[ROM][2.2] »» Cognition 4.5.3 «« | The Original Captivate Rom

Search This thread

antonyvijai

Feb 14, 2011
chicago
I don't know if this is a bug from Cognition 4.1.1 but I can't find anywhere to save new contacts to Google instead of just the Phone. I can synchronize the contacts from Google to phone but not from Phone to Google.

Please help thanks!

I run the same cog 4.1.1 and.I am able to sync both ways! I don't think there is any bug. Something might have gone wrong with the flashing process. I am not an expert to guide you on this. Hopefully someone will give you a.solution to fix this. All the.best!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

Paralegal99

Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
SGS tools definately fixes the GPS problem. I loaded the JP9 fix from there and get locks in anywhere between 10 and 20 secs with 6-10 sats. Don't have the problem with the 3g signal.

I was running Cog 4.1 for a few weeks and was having some problems with getting a GPS lock. I ran the SGS tools GPS fix and that seemed to fix the problem...but now I can't keep a lock on my WiFi. It turns on briefly and then shuts down and the GSM kicks in. I turned off the GSM data..and again tried to switch on the WiFi...but it keeps turning off. I'm charging the phone to 100% and then going to flash Cog 4.1.1 and see if that can get me back to connecting to my WiFi. Additionally I checked the Wifi connection with my laptop and that is connecting fine. This only started after I implemented the SGS Tools GPS fix. Thought I would put that out there in case someone is planning on running the SGS Tools GPS fix...check your Wifi after the fact.

Paralegal99

cybercoaster

Jan 31, 2008
I had a version 3.x of Cognition, now loaded 4.1.1. When I go to applications I have to scroll right where as before I could roll through them from top to bottom. I could also load shortcuts on the bottom bar on the home screen. How do I enable that again? Was it a custom interface (not sure what its called, a noob here)

Thanks

Paralegal99

Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I had a version 3.x of Cognition, now loaded 4.1.1. When I go to applications I have to scroll right where as before I could roll through them from top to bottom. I could also load shortcuts on the bottom bar on the home screen. How do I enable that again? Was it a custom interface (not sure what its called, a noob here)

Thanks

I believe what you are looking for is Launcher Pro. I think it came standard in Cog 3.XX but DG seems to have made it an option with 4.xx. If it isn't on your phone, then download it from the Marketplace. You should be able to setup the 3d vertical apps gallery and the dock.

Hopes this helps you.

Paralegal99

Reactions: cybercoaster

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
I don't know if this is a bug from Cognition 4.1.1 but I can't find anywhere to save new contacts to Google instead of just the Phone. I can synchronize the contacts from Google to phone but not from Phone to Google.
There are discussions about this "no upbound sync" all over various boards. It is not unique to you. There are various workarounds posted that work but are not quick and easy--involve several steps. Do a search to find them.

This is a Samsung or Google or ATT failure of significant measure.

Paralegal99

Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I used this plumbBob GPS and is extraordinary good! ..7/7 satellites inside my house close to a window, and outside is like 11/11 and so on... just damn great...
make sure to follow the instructions... delete gps data, change supl settings, etc...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=957164

Thanks...I'll implement this when I get 4.1.1 flashed instead of using the SGS tools GPS fix.

Paralegal99

Beny The Kid

Nov 22, 2010
I run the same cog 4.1.1 and.I am able to sync both ways! I don't think there is any bug. Something might have gone wrong with the flashing process. I am not an expert to guide you on this. Hopefully someone will give you a.solution to fix this. All the.best!

Please help thanks!

I am sure you folks checked this out but on my COG 4.1.1 if you go into Contacts>MENU>MORE>SETTINGS it gives yout he option to pick where to default save your contacts (here selecting you google account has obviouse perks if you are going to keep flashing ROMS). If your contacts are saved to your phone or your SIM card, i don't believe they will Sync with google. Likewise, I don't believe that anything you change will be synced if the contact is saved on your phone or SIM.

veedub1991

Jul 24, 2010
Does someone have a different contacts.apk then the one that came with 4.1? Since i updated i dont have the option to export my contacts to SD.

wgarrido

Feb 22, 2007
Monterey, CA
www.mobilewill.us
I am sure you folks checked this out but on my COG 4.1.1 if you go into Contacts>MENU>MORE>SETTINGS it gives yout he option to pick where to default save your contacts (here selecting you google account has obviouse perks if you are going to keep flashing ROMS). If your contacts are saved to your phone or your SIM card, i don't believe they will Sync with google. Likewise, I don't believe that anything you change will be synced if the contact is saved on your phone or SIM.

Wow, huge thanks! I set it to Corporate. When I first got my Cappy and I synced Contacts it copied my corp contacts all to my google contacts :(. Need to clean all that up.

Ben74

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2006
i have come back to cognition after a long time on i9000 roms. the positive: the gps works better than it ever has for me. the negative: sometimes, the phone chooses to connect to a weaker tower, with only 1900mhz. it does this with all the i897 modems - KB1, JJ4, JI6. i normally get 4-5 bars in my apt, but when it connects to the weaker tower, i get 2-3 bars, and only 1900mhz, and very slow data. yes, i am looking at the cellID, and can clearly see when the phone is connected to the different cells. anyone else seeing this?

i have tried forcing 850mhz in the *#0011# menu, but i've read that i897 modems don't let you choose the band, and that's what i'm seeing. i get "RAT Selection Option is Restricted" when i try to set the band.

also, wifi range seems to be diminished slightly. i used to be able to just maintain a wifi connection in my bedroom, and now it goes in and out. do any of the wifi fixes (dxjpy, for instance) work with this rom? thanks.

jorge_moran_jams

Sep 2, 2010
Guayaquil

Please help thanks!

I thought so too, but if you open the contacts app, hit menu, select settings and then change the parameter save new contacts to Google... There you go

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
Flashed to stock then to Cog 4.1.1 again last night...had a random shut down today. Experienced the same thing several times last week or so ago when I first flashed 4.1.1--didn't have this happen on the 4.1--anyone else having this issue?

nelsonw

Jun 29, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Ok, this is a little off topic, but I'm clueless about how to fixit. I don't know how, but settings lost the default action, so when I go to Android's settings it asks to choose the default program. If I choose Go Launcher, for example, I lost access to settings.... how I revert to normal? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

mikegehl

Dec 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Ok, this is a little off topic, but I'm clueless about how to fixit. I don't know how, but settings lost the default action, so when I go to Android's settings it asks to choose the default program. If I choose Go Launcher, for example, I lost access to settings.... how I revert to normal? Thanks!

Settings - Applications - Manage Applications - Go Launcher - Clear Defaults

At least I think that's what you're asking. :)

Last edited:

nelsonw

Jun 29, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Settings - Applications - Manage Applications - Go Launcher - Clear Defaults

At least I think that's what you're asking. :)

Ok, when I do that, always I go to Menu-settings shows the "complete this action" popup asking to associate GO Launcher and then I lost access to Settings again. Can you check what appears on the defaults of Settings app? Menu-settings-applications-manage aplications-all-Settings.

Thanks!

ouija147

Dec 28, 2010
Ok, when I do that, always I go to Menu-settings shows the "complete this action" popup asking to associate GO Launcher and then I lost access to Settings again. Can you check what appears on the defaults of Settings app? Menu-settings-applications-manage aplications-all-Settings.

Thanks!

Menu-settings-applications-manage aplications-all-Settings

Sort by size

on cog 4.1.1 with launcher pro plus not sure what you should have with Go Launcher?

Last edited:

Psychosis5150

Dec 28, 2010
Flashed to stock then to Cog 4.1.1 again last night...had a random shut down today. Experienced the same thing several times last week or so ago when I first flashed 4.1.1--didn't have this happen on the 4.1--anyone else having this issue?

Same here. I turned Wifi sleep policy to "When screen turns off" and that seems to have fixed it for now. The odd thing is my phone would shut off whether wifi was on or off at the time and usually when over 60% charge.

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

cybercoaster

Jan 31, 2008

You may be running in to the Captivate issue. Mine did it on random ROMS I had loaded and then I found the thread about an issue with the hardware. AT&T was replacing them. In the mean time, I used Load Monitor. It stopped my random shutdowns. http://www.droidtips.info/samsung-2/samsung-captivate-shut-down-fix.html

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    COG4-Thread-Header-LG-noReflection.png

Cognition Chat on FreeNode.net

Rom features

Based on I897UCKB1
    Rooted, deodexed, zipaligned
    CogKernel 4.1:
    -KB1 based
    -Voodoo Sound v9
    -Voodoo Lagfix
    -Voodoo Color
    -Updated Jhash3
    -BLN v7
    -Lowmemorykiller patched
    -BFQ scheduler (CFQ default)
    -SIO Scheduler (Simple IO Scheduler)
    -EXT4 Updates
    -TinyRCU
    -TUN/CIFS Support

Mods, Fixes, Additions:
    -Hardened against ads, anonymous stats collection, malware, etc...
    -Multi-Lock (5 lock screens)
    -Touchwiz Launcher fixed (smooooth)
    -Custom launcher layout
    -SGSII wallpapers and sounds
    -Extended power options
    -Accurate battery
    -init.d support
    -PlumbBob GPS Fix v1 GLOBAL
    -Tethering Enabled
    -Enabled HSPA Icon (Does not replace 3g symbol, displays H when using HSPA)
    -Fugutweaks
    -Voodoo control app
    -/system and rootfs mount as rw
    -Voice Dialing (wired, handset, bluetooth)
    -Gallery Fix (no battery drain)

Removed:
    -Samsung apps
    -AT&T apps
    -Messages from call log and sorting options
    -Power options header
    -PhoneSetupWizard
    -Battery Full Notification

Settings:
    -Boot sound optional
    -Boot animation customizable (disables boot sound)
    -Haptic feedback enabled
    -Lockscreen sounds enabled
    -Sideloading enabled
    -Default_wallpaper in framework
    -AM/PM Toggle (Settings>Date & Time)
    -Stay Awake option (Settings>Applications>Development)

Cognition v4.5.3 Changelog: (6/5/2011)
    Revert Bionic (breaking wifi and some video playback)
    Installer Script Changes:
    -Remove wifi settings on upgrade (some cannot connect without clearing after upgrade)
    -Clean out other useless files (faster backup/restore)

Cognition v4.5.2 Changelog: (6/5/2011)
    Speed Optimizations:
    -Bionic 1.1 (optimized libc.so)
    Install script fix (commands not found on some recoveries due to improper path)
    RagePatch (just incase)
    Reboot to recovery from Rom Manager fix
    Added Bln Control app to Cog Apps Installer
    Junk files clean up

Full Log: http://designgears.github.com/cognition/log.txt

Reset your ringtone and notification sounds after updating!! They might be set to silent or something totally random.
    Make sure you backup either with Titanium Backup or Backup from recovery before flashing. Sometimes the update process will cause forecloses and/or bootloops and it is impossible for me to detect every scenario in which that might happen.

Download Cognition
    http://db.tt/kHOuJATB

Known Issues
    Cannot link notification and ringtone volume
    No birthdays syncing in contacts from corporate email
    No lock screen when on call (puzzle unlock only)
    To get back to Auto network mode from 2G(gsm) you need to enable 3G(wcdma), then enable auto

Troubleshooting
    Voice search won't search contacts? (fix)
    No birthdays syncing with calendar from contacts? (fix)
    LbsTestMode settings must be manually updated as well
    SUPL/CP Settings:
    Server FQDN = Custom Config
    Server: supl.google.com
    Server Port: 7276
    SUPL Secure Socket = ON
    AGPS Mode = SUPL
    Application Settings: Tracking
    S/W Test
    MS Based
    Hot Start
    GPS Plus = On
    Dyn accuracy = on
    Accuracy = 40
    GPS logging = off

Credits:
    Supercurio
    adamholden85
    gicuenitro
    eXistZ
    darkyy
    whitehawkx
    cyanogen

It is pretty self explanatory as far as updating / installing 4.21. In all four cases, mentioned below, use the recovery menu to install the zip you choose using the 'Install zip from SDCard' option (do not use Rom Managers GUI).

IF YOU ARE ON 4.2 right now and you DONT want overclocking, install the non OC patch (labeled in bold as "Kernel Only / Update from 4.2 Only (Non-Overclocked)". Use the CWM version which is the top most link under the bolded text.

IF YOU ARE ON 4.2 right now and you WANT overclocking, install the OC patch (labeled in bold as "Kernel Only (Overclocked)". Use the CWM version which is the top most link under the bolded text.

IF YOU ARE NOT ON 4.2 (earlier version of Cog, coming from a different rom or stock) and you DONT want overclocking, use the full rom (labeled in bold as "Full Rom (Non-Overclocked)". Use the CWM version which is the top most link under the bolded text.

IF YOU ARE NOT ON 4.2 (earlier version of Cog, coming from a different rom or stock) and you WANT overclocking, use the full rom (labeled in bold as "Full Rom (Overclocked)". Use the CWM version which is the top most link under the bolded text.

Make sure all your contacts are synced with Google and any data on your phone (pictures, movies, music, documents, etc.) is backed up OFF THE PHONE (ie. not in contact with the phone - DONT keep it on the external sd card and leave the sdcard in place when you flash - just to be safe, remove the external sd card if you are using one).

If you are on stock, you need to root, install Rom Manager, Titanium Backup, do a nandroid backup of your phone, do a Tit backup of your apps, use Odin to restore to JI6 stock, reroot, re-install Rom Manager and Clockwork Recovery and use the recovery menu to install the zip you downloaded. This is a very brief summary and there are more detailed instructions available elsewhere.

If you are already running Cognition or other custom rom, make sure all your apps are backed up using Titanium Backup (or other preferred app backup tool). Then, make sure you have Rom Managers clockwork recovery installed on your phone (or if you are already running Cognition, do NOT reflash clockwork recovery as Cognition uses its own custom recovery menu - from my understanding anyway). Reboot your phone into Recovery mode and use the 'Install zip from SD card' option. The rom will automatically wipe the phone memory and cache. Once it is complete (you are back at the Recovery menu and able to move around the menu), use the 'Go Back' option at the bottom of the list, hit the power button, then scroll down to 'Reboot Phone Now' and hit the power button again.

If all went well, it will boot up into Cog.
    Cognition 4.4 is now LIVE!
    changelog in the op; check out the ads, buy me a beer or chipin! (if you want to)
    This is the moment you have all been waiting for...

Cognition v4.2 is now LIVE!
    (changelog in the op, enjoy the oc/uv, click the **** outta those ads! :D)
    might have found the issue, thinking it may be the audience chip config causing the dialer to do strange stuff. I think it just gets compiled with enabling it in the config, and doing what I did enables other stuff not needed on the captivate. Not sure yet tho, I will be testing the kernel thru the day and check voice quality to make sure the chip is enabled and not causing problems.