Alternate Launcher (No Root) on Marshmallow, Nougat, Oreo, Pie Info

464 posts
Thanks Meter: 176

By DBCAB, Senior Member on 15th April 2016, 05:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
OK this has been covered in these threads

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...allow-t3227812

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...pmc-/?offset=5

But I figure post here with clear directions in case anyone needs, ty Asadullah and FantasticN

First find a launcher you intend to use I use The Ha launcher it can be found here
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ncher&hl=en_US
and install (It can also be found on the play store on the Shield)

On Shield TV

Marshmallow

Activate Developer mode: got to settings-Info and press build 8-times

Then go to Settings--Preferences--Developer Options and activate debugging for USB

On your PC (if needed) download Windows USB-Drivers for Shield TV and install:
https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source

Download Minimal ADB and Fastboot and install:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2317790

Connect your Shield TV via USB to mini USB with PC, For the 2017 Shield Model please look below for connection info.
Leave the Shield plugged in and turned on as the way u usually use it connected to tv open command prompt (Minimal ADB and Fastboot ) on PC and type adb devices the PC will try to connect with Shield TV via USB. A message will pop up on the tv requesting permission for that device. Confirm that message with the controller or other device you use mouse, remote etc.

Type in the command prompt

adb shell
pm hide com.google.android.leanbacklauncher

To undo this
adb shell
pm unhide com.google.android.leanbacklauncher

This will make the new launcher the default as it hides the leanback
(Commands are different for the Nougat build see Update below)

Also If this is needed because you cannot get into settings on your device afterwards I have attached a copy of the shields setting apk file that I got off the nvidia site just install it as you would any other apk and all is fine access all settings etc.

This should work fine with any launcher that is setup as a Home Launcher please make sure you have a launcher that works and is what u need/want and that it is indeed set up and set as Home launcher.

UPDATE : For Shields running Nougat build
This is for Nougat NON Rooted shields, This also works on the 2015 model.

For Nvidia Shield 2017 Model Please follow the updated instructions After you have set up minimal adb and fast boot on PC.

First get a Type-A to Type-A USB cable or an adapter that makes micro usb to Type-A
Use the Usb port furthest away from the Hdmi Port On The Shield TV
Select Usb device mode In Settings
Select Settings--Storage and Reset -- Using Usb (for Mtp)
Select Settings--About--Build-- Press Build 8 times to enable Developer mode then
Select Settings--Developer Options--Usb debugging (For adb)

Then

Type in the command prompt:
adb shell
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.leanbacklauncher

This should work fine with any launcher that is setup as a Home Launcher please make sure you have a launcher that works and is what u need/want and that it is indeed set up and set as Home launcher.

UPDATE: OREO Here are the new commands for the Oreo update
Type in the command prompt:

adb shell
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.leanbacklauncher
and
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.tvlauncher

This will uninstall the Default launcher on non-rooted shields please make sure you have a functional launcher, set as Home launcher before doing this.

UPDATE: Pie (8-3-2019) To enable adb debugging on Pie go to Settings -- device preferences -- about then scroll down to build select and click it until developer mode is enabled.
To Disable the New Pie Launcher use this command

adb shell
pm disable-user --user 0 com.google.android.tvlauncher
Attached Files
File Type: zip Settingsshield.zip - [Click for QR Code] (14.0 KB, 3072 views)
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to DBCAB For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DBCAB Ad-Free
15th April 2016, 01:44 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Cool. Should be stickied instead of scattered all over the place. Thank you.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
19th April 2016, 01:26 AM |#3  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Or you could install the app "home switcher for android tv" This hides and unhides leanback launcher without having to adb. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link but if you google whats in the quotes you will find the apk.
19th April 2016, 10:50 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Grand Forks

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad212

Or you could install the app "home switcher for android tv" This hides and unhides leanback launcher without having to adb. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link but if you google whats in the quotes you will find the apk.

If you are referring to https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...switcher&hl=en this app requires root but yes you are correct it will allow you to switch home launchers if you adb hide you can do it with or without root , was this the program you were talking about ? if not can you please link ty.
The Following User Says Thank You to DBCAB For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DBCAB Ad-Free
19th April 2016, 12:36 PM |#5  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCAB

If you are referring to https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...switcher&hl=en this app requires root but yes you are correct it will allow you to switch home launchers if you adb hide you can do it with or without root , was this the program you were talking about ? if not can you please link ty.

Yeah that's it. I couldn't find it on the play store. I forgot to mention you need root.
24th June 2016, 02:24 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hey , first thank you a lot for this tutorial ! But there's one thing that would be as useful as the settings.apk . Did someone found the power menu.apk of the leanback launcher ?
25th June 2016, 09:41 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Grand Forks

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirohan

Hey , first thank you a lot for this tutorial ! But there's one thing that would be as useful as the settings.apk . Did someone found the power menu.apk of the leanback launcher ?

If you want to bring up the power menu for restart, power off , etc. options that would depend on how you are controlling the device I use a harmony remote with mine, and under shield on remote if i hold down the power toggle button the main power menu will come up with options. Try holding down either the power toggle , or power button on the device you are using to control the shield , and see if the Power menu pops up. You can also restart the shield through the About tab under settings and place a shortcut to settings on the ha launcher home screen for easier access if restarting is what you are trying to do. As for turning off the machine if you hold the power button on the machine for around 10 to 12 seconds it will shut down.

As for access the power menu from home screen with the controller I have never been able to get it to do that and the launcher does'nt really have anything to do with it , because I'm able to access this menu with my remote.
25th June 2016, 10:08 PM |#8  

More
Thanks DBCAB but i haven't got a remote and i don't really want to force shutdown by pressing power for 10 seconds (because it is not very good to do that) nor want to just reboot. I wish to find the system shortcut, i haven't found yet but if i do i'll tell you how. But if someone find it before me, please tell us !
26th June 2016, 11:09 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Grand Forks

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirohan

Thanks DBCAB but i haven't got a remote and i don't really want to force shutdown by pressing power for 10 seconds (because it is not very good to do that) nor want to just reboot. I wish to find the system shortcut, i haven't found yet but if i do i'll tell you how. But if someone find it before me, please tell us !

The update notes for the marshmallow release state clearly the way to access the power menu on the home screen is to hold down the back button, it does not however state if they are referring to the remote or the controller. Guess we can try it. I do know long press the home key on the controller does bring up the twitch settings menu I haven't tested the back button on the controller to get to the power menu will check it tomorrow as its late atm.
26th June 2016, 11:48 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Grand Forks

More
Ok heres how how to make a shortcut to the power settings right on the launcher home screen first download this program from here at XDA in this thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...ities-t3397757
Next install it on Shield, open and go to the All Activities Tab scroll down till you see Settings its the first one on the list (the icon sorta looks like a stereo audio bar slider), and click on it, Next scroll down that list all the way to the bottom to the activity named (com.android.tv.settings.Power.Settings.Activity) and click on it, on the following screen rename the shortcut to something more normal like power or power setting whatever you like, then click the yellow icon to the bottom right to create a shortcut. Once this shortcut is made you can go into the app list on ha launcher and add this shortcut wherever you like as usual , and have access to the sleep restart and power off menu on the Shield. Kinda a round about way to do it but once its done you have the shortcut so all good.

You can also change the icon etc as usual in ha launcher.
28th June 2016, 11:55 PM |#11  

More
Thanks a lot , that was exactly what i needed !
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)