Remove All Ads from XDA

Ubuntu Utopic for nvidia shield tv

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 28

By jagger11, Junior Member on 5th July 2015, 03:17 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

It's available here (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links):

goo.gl / sl6rMu (you only need nvidia-shield-tv-utopic.arm64.img.2G.gz and nvidia_boot.img, the remaining files are used for development)

Packets: typical: sshd plus LXDE

How to:
1. root/unlock your nvidia shield tv
2. unpack the disk image: nvidia-shield-tv-utopic.arm64.img.2G.gz (zcat nvidia-shield-tv-utopic.arm64.img.2G.gz >nvidia-shield-tv-utopic.arm64.img.2G)
3. save it to a microsd card (min ~2.5GB): dd if=nvidia-shield-tv-utopic.arm64.img.2G of=/dev/sdh bs=4194304 oflag=sync
4. Put your minisd card into nvidia shield tv
5 Boot into linux
a). (in bootloader) fastboot boot nvidia_boot.img
or
b). save it permanently as a recovery image (fastboot flash recovery nvidia_boot.img) and boot into it (3 sec tap during shield tv boot, then choose 'boot recovery kernel')

user: android pass: changeme
user: root pass: changeme

What works:
- eth card
- usb hub
- wifi (probably, firmware is there and the card is able to scan networks)
- virtual terminal / framebuffer (you should be able to log in with an usb keyboard)

What doesn't work:
- bluetooth (probably, I haven't tested it)
- sometimes xorg doesn't display anything after boot, and it's necessary to restart lxdm: stop lxdm; start lxdm
- accelerated gfx driver (nvidia hasn't released aarch64 drviers yet)

There are also scripts and the kernel config I used to build the boot image on the drive
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to jagger11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jagger11 Ad-Free

5th July 2015, 05:39 AM |#2  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,503

More
I unfortunately won't have time to try this until later next week, so I want to ask a quick question. What kernel is this? Mainline or a modified Nvidia? I tinkered with a Fedora kernel a little while back and couldn't get it to boot.

In any case, next week I need to dive back into getting multirom working here, things like this is what I need it for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel01 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th July 2015, 12:22 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel01

I unfortunately won't have time to try this until later next week, so I want to ask a quick question. What kernel is this? Mainline or a modified Nvidia? I tinkered with a Fedora kernel a little while back and couldn't get it to boot.

It's a compiled kernel from nvidia's repo

nv-tegra.nvidia.com / gitweb / ?p=linux-3.10.git;a=summary

The config is here: nvidia_shield_tv_root -> kernel_config -> 3.10.config-foster_e.txt

From what I remember the changes (to the stock config) were not extensive, things like disabling "Android paranoid sockets", enabling "Mount devtmpfs at boot", adding some features like namespaces
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jagger11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jagger11 Ad-Free
5th July 2015, 03:16 PM |#4  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagger11

Hi,

It's available here (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links):

goo.gl / sW5K3T
https drive google.com / folderview ? id=0B86hdL7CeBvAfjBfNkhqMVB1dzZSS1VxUVBJZmFqSXNFYU hpN2lHcklhVzZtX0Z5OENxdU0

Packets: typical: sshd plus LXDE

How to:
2. unpack the disk image: nvidia-shield-tv-utopic.arm64.img.2G.gz (zcat nvidia-shield-tv-utopic.arm64.img.2G.gz >nvidia-shield-tv-utopic.arm64.img.2G)
3. save it to a microsd card (min ~2.5GB): dd if=nvidia-shield-tv-utopic.arm64.img.2G of=/dev/sdh bs=4194304 oflag=sync
5 Boot into linux
a). fastboot boot nvidia_boot.img, or
b). save it permanently as a recovery image (fastboot flash recovery nvidia_boot.img) and boot into it (3 sec tap during shield tv boot, then choose 'boot recovery kernel')

user: android pass: changeme
user: root pass: changeme

What works:
- eth card
- usb hub
- wifi (probably, firmware is there and the card is able to scan networks)
- virtual terminal / framebuffer (you should be able to log in with an usb keyboard)

What doesn't work:
- bluetooth (probably, I haven't tested it)
- sometimes xorg doesn't display anything after boot, and it's necessary to restart lxdm: stop lxdm; start lxdm

There are also scripts and the kernel config I used to build the boot image on the drive

First link is missing img for step 2, second link has img but cannot be downloaded due to it not being a public file.
5th July 2015, 03:49 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbless

First link is missing img for step 2, second link has img but cannot be downloaded due to it not being a public file.

Thanks, I fixed the goo.gl link

Files should be 'downloadable' now.

BTW, you only need nvidia-shield-tv-utopic.arm64.img.2G.gz and nvidia_boot.img - the remaining files are used for development
The Following User Says Thank You to jagger11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jagger11 Ad-Free
30th July 2015, 01:35 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Request Help to boot ubuntu on NVIDIA SHIELD PRO
Hi Team,
This is vinod mopuri .Trying to install ubuntu (dual boot) on NVIDIA SHIELD PRO and followed steps as suggested but while booting NVDIA SHIELD doesn't ask from which device need to boot up.

Can any one suggest how to enable to boot from sd card instead of default path what i'm missing ?
Really appreciate your help in advance.

Steps followed :
Vinod: How to do this ? please advice is it possible to have dual boot ?
vinod: Done,on linux machine
Vinod: Done (tried with linux and fat file system) on micro sd card.
Vinod : Done.

--- VInod Mopuri
2nd August 2015, 09:15 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Nice work!

I actually managed to boot arch linux with the same nvidia_boot.img. (Go to the arch linux arm site and select: Platforms, ARMv8, Generic.)

No luck with graphics acceleration thought. Hopefully the "Smaug" platform will bring those X11 drivers with it.

Cheers!
3rd August 2015, 12:35 AM |#8  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 353

Donate to Me
More
You need to use fastboot to boot the image that was in the first post. That contains the the boot information. You can flash that's stated, or just boot it via fastboot to not change anything on the system.

Edit: sorry, thought I hit quote. Response to the guy unable to boot.
4th August 2015, 07:23 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I just tried it, but without luck.
I was able to flash the microSDcard and booting via fastboot.
1. adb reboot bootloader
2. fastboot boot nvidia_boot.img
- it seem's it doesn't read the image from sdcard

downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.751s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.003s]
finished. total time: 0.753s

- I get the NVIDIA logo on the hdmi screen
- then it changes to a black screen
- now, nothing happens at all

BTW, I'm using the standard NVIDIA SHIELD ANDROID-TV, not the PRO model.
23rd August 2015, 12:30 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieter.reuter

I just tried it, but without luck.
I was able to flash the microSDcard and booting via fastboot.
1. adb reboot bootloader
2. fastboot boot nvidia_boot.img
- it seem's it doesn't read the image from sdcard

downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.751s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.003s]
finished. total time: 0.753s

- I get the NVIDIA logo on the hdmi screen
- then it changes to a black screen
- now, nothing happens at all

BTW, I'm using the standard NVIDIA SHIELD ANDROID-TV, not the PRO model.

I also have the non-PRO version. Some ideas
* did you unzip the image before flashing it
* is your microsd card seen correctly in android
* maybe it's actually booting, and you don't see anything on the screen, scan your network with 'nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/24' (or whatever network you're using) to check for new devices
The Following User Says Thank You to jagger11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jagger11 Ad-Free
25th August 2015, 03:38 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagger11

It's a compiled kernel from nvidia's repo

nv-tegra.nvidia.com / gitweb / ?p=linux-3.10.git;a=summary

The config is here: nvidia_shield_tv_root -> kernel_config -> 3.10.config-foster_e.txt

From what I remember the changes (to the stock config) were not extensive, things like disabling "Android paranoid sockets", enabling "Mount devtmpfs at boot", adding some features like namespaces

Looking for a little more help on building the kernel. I am having problems with the usb 3.0 getting deadlock and want to turn on more kernel info to find the problem. I cloned the git repo you mentioned and then checked out the branch rel-22r2-golden-fostermp. I used your config and your ubuntu image on the shield tv to compile the kernel and then made a boot img with your Makefile. However, the kernel will not boot. Is there another step I am missing? Everything looks like it should work but does not. I only have limited debug because my img only makes the nvidia logo flash on the screen.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)