[PRJ] Improve Bluetooth in Car

Search This thread

Wisefire

Feb 8, 2009
Lubbock, TX
I used to have the drop out problem with my Kenwood BT200. I had to repair every time I got in the car. I recently upgraded to CM7 with 2.3.3 and then switched to MIUI 2.3.3 and both work flawlessly. I'm assuming the updated Bluetooth stack resolved my issue.

Tratas88

Aug 15, 2008
Using my Nexus One (CM7 RC4) with a new Mercedes E-Class and the builtin "Command" System and a very recent Volkswagen Golf with original Bluetooth Audio, both working perfectly. In the Golf it isnt possible to skip titles, but the basic speech and music functions work on both cars.

scotte9999

Feb 22, 2008
San Diego
intrepid.warped.com
i think thats exactly what my problem is, when the phone is connected to the car and the music gateway is connected as well i get the intermittent connection and it skips every so often but if i disconnect the phone part then the music never skips...however im not on CM7 so i dont know if that fix applies to me and i dont know how to begin changing those settings :confused:

It does apply to CM7 (although likely to CM6 as well, but CM6 may have had the Master=true default already).

You can use Root Explorer or ADB to replace /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf with the file attached. (Then reboot to have it take effect).

Attachments

• audio.zip
    774 bytes · Views: 433
Last edited:

d1mitrov

Feb 19, 2010
ok so i checked that file and the only thing different in it and the one i had was #MaxConnections was set to 1 in mine and 3 in the one you gave me, so i changed that and also mine said #Switch to master role for incoming connections (defaults to true) and the one you gave me said #Do not require master role for incoming connections so i changed that as well and i still have the same problem :/
I dont know if i did it right cuz i couldnt figure out how to replace the whole file so i just edited whatever was different

ianken

Jun 15, 2007
Redmond
The audio.conf attached above seems to have done it for me. I made the same edits myself and pushed it via adb but it didn't work, and thats pretty odd. This one I pushed down via root explorer.

With my luck the hands free will fail now...

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

elfblackdeath

Jun 28, 2009
It does apply to CM7 (although likely to CM6 as well, but CM6 may have had the Master=true default already).

You can use Root Explorer or ADB to replace /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf with the file attached. (Then reboot to have it take effect).

Im going to push it today and update if this solves my skip issue. Also any idea when this will be pushed to the CM nightly?

Update: fixed my problem. thank you!

Last edited:

scotte9999

Feb 22, 2008
San Diego
intrepid.warped.com
Glad it helped!

I've submitted the change to CM via Gerrit, but it needs a reviewer and approver before it can get committed. If you want to find folks on IRC or the forums and lobby to get it committed, that would help. :)

Basil 123

Nov 30, 2010
albasil.com
since updating to CM7 RC4 my parrot handsfree has become unuseable - I can hear others but they cant hear me.

Will try this change and see if it fixes things. Thanks!

knightnz

Dec 12, 2009
Wellington
The problem I have with my bluetooth is that if I have the phone connected and then turn the ignition on, the head unit drops out for a fraction of a second and more often than not the phone won't then reconnect to it afterwards unless I take it out of the dock, wait for it to turn bluetooth off, then put it back in.

Any way to get the phone to reconnect short of buying a new car with a better electrical system? :)

It's a Sony MEX-something headunit.

grkn

Sep 20, 2006
Hi, I made those changes running CM 7.0.3 on the inspire and trying to connect it to a Belkin bluetooth receiver which my laptop auto connects to just fine.

What I found is that the phone will auto connect in turning bluetooth on from an off state, is there any way to make it connect with bluetooth constantly on?

The workaround im currently using is using tasker to start bluetooth when I launch my audio apps, and to shut it down when I close them.

Cheers!

knightnz

Dec 12, 2009
Wellington
Hi, I made those changes running CM 7.0.3 on the inspire and trying to connect it to a Belkin bluetooth receiver which my laptop auto connects to just fine.

What I found is that the phone will auto connect in turning bluetooth on from an off state, is there any way to make it connect with bluetooth constantly on?

The workaround im currently using is using tasker to start bluetooth when I launch my audio apps, and to shut it down when I close them.

Cheers!

There should be a line "AutoConnect=true" in the audio.conf file, make sure this is enabled and set to "true" and if you're lucky then the bluetooth device will try and auto-connect to either the A2DP or HFP/HSP connection which will cause the phone to try and reconnect both connections.

This magic modification has made my Panasonic bluetooth adaptor work like a charm. It will automatically search for the last connected handsfree device (my N1) and when it reconnects to that as soon as I turn the power on, the N1 will try and reconnect the A2DP connection as well. I've set PowerAmp to automatically pause/resume on disconnect/connect and I've got a bluetooth toggle button on my homescreen, and the "Car Home" app set to autolaunch when a connection to the Panasonic unit is initiated.

So, all I do, is turn the car ignition on, enable bluetooth and wait for a few seconds. The headunit connects to the handsfree which causes the A2DP to auto-connect back to the headunit, then Car Home launches, then PowerAmp kicks in and starts playing.

I've got a tasker script to disable bluetooth automatically once Car Home quits which I've set to happen after 10 seconds of the connection being gone.

It all works flawlessly, very pleased!

Now, we just have to convince the CyanogenMod team to make these mods standard rather than the dopey default settings.

grkn

Sep 20, 2006
That's not as automatic as I'd want, I want to make the connection happen without having to enable bluetooth.

My current workaround is a tasker script that enables bluetooth when I start and audio player (it then auto connects), and disables it a while after I shut the player down. It's smooth enough, but not perfect.

knightnz

Dec 12, 2009
Wellington
That's not as automatic as I'd want, I want to make the connection happen without having to enable bluetooth.

My current workaround is a tasker script that enables bluetooth when I start and audio player (it then auto connects), and disables it a while after I shut the player down. It's smooth enough, but not perfect.

If I leave bluetooth on all the time, then all I need to do is turn the ignition on, and off it goes after about 10 seconds once the headunit & BT module sort themselves out. I've only got the on/off setting on the homescreen to save power as I don't use bluetooth otherwise.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i think thats exactly what my problem is, when the phone is connected to the car and the music gateway is connected as well i get the intermittent connection and it skips every so often but if i disconnect the phone part then the music never skips...however im not on CM7 so i dont know if that fix applies to me and i dont know how to begin changing those settings :confused:

Interesting.

To be clear, you have Master=True, HFP=true, and MaxConnections=3 ?

Specifically, the Master=True is what lets my Kenwood head-unit stream w/o skipping. Hmm.

Did you see any negative effects from making that change?
    Update file for CM7

For those of you who are having a hard time (or are just too lazy!) updating your bluetooth audio.conf file manually, the attached update.zip will do it for you (and back up your old one). Flash using CWM, Rom Manager, or whatever you normally do to install system updates (it's just a trivial Edify script).

Hopefully somebody will find this of use.

(For the record, I have been way too lazy to get the changes pushed back to AOSP where they belong, so this is my consolation attempt with the community...)

ScottE