FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

Build kernel from source and boot to Ubuntu using L4T (Linux for Tegra) rootfs

392 posts
Thanks Meter: 88
 
By yahoo2016, Senior Member on 19th December 2015, 08:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th February 2018, 03:06 PM |#631  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chtulu

Does not matter, I found out that, as for pinctrl-tegra.h, rcv_sel_bit and e_io_hv_bit set the same bit.

No, they can not be changed in the device-tree, I was hoping that you knew about the UCM1 and UCM2 tables for GPU.

Haven't looked into it, sorry. I think you're probably already poking around in these, but if not, look at "speedo-tegra210.c" and "tegra210-dvfs.c" to get started.
 
 
16th February 2018, 05:47 PM |#632  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerish

Haven't looked into it, sorry. I think you're probably already poking around in these, but if not, look at "speedo-tegra210.c" and "tegra210-dvfs.c" to get started.

Hi, I found in dmesg this line:

pci 0000:00:01.0: bridge configuration invalid ([bus 00-00]), reconfiguring

some errors in device tree's pcie-controller section perhaps?

and also: xhci-tegra 70090000.xusb: can't get usb3-1 phy (-517)
5th April 2018, 02:38 AM |#633  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I understand this thread is old and must be pretty much obsolete, but how do you boot from 33rd or 34th partition?
I was able to add partitions with gdisk and hex edit, then cp rootfs just like on the sd card, but the booting crashes.
Are there any extra steps need to be done? Could anyone guide me on this?
8th April 2018, 01:24 PM |#634  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan6

I understand this thread is old and must be pretty much obsolete, but how do you boot from 33rd or 34th partition?
I was able to add partitions with gdisk and hex edit, then cp rootfs just like on the sd card, but the booting crashes.
Are there any extra steps need to be done? Could anyone guide me on this?

Hello there,

Actually I would like to know all the steps to have l4t running on my 2017 shield tv too, if anyone have all the steps that needs to be done, I'm a little confused with all the things provided there to actually making a bootable l4t distro, I saw some are on 24.1, and some can boot on 28.1 kernel, but I'm not able to making it bootable.

Thanks a lot for reading/answering
8th April 2018, 10:11 PM |#635  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diliz

Hello there,

Actually I would like to know all the steps to have l4t running on my 2017 shield tv too, if anyone have all the steps that needs to be done, I'm a little confused with all the things provided there to actually making a bootable l4t distro, I saw some are on 24.1, and some can boot on 28.1 kernel, but I'm not able to making it bootable.

Thanks a lot for reading/answering

I made it bootable on L4T 24.2.1 with micro sd card on Pro (500GB) version, but not 2017 version.

I read pretty much every reply on this thread, several other threads and other websites trying to figure out how to do this. I made a md doc in my github (github.com/na6an/ShieldTV) pulling all relevant info in one place. You can also check this doc out (gravity.phy.umassd.edu/ShieldDIY.pdf) - which is basically the same procedure as this post, but more step by step style. (sorry, cannot post links yet)

TRY NOT TO FLASH NEW DTB IF YOU DECIDED TO STICK ON 2017 MODEL.

Like I briefly mentioned in my github, I actually tried on two 2017 versions before tried on Pro version but hard bricked twice by flashing wrong dtb (tried several dtb's because method posted here didn't seem to work on my 2017), had to returned them both.

I failed booting from usb by following this post with "sda1.img"
One thing I noticed that mine works on "mmcblk0p1.img" with external micro sd card, not "mmcblk1p1.img" although this post says it's for internal eMMC. So, my guess is the port name could be different. 2017 version doesn't have micro sd card slot, so you might want to try with sd card reader usb.
13th April 2018, 11:18 AM |#636  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerish

Haven't looked into it, sorry. I think you're probably already poking around in these, but if not, look at "speedo-tegra210.c" and "tegra210-dvfs.c" to get started.

Hi, Do you have the device tree for L4T 28.2?
1st May 2018, 09:53 AM |#637  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan6

I made it bootable on L4T 24.2.1 with micro sd card on Pro (500GB) version, but not 2017 version.

I read pretty much every reply on this thread, several other threads and other websites trying to figure out how to do this. I made a md doc in my github (github.com/na6an/ShieldTV) pulling all relevant info in one place. You can also check this doc out (gravity.phy.umassd.edu/ShieldDIY.pdf) - which is basically the same procedure as this post, but more step by step style. (sorry, cannot post links yet)

TRY NOT TO FLASH NEW DTB IF YOU DECIDED TO STICK ON 2017 MODEL.

Like I briefly mentioned in my github, I actually tried on two 2017 versions before tried on Pro version but hard bricked twice by flashing wrong dtb (tried several dtb's because method posted here didn't seem to work on my 2017), had to returned them both.

I failed booting from usb by following this post with "sda1.img"
One thing I noticed that mine works on "mmcblk0p1.img" with external micro sd card, not "mmcblk1p1.img" although this post says it's for internal eMMC. So, my guess is the port name could be different. 2017 version doesn't have micro sd card slot, so you might want to try with sd card reader usb.

Hi,
¿Did you get any succes on booting 2017 model ?, I tried all that i found but, i can boot but when need to read the rootfs it say that "JBD2: Unrecognised features on Journal" and " EXT-4fs (sda1):error loading journal."
If anyone with more knowledge want to work on this or know more info , i will support with all my help.
1st May 2018, 12:00 PM |#638  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan6

Hi,
¿I made it bootable on L4T 24.2.1 with micro sd card on Pro (500GB) version, but not 2017 version.

I read pretty much every reply on this thread, several other threads and other websites trying to figure out how to do this. I made a md doc in my github (github.com/na6an/ShieldTV) pulling all relevant info in one place. You can also check this doc out (gravity.phy.umassd.edu/ShieldDIY.pdf) - which is basically the same procedure as this post, but more step by step style. (sorry, cannot post links yet)

TRY NOT TO FLASH NEW DTB IF YOU DECIDED TO STICK ON 2017 MODEL.

Like I briefly mentioned in my github, I actually tried on two 2017 versions before tried on Pro version but hard bricked twice by flashing wrong dtb (tried several dtb's because method posted here didn't seem to work on my 2017), had to returned them both.

I failed booting from usb by following this post with "sda1.img"
One thing I noticed that mine works on "mmcblk0p1.img" with external micro sd card, not "mmcblk1p1.img" although this post says it's for internal eMMC. So, my guess is the port name could be different. 2017 version doesn't have micro sd card slot, so you might want to try with sd card reader usb.

Thanks for answering me, this is cool to have some advice, maybe i'll try testing with an external usb and check if the port name is different

Actually I would love to put l4t on my 2017 shield, hope It will work or someone will one day put some work on this xD
2nd May 2018, 06:08 AM |#639  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by efecto369

Hi,
¿Did you get any succes on booting 2017 model ?, I tried all that i found but, i can boot but when need to read the rootfs it say that "JBD2: Unrecognised features on Journal" and " EXT-4fs (sda1):error loading journal."
If anyone with more knowledge want to work on this or know more info , i will support with all my help.

"when need to read the rootfs" - do you mean during the boot?
Like I mentioned, I was NOT able to boot in 2017 version. After I bricked 2 and returned, I didn't really want to give another try. So far, booting from SD card on Pro version was the only way worked for me.

I didn't run into any error message like yours (just dead screen) but base on what it says, few things I can think of.
1. Your booting usb is not formatted in ext4 properly. (or if you didn't use the first partition of usb - it has to be primary partition)
2. Try other ports (2 usb ports and 1 micro-usb) if not tried yet. One of usb ports need to be "USB Debugging enabled" may or may not be the port you want to use for L4T flashing. I forgot which one it was on 2017 model.
3. Perhaps your usb is not compatible. Even if it was from the same brand or same 2.0 / 3.0 type usb, compatibility could vary. Try a couple of different usb's if you have spare.
I know it's hard to capture the booting screen, but googling exact error message might be helpful identifying the problem.

Or, maybe this booting from "sda1.img" is not universal because sda1.img didn't work on me either.
I wonder how yahoo2016 created these boot img files. So I could try other ports maybe like sdb1 or sdc1.

---------- Post added at 05:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diliz

Thanks for answering me, this is cool to have some advice, maybe i'll try testing with an external usb and check if the port name is different

Actually I would love to put l4t on my 2017 shield, hope It will work or someone will one day put some work on this xD

Yeah, I wished I could be able to boot on 2017, too. Either original (2015 16GB) or Pro version is considerably bigger size compared to 2017. But, then, I like Pro more now because of sd card slot and more spacious between usb ports + more flexibility (like replacing with speedier ssd, easy fix from bricks, etc) With sd card slot, you can keep it plugged in without anything sticking out. You won't have enough space to install anything on L4T after flashing with 16GB, too.

Anyways, good luck with your 2017 shield flashing. Hope you don't end up having to return like I did.
2nd May 2018, 09:47 AM |#640  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan6

"when need to read the rootfs" - do you mean during the boot?
Like I mentioned, I was NOT able to boot in 2017 version. After I bricked 2 and returned, I didn't really want to give another try. So far, booting from SD card on Pro version was the only way worked for me.

I didn't run into any error message like yours (just dead screen) but base on what it says, few things I can think of.
1. Your booting usb is not formatted in ext4 properly. (or if you didn't use the first partition of usb - it has to be primary partition)
2. Try other ports (2 usb ports and 1 micro-usb) if not tried yet. One of usb ports need to be "USB Debugging enabled" may or may not be the port you want to use for L4T flashing. I forgot which one it was on 2017 model.
3. Perhaps your usb is not compatible. Even if it was from the same brand or same 2.0 / 3.0 type usb, compatibility could vary. Try a couple of different usb's if you have spare.
I know it's hard to capture the booting screen, but googling exact error message might be helpful identifying the problem.

Or, maybe this booting from "sda1.img" is not universal because sda1.img didn't work on me either.
I wonder how yahoo2016 created these boot img files. So I could try other ports maybe like sdb1 or sdc1.

---------- Post added at 05:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 AM ----------



Yeah, I wished I could be able to boot on 2017, too. Either original (2015 16GB) or Pro version is considerably bigger size compared to 2017. But, then, I like Pro more now because of sd card slot and more spacious between usb ports + more flexibility (like replacing with speedier ssd, easy fix from bricks, etc) With sd card slot, you can keep it plugged in without anything sticking out. You won't have enough space to install anything on L4T after flashing with 16GB, too.

Anyways, good luck with your 2017 shield flashing. Hope you don't end up having to return like I did.

Hi,
I cheked many times before all the points that you suggest, anyway i checked again (I really want to get this working).
I can miss something but i tried many many options.
I format all usb devices from lubuntu machine with:

sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb1

And Gtparted say only one partition.

Today, when i was launching all the boot images again with a litle hard disk attached, i found one detail that i didn't realised before:

-With boot image mmcblk0p29.img there are some messages before the boot process crash whith my USB2 external hard disk attached on usb port near Hdmi conector, is recognised during boot process like "sd 0:0:0:0:[sda]" , and after there is message that say: "Assuming drive cache: write through sda: sda1", but the strange thing is that with "sda1.img" there is no message regarding to hard disk detection, only the "EXT-4 (sda1): error loading Journal" message.

-Note:This model only has two usb ports, no sd , no mini usb.
ID of my device is: tegra210-darcy-p2894-0050-a04-00.dtb.

Sorry about my english.
2nd May 2018, 05:29 PM |#641  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by efecto369

Hi,
I cheked many times before all the points that you suggest, anyway i checked again (I really want to get this working).
I can miss something but i tried many many options.
I format all usb devices from lubuntu machine with:

sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb1

And Gtparted say only one partition.

Today, when i was launching all the boot images again with a litle hard disk attached, i found one detail that i didn't realised before:

-With boot image mmcblk0p29.img there are some messages before the boot process crash whith my USB2 external hard disk attached on usb port near Hdmi conector, is recognised during boot process like "sd 0:0:0:0:[sda]" , and after there is message that say: "Assuming drive cache: write through sda: sda1", but the strange thing is that with "sda1.img" there is no message regarding to hard disk detection, only the "EXT-4 (sda1): error loading Journal" message.

-Note:This model only has two usb ports, no sd , no mini usb.
ID of my device is: tegra210-darcy-p2894-0050-a04-00.dtb.

Sorry about my english.

"USB2 external hard disk attached on usb port" - So, you're using external hdd instead of usb flash drive?
Make sure there is no bad sector in that hdd. When I searched the error message "EXT-4 (sda1): error loading Journal", many threads I found suggest corrupted disk. Corruption could be either the image file or the hardware disk itself. So, I'd suggest re-doing from scratch, downloading fresh new files, with a different drive.

* and sorry I forgot 2017 version didn't have micro-usb. Maybe I was confused with Pro version.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes