USB not detecting properly on 2nd gen shield tv.

Search This thread

mandroid717

Jun 22, 2011
Ottawa
So I have inserted the 3.0 usb mini drive and get message usb is running slow should try 3.0 or drive needs to be formatted. I format the drive and it fails then everything gets messed up at that point. es file explorer sees it but says can not open file. In the geforce forums many people are having the same issue. I plug in a usb 2.0 thumb drive and it detects and es file explorer sees it fine. Me thinks an update is needed. Any ideas?

thx

Froid

Apr 5, 2012
somewhere
Having the same problem. I've tried two different USB sticks. Both 128gb up to 400mbps read and 270mbps write. Shield claims both are too slow and fails to format either. Once it fails, the sticks are rendered useless and even after formatting, the shield will not mount either stick.. Nvidia support was not helpful at all. They're going to email me back when they find a solution.

mandroid717

Jun 22, 2011
Ottawa
USB 2.0 drive work fine. I have already tested a couple. I got a 64GB 3.0 SanDisk to work. I did not bother formatting when aked. It came formatted in Fat 32.

darkuni

Sep 12, 2010
I have used both USB 2 and 3; most USB 2.0 flash drives has given me a slow warning error, but the USB 3.0 one rocked and adopted just fine.

JoeM01

Nov 18, 2011
Same issue here. Just got my 2017, plugged in a sandisk fit 128, and it doesn't detect it. Plugged in some crappy 8gb lexar drive I had and it detects it. Tried formatting the sandisk multiple times, ntfs and exfat and still nothing.

JoeM01

Nov 18, 2011
I tried both exFat and NTFS.

Here's what i tried.
Sandisk Ultra Fit 128 USB 3.0 (both NTFS & exFat) - didn't recognize under either format
Lexar 8GB crappy old drive USB 2.0 (FAT32) - recognized
PNY 64GB (not sure of model) USB 2.0 (both NTFS & exFAT) - Didn't recognize as exFAT, but did recognize it as NTFS
Seagate 250GB 2.5" portable drive USB 2.0 (NTFS) - recognized

I've ordered the samsung bar drive (plastic) 128GB to try that now. I can't use the USB 2.0 drives, it's noticeably slower.

misho82

Jun 1, 2009
Same issue here with 2nd gen shield TV and USB 3.0 Samsung FIT 128 GB USB drive.
After formatting the drive as extended storage it is showing "Samsung drive is ejected" message.
tried formatting using Fat32, NTFS and exFat with no success, also changed the the drive policy to optimize performance then formatted, no success either.
This is becoming a frustrating issue.

Any solution please?

ScottyNuttz

Dec 14, 2008
Maine
Bump? I just gave up on my Samsung Bar 128GB (USB 3.0) drive. It seems to work in other devices without any issues. It would occasionally be detected after while in USB port 2, but the format never succeeded. I tried formatting it myself using exFAT and NTFS, and then tried deleting all partitions and still had no luck. Stuck a SanDisk 32GB drive in there and it worked right away for adopted storage.

Vaizen

I just got my Nvidia shield tv 2017 16gb and discovered that the usb port closest to the ethernet port does not recognize usb flash drives. First I tried to use a 128gb sandisk flash drive on that port and it took forever to format so I canceled the process. Then tried over the other port and it took seconds to finish.

I think the problem is related to the OP has there been any breakthrough?
In actuality the port works for connecting a dongle for a keyboard or mouse, but flash drives are a no go. Additionally, the drives connected to that port get blazing hot.

sicilianom

Jul 29, 2012
Having the same problem. I've tried two different USB sticks. Both 128gb up to 400mbps read and 270mbps write. Shield claims both are too slow and fails to format either. Once it fails, the sticks are rendered useless and even after formatting, the shield will not mount either stick.. Nvidia support was not helpful at all. They're going to email me back when they find a solution.

Any new?
I have the same issue.
Thanks

Froid

Apr 5, 2012
somewhere
Any new?
I have the same issue.
Thanks
I ended up purchasing a 2TB Western Digital My Passport external drive and it worked right away and haven't had an issue with it since. It's been great, but unfortunately, the original issue was never fixed as far as I know. I've taken a couple updates since, but haven't tried any other sticks since the WD Drive is working so well. If you're on the latest update and still having an issue, then I recommend an external drive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sicilianom

Jul 29, 2012
Thank you for the info.
How did you setup the heater all drive?
How did you managed to install all apps and games and not filling up the Internal 16GB memory?
Thanks

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

I ended up purchasing a 2TB Western Digital My Passport external drive and it worked right away and haven't had an issue with it since. It's been great, but unfortunately, the original issue was never fixed as far as I know. I've taken a couple updates since, but haven't tried any other sticks since the WD Drive is working so well. If you're on the latest update and still having an issue, then I recommend an external drive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info.
How did you setup the heater all drive?
How did you managed to install all apps and games and not filling up the Internal 16GB memory?
Thanks