[ROM] [PORT] Ad Photon (discontinued)

Search This thread

Cotulla

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2007
Android / Linux port for PHOTON

Introduction:

HTC Photon looks very similar to HTC Liberty. It's not only external look, as well they are very similar.
My goals was to determine how fast it can be binged up on HTC PHOTON.

Actually they much more changes, that it looks at first view.
PHOTON doesn't have digital compass, while LIBERTY have it.
As well LIBERTY have optical trackball, PHOTON doesn't.

Notes about future development:

All GPIOs looks same in PHOTON & LIBERTY.
Only 192Mb RAM used for now. Additional RAM can be activated.
Battery driver doesn't work, heave difference between PHOTON & LIBERTY.
GSensor doesn't work, looks like it's problem of userspace android library.
Calls are working, data (GPRS) - not. It maybe big problem to implement DATA connection.
WLAN also not working somehow.
Buttons are working, but they need proper align. (buttons are part of touchscreen).

http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?title=PhotonStatus
"Unknown" means not tested. I had not enough time to test it well.
I didn't test anything really. Only just looks for "yes" / "no", no deep testing because not enough time.

Files to download:

for developers:
KERNEL + HARET sources.
Note this HARET only compatible with HTC PHOTON.
http://cotulla.pp.ru/photon/Cotulla_PHOTON_AD_Devs.rar

for users:
ANDROID which runs from SD card, without removing Windows Mobile.
Copy files to root of SD card and run "HARET_PHOTON7227.exe"
http://cotulla.pp.ru/photon/Cotulla_PHOTON_AD_Users.rar

NOTE about files. I will delete this files tomorrow or after tomorrow.
Please reupload them to different file share hostings. Otherwise it will cause too big traffic to my site. Sorry for that.

Disclaimer:

This product is free to use at your own risk. We take no
responsibility for any conflict, fault, or damage caused by
this unlocking procedure. No warranties, implied or otherwise, are given if you agree to use this product.
No problems were found while testing this product on several different devices, your experience may vary.
This software is free, but not open source.

DISCONTINUED:

I won't continue developing of Android/Linux for PHOTON. Why?

*Main goals of this project are passed. All stuffs was ported in about 5 days.

*I have not much free time to develop android for another device. (I am supporting several devices, they take a lot of time)

*It's rather useless? You can sold PHOTON and buy LIBERTY. With native android inside. With compass inside. With trackball inside. With same size and design like PHOTON.

*And main reason: My father's phone is broken. I will give him PHOTON :) So I won't have PHOTON device anymore. And can't develop for it.

*I hope you appreciate all this :)

Anyway goodluck in developing, a lot of work already done (the hardest part however...) ;)

-Cotulla

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
This is SO NICE!! I hope someone can pick up Android development now and we can get Android on our devices. And what you're saying about HTC Liberty, we can't buy it over here ;) So I had to buy HD Mini :p
Thank you so much!

PS: I still hope you'll get another Photon in the future :D

xicofixas

Feb 2, 2009
Here are some more links

Cotulla_PHOTON_AD_Devs.rar
w_ww.multiupload.com/5RGRYQYP2M

Cotulla_PHOTON_AD_Users.rar
w_ww.multiupload.com/JQV692NKNG

many many thanks, i hope other Devs pick this.

good luck with other projects

Reactions: thomasalva

Silver1987

Aug 22, 2010
i know its a little bit early but im so exciting because of this! :) did someone tried and tested it on the mini? maybe upp some screens ?! :) thanks again cotulla. Hope someone will finished his work :)

15MA1L

May 14, 2010
i know its a little bit early but im so exciting because of this! :) did someone tried and tested it on the mini? maybe upp some screens ?! :) thanks again cotulla. Hope someone will finished his work :)

Yes. I have tried
I can only tell a compliment to devolopment.
... a very polished look and work a little slower than wm (so far)
for 2 hours of testing a few times I had to put the sim card pin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 876
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,431
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 773
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 924
Last edited:

Silver1987

Aug 22, 2010
hm i tested it too and android working :) ..but i have a few questions...hm could it be that our (or my european device from germany) mini ist not fully working with ARIA rom? maybe we need Gratia rom ? im asking that because ehen i started booting first time i could only chose betwen 3 languages (and german or other European languages are not there). and the second thing is that it didnt find my SD-Card .. and i heard that aria only accept specific SD Cards`? is that right?

or is it possible to replace this aria(liberty) rom to an gratia rom? because we now have working haretfix `? thanks for the attention :) greetz silver :) sorry for my english :D

schlund

Nov 25, 2010
first off all:
THIS IS NOT A WORKING ANDROID!
please read first post for details.

haret does not give us the possibility to run complete "ROMS". we have to build kernels and android on our own. and as i can see there is no special gratia source on htc developers site, so i think there is no difference in hardware.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android / Linux port for PHOTON

Introduction:

HTC Photon looks very similar to HTC Liberty. It's not only external look, as well they are very similar.
    My goals was to determine how fast it can be binged up on HTC PHOTON.

Actually they much more changes, that it looks at first view.
    PHOTON doesn't have digital compass, while LIBERTY have it.
    As well LIBERTY have optical trackball, PHOTON doesn't.

Notes about future development:

All GPIOs looks same in PHOTON & LIBERTY.
    Only 192Mb RAM used for now. Additional RAM can be activated.
    Battery driver doesn't work, heave difference between PHOTON & LIBERTY.
    GSensor doesn't work, looks like it's problem of userspace android library.
    Calls are working, data (GPRS) - not. It maybe big problem to implement DATA connection.
    WLAN also not working somehow.
    Buttons are working, but they need proper align. (buttons are part of touchscreen).

http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?title=PhotonStatus
    "Unknown" means not tested. I had not enough time to test it well.
    I didn't test anything really. Only just looks for "yes" / "no", no deep testing because not enough time.

Files to download:

for developers:
    KERNEL + HARET sources.
    Note this HARET only compatible with HTC PHOTON.
    http://cotulla.pp.ru/photon/Cotulla_PHOTON_AD_Devs.rar

for users:
    ANDROID which runs from SD card, without removing Windows Mobile.
    Copy files to root of SD card and run "HARET_PHOTON7227.exe"
    http://cotulla.pp.ru/photon/Cotulla_PHOTON_AD_Users.rar

NOTE about files. I will delete this files tomorrow or after tomorrow.
    Please reupload them to different file share hostings. Otherwise it will cause too big traffic to my site. Sorry for that.

Disclaimer:

This product is free to use at your own risk. We take no
    responsibility for any conflict, fault, or damage caused by
    this unlocking procedure. No warranties, implied or otherwise, are given if you agree to use this product.
    No problems were found while testing this product on several different devices, your experience may vary.
    This software is free, but not open source.

DISCONTINUED:

I won't continue developing of Android/Linux for PHOTON. Why?

*Main goals of this project are passed. All stuffs was ported in about 5 days.

*I have not much free time to develop android for another device. (I am supporting several devices, they take a lot of time)

*It's rather useless? You can sold PHOTON and buy LIBERTY. With native android inside. With compass inside. With trackball inside. With same size and design like PHOTON.

*And main reason: My father's phone is broken. I will give him PHOTON :) So I won't have PHOTON device anymore. And can't develop for it.

*I hope you appreciate all this :)

Anyway goodluck in developing, a lot of work already done (the hardest part however...) ;)

-Cotulla
    Awesome job you did there Cotulla. I don't own a Photon myself but have been trying to help the guys in another thread with some hints to try and get HaRET working. It's unfortunate you can't continue development. But with your work maybe some other developers that have the Photon can make it fully functional. :)

I've mirrored the files here:
    http://netripper.com/photon/Cotulla_PHOTON_AD_Devs.rar
    http://netripper.com/photon/Cotulla_PHOTON_AD_Users.rar
    Thank you so much! This a VERY BIG STEP for us!

We will continue with your work :)
    guys.. this project is not finished,yet (as u can see on first page)
    if you download and use this without the intention to develope on it, accept the bugs as they are, PLEASE !!!!
    sorry silent_Eagle but my statement wasn't focused on you :)

in general: as long as there are some people working on it there is a chance to get this fully working

in our case: several people are very involved.

in my case: i am working on it nearly every day. linux embedded development is new to me. i do not want to show up every step i made, because i want and need! also others to work on this and i do not want them to wait for my work, because i do not know if i succeed!
    if i publish every single kernel or image people will never stop asking stupid questions on it.
    for example: 1 hour development = 10min working on code + 20 min compiling + 30 min answering forumposts and pm's :)

if you want to speed this up take the dev-files and do it! (seriously! this is the same what we did)