Block Shield TV OTA

Search This thread

DummyPLUG

Dec 18, 2007
Hong Kong
Block this site in your router:

nvcare.nvidia.com

not suggest block the ip as it also use for other things, and it will take a longer time to check the update, just wait for it to finish.

This also block the force update when system setup.

p.s. dunno if anyone post this before, tested on shield tv 2017 firmware 5.1

DummyPLUG

Dec 18, 2007
Hong Kong
you need this when you want to stay on older version after full reset, I don't know if there a method to skip the force update when setup the shield.

someone may want to stay on 5.1 as the 5.2 had some problem to change refresh rate in KODI

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017
I have blocked both "nvcare.nvidia.com" and "ota-downloads.nvidia.com" in my router, but would also like to get rid of the update notification that pops up on the Shield TV. What is the best way to do this? I am not rooted, have an original 2015 Shield as well as a Shield Pro, both running Nougat. I was looking at using adb and using the following commands: "adb shell" then "pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.nvidia.ota". Does anyone know if this would theoretically work? Is "com.nvidia.ota" the name of the app that handles the update process? If anyone has a better idea on how to disable the update app I would appreciate the info. I have no desire to go to Oreo after hearing some of the issues people are having.

leezaal

Jun 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Download the dev_root shield tv recovery os image, you can easily find it with a google search.
hook up your shield to PC via a usb to micro usb or if its the 2017 model u need a usb-a to usb-a cable.
download minimal adb & fastboot drivers ...google search them.
Turn on usb debugging in shield tv options and with shield running at its home screen Open CMD as admin and flash the older 6.3 (android 7) OS.
Type these commands one by one pressing enter after each one.

adb devices ________________________ (it should pop up a box asking for permission grant it)
adb reboot bootloader ________________(wait for it to boot into bootloader mode)
fastboot flash staging blob
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot reboot

DO NOT unplug usb cable leave ADB in CMD still running.
When it reboots and is at the controller/remote pairing screen...Enter this it stops the auto upgrade back to 8 Oreo

adb root
adb remount
adb shell
rm -rf /system/priv-app/TegraOTA
rm -rf /system/app/TegraOTA
rm -rf /system/app/TegraOTA.apk
sync
reboot

Last edited:

BigMatza

Mar 24, 2008
OnePlus 6T
I heard the latest OTA updates don't unroot you. True story? Also, are you at risk of being bricked by an OTA if you patched your boot (presumably for Magisk)?

Top Liked Posts