[KERNEL] CM7/AOSP/RG Custom Smartass Kernel {6-2-2011} SLAB-BFQ *OC->1.8GHz* ckisgen

Search This thread

ckisgen

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 7, 2007
raleigh, NC
[KERNEL] CM7/AOSP/RG Custom Smartass Kernel {6-2-2011} SLAB-BFQ *OC->1.8GHz* ckisgen

this kernel is compatible with

----=----
CM7 (all RCs & Nightly Builds), RoyalGinger, 2.3.x AOSP ROMs
----=----

DO NOT try and flash this kernel on anything other than 2.3.x based ROMs (namely the ones listed above)

FRO-YO = NO-GO

special thanks to: Zinx, Cyan, dumbfuq, Faux123, RoyalKnight6190, all of TeamRoyal, Erasmux & Katy Perry

---------

Fellow Flash Fanatics : I have had this idea brewing for a little while and decided to finally turn it into a reality to bundle with my (then) impending v2.0 release of RoyalGinger. This kernel is compiled originally from Zinx's latest CM7 stock kernel source with some additional inspiration and code from dumbfuq's smartass governor config. I then hammered out about a dozen initial test builds with various configurations and tweaks in order to come up with my initial v1.0.

Hot off the compiler/doughnut maker is v1.1b , which incorporated several minor and a couple of not-as-minor evolutions. This is still only the second build of this project with many more releases and updates to follow!

Please enjoy :D

---------

TeamRoyal has made the move to affiliate with The Android Creative Syndicate and their deep network of well respected developers. Beginning immediately, our project details (download links, changelogs, etc) can be found HERE at the ACS forums.

* NOTE - for any support on this and all of TeamRoyals ROMs, Kernels, and Themes - you will need to follow the link to our ACS Forum pages and find us there. Feel free to continue to use XDA to discuss these projects amongst yourselves and help each other out!

---------

Notes & Thoughts:

I'm going for a relatively simple and straight forward approach with this kernel that provides a little more emphasis & focus on performance in the mid/mid-upper range freq's. In other words, I am not concerned at this point with helping you 'race' your buddies in benchmarking scores and killing your battery in 25 mins flat.

I am spending my energy concentrating on the most snap/responsiveness and bang for the buck under normal 'daily driving' conditions. Battery performance is definitely a serious priority as well. But not at the cost of (real world) performance or stability.

I personally use the default 1.1GHz MAX / 245Hz MIN setting. I recommend sticking with the smartass gov for now. That's one reason v1.1 is still in beta .. the new min/max gov needs a little massaging and sweet talkin', though is still plenty usable. I'm still dialing several things in and I also plan to start updating drivers in the next releases so it's only up from here ladies n gents.

Last edited:

XxKOLOHExX

Aug 23, 2009
Hawaii
Nice job :D

Just want to make sure that this is compatible with the Mysense 2.3.3 roms right? Cause in the op it says Gingerbread Sense, But I thought it was nearly impossible to edit a kernel alot because there was no source? Just want to make sure before flashing :D

Again nice job :D

EDIT : Nvm it doesn't lol glad I backed up, But still awesome to have another kernel developer :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ckisgen

ckisgen

Sep 7, 2007
raleigh, NC
That's obviously a Gingerbread Sense ROM, so I wonder why it didn't work.

I was thinking about trying this kernel on Virtuous Fusion.

sorry guys. edited OP. I have a test build of an updated linux version that should work with GB Sense. I had already pretyped some of the OP when I thought I'd have it merged in with my main trunk in time for the forum release. but that didn't happen and I forgot to take that part down from compatible ROMs.

I hope to have a GB Sense compatible version up soon, but this is a serious task. Nothing like a good challenge.

it's currently 2.6.32.28

Sent from my RoyalGingerlicious Glacier using XDA App

Last edited:
Reactions: lilchip85

ckisgen

Sep 7, 2007
raleigh, NC
Will this kernel fix the screen wake issue or should i stick with dumfuq's?

yes , it should. both of our kernels are originally sourced from zinxs kernel. but last I checked, his was based from a slightly older version so I've got a couple newer patches and I've done a few other things that I believe will help with both battery life and responsiveness.

let me also say dumbfuqs kernels are awesome.

all I would say is give it a try and see what works best for you and your setup.

but in regards to the freezing/upsidedown issue, my tester who's phone suffers the same condition on occasion has been unable to get his to lock up since flashing my kernel.

in that vein, I'll also add that one of the other reasons that I made this kernel was because I started suffering from some uber frustrating keyboard freezes where at least a couple / few times a day one of the keys would get frozen where no matter what you did you couldn't press that particular key for about 3-5 seconds or more....I haven't experienced a single instance of this on this kernel.

also, one of my other testers was never able to overclock past 1.7 before without his phone freezing. he tested this version 1.1 a couple of days ago and was able to max out all the way to 1.8GHz and bench for a while without a single freeze.

lastly, when I got up this morning ..this kernel had made me Maine wild blueberry pancakes with hot Vermont maple syrup and eggs over medium. it had even ironed my clothes for the day.

win

Last edited:

Christopher3712

Oct 2, 2007
Google Pixel 6 Pro
lastly, when I got up this morning ..this kernel had made me Maine wild blueberry pancakes with hot Vermont maple syrup and eggs over medium. it had even ironed my clothes for the day.

win

You're. Just. Retarded. Lol, great work. I look forward to your GB Sense Kernels! I kinda took a break from CM7 to test out Virtuous.

boardopboy

Feb 16, 2011
Cleveland

One little bug I've noticed in this kernel since flashing from the RG2.0 thread last night... when I woke up this morning, it had slightly burned my toast. I dunno, maybe I have it cranked up too fast. Before bed tonight I'll bring it down to the 1.4 range and see if my toast is better tomorrow. I should also note, The waffles were perfect.

Dude, you rock. Quickly climbing up my list of go to devs. Thanks for the great work!

Last edited:

lanternslight456

Jan 14, 2011
www.androidinsomnia.com
During testing before release I was able to run an SNES emulator for over an hour with the Conservative gov and set to 245low/368high. Same with an android game with high graphics demand. It wasn't perfect but it was pretty decent. Definatly playable. Win.

Did I mention that using those settings it benchmarked better than my stock Samsung captivate? Win.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

this kernel is compatible with

----=----
    CM7 (all RCs & Nightly Builds), RoyalGinger, 2.3.x AOSP ROMs
    ----=----

DO NOT try and flash this kernel on anything other than 2.3.x based ROMs (namely the ones listed above)

FRO-YO = NO-GO

special thanks to: Zinx, Cyan, dumbfuq, Faux123, RoyalKnight6190, all of TeamRoyal, Erasmux & Katy Perry

---------

Fellow Flash Fanatics : I have had this idea brewing for a little while and decided to finally turn it into a reality to bundle with my (then) impending v2.0 release of RoyalGinger. This kernel is compiled originally from Zinx's latest CM7 stock kernel source with some additional inspiration and code from dumbfuq's smartass governor config. I then hammered out about a dozen initial test builds with various configurations and tweaks in order to come up with my initial v1.0.

Hot off the compiler/doughnut maker is v1.1b , which incorporated several minor and a couple of not-as-minor evolutions. This is still only the second build of this project with many more releases and updates to follow!

Please enjoy :D

---------

TeamRoyal has made the move to affiliate with The Android Creative Syndicate and their deep network of well respected developers. Beginning immediately, our project details (download links, changelogs, etc) can be found HERE at the ACS forums.

* NOTE - for any support on this and all of TeamRoyals ROMs, Kernels, and Themes - you will need to follow the link to our ACS Forum pages and find us there. Feel free to continue to use XDA to discuss these projects amongst yourselves and help each other out!

---------

Notes & Thoughts:

I'm going for a relatively simple and straight forward approach with this kernel that provides a little more emphasis & focus on performance in the mid/mid-upper range freq's. In other words, I am not concerned at this point with helping you 'race' your buddies in benchmarking scores and killing your battery in 25 mins flat.

I am spending my energy concentrating on the most snap/responsiveness and bang for the buck under normal 'daily driving' conditions. Battery performance is definitely a serious priority as well. But not at the cost of (real world) performance or stability.

I personally use the default 1.1GHz MAX / 245Hz MIN setting. I recommend sticking with the smartass gov for now. That's one reason v1.1 is still in beta .. the new min/max gov needs a little massaging and sweet talkin', though is still plenty usable. I'm still dialing several things in and I also plan to start updating drivers in the next releases so it's only up from here ladies n gents.
    reserved
    Thanks, just had to move the file from the 'downloads' folder to the root of the sd card but it worked like normal. Can you do this with roms to? I always see people saying you need a mirror to download from your phone..

Sent from my Royal Ginger powered Glacier

sure you can. now I prefer to download major things like ROMs from my comp and then transfer and flash when possible. just seems to be a little less prone to wonkisms (tho prob rare) but if you're somewhere without a comp and a good connection I wouldn't think twice before you download and flash something you can't wait to get your hands on.

Sent from my Gingerlicious Glacier using XDA App
    I'll probably release v1.4 tomorrow .. get your flashing fingers ready

Sent from my Gingerlicious Glacier using XDA App
    though i'm probably one of the more vocal proponents on the whole ' you need to wait a few days before judging battery performance on new kernel or ROM ' .. it's usually WORSE the first day or two. i don't believe i've ever seen it better the first day.

so i attached my screenies of my battery towards the end of the eve last night .. the day of flash.

started on a full charge .. and I actually hit it fairly hard for testing purposes (prob not SUPER hard relative to you 3d gamers/other CPU intensive app people but for normal everyday use conditions, it was fairly serious)

nearly 19 hours and still 20% left .. 3 hrs 37 min display on time (all at auto brightness)

i could have easily gotten 24+ hours out of that charge but yknow .. 4:45am rolls around with your alarm going off at 8am and i decided to throw in the towel on that experiment :D