Question How to repair corrupted sd card?

Search This thread

heliosismagic

Mar 9, 2007
don t format in the name of GOD!!!

Please all keep in mind>>>> drive recovery pro is a nice solution,but formatting a hard drive is ok,and important.NOT A SD CARD!!!The continous files are different from the usual hard drive files!!
NO NEED FORMATTING!!!
In fact>>formatting an SD card lower the life time of the card with a good year or more!!Anyhow they made to survive only around two years!!!
The continous upload and erase sssions are killing the SD card.BUT FORMATTING IS TH BIGGEST KILLER.Check the experts,what they say???

Corrupted cards can be deffected from factory as wel,but drive check and restore is the best.The sectors are damaged,and not the fragmantation....

helios

Brian 500

Jul 8, 2009
Repairing a corrupted SD card.

DriveRestore Professional will not re-format a corrupted SD card. Formatting is NOT recommended as formatting will erase all the data on the SD card. DriveRestore Professional will analyse the boot sector (that ALL drives have e.g. FAT16 and FAT32 file systems on an SD card), it will detect errors in the boot sector and then repair the errors. When the card is repaired, ALL the files will be accessible and the card is fully repaired.

mr_deimos

Nov 22, 2007
Sometimes the filesystem on the card gets corrupted. It can happen for example if the card was ejected while a file operation on it was in progress. When that happens you might have trouble accessing some of the files, loading times for some directories in file explorer may be very slow.
You can attempt to fix it using the desktop windows' built-in chkdsk utility.
Open up command prompt (start->run->cmd.exe) and type
chkdsk /X /F <SD card drive letter>
My SD card reader is X:\ drive, so i wold use the following command:
chkdsk /X /F X:
SD card reader is recommended, but probably not necessary because it should also work with WinMo's built-in USB mass storage function or wm5torage.

Under linux you can check/fix the card's filesysterm and in some cases undelete a file using fsck.vfat or dosfsck (single tool, two possible names). Refer to its help for more details.

oluwaponmile

Dec 19, 2007
Sometimes the filesystem on the card gets corrupted. It can happen for example if the card was ejected while a file operation on it was in progress. When that happens you might have trouble accessing some of the files, loading times for some directories in file explorer may be very slow.
chkdsk /X /F X:
SD card reader is recommended, but probably not necessary because it should also work with WinMo's built-in USB mass storage function or wm5torage.

Under linux you can check/fix the card's filesysterm and in some cases undelete a file using fsck.vfat or dosfsck (single tool, two possible names). Refer to its help for more details.

Thank you man, you are a life saver.....

namila007

Jan 4, 2011
kurunegala
OnePlus 9
chkdsk /X /F X:

wow..thankz :D :D

mthe0ry

Feb 13, 2011
I only recently became a (sort of) expert on this as I had a corrupted NTFS bootable partition on my macbook pro with a messed up Master File Table. Man, that was a nightmare.

Anyway, the answer to this question varies greatly depending on the filesystem and the type of corruption you have. Standard Chkdsk might work (the windows utility) although I admit I have no idea how well that works on flash removable media.

Other good options are TestDisk, and there are some other free options out there.

Depending on how important your data is to you and how severe the corruption is you may need to go with a paid application. This is what I had to do because Master File Table corruptions in NTFS are particularly nasty (although some versions of them can be corrected by TestDisk). I recommend GetDataBack which worked great for me.

In any case, try TestDisk out because its a very powerful tool and it is totally free. Read up on the documentation before playing around with it though, because you can cause irreparable damage to any one of your disks if you don't know what you are doing. Ideally make an image of your card using dd (built in linux utility, just type 'man dd' at the cmd line) before attempting to fix it so you can't do anything you can't undo.

Last edited:

MIR MOHIB

Mar 21, 2011
hey i formatted my card using card studio in qtek 9100 it formatted 100 % but when i attached it on the card reader then to PC! PC doesn't show this cardddddd help meeee

Omnichron

Dec 1, 2010
East Highland, CA
Instructions
things you'll need:

* SD Card
* Computer
* Internet Connection

If your aim is to repair a corrupted SD card so that you can use it to store files then proceed to step #2.
If your aim is to recover the files on the SD card without erasing them, proceed to step #5.

Insert the SD card into a digital camera card slot and choose to format your card. If this doesn't work then move on to the next step...

Place the SD card into your computers SD card slot.
Right click on the SD card drive letter IF it appears and choose to "format."
If this doesn't work, proceed to the next step...

www.sdcard.org
You will need to go to the website
http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/eula/
Here you will download, install, and run the program to format your SD card. This is the most advanced step of the three, but most likely to work 99% of the time.

www.cgsecurity.org

If you want to recover files ON your SD without erasing them, then you need to download and run the software on this site.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
This is the best free software available for this type of problem.

:D

winsettr

Oct 26, 2010
chkdsk /X /F X:

Thank you for this, saved my uSD card after flashing a kernel messed it up!

lionpl

Apr 19, 2011
On Linux you can try dd_rescue. It creates copy like normal dd but it does not abort on errors.
Copy card to file and then mount this file like drive

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    chkdsk /X /F X:

Instructions
    things you'll need:

* SD Card
    * Computer
    * Internet Connection

If your aim is to repair a corrupted SD card so that you can use it to store files then proceed to step #2.
    If your aim is to recover the files on the SD card without erasing them, proceed to step #5.

Insert the SD card into a digital camera card slot and choose to format your card. If this doesn't work then move on to the next step...

Place the SD card into your computers SD card slot.
    Right click on the SD card drive letter IF it appears and choose to "format."
    If this doesn't work, proceed to the next step...

www.sdcard.org
    You will need to go to the website
    http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/eula/
    Here you will download, install, and run the program to format your SD card. This is the most advanced step of the three, but most likely to work 99% of the time.

www.cgsecurity.org

If you want to recover files ON your SD without erasing them, then you need to download and run the software on this site.
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
    This is the best free software available for this type of problem.

:D
    don t format in the name of GOD!!!

Please all keep in mind>>>> drive recovery pro is a nice solution,but formatting a hard drive is ok,and important.NOT A SD CARD!!!The continous files are different from the usual hard drive files!!
    NO NEED FORMATTING!!!
    In fact>>formatting an SD card lower the life time of the card with a good year or more!!Anyhow they made to survive only around two years!!!
    The continous upload and erase sssions are killing the SD card.BUT FORMATTING IS TH BIGGEST KILLER.Check the experts,what they say???

Corrupted cards can be deffected from factory as wel,but drive check and restore is the best.The sectors are damaged,and not the fragmantation....

helios
    chkdsk /X /F X:

Thank you man, you are a life saver.....
    Repairing a corrupted SD card.

DriveRestore Professional will not re-format a corrupted SD card. Formatting is NOT recommended as formatting will erase all the data on the SD card. DriveRestore Professional will analyse the boot sector (that ALL drives have e.g. FAT16 and FAT32 file systems on an SD card), it will detect errors in the boot sector and then repair the errors. When the card is repaired, ALL the files will be accessible and the card is fully repaired.