DIRECTV NOW app for Shield TV?

Search This thread

music_man185

Apr 26, 2012
I asked this earlier, but not many people responded, so I will ask again. Is there a difference in picture quality and fps between roku and nvidia shield? I have both and the picture looks better on the roku than shield. Also, roku seems to get 60fps where shield is maybe 30fps. Motion is much smoother on my roku. Both are setup on the same network with same speeds. Is this normal?

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 AM ----------

Also, I see a lot of people talking about the Amazon app store. Yet, all I did was download the apk from one of the posts in this forum thread and installed. Am I missing something?

mardukeme

Oct 2, 2006
Newington
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
I asked this earlier, but not many people responded, so I will ask again. Is there a difference in picture quality and fps between roku and nvidia shield? I have both and the picture looks better on the roku than shield. Also, roku seems to get 60fps where shield is maybe 30fps. Motion is much smoother on my roku. Both are setup on the same network with same speeds. Is this normal?

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 AM ----------

Also, I see a lot of people talking about the Amazon app store. Yet, all I did was download the apk from one of the posts in this forum thread and installed. Am I missing something?
It seems like you are only using the regular DTV Now app. You need the app store to use the Beta app. The picture quality between the regular and beta version is night and day. With the Beta having the better quality picture.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

New Beta version is now 2.0.10 Build 04242

https://app.box.com/s/ah6goip3l280qusbpzguwq6ajzu10gh6

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA

I did notice that when watching the occasional soccer game the framerates sometimes aren't smooth. I do have a Roku device attached to one of my other tv so I'll have to set it up on my main tv and compare the quality.

But yes all you would need to install is the amazon app store sideload the directTV apps and of course be enrolled in the beta program is you intend to use the beta version. Some have complained about not being able to login to the beta version after sign up. My sign in experience has been issue free.

Sent from my Pixel 2

D

Deleted member 4698153

I think you need the Amazon App Store for the non beta now too. I couldn’t login with the latest non beta without it.

Last edited by a moderator:

IcerJo

May 24, 2010
Houston
Also if you have a 5.1 setup the Beta app broadcasts most channels I'm Dolby digital 5.1 and the quality of the audio has improved vastly over the last 3 or 4 updates.

music_man185

Apr 26, 2012
Why is the Amazon app store needed for non beta? I downloaded the apk that one of the forum members posted and installed on nvidia without the Amazon store. I've been using it this way since I first signed up for directv now about a month ago. Would going through the Amazon app store help solve the problems I mentioned above?

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA
Why is the Amazon app store needed for non beta? I downloaded the apk that one of the forum members posted and installed on nvidia without the Amazon store. I've been using it this way since I first signed up for directv now about a month ago. Would going through the Amazon app store help solve the problems I mentioned above?
Both the apps that I pulled were from the fire TV require the amazon appstore to be sideloaded as well. Downloading the Amazon versions would not resolve any framerate issues. But I would suggest that you try out the latest beta app or the non beta version and see.

Sent from my Pixel 2

Last edited:

jim_0068

Jul 12, 2009
FYI i'm using the non-beta 1.0.22.4821 build number and do not have the amazon store installed and it's working fine.

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA
That's odd. I wonder if it's because I had the beta installed at one time.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
That's a very good point, I'm wondering aswell. Because Everytime I installed the app it asked me to login into the app store. I uninstalled both apps
reinstalled them without the app store . I was still prompted to install the app store.

Sent from my Pixel 2

music_man185

Apr 26, 2012
I've been using version 1.0.22 build 4821 since I first signed up about a month ago. Never had the Amazon app store installed, never been prompted. When I sideloaded the directv app, I just logged into it like I would for any other app.

ThatMetalHead72

Jul 18, 2017
I did notice that when watching the occasional soccer game the framerates sometimes aren't smooth. I do have a Roku device attached to one of my other tv so I'll have to set it up on my main tv and compare the quality.

But yes all you would need to install is the amazon app store sideload the directTV apps and of course be enrolled in the beta program is you intend to use the beta version. Some have complained about not being able to login to the beta version after sign up. My sign in experience has been issue free.

Sent from my Pixel 2

Could someone please explain to me the process for enrolling in the beta program? I've found a non beta apk that works on Shield, but no On Demand. Not sure about functionality with the DVR when its rolled out either.

music_man185

Apr 26, 2012
According to the sign up page, beta invitations are closed. It's believed that the new app may be released in the next couple weeks

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Also, not sure why your on demand isn't working on the shield. My on demand has worked since I first installed

Reactions: IcerJo

esema1o

Dec 12, 2010
I'm using the beta works pretty good fast zero lag channel change fast to clear hd1080 no problem on my nvidia shield

esema1o

Dec 12, 2010
V4JqJ39

:cool:

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 AM ----------

2160p on my nvidia shield

Top Liked Posts