Alternate Launcher (No Root) on Marshmallow, Nougat, Oreo, Pie Info

Search This thread

schneid

Dec 3, 2007
In the wind
I may have simply missed it in this thread but why is no one simply using this:
https://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/general/ftvlaunchx-custom-launcher-root-t4037397
@SweenWolf on the Fire TV Forum even created an ATV Launcher for the Shield TV. Which is what I use. U just install FTVLauncherX and then his WolfLauncher and it works really well. Also with FTVLauncherX you can use whatever app you want as a launcher.

I imagine most users find using ADB pretty daunting. It's a wonderful thing but then I started in DOS. Especially now that one can cut and paste from Windows to a Command Prompt.

dk1keith

Jul 26, 2012
I imagine most users find using ADB pretty daunting. It's a wonderful thing but then I started in DOS. Especially now that one can cut and paste from Windows to a Command Prompt.
Definitely not one that finds ADB daunting...lol
I know ADB and Fastboot pretty well. I also started out in DOS which is why ADB seemed straight forward to me. I do like to keep things simple though. I wanted to ensure users knew of another approach to changing the launcher that didn't involve ADB. Just installing a few apps which most are probably comfortable with. Whatever gets it done though..for sure.

MaraDonAlex

Apr 4, 2011
On my Shield TV Pro 2019 (Android 8.2) I installed ATV Launcher. But it crashes/freezes everytime I exit Kodi or press the home button.
I get a blank screen and I have to restart the Shield. I also disabled the default launcher through adb. Any tips?

Last edited:

DBCAB

Nov 9, 2015
Grand Forks
On my Shield TV Pro 2019 (Android 8.2) I installed ATV Launcher. But it crashes/freezes everytime I exit Kodi or press the home button.
I get a blank screen and I have to restart the Shield. I also disabled the default launcher through adb. Any tips?

Im not too familiar with the ATV launcher, although we do have a nvidia shield, so its basically capable of running any launcher, if you are having issues with ATV launcher, either try to get the latest update apk from the play store or a reliable source, or try another launcher there are many on the play store right on the shield, The Ha launcher which is what I use and recommend in this thread has a similar interface to the atv launcher. The only thing I can suggest is maybe looking into the settings on the atv launcher, and make sure its set to be the home launcher, also verify the version of kodi you are using is not set up as a home launcher. It might be the home button press is mapped to kodis home screen and the home screen of atv launcher and causing the crash check the settings on the launcher and kodi. I have ha launcher and kodi installed when I hit home it takes me to my launchers main page so not sure what can be causing it other then maybe a button map conflict or the version of Atv launcher you are using.

You can of course simply try one of the many other launchers on the play store and see what you like and what works for you.

MaraDonAlex

Apr 4, 2011
Im not too familiar with the ATV launcher, although we do have a nvidia shield, so its basically capable of running any launcher, if you are having issues with ATV launcher, either try to get the latest update apk from the play store or a reliable source, or try another launcher there are many on the play store right on the shield, The Ha launcher which is what I use and recommend in this thread has a similar interface to the atv launcher. The only thing I can suggest is maybe looking into the settings on the atv launcher, and make sure its set to be the home launcher, also verify the version of kodi you are using is not set up as a home launcher. It might be the home button press is mapped to kodis home screen and the home screen of atv launcher and causing the crash check the settings on the launcher and kodi. I have ha launcher and kodi installed when I hit home it takes me to my launchers main page so not sure what can be causing it other then maybe a button map conflict or the version of Atv launcher you are using.

You can of course simply try one of the many other launchers on the play store and see what you like and what works for you.

I know what caused the problem with all launchers I tried.
It was the following adb command:

adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.google.android.tvlauncher

This caused the launcher to freeze. Thanks though.

DBCAB

Nov 9, 2015
Grand Forks
I know what caused the problem with all launchers I tried.
It was the following adb command:

adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.google.android.tvlauncher

This caused the launcher to freeze. Thanks though.

Yeah The command is type

adb shell

then hit enter

then type

pm disable-user --user 0 com.google.android.tvlauncher

Also if you want to reinstall the default launcher its on the play store for anyone that would like the original one back.

MaraDonAlex

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah The command is type

adb shell

then hit enter

then type

Also if you want to reinstall the default launcher its on the play store for anyone that would like the original one back.

Don't know what the difference is. The launcher isn't uninstalled but disabled. I could enable the default launcher in settings.

cHECKjAM

Aug 28, 2015
Anyone knows a good solid launcher for nvidia shield experience 8.2 that is open source?
I have a rooted nvidia shield 2017 Pro and a nvidia shield 2019 Pro. I would like to sideload apps on this but use a sideload app or launcher that is open source and reliable.

Thanks

DBCAB

Nov 9, 2015
Grand Forks
Anyone knows a good solid launcher for nvidia shield experience 8.2 that is open source?
I have a rooted nvidia shield 2017 Pro and a nvidia shield 2019 Pro. I would like to sideload apps on this but use a sideload app or launcher that is open source and reliable.

Thanks

Hi Well there are these 2 apps here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dxidev.sideload.channel.launcher&hl=en_US&gl=US

It allows you to Create your own Android TV channels to launch your installed sideloaded applications

and

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.tv.sideloadlauncher&hl=en_US&gl=US

a sideload launcher

As for open source I guess you could try searching with google but both of these are reliable and stable, as for sideloading apps to the shield for installation of apps you can also go into the setting on the shield under storage settings and set it up to be accessed on your home network and then just transfer apks to a folder on the shield from pc, you can also use a file explorer type app on the shield to install those apks or to browse to your pc and directly install them from a shared folder.

I realize this doesn't directly answer your question but could help some users reading this have a happy Thanksgiving all.

Alendrew11

Oct 20, 2020
LaunchX app launcher

SweenWolf on the Fire TV Forum even created an ATV Launcher for the Shield TV. Which is what I use. U just install FTVLauncherX and then his WolfLauncher and it works really well. Also with FTVLauncherX you can use whatever app you want as a launcher.

Thanks for sharing this information. I am also a great user of FTVLauncherX. It makes all my apps awesome....

Last edited:

Alendrew11

Oct 20, 2020
LaunchX app launcher

@SweenWolf on the Fire TV Forum even created an ATV Launcher for the Shield TV. Which is what I use. U just install FTVLauncherX and then his WolfLauncher and it works really well. Also with FTVLauncherX you can use whatever app you want as a launcher.

Thanks for sharing this information. I am also a great user of FTVLauncherX. It makes all my apps awesome....

Last edited:

savelbys

Mar 9, 2020
Hello,

i'm using the newest Nvidia Shield TV Pro at the newest update with the Wolf Launcher (https://www.techdoctoruk.com/sdm_downloads/wolf-launcher-for-shield-tv-atv-mod/)
I´m using the Launcher Manager too (https://www.techdoctoruk.com/sdm_downloads/launcher-manager-shield-tv/) and disabled the stock one.

i'm also increased the size from the Shield TV to 4K (because original it is at Full HD and looks very blurry)
with the following commands through adbLink:

wm size 3840x2160
wm density 355
settings put system font_scale 0.75
reboot

Now i have experienced crashes/freezes with the Plex App. When i want to configure an Application, it crashes too.

Anyone have that problem too? Is the Wolf Launcher stable/good or is that because the 4K increase?

I have read many times that the Launchers overall are making problems...
Is there no stable/good Launcher out there? The original Android TV Launcher is annoying

Last edited:

DBCAB

Nov 9, 2015
Grand Forks
Does this work well on top of Lineage OS Full Android for Nvidia Shield TV?

I Have Stock non rooted Nvidia shield, so I cant say what works with lineage OS. Im assuming any launcher will run and can be set to be the home launcher on a rooted system and that disabling the home launcher would not be necessary. You could just disable or uninstall it because you are rooted , but yes the command will work in much the same way if you would like to use adb to disable the home launcher vs another method.

DBCAB

Nov 9, 2015
Grand Forks
Hello,

i'm using the newest Nvidia Shield TV Pro at the newest update with the Wolf Launcher (https://www.techdoctoruk.com/sdm_downloads/wolf-launcher-for-shield-tv-atv-mod/)
I´m using the Launcher Manager too (https://www.techdoctoruk.com/sdm_downloads/launcher-manager-shield-tv/) and disabled the stock one.

i'm also increased the size from the Shield TV to 4K (because original it is at Full HD and looks very blurry)

wm size 3840x2160
wm density 355
reboot

Now i have experienced crashes/freezes with the Plex App. When i want to configure an Application, it crashes too.

Anyone have that problem too? Is the Wolf Launcher stable/good or is that because the 4K increase?

Is there no stable/good Launcher out there? The original Android TV Launcher is annoying

There are quite a few tv launchers, try the play store on the Shield and search and try a few till you find a stable one you like heres a few from google play search https://play.google.com/store/search?q=android tv launchers

As for the Plex thing that would probably be a question for a Plex forum, you could try to update Plex on the shield make sure its the latest version and that the shield is also on the latest version or reverse the changes you made through adb link and test it to see if it still crashes to determine if that caused the issue.

Eagle00Eye

Jul 6, 2021
Hello,

wm size 3840x2160
wm density 355
reboot

I have your exact issue. did you ever get a fix for it. I am using Sideload Channel Launcher 3 and have disabled the stock launcher via ADB also.

When using "wm size 3840x2160" and "wm density 640" I also experience random crashes in the Plex app. Or once the movie is playing it will start to stutter and the remote wont work.
I have to hard reset the shield every time.

This is so frustrating because the upscaled icons look amazing. I really don't want to have to go back. I experience the crashing on Wolf launcher also. so its not launcher related.

I also reverted back to stock Size and Density and for 2 days I experienced zero issues. so its definitely the ADB commands.

HELP!!!!

Edit: After a bit of troubleshooting the command that is causing the crashing is the wm density command. anything other than the default 320 is causing plex to crash every now and then.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK this has been covered in these threads

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-player/general/how-to-set-default-launcher-marshmallow-t3227812

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/929643/auto-start-spmc-/?offset=5

But I figure post here with clear directions in case anyone needs, ty Asadullah and FantasticN

First find a launcher you intend to use I use The Ha launcher it can be found here
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.i.akihiro.halauncher&hl=en_US
    and install (It can also be found on the play store on the Shield)

On Shield TV

Marshmallow

Activate Developer mode: got to settings-Info and press build 8-times

Then go to Settings--Preferences--Developer Options and activate debugging for USB

On your PC (if needed) download Windows USB-Drivers for Shield TV and install:
    https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source

Download Minimal ADB and Fastboot and install:
    https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

Connect your Shield TV via USB to mini USB with PC, For the 2017 Shield Model please look below for connection info.
    Leave the Shield plugged in and turned on as the way u usually use it connected to tv open command prompt (Minimal ADB and Fastboot ) on PC and type adb devices the PC will try to connect with Shield TV via USB. A message will pop up on the tv requesting permission for that device. Confirm that message with the controller or other device you use mouse, remote etc.

Type in the command prompt

adb shell
    pm hide com.google.android.leanbacklauncher

To undo this
    adb shell
    pm unhide com.google.android.leanbacklauncher

This will make the new launcher the default as it hides the leanback
    (Commands are different for the Nougat build see Update below)

Also If this is needed because you cannot get into settings on your device afterwards I have attached a copy of the shields setting apk file that I got off the nvidia site just install it as you would any other apk and all is fine access all settings etc.

This should work fine with any launcher that is setup as a Home Launcher please make sure you have a launcher that works and is what u need/want and that it is indeed set up and set as Home launcher.

UPDATE : For Shields running Nougat build
    This is for Nougat NON Rooted shields, This also works on the 2015 model.

For Nvidia Shield 2017 Model Please follow the updated instructions After you have set up minimal adb and fast boot on PC.

First get a Type-A to Type-A USB cable or an adapter that makes micro usb to Type-A
    Use the Usb port furthest away from the Hdmi Port On The Shield TV
    Select Usb device mode In Settings
    Select Settings--Storage and Reset -- Using Usb (for Mtp)
    Select Settings--About--Build-- Press Build 8 times to enable Developer mode then
    Select Settings--Developer Options--Usb debugging (For adb)

Then

Type in the command prompt:
    adb shell
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.leanbacklauncher

This should work fine with any launcher that is setup as a Home Launcher please make sure you have a launcher that works and is what u need/want and that it is indeed set up and set as Home launcher.

UPDATE: OREO Here are the new commands for the Oreo update
    Type in the command prompt:

adb shell
    and
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.tvlauncher

This will uninstall the Default launcher on non-rooted shields please make sure you have a functional launcher, set as Home launcher before doing this.

UPDATE: Pie (8-3-2019) To enable adb debugging on Pie go to Settings -- device preferences -- about then scroll down to build select and click it until developer mode is enabled.
    To Disable the New Pie Launcher use this command

adb shell
    The new 8.0 Oreo method is;
    and
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.tvlauncher
    Now, your new launcher will start up automatically.
    This is for the nvidia shield devices.

Has anyone tried this method on a non rooted Nvidia shield 2017 ? Can report back to confirm it works or does not ty.

I am on updated ATV 5.2 Shield 2017, and I desperately wish to hide/disable the leanback launcher! I have tried the pm hide com.google.android.leanbacklauncher adb command, but get the java error, as el goog has patched that loophole.

I'd be willing to wager that they've patched this one, too. I'll make an attempt at this method when I get home from work and report back.

UPDATE: CONFIRMED THIS DOES WORK ON NON-ROOTED 2017 16GB SHIELD!

Steps I followed:
    1. Download and install the alternate launcher of your choice. For me, it's TVLauncher3. Make sure you have another launcher before you uninstall Leanback Launcher, just to be safe. I'm not sure what would happen, if you attempt to uninstall before you already have something in place...
    2. Assuming you already have adb installed, and developer options enabled, and a connection between a pc and your shield, open a shell:
    Code:
    adb shell
    3. PROFIT!

I first tried pm hide -k --user com.google.android.leanbacklauncher, but that still gave me the permissions error, but UNINSTALL worked! I'm so happy now! No more leanback! It shows 0kb in the app folder, and at this point, I don't really care. Nothing's broken so far. And TV Launcher is soooo much simpler and prettier to look at!

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm stoked that this worked. I wonder if we can change the thread title and paste these instructions to the first page, that this method has been confirmed working on ATV 5.2
    Just got Nvidia coming from Minix so not use to the launcher. Tried 2 Atv launcher and TV launcher. Once installed can I switch between the two or do i have to go back to adb and change it back to another one?

Once the original launcher is gone you can use whatever launcher you like and switch in between as many as you like, just make sure you have one installed and working before you try another one, but you can simply uninstall the ones you don't like after you have the one you choose , through the interface no adb required.
    Or you could install the app "home switcher for android tv" This hides and unhides leanback launcher without having to adb. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link but if you google whats in the quotes you will find the apk.

If you are referring to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.asad.homeswitcher&hl=en this app requires root but yes you are correct it will allow you to switch home launchers if you adb hide you can do it with or without root , was this the program you were talking about ? if not can you please link ty.