[TUT] Ubuntu on Adam Methods - 03/12/11

Search This thread

webs05

Apr 27, 2009
Quad Cities
PLEASE READ FIRST

This post will have info on the chroot method. To find out info on running Ubuntu natively on the Adam, click this link for post #2 below. Enjoy :)

chroot Method:

chroot Ubuntu on Adam Beta1...

For now project files for chroot method will be located at this Google Code Project site. Files will be posted shortly, stay tuned. :)

DO NOT attempt this yet until specified as alpha or beta or otherwise stated as ready for testing!!

Liability:
I'm not responsible for what you do with your device, this is a guide or tutorial for general purposes only.

If you do not have a strong understanding of rooting and how to recover a device from scratch DO NOT attempt this until we are our of beta stages. Wait till you see RC status at least.

Verified working with bugs

Directions:
I'm not sure what file format is needed on the SD card, so make sure it has the stock file format from Android.

1. Make sure you are rooted using the methods listed here or Notion Ink Hacks Forum.
  2. Download necessary files:
    - Main scripts: Download from Google Code Project webpage. http://code.google.com/p/chroot-ubuntu-ni-adam-tablet/
    - Ubuntu.img file: Download from MegaUpload. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3ZQTCUUN
  3. Create a folder on root of your Adam SD card called "ubuntu" and download the files from the Google Code Project site to this folder.
  4. Unzip "ubuntu.img.zip" package and copy or move "ubuntu.img" file to the ubuntu folder you created above. Delete all the rest of the files. Do this to make sure you do not confuse the scripts I've put together for the Adam.
  5. Plug Adam into your computer and make sure you have a connection to it.
  6. Android SDK installed on a local computer with ADB functioning.
  7. Make sure you do not have the SD card mounted on your computer. Also make sure USB Debugging is turned on, which I think you need for ADB.
  8. Change the name of "bootubuntu[x].[x]" to just "bootubuntu"! DO NOT use the original "bootubuntu" file.
  9. If you haven't already open a command prompt and type:
    Code:
    adb shell
  10. Enter superuser mode:
    Code:
    su
  11. Change directory to the "ubuntu" folder:
    Code:
    cd /sdcard/ubuntu
  12. Run the setup script (You should only have to run this once or whenever new updates to the files are released):
    Code:
    sh ./ubuntu.sh

Once the script finished you should be good to go, type the following to run Ubuntu:
    Code:
    bootubuntu
  13. If you see something like the following below, job well done!
    Code:
    root@localhost:/#

Troubleshooting:
  • If you get any errors, please FIRST, try rebooting Adam and start back at "adb shell" step 7 and try again.
  • More to come

If you get any errors, please post at what step number you got an error and post as much detailed info as you can about the error. Myself and others will do what we can to help.

Resources:
http://nexusonehacks.net/nexus-one-hacks/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-your-nexus-oneandroid/
http://tegradeveloper.nvidia.com/tegra/forum/workaround-run-ubuntu-now

Last edited:
Reactions: moviecut and amitks

webs05

Apr 27, 2009
Quad Cities
There is nothing to test yet. Not until more research is done and files gathered. Not to mention we still need full root and unlock first.

Do not attempt to run the files in that link.

Sent from my Evo

Gkar3

Dec 27, 2007
Near Paris
For Rooting Adam it seems that it's done ?

And Don't worry i will not try to use fill that wasn't for Adam.

If you need help ... to search, test ... I will be part of ;o)

webs05

Apr 27, 2009
Quad Cities
Thanks Gkar! Just be sure to follow this thread as any updates will appear here.

Also, root methods have been started but there are bugs. We need Adam users to help with that process first before helping here. Once that process works consistently I plan to get started on this.

Sent from my Evo

Gkar3

Dec 27, 2007
Near Paris
Pfffff ... I've just seen on pre-order page that my date has been pulled to 14th feb 2011 and then i will have to wait to test !!

amitks

Dec 11, 2010
New York
Ubuntu netbook edition

Btw, I am sure you have seen this, but Ubuntu does have a Netbook Edition. It brings all the advantages of Ubuntu to a netbook – using Unity, an innovative user interface super-optimised for smaller screens and also convenient for touch screens.

So, this may be the best version to port to Adam if we can get it going. I unfortunately have no development knowledge to know if it is possible.

Gkar3

Dec 27, 2007
Near Paris
Mmmmmh .... i'm using Netbook edition on EEE 901 for my kids but unity isn't mature.

I prefer old version of Netbook edition (10.04 LTS) ... and that's the version used to create Ubuntu Distro for HD2.

Maybe we can ask them for some help.

tillum

Oct 31, 2009
I'm interested on this too. For the record, I'm keen to get an Adam and wipe Eden, replacing it with Ubuntu. I think Ubuntu 11.04 will be an awesome distro to run on a tablet, and currently Notion Ink's Adam is the only one being made that meets the stats I'd like to see.

The current hacks that exist to get Ubuntu running on the Nexus One (have done that) require running a modified server version from the sdcard, the using VNC to run a virtual session. Has it's plusses (running within Android, for instance), but I'm keen to see Ubuntu running natively. Android isn't mature enough to be a main system yet, whilst Ubuntu is. Cheers.

webs05

Apr 27, 2009
Quad Cities
Thanks for your patience everyone. I've been swamped. This weekend I plan to hunt down some files, look at the scripts, and hopefully we can start trying this shortly!

TreTuna

Jul 10, 2010
This is one of the main reasons I have been waiting for the Adam for so long. Hopefully we can dual boot Ubuntu as that is what I would prefer, but if not, oh well. I want to have a tablet that acts more like a computer then a glorified smartphone without phone capabilities... Can't wait to see the development of this!

webs05

Apr 27, 2009
Quad Cities
This is one of the main reasons I have been waiting for the Adam for so long. Hopefully we can dual boot Ubuntu as that is what I would prefer, but if not, oh well. I want to have a tablet that acts more like a computer then a glorified smartphone without phone capabilities... Can't wait to see the development of this!

Dual booting is always preferred yes, but that is not what my method will do. This method will be a bootloader running on top of Android. For many reasons this will be easiest for now.

posytive

Feb 10, 2011
I'm very excited about this, can't wait to have my Adam and following the developent of ubuntu.

I really think, on another hand, that Android and Ubuntu are majors players in the open-source OS and should therefore communicate better.

I want Adam to be the best friend of my Ubuntu desktop. There are so many possible ways to make these OS interact, at least the way iOS talk to Mac OS X.
i can't wait for my Adam to be here to write apps in this direction!

webs05

Apr 27, 2009
Quad Cities
I love that idea as well. Would be cool if there was a way to integrate Ubuntu netbook edition and Android.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

tillum

Oct 31, 2009
Ubuntu netbook edition and the desktop version are now the same thing with the upcoming release. Actually, the whole UI of Ubuntu is getting a major overhaul to be touch centric. Currently, my nexus one running cyanogenmod DOES talk to my Ubuntu netbook. And server. Very well in fact. Tomdroid for notes reads all off my desktop tomboy notes, and Funambol, with syncevolution syncs my calendar and address book.

Have just ordered an Adam with a friend, and plan to hack it extensively until Ubuntu is running in full, natively, as it's primary operating system. Android is useful, but doesn't have the functionality of Ubuntu. Would be useful having android as a secondary system, or within Ubuntu, but I won't hold my breathe.

I agree though, the first step seems to be getting Ubuntu running within android. I'm starting to research how the bootloader needs to be hacked to recognise a usb or dvd drive to boot from, and how it would "see" ubuntu installed on one of the internal drives. Will post back with more info soon, even though this is further down the track.

sankar24

Nov 24, 2010
chennai
Ubuntu netbook edition and the desktop version are now the same thing with the upcoming release. Actually, the whole UI of Ubuntu is getting a major overhaul to be touch centric. Currently, my nexus one running cyanogenmod DOES talk to my Ubuntu netbook. And server. Very well in fact. Tomdroid for notes reads all off my desktop tomboy notes, and Funambol, with syncevolution syncs my calendar and address book.

Have just ordered an Adam with a friend, and plan to hack it extensively until Ubuntu is running in full, natively, as it's primary operating system. Android is useful, but doesn't have the functionality of Ubuntu. Would be useful having android as a secondary system, or within Ubuntu, but I won't hold my breathe.

I agree though, the first step seems to be getting Ubuntu running within android. I'm starting to research how the bootloader needs to be hacked to recognise a usb or dvd drive to boot from, and how it would "see" ubuntu installed on one of the internal drives. Will post back with more info soon, even though this is further down the track.

I ordered my Adam Once I saw it figure in XDA forum. My experience with XDA especially with SGS phone has been immensely satisfying. The way Things are going I am sure Adam will be an object of envy before long.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE READ FIRST

This post will have info on the chroot method. To find out info on running Ubuntu natively on the Adam, click this link for post #2 below. Enjoy :)

chroot Method:

chroot Ubuntu on Adam Beta1...

For now project files for chroot method will be located at this Google Code Project site. Files will be posted shortly, stay tuned. :)

DO NOT attempt this yet until specified as alpha or beta or otherwise stated as ready for testing!!

Liability:
    I'm not responsible for what you do with your device, this is a guide or tutorial for general purposes only.

If you do not have a strong understanding of rooting and how to recover a device from scratch DO NOT attempt this until we are our of beta stages. Wait till you see RC status at least.

Verified working with bugs

Directions:
    I'm not sure what file format is needed on the SD card, so make sure it has the stock file format from Android.

1. Make sure you are rooted using the methods listed here or Notion Ink Hacks Forum.
    2. Download necessary files:
      - Main scripts: Download from Google Code Project webpage. http://code.google.com/p/chroot-ubuntu-ni-adam-tablet/
      - Ubuntu.img file: Download from MegaUpload. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3ZQTCUUN
    3. Create a folder on root of your Adam SD card called "ubuntu" and download the files from the Google Code Project site to this folder.
    4. Unzip "ubuntu.img.zip" package and copy or move "ubuntu.img" file to the ubuntu folder you created above. Delete all the rest of the files. Do this to make sure you do not confuse the scripts I've put together for the Adam.
    5. Plug Adam into your computer and make sure you have a connection to it.
    6. Android SDK installed on a local computer with ADB functioning.
    7. Make sure you do not have the SD card mounted on your computer. Also make sure USB Debugging is turned on, which I think you need for ADB.
    8. Change the name of "bootubuntu[x].[x]" to just "bootubuntu"! DO NOT use the original "bootubuntu" file.
    9. If you haven't already open a command prompt and type:
      Code:
      adb shell
    10. Enter superuser mode:
      Code:
      su
    11. Change directory to the "ubuntu" folder:
      Code:
      cd /sdcard/ubuntu
    12. Run the setup script (You should only have to run this once or whenever new updates to the files are released):
      Code:
      sh ./ubuntu.sh

Once the script finished you should be good to go, type the following to run Ubuntu:
      Code:
      bootubuntu
    13. If you see something like the following below, job well done!
      Code:
      root@localhost:/#

Troubleshooting:
    • If you get any errors, please FIRST, try rebooting Adam and start back at "adb shell" step 7 and try again.
    • More to come

If you get any errors, please post at what step number you got an error and post as much detailed info as you can about the error. Myself and others will do what we can to help.

Resources:
    http://nexusonehacks.net/nexus-one-hacks/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-your-nexus-oneandroid/
    http://tegradeveloper.nvidia.com/tegra/forum/workaround-run-ubuntu-now
    Thank you for showing the initiative, tillum, but unfortunately I am going to have to move the other thread into General for the time being. When any actual active development gets under way, PM me and I will gladly move it back here immediately.

I also believe webs05's plan for this thread to become a "one stop shop" for Ubuntu on the Adam, regardless of method, is a great idea. Perhaps if/when your way of running Ubuntu natively gets fleshed out, yours can remain as the actual development thread for native Ubuntu installation technique and webs05's can be the overall sticky describing how to do it either way.

Designating the threads in this manner will make them more useful for the community at a glance, with less searching required and less clutter in the dev section (until there's reason to warrant the space used--active development). Plus, lets face it. Many users under-utilize the search function, so the more efficiently that the information can be disseminated, the better.

If anyone disagrees with taking this direction for the threads, please PM me and we'll sort it out. :)

If you want separate threads that is okay with me. My preference would be to have all information in the same place and any steps you came up with for natively running Ubuntu we could put in my second comment I reserved.

Part of my preference for having it all in one place is that its a one stop shop for users. And there will be no duplication of effort. For instance, it is likely we both will be using the same Ubuntu image and kernel.

Good idea. Have just created a thread for native installs of Ubuntu. It's http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=955102

webs05, could you edit this thread, and rename it to getting Ubuntu running within android? Also, would be great if you could link to the thread above in your first post.

This thread is an awesome way to get Ubuntu functionality on the Adam, and shouldn't get bogged down with posts it wasn't intended for. Cheers. Tillum
    That's fine willverduzco, but please delete my other thread, it will just get too confusing! Much happier with just using this one. Thanks for your consideration, but I'm not attached to any method, and have no claim over it. Cheers.

Thank you for showing the initiative, tillum, but unfortunately I am going to have to move the other thread into General for the time being. When any actual active development gets under way, PM me and I will gladly move it back here immediately.

I also believe webs05's plan for this thread to become a "one stop shop" for Ubuntu on the Adam, regardless of method, is a great idea. Perhaps if/when your way of running Ubuntu natively gets fleshed out, yours can remain as the actual development thread for native Ubuntu installation technique and webs05's can be the overall sticky describing how to do it either way.

Designating the threads in this manner will make them more useful for the community at a glance, with less searching required and less clutter in the dev section (until there's reason to warrant the space used--active development). Plus, lets face it. Many users under-utilize the search function, so the more efficiently that the information can be disseminated, the better.

If anyone disagrees with taking this direction for the threads, please PM me and we'll sort it out. :)
    @ willverduzco, that makes sense to me.

@ tillum, thanks for your hard work and ability to jump in and help. I really appreciate it and the community will too. I'll be counting on your experience for getting Ubuntu running natively.

In the meantime, hopefully I will have some files ready for testing by the end of this week for running Ubuntu on Adam.

I'm assuming people following this thread want to get this working. But before anyone starts testing, make sure you are 1) rooted with Titanium Backup (TB) and Busybox installed 2) comfortable and knowledgeable on how to recover your Adam and get it back to stock 3) actually have practice restoring to stock and restoring backups 4) comfortable with backup and restore methods (using whatever method you are comfortable with) 5) prepared for some headaches and have patience for my inevitable mistakes.

That said if you have an Adam, want to help out, and are okay with the 5 items above than stay tuned. I am hoping to have files to test with by the end of this wee. I am pretty free this week besides tomorrow and have most of the weekend to dedicate.

:D
    Hi darethehair. Good question. The main issue with the adam is the tegra 250 chip it's running, which amongst other things is an arm processor. Until recently, Ubuntu hasn't been able to run on arm. Nor would you have wanted it to, as arm wasn't powerful enough. Times have changed, and now arm processors are being used extensively for tablets, smartphones, netbooks, etc.

The Ubuntu community is making a huge push towads mobile computing. You can see this in the more recent support for several arm boards, as well as the redesigned touch-centric ui coming out with the next release. While this development is moving very fast, some of the newer arm platforms aren't supported yet.

Our hope with this thread is to work on Ubuntu support with the adam, which uses the tegra 250 chip. Most tablets set to launch this year also use this same chip, so I would hope much of the work we do will carry across. That will always depend on the manufacturers though, particularly how many 'blocks' they put in place to stop you from doing this in the first place. (Motorola has a particularly bad track record)

So to answer your question, yes, much of what we do here will support other tablets, providing they have a tegra 250 chipset. The actual image we use will probably transfer across with little hassle. How you root them and actually install Ubuntu on them is a different matter, and beyond the scope of this thread.

Cheers.