Thanks Meter: 88

By yahoo2016, Senior Member on 19th December 2015, 08:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th August 2018, 10:57 AM |#651  
Thanks Meter: 90

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogster2K

I haven't actually flashed the boot image - I use "fastboot boot mmcblk1p1.img" instead. And I'm using the stock .dtb.

Oh, I also formatted the sdcard on my PC, probably with a live system. I have noticed that the Shield and PCs seem to format cards differently - PCs usually leave a 1 MB gap before the first partition to prevent any alignment issues, while the Shield seems to format without a gap. I think the gap is required for Linux, even tho' Android will refuse to mount it.

Edit: added more info and a screenshot

Yes, that's how I also do, preparing the rootfs stick directly from Ubuntu 18.04, with a single partition(ext4) created through GParted, then uploading everything found in ./rootfs.

I'm actually trying to set this up in recovery partition, so can cycle through OS'es with adb commands, I also tried to fastboot boot either.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but is it possible for you to dump image(dd then zip) from your working rootfs ?

Thanks for all your troubles.

9th August 2018, 02:16 AM |#652  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wejgomi

Yes, that's how I also do, preparing the rootfs stick directly from Ubuntu 18.04, with a single partition(ext4) created through GParted, then uploading everything found in ./rootfs.

I'm actually trying to set this up in recovery partition, so can cycle through OS'es with adb commands, I also tried to fastboot boot either.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but is it possible for you to dump image(dd then zip) from your working rootfs ?

Thanks for all your troubles.

It's a huge image. I don't think my connection could take it. If you really need it, I could set up a new image from scratch, but I think it'll be a day or two before it's ready.
9th August 2018, 06:05 PM |#653  

More
Quote:

It's a huge image. I don't think my connection could take it. If you really need it, I could set up a new image from scratch, but I think it'll be a day or two before it's ready.

Would be great, I'm really banging my head on this, 3 different microSD and 4 USB flash, GPT/MBR partition table, all single partition, always ends up with the same kernel panic. I'm attaching an SS of output, perhaps someone could comment.

I've also seen a mention on forum creating an ESP partition right before the ext4 side, but I wouldn't think that to be the culprit as almost everyone has success with one single partition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180809_142801.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	4568115  
9th August 2018, 10:31 PM |#654  

More
Hmm, it might take more time than I thought. I just tried making an image from 24.2.3 and it also crashed. I'm not sure which version I used to make my working image. Have you already tried using 24.2.2 or 24.2.1?

Also, the kernels in this thread are outdated - probably from 24.0.x or 24.1.x. Unfortunately I don't know how to modify a newer kernel to change the boot device.
10th August 2018, 12:54 AM |#655  

More
Quote:

Hmm, it might take more time than I thought. I just tried making an image from 24.2.3 and it also crashed. I'm not sure which version I used to make my working image. Have you already tried using 24.2.2 or 24.2.1?

Also, the kernels in this thread are outdated - probably from 24.0.x or 24.1.x. Unfortunately I don't know how to modify a newer kernel to change the boot device.

I've given 24.2.1 and 24.1(boot.img&rootfs attached in forum) a try to no avail. There's also this("Ubuntu 16.04 on Shield TV"), mix&match kernel-rootfs build I believe, which again is not working.

Could you share the boot.img working for you ? Perhaps the kernel is the cause as you mention.
11th August 2018, 05:15 AM |#656  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wejgomi

I've given 24.2.1 and 24.1(boot.img&rootfs attached in forum) a try to no avail. There's also this("Ubuntu 16.04 on Shield TV"), mix&match kernel-rootfs build I believe, which again is not working.

Could you share the boot.img working for you ? Perhaps the kernel is the cause as you mention.

The kernel I use is mmcblk1p1.img from the first link in the initial post.

Something else to try: when you unpack the archives and copy the rootfs, be sure you use root or sudo. Most of the files need to be owned by root.
11th August 2018, 08:34 AM |#657  

More
Quote:

The kernel I use is mmcblk1p1.img from the first link in the initial post.

Something else to try: when you unpack the archives and copy the rootfs, be sure you use root or sudo. Most of the files need to be owned by root.

Yes, I'm a network administrator, so pretty much every other day spent on Unix, rendering this practically a mission to me(lol). Could you try and see which sample rootfs you're currently using, did you use a QEMU container, I believe the first post is built for 24.2, could you see whether 24.2/24.2.1 is booting if possible ?

Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)