Full DVB-C/T/T2/S PVR running tvheadend and stock based kernel (incl NTFS support)!

Search This thread

bradleyw801

Jul 20, 2010
Salt Lake City
I know it's dumb to answer your own questions but since no-one else did - and others might have the same question - I'll do it anyway...

The short answer is yes, you can do everything you could previously.
The long answer is, you're only modifying the kernel not the whole ROM, so none of the apps work any differently :)

Not dumb at all. It's a huge pet peeve of mine. People come here looking for a solution, then when they find one, they never come back and share. Your first question could be the keywords that pop up when someone has a similar issue. Posting the answer allows them get an answer.

umoraes2009

Jan 30, 2016
Hi guys... can someone update the kernel to 6.2 ? It seems the actual kernel faces a lot of freezes on 6.2 ? BTW - I will try to downgrade to 6.1 to continue watching TV. thanks!

raeinu

Mar 12, 2018
q

So i am complete noob non-us user. Bought latest shield week ago and want to buy dvb-2 tuner and watch live tv. Which files excatly to download and which tuner to buy?

slyver2008

Jun 26, 2009
nopnop9090 please update with latest kernel for 6.3 experience on your site
the last update was back in 2016
please
thanks

xd4d3v

Jun 18, 2009
Hi all,

Project not dead, currently downloading Shield Experience 7.0.1 source from Nvidia repo.

Lexyan. i went ahead on tried twrp, and i get errors when scripts try to mount /vendor.
you might want to add to your kernel whatever changes zulu99 made that allows the use of twrp
from here
http://www.videomap.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1646&start=1770#p7472

otherwise it'd be either root, or tv tuner..
not sure whether zulu99 uses github or similar.

lexyan77

Jan 23, 2010
Paris
Shield Experience 7.0.1 - Kernel 3.10 dvb

Hi,

New kernel for Shield Experience 7.0.1, only devices supported by kernel 3.10
All modules built in the kernel, only need firmware files in "/data/firmware" or in system partition if needed.

If you put firmwares files in /data/firmware you must issue "restorecon /data/firmware" and "restorecon /data/firmware/*" with adb to correct files permission.

Built only for Shield (2015) 16G :

With Magisk preinstalled : https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7t63hpye5pkezo/shield-atv-7.0.1-dvb-magisk2.img?dl=0

Without Magisk : https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvkim914fqfgvsl/shield-atv-7.0.1-dvb2.img?dl=0

I have only tested the build R820T/R820T2 dongle and Dibcom 7000 (Gigabyte U8000).

I can include firmware files in kernel as needed, send me the name of the firmware file by Private Message, I can recompile the kernel with all files included this sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: wejgomi

umoraes2009

Jan 30, 2016
Hi lexyan77 … thanks for the update... just tried but it doesn't work with my Mygica T230... can you please include the driver for the T230 ?
thanks a lot and congralutations for the France worldcup winning ! :)

robtheone

Jul 30, 2018
Available for Shield 2017?

Hi,

New kernel for Shield Experience 7.0.1, only devices supported by kernel 3.10
All modules built in the kernel, only need firmware files in "/data/firmware" or in system partition if needed.

If you put firmwares files in /data/firmware you must issue "restorecon /data/firmware" and "restorecon /data/firmware/*" with adb to correct files permission.

Built only for Shield (2015) 16G :

I have only tested the build R820T/R820T2 dongle and Dibcom 7000 (Gigabyte U8000).

I can include firmware files in kernel as needed, send me the name of the firmware file by Private Message, I can recompile the kernel with all files included this sunday.

Will this be available for Shield 2017 16GB?

lexyan77

Jan 23, 2010
Paris
Will this be available for Shield 2017 16GB?

Hi,

I have compiled it for the shield 2017, If you want to try it you can download the kernel on my dropbox here

I have not tested it so it's at your own responsibility

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

[/COLOR]
Hi... anyone could help me to integrate Mygica T230 driver/firmware on this kernel version ? thanks!!!

Hi,

Kernel with T230 (not T230C version) support available for testing on my dropbox here (for Shield 2015)

you probably need 2 firmware files "dvb-demod-si2148-b40-01.fw" and "dvb-tuner-si2158-a20-01.fw" to be placed in "/data/firmware" with correct permissions (see my other posts)

I have not tested it with MyGica t230 tuner so it's at your own responsibility

Last edited:

umoraes2009

Jan 30, 2016
Hi,

I have compiled it for the shield 2017, If you want to try it you can download the kernel on my dropbox here

I have not tested it so it's at your own responsibility

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Hi,

Kernel with T230 (not T230C version) support available for testing on my dropbox here (for Shield 2015)

you probably need 2 firmware files "dvb-demod-si2148-b40-01.fw" and "dvb-tuner-si2158-a20-01.fw" to be placed in "/data/firmware" with correct permissions (see my other posts)

I have not tested it with MyGica t230 tuner so it's at your own responsibility

thanks Lexyan... Is there anyway to include this on my shield without rooting the device ? I think access to /data/firmware will need root...

umoraes2009

Jan 30, 2016

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About the Shield TV PVR Project
    I wanted to use my NVidia Shield TV not just for gaming and Netflix, but did not like the idea to loose the (in my view) really cool wifi remote and gamepad by switching to 'that other full android' image that is currently available on xda. So i decided to jump on the road and add those few additional features I was missing to the stock system by myself..

After some (many) hours of work to get the nvidia supplied source packages trimmed down and fixing bugs in the kernel, I can finally say its running pretty good now!

Here is what is working right now:
    - A full kernel compile can be done in just about 3-8 minutes contrary to more than one and a half hours when using the unmodified nvidia package

- The stripped down development package I built is only taking about 1.5 GB of harddrive space, there is no need to download all of these 20+ GB of mixed stuff from the slow nvidia servers anymore, no need to wait for the repo tool to unpack and etc - its just fetch and compile a bootimage right away.

- I have added full NTFS (r+w) support to the kernel, so you can just plug-in any ntfs formatted harddrive or usb stick and use it like the fat32 formatted drives that were already supported.

- I have added DVBAPI support back into the kernel so you can plug-in a supported DVB-C/DVB-S/DVB-S2/DVB-T/DVB-T2 tuner stick and use it to watch, record and stream live TV from your shield - full PVR powers baby! :) (I had to patch the base kernel to allow that as there was some 32/64 bit ioctl compatibility issue that I think was one of the reasons why nvidia did not include dvbapi - it took a long time googling around to get this working..)

- I have built the latest tvheadend server version from source aswell, on my shield it gets started using a bootscript and its really easy to install using adb

This is my current setup:
    I have connected 3 DVBSky DVB-C/T/T2 USB tuner sticks to a powered USB 3.0 hub and plugged that into the shield. Since there were no drivers for my usb stick brand available, I have patched the dvbsky branch of the kernel tree with a backported version of these drivers. (For those of you that have different brand sticks, there are 2 other branches available, one with all the stock kernel-supplied dvb drivers, one with all the drivers from media_tree). It is now easily possible to

watch live TV (using Kodi with tvheadend htsp plugin) with full EPG etc

stream live TV to the kids room (my kids are using kodi installed on a fire tv stick that is connected to an old 19" lcd screen)

stream transcoded (bandwidth saving) live tv to my tablet and smartphone over the internet

record tv shows on demand, timers can be programmed using a smartphone (tvheadend helper app) aswell as through the kodi interface

All these features are in heavy use by my family right now and without any real impact on the overall speed of the shield console - read: completely transparent in the background! (I have attached a 500 GB USB 3.0 hard drive (ntfs formatted) to the shield for storage of the recorded tv shows - obiously.)

Get yourself a Shield PVR
    Just grab a linux-supported tuner stick and a harddrive, flash one of the precompiled kernels and install tvheadend from my androidfilehost area - it surely is not for the fainthearted as there are currently no step-by-step instructions, but I think everyone with a little knowledge on how to use adb and fastboot can do it.

Of course I will try to help out if you run into problems, you can post your questions/suggestions/bug reports into the issue tracker or to my thread at xda.

Contribute
    If you want to say thanks and help continuing my work you can hit that donate button on my androidfilehost area, it is not in any way required tho. If you want to contribute code/patches/ideas - just do so using the usual channels (issue tracker, xda thread).

How do I get set up for development?
    Check the official repo wiki page, I have added some scripting code examples and etc to the wiki there.

Check my twitter account aswell for latest updates and a preview video showing my actual shield in action!

Code:
    Androidfilehost (prebuilt images): https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=48701
    Github repo: https://bitbucket.org/nopnop9090/shieldtv-kernel
    Wiki: https://bitbucket.org/nopnop9090/shieldtv-kernel/wiki
    Hi all,

Sources for Shield Experience 5.1 are on my bitbucket repo aprox 1GB to download instead of 15GB for official source.

Precompiled kernel for 16gb shield[2015] on my dropbox here

For 2017 shield and pro version, you can compile your kernel from my source.

New link here
    The developer is probably busy.
    If there are any other devs out there that can contribute.. don't be shy

Hi All,

I have compiled the kernel for SATV-3.0 with static drivers and ntfs-rw support. My cheap RTL2832U usb tuner works great.
    To autostart tvheadend provided by nopnop9090, i need to install SuperSu 2.65 through TWRP and put boot script in /su/su.d.
    You can find it in my dropbox. https: // www . dropbox . com / s / zosrn6j759bal01 / SATV.3.0.dvb.static.tar.bz2 ? dl=0

Some adapter needs firmware files to work.

Any reviews are appreciated.
    Kernel with DVBSky module and NTFS support for 16GB Shield would be great :)

Kernel for 16G version recompiled with builtin loadable modules and media_build modules.
    I have modified kernel to search firmware files in /data/firmware to avoid modifying /system.

You need to load kernel modules in the right order (tuner module before dvb-usb* modules)

https: // www. dropbox. com/s/1xbw11x4obfhf6j/kernel-modules-media_build.tar.gz?dl=0
    So Firmware 3.0 is out now.
    Can you provide new modified Kernels for the new firmware?
    sorry for being away lately and thanks to slamride, crnkoj and all the others that help out each other... as for the marshmallow update, i am waiting for nvidia to release the 3.0 sources, the updated package will be available shortly after.

tvheadend status: as there are issues getting hdhomerun network tuners working I am trying to patch the needed code into it - its progressing slowly because I have to wait for some testers to check out each build etc, but that way it may be even possible to get full hw accelerated transcoding to work (more on that later)

general status: there are some issues with the shield usb 3.0 controller and my usb tuners if there is more than 1 tuner connected to the shield at once. I am now trying to build a "immediate filter driver" that sits between the dvbsky t330 driver and the usb subsystem to filter out some garbage data - as with the tvheadend part, there is already some progress but there are definately not enough hours in a single day ..