good news, i was talking to nvidia and they will be releasing a prerooted image for the 2017 shield.

0_0 whaaa! cool i can't wait for that that's awesome news! so cool that nvdia have given us support like this.

i will install when it's available but it seems it's going to be a long wait till it's available, maybe late spring summer my guess, hopefully sooner.

and it's obvious that it will void warranty..
21st January 2017, 07:39 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonb21

pretty much what the guy above said, it will detect a modification in the recovery partition and fix it, then boot into android.

But if you just fastboot the twrp.img you wouldn't touch the recovery partition.

You would change the boot.img and /data for systemless root while flashing SuperSU. So at the next boot the system has to check if you changed the boot img/partition, and I guess the supersu installer has to take care of this verification.

There would be not much of a problem to not have twrp directly on the device, as you can always boot the img through fastboot.

Does booting the twrp img via fastboot works on the 2017 shield?
21st January 2017, 07:54 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:

But if you just fastboot the twrp.img you wouldn't touch the recovery partition.

You would change the boot.img and /data for systemless root while flashing SuperSU. So at the next boot the system has to check if you changed the boot img/partition, and I guess the supersu installer has to take care of this verification.

There would be not much of a problem to not have twrp directly on the device, as you can always boot the img through fastboot.

Does booting the twrp img via fastboot works on the 2017 shield?

i did "fastboot boot twrp.img" and it booted into the android OS
The Following User Says Thank You to brandonb21 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift brandonb21 Ad-Free
21st January 2017, 10:28 PM |#11  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 5,722

Donate to Me
More
From what I gathered from recovery logs and tearing apart the boot.img I do not think the Shield 2017 uses two system partitions like the Pixel. I have only seen one partition.
I was able to modify the boot.img to make it not secure, flashed it and it booted fine. It was not replaced with stock boot. I then tried to flash TWRP with the not secure boot.img but TWRP would not boot.
I believe TWRP needs new zImage from Shield 2017 and a few variables need to be tweaked too for it to work on the Shield 2017.
I am going to download the OmniROM source files and try to compile TWRP for the Shield 2017. Should be a quick fix for the current Shield TWRP device maintainer to make so I am a little hesitant to take the time to set everything up. With my luck the current maintainer will build TWRP for Shield 2017.

*Edit*
I attached the modified boot.img which is insecure for whoever wants to play with it.
Make sure you have ADB enabled and your PC has been authorized to use ADB with your Shield2017...
The Following User Says Thank You to AndroidUser00110001 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AndroidUser00110001 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)