[Jan 7] Kubuntu for HD2 v0.1.0 [htc-msm-2.6.32 26/12/10]

Search This thread

plopper

Dec 7, 2008
Cant wait for this to be released,.. is there an IRC chat or any other place to check for updates?

Also, has anyone tried this or the other Ubuntu build using a small Bluetooth keyboard and mouse?
Ive got wired KB & Mouse working with a powered USB hub, but would make sense to use bluetooth given the complex connectors that the setup needs!

website with info about updates and the manuals on how to install those.
http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

irc on freenode.
offtopic chat: #htc-linux-chat
(do not ask anything in the dev chat which isn't development related).
dev chat: #htc-linux
dev-chat: #kubuntu-mobile

plopper

Reactions: Legioner79

souljaboy

Apr 30, 2009
@OP

have you considered using an overclocking kernel ? 1.2 that works on all phones compared to standard 1.0 is a 20% gain just like that :eek:

Reactions: Legioner79

heresandyboy

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester
In between new job and smashing my laptop screen and a dying hd2 I've struggled to work on this. Now things have calmed down a little ill do what I can, I should have released this ages ago sorry everyone.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

Nilesh1

Dec 6, 2010
In between new job and smashing my laptop screen and a dying hd2 I've struggled to work on this. Now things have calmed down a little ill do what I can, I should have released this ages ago sorry everyone.

No worries Im grateful that your still working on it, can you give an approx date for when you'll release it?

ionbasa

Aug 1, 2010
Redlands
To everyone asking about when it will be released:

Look over the previous posts and you will find out that it hasn't been released yet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kubuntu for the HTC HD2 version 0.1.0
    This release is intended to be run via Haret from within windows mobile.
    A MAGLDR version will be released as soon and problems have been ironed out.
    Consider this a Technology preview and as such is not intended for daily use.

08/01/11 2:30pm GMT: Sorry for the delay in release I've had a few breakthroughs and decided to implement the changes now rather than do several releases in one week. PM me if you can host the files for me.

What is Kubuntu?
    Put simply its the debian based Desktop class OS Ubuntu built with the KDE UI instead of GNOME

Whats special about this release?
    Built from scratch - Using Rootstock to create a clean fresh ARM Kubuntu 10.10 rootfs.ext2 image with which to start from.
    Finger friendly - Uses Kubuntu's Plasma Netbook UI tweaked in detail by me to allow for optimized touch experience without compromising on screen space.
    Some examples:

• Hide titlebar and menu bar on maximized windows - Menu, close and unmaximize all tucked into the top panel.
    • Unmaximized windows have big buttons on the titlebar.
    • Large fonts in menus
    • Easily switch between open apps - Uses Desktop Effects to zoom out and present all open windows in a sexy grid, all from a quick tap of the top panel
    Better experience - Some niggles from the original Ubuntu 0.2/0.3 release have been addressed:
    • Better Keyboard - kvkbd - comes with Kubuntu already
    • Better click and hold options - Thanks to Clickity you can customize your click and hold experience
    • Overhaul of connectivity options - Completely rewritten connectivity scripts to include intelligent notification tray icon and messages to inform you of 3G/Wifi/USB modes and Internet connectivity. Store settings and choose what option you require on startup. All accessed from a little connectivity icon at the bottom of home screen

==Note: Not quite finished this yet, waiting till i have finished it and packaged it into an installer so HD2 Ubuntu 0.3 users can have it too before i release my kubuntu build. Fingers crossed its only an hours work away.

What Works
    • 3G - Added system tray notification support, Showing if 3G is on and also if it is connected to internet or not.
    • Wifi - Uses WICD. Default network-manager almost worked, it showed available wifi points but could never complete a connection, reverted to WICD
    • USB Host - connect lots of different usb devices. See this for instructions
    • USB Network (Not been able to use internet sharing as yet but can ssh)
    • SMS and Phone using latest ofono 0,25-1 and Sphone 0.0.5 - no sound tho
    • Battery notification! - Works perfectly giving status in taskbar, Icon shows charge level, plugged and unplugged icons too.

What still does not work - Mostly Kernel related I am not working on these currently I have simply made a new filesystem see htc-linux for info.
    • Sound
    • Bluetooth
    • GPS
    • Accelerometer
    • Hardware buttons not functional
    • No Screen Rotation
    • Suspend/Sleep - Power management set to turn off screen after 4 mins to conserve battery. Set in Power saver mode when unplugged Performance when plugged.

Q&A Bugs issues and Workarounds
    There is no keyboard on login screen and I need to enter a password i I have enabled paswordless login so just click the (>) to login.
    Keyboard Closed - Click on Home at the top left and reopen kvkbd.
    Press and hold does not right click - Clickity should be on the taskbar, if not open from Utilities on Home screen. You can toggle the press hold action by pressing the mouse taksbar icon repeatedly until the icon shows the required function.
    Freezes -
    Can happen if your running something intensive. Wait a few minutes without touching anything and often it comes back to life do not repeatedly click anything you will make it worse.
    Often its just one app causing the problem. Bring up the keyboard with floating shortcut and the following shortcuts may help (Click it once and wait a mo if your system is freezing):
    Ctrl + Alt + Esc - Turns the pointer into a skull and crossbones app killer, next click on the unresponsive app to kill it.
    Alt + F4 or Ctrl + Esc - Normal Close.
    Ctrl - Alt - Backspace - restart the x-server
    Other useful keyboard shortcuts
    Win + D - Go to Home/Desktop
    F11 - Fullscreen App toggle, only for some programs.
    Alt + Tab - Switch to previous open window

Install Instructions
    Extract the linux folder to the main directory(!) of your Storage Card.
    If the linux folder is not located in the main directory of the Card,it will not work.
    Note: This will not touch your phone's internal memory. WinMo or other Linux/Android builds remain unchanged.

Startup Advice
    1) Save all your current work and start the HaRET executable in the linux folder of your SD card to boot Linux.
    2) Wait a few moments untill you see the Kubuntu login screen. Do not press anything and it will auto login after a 10 second delay.
    If you accidentally click the screen you will notice the password vanish and there is no keyboard! Never fear passwordless login is enabled so just click the (>) to login.
    3) Enjoy
    4) Shutdown using the power icon on the top panel.

Thanks and references
    Big thanks to the usual suspects for all their hard work on porting Linux to HD2:
    Lucas David-Gorris - dcordes
    cr2
    NetRipper
    Markinus
    LeTama
    Cotulla
    dan1j3l
    Parad0XUA
    manusfreedom

Roll your own Linux
    http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ubuntu/Leo
    Some parts are not yet up-to-date but dcordes promises to update soon. Perhaps I should document my own experience to add to the existing wiki.

Get the Linux kernel souce code:
    git clone git://git.linuxtogo.org/home/groups/mobile-linux/kernel.git htc-msm-2.6.32

Compile Linux kernels for your HTC
    http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?title=QuickDeveloperStartGuide#Kernel

Sphone
    Clickity

WHATS NEXT FOR HERESANDYBOY?
    Working on XUBUNTU rootfs at the moment - should be speedy
    Testing KUBUNTU 11.04 MOBILE currently - its no where near usable frankly may be better to wait for a proper release.
    Will be keeping an eye on htc-linux for new kernel updates and Ubuntu for HD2 for improvements and fixes.
    Have any beta version can download:confused:

My apologies to everyone for the delay in release.. I have a few more bugs to iron out mainly performance issues and i've expanded my own software to handle network mode notifications etc even further so it should be fully comprehensive. Im also looking into modifying sphone to work better on HD2, I've already revised the icon set so the ugly black and white network signal icons are now beautiful. I will release this as soon as I am happy it runs perfectly. A couple more days and you will have all my efforts to play with! Please anyone get in touch if you can host the download for me and I will send you a copy as soon as I am ready.

The wait is almost over!
    Pictures and Videos

New Pics, More to come soon...
    Hey have been aware of the imminent release of 4.6 for a while now unfortunately there is no build for armel due to compiler issues. That's a bit of a downer, I waited a few days to see if they got anywhere with it. . Guess ill stop waiting around and release what I have when I get home from work tonight.

Any news on this being released or has the project died?

It's almost the same every time. Great projects rise, there's support(money, devs, whatever) and GREAT interest and then it's dead. Shame, because theres a lot of people who can help, either with money or knowledge, just in order to make this work. Shame enthusiasm get cold really fast.