Build kernel from source and boot to Ubuntu using L4T (Linux for Tegra) rootfs

392 posts
Thanks Meter: 87

By yahoo2016, Senior Member on 19th December 2015, 09:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd February 2017, 05:42 PM |#471  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Has anyone else came across the issue where after running 'fastboot flash recovery mmcblk1p1.img', upon entering fastboot and selecting 'Boot recovery kernel' the nvidia logo will appear for a short period follow by a sick andriod with a warning logo in it's chest with 'No command' appearing above it? If 'fastboot boot mmcblk1p1.img' is ran, this boots no problems.

Also @deerish, are you running l4t off a usb or the internal mmc in your sheild 2017?

Thanks

22nd February 2017, 06:57 PM |#472  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascustoms

Has anyone else came across the issue where after running 'fastboot flash recovery mmcblk1p1.img', upon entering fastboot and selecting 'Boot recovery kernel' the nvidia logo will appear for a short period follow by a sick andriod with a warning logo in it's chest with 'No command' appearing above it? If 'fastboot boot mmcblk1p1.img' is ran, this boots no problems.

Also @deerish, are you running l4t off a usb or the internal mmc in your sheild 2017?

Thanks

I have run it off of both. My init looks first for a USB drive, but will mount "mmcblk0p33" if a USB drive is not found.
23rd February 2017, 12:15 PM |#473  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerish

Yes.

@deerish Great to know this! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerish

I didn't flash the dtb. "data" is on mmcblk0p33, if you want to provide an image for that.

edit: Yes, the dtb provided with L4T still works.

@yahoo2016 It's great if you would spend some time preparing an image for Shield TV 2017.
23rd February 2017, 05:54 PM |#474  

More
Module version mismatch?
Hi,

many thanks for the kernel images!

However, using Tegra210_Linux_R24.2.1_aarch64.tbz2 and 24.2.1 sample rootfs, the kernel version magic doesn't match the kernel modules it seems. The rootfs modules version magic has a "-tegra" suffix that the kernel does'nt it seems.

It is booting anyway from USB, but won't boot properly from mmclk0p29 if written there, getting stuck in framebuffer terminal after failing to run the graphical desktop.

On both accasions, there are no modules loaded from the beginning, but for the USB variant, graphics and eth0 is up.

So for what are the modules needed? How to get them right?
26th February 2017, 06:37 PM |#475  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
ok so im trying to install this to boot from my 16 micro sd card, but my card reader is not working but i can access my card over network using the shield network storage option. so following the tut im up to:

3. Copy L4T rootfs to SD card or USB drive
Prepare your SD card or USB drive such that it has at least one primary partition, using fdisk or gparted.
Assuming the first partition of the SD card or USB drive shows as "/dev/sdb1" on your ubuntu laptop and your are still in <L4T_install_folder>/Linux_for_Tegra folder:
Code:

sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb1
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
sudo cp -a rootfs/* /mnt && sync

im wondering if there is a way to change the path from dev/memblock0 (or whatever it is) to the network path for the memcard instead, is this possible?? sorry if i didnt explain my point very well
6th April 2017, 04:16 AM |#476  

More
2017 Pro not working microSD or ext USB
@deerish I picked up one of the 2017 pro units, Yahoo2016's images don't work on either the microSD or the external USB (with the same SD). Confirmed the rootfs is correct by loading it on a microSD in my 2015 16gb unit. Compiled my own images, same problem.

Effectively, no matter what I do on the 2017 Pro, it's looking for the rootfs and doesn't find it (I can replicate the behaviour by using the mmcblk1p1 image on my 2015 16GB and not plugging in the microSD). It loads up like it's loading linux fine, then 9 seconds in it panics.

Anyone also deal with this? What are our options? Load the rootfs directly on the SSHD from another linux box?
6th May 2017, 08:53 PM |#477  

More
ok i thought i figured it out but it only booted that first time, i reinstalled to try to get wifi working but it didnt work, it looks like its going to load but then it says it will reboot in 30 seconds and turns off. i have tried to follow the instructions but i dont know where im going wrong. can someone look at this and see what the problem is please. https://pastebin.com/ZTa6C0QE

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

This is whats happening to me https://youtu.be/vNz_QvDx30Q
7th May 2017, 01:45 PM |#478  
OP Senior Member

More
I did not receive email notification and missed this thread for a while. I do not have SATV 2017 and am wondering what changes of SATV 2017 have made to make older L4T kernel not working. If I know the difference, I could make a new kernel for SATV 2017.
7th May 2017, 02:02 PM |#479  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo2016

I did not receive email notification and missed this thread for a while. I do not have SATV 2017 and am wondering what changes of SATV 2017 have made to make older L4T kernel not working. If I know the difference, I could make a new kernel for SATV 2017.

For one, it's using a different DTB, but there shouldn't be any difference between the SATV Pro 2017 and 2015. Similar to Slayerkodi's problem above, you can see in the video that it's looking for the rootfs and not finding it, so my guess is that something's amiss with the init files so the boot images no longer work. May be as simple as recognising the SD or external USB as a different drive.
7th May 2017, 02:33 PM |#480  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdul.malek

For one, it's using a different DTB, but there shouldn't be any difference between the SATV Pro 2017 and 2015. Similar to Slayerkodi's problem above, you can see in the video that it's looking for the rootfs and not finding it, so my guess is that something's amiss with the init files so the boot images no longer work. May be as simple as recognising the SD or external USB as a different drive.

That's what I thought. As I recall SATA 2017 16GB removed micro SD slot and the DTB could be different.

For Ubuntu to work for SATV 2015, the DTB must be from L4T, which DTB do you use for SATA 2017? What happens if you use DTB from L4T?
7th May 2017, 04:44 PM |#481  

More
sorry i should have mentioned, i have satv 16gb 2015 on version 5.0 rooted and bootloader unlocked. i have followed many instructions and most of them seem to succeed in the file making but i always get same message after 9 or 10 seconds. and im using 16 usb stick to boot. It did boot for me once and i saw wifi wasnt working so i decided to start again to get wifi working - since then i have not booted once.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)