Cyanogenmod 7 - Nightly builds starting!

Search This thread

Darius_bd

Aug 27, 2010
Santiago + Gdynia
Thanks, but based on his comment;
"it is indeed the smartass
frown.gif
(at least for the latest kernel it would never scale back when sleeping, my mistke one extra zero i had in the settings) "

that's not going to fix the inherent fact that during Screen Off mode, Smartass will eventually put the phone into "Deep Sleep" mode, despite the fact that a background task has the CPU running at 30-50% of max clock. The result in this case is usually hung and/or crashed tasks.

While the Smartass gov works very well in most Screen On situations, it's inability to adapt to what's happening in the background during the Screen Off mode, leaves me wanting to rename it the DUMBASS governor.

But it's a inherent error with the Smartass governor itself or just kernel-specific?

So, in the end, Interactive would be the better governor?

And my ticks says the phone it's been 73% of the time in deep sleep but I still heard the email notifications from time to time. Yes, not always, sometimes it went into a really-deep sleep (so to say) so it's not like something totally reproducible...

dandrumheller

Jul 10, 2010
Southern Maine / Seacoast NH
so pretty much scrap smartass?
it was just experimentation on my part
i do not know enough to fix problems such as this, i just looked at commits and tried to cherry pifck them into our kernel
and the kernel i was referring to was 7-6 as i changed sleep max to 2457600 instead of 245760 so it would never sleep

I for one would prefer you keep the smartass governor in your kernels. When not running cpu intensive tasks with screen off, it seems to provide the best balance of performance and battery life.

Like cHarley, I run into problems with it when running media in the background - typically for me this involves streaming pandora in my car - it will start to stutter the music, or kill pandora all together. My simple solution is to switch to ondemand when doing this. I haven't had time to investigate, but I think tasker may be able to automate this swap, or at least allow me to create a widget to toggle between the two governors. Anyone tried this??

At any rate, I have been running CM7.0.3 with your 7-5 kernel for quite a few days now. Up until today I had been seeing about 6-7% battery drain per hour with a mix of wifi/3g with background data on all the time. Today, however, I've had the phone on for 9.5 hours, and am still at 67% battery, so this is giving me roughly a 3.5% burn per hour. The only other time i have gotten this good a battery life is on the first few CM7 nightlies. I don't know if this is just a random case, or the battery stats are settling in, or what. I will continue to monitor, but loving it right now.

So count me as one vote for keeping smartass! what does it hurt to have it in there - doesn't stop anyone from using ondemand or interactive or whatever...

DD

Reactions: drowningchild
E

E.Cadro

I agree keep smartass in the kernel, I have been using n66 with drowning 7.5 for almost a week now and have had the best battery life since owning the phone. I have an active sync account set to push and the Gmail app and I can't recall ever missing an email alert in fact most of the time when sitting at my desk the email hits my phone before my PC. I say if you don't like it don't use it to each his own.

Sent from my Liberty using XDA Premium App

cHarley04

Dec 21, 2010
FloriDuh
so pretty much scrap smartass?
it was just experimentation on my part
i do not know enough to fix problems such as this, i just looked at commits and tried to cherry pifck them into our kernel
and the kernel i was referring to was 7-6 as i changed sleep max to 2457600 instead of 245760 so it would never sleep

Let's no give up too quick, in all fairness, I haven't tried 7-6 yet. Smartass shines during Screen On use. It also shines in conserving battery during Screen Off times (in most cases).

It's downfall, is it's inability to recognize and adapt to CPU load when in the Screen Off mode. It just seems to assume that if the screen is off, nothing is going on, so it's OK to go to sleep.

My situation may be different than most people in that I spend 2 or 3 days a week using the phone (screen off) all day long, streaming music to a BT headset and the phone in "standby" awaiting a (potential) incoming phone call, nothing more.
I'm busy riding a motorcycle during these times, and if it's not for the fact that the Aria's screen is next to impossible to read in direct sunlight, I'm too busy avoiding the idiots that are texting while driving, too have any use for data services. ;)

So, here's my current (workaround) solution to Smartass' limitations.
1 - I'm running Smartass 245-806 as default.
2 - I'm using Tasker.apk to monitor my Bluetooth status, and when active, overriding the governor to - On Demand 245-768.
(BT is always on when I'm using the phone Screen Off and easy to monitor.)

This is working out OK for me now, but it leaves me wondering, for example, how many people use their Aria unplugged (screen off) as an alarm clock, and how many of them have been late for work because the Smartass Deep Sleep mode stopped the alarm clock from activating? That's just one of the potential problems I foresee when the phone enters Deep Sleep and is unable to respond to upcoming CPU demand.

Reactions: drowningchild

CallMeAria

Aug 17, 2010
Murrieta, CA
Let's no give up too quick, in all fairness, I haven't tried 7-6 yet. Smartass shines during Screen On use. It also shines in conserving battery during Screen Off times (in most cases).

It's downfall, is it's inability to recognize and adapt to CPU load when in the Screen Off mode. It just seems to assume that if the screen is off, nothing is going on, so it's OK to go to sleep.

My situation may be different than most people in that I spend 2 or 3 days a week using the phone (screen off) all day long, streaming music to a BT headset and the phone in "standby" awaiting a (potential) incoming phone call, nothing more.
I'm busy riding a motorcycle during these times, and if it's not for the fact that the Aria's screen is next to impossible to read in direct sunlight, I'm too busy avoiding the idiots that are texting while driving, too have any use for data services. ;)

So, here's my current (workaround) solution to Smartass' limitations.
1 - I'm running Smartass 245-806 as default.
2 - I'm using Tasker.apk to monitor my Bluetooth status, and when active, overriding the governor to - On Demand 245-768.
(BT is always on when I'm using the phone Screen Off and easy to monitor.)

This is working out OK for me now, but it leaves me wondering, for example, how many people use their Aria unplugged (screen off) as an alarm clock, and how many of them have been late for work because the Smartass Deep Sleep mode stopped the alarm clock from activating? That's just one of the potential problems I foresee when the phone enters Deep Sleep and is unable to respond to upcoming CPU demand.

You brought up some interesting points that I hadn't thought about before. Two things I would like to point out is that I was using smartass for quite some time and during that time I would plug my phone into the auxiliary Jack of my car stereo and listen to music. It worked great with the exception that once in a while there would be a delay when trying to skip a track using the volume buttons after the phones been off for a while. Not as intensive as streaming through Bluetooth though. I never had a problem with my alarm going off though. I'd imagine since the phone isn't actually doing anything while I'm sleeping there is nothing to keep the underclocked CPU from waking for the alarm.

I think a fix for the music Bluetooth issue, and all screen off issues, would be to raise the minimum frequency that smartass uses while screenoff. I think raising it to 245 as opposed to 120 with screen off would fix the issue. And I suppose the easiest way to do that would be to remove all the frequencies below 245 from the kernel altogether. A 245/320 screen off and 400 min screen on would still be very nice.

Sent from my cm7 Aria.

dandrumheller

Jul 10, 2010
A little away from the current topic of conversation here, but are any of you guys still having issues with lack of notifications from the gmail app? I think I recall seeing a post or 2 on it a while ago, but haven't seen anything in a while?

Edit: Wow, apparently working night shifts is mangling my brain. After a quick google search (1st hit, 2nd post) indicated a clear data / toggle mail sync in the settings menu might fix the problem, I went and checked my account settings - sure enough, mail sync was turned off. checked the box, and like magic I now have push mail again. I know I didn't turn it off, so it must have been set off by default in one of the builds I flashed or something. Anyway, hopefully this might help some other poor soul who runs into the same thing....

Last edited:

cHarley04

Dec 21, 2010
FloriDuh
I think a fix for the music Bluetooth issue, and all screen off issues, would be to raise the minimum frequency that smartass uses while screenoff. I think raising it to 245 as opposed to 120 with screen off would fix the issue. And I suppose the easiest way to do that would be to remove all the frequencies below 245 from the kernel altogether. A 245/320 screen off and 400 min screen on would still be very nice.

Sent from my cm7 Aria.

As follow up, I show the following as the 5 lower end speed steps, according to the CPU Spy app:
245 - 200 - 122 - 120 - Deep Sleep

Maybe the answer isn't raising the min to 245, but not allowing it to enter Deep Sleep?
And, based on my chart above, a 320 max during Screen Off, probably won't cut it in this case.

EDIT: a quick test at 245min - 320max while streaming via BT
CPU at 245 - 1% of time & 320 - 99% of time. Phone controls extremely sluggish to unresponsive.

Last edited:

CallMeAria

Aug 17, 2010
Murrieta, CA
As follow up, I show the following as the 5 lower end speed steps, according to the CPU Spy app:
245 - 200 - 122 - 120 - Deep Sleep

Maybe the answer isn't raising the min to 245, but not allowing it to enter Deep Sleep?
And, based on my chart above, a 320 max during Screen Off, probably won't cut it in this case.

EDIT: a quick test at 245min - 320max while streaming via BT
CPU at 245 - 1% of time & 320 - 99% of time. Phone controls extremely sluggish to unresponsive.

2 questions:

1. Do the other governors allow the phone to go into deep sleep with bt running? Or is it just smartass. If the other governors allow deep sleep then I don't think that would be the problem.

2. When you say you set it 245/320 and the controls are sluggish is that with screen on or off?

Yet another observation: maybe it'd just the fact that the smartass wont let the phone go over 320 screen off that's causing the problem. Maybe its not the minimum?

Try this with tasked or set CPU:
Scenario 1:
Interactive governor.
245/400 screen off.
400/600+ screen on.
(Maybe try 120/400 screen off too).

See if that fixes your issues and it would atleast give us some more insight.

EDIT: what music player are you using?

Sent from my cm7 Aria.

Last edited:

CallMeAria

Aug 17, 2010
Murrieta, CA
A little away from the current topic of conversation here, but are any of you guys still having issues with lack of notifications from the gmail app? I think I recall seeing a post or 2 on it a while ago, but haven't seen anything in a while?

I don't use the actual Gmail app, but no issues with my Gmail pushing to the android email app.

Sent from my cm7 Aria.

dandrumheller

Jul 10, 2010
I don't use the actual Gmail app, but no issues with my Gmail pushing to the android email app.

Sent from my cm7 Aria.

I have never used the android email app - just Gmail (my one other account gets polled by gmail so I don't have to have an email app polling from the device). Will the android mail app accept gmail pushes with polling turned off?

Edit: answer appears to be no.

Edit 2: issue resolved, see post one page back for details

Last edited:

cHarley04

Dec 21, 2010
FloriDuh
2 questions:

1. Do the other governors allow the phone to go into deep sleep with bt running? Or is it just smartass. If the other governors allow deep sleep then I don't think that would be the problem.
This only occurs with Smartass. The other governors seem to obey the Min/Max clock settings, while Smartass ignores them when the screen is off.
2. When you say you set it 245/320 and the controls are sluggish is that with screen on or off?
Both Screen On & Off
Yet another observation: maybe it'd just the fact that the smartass wont let the phone go over 320 screen off that's causing the problem. Maybe its not the minimum?
That seems doubtful from what I've seen, but to test that would require a custom Smartass kernel with a Screen Off max of at least 400. Smartss does work for several (~5) minutes before crashing, during my testing. Repeatedly testing and closely watching CPUSpy at 30 second intervals, leads me to believe that Smartass allows several minutes to pass after Screen Off, before dropping into Deep Sleep, or at least slowing to a clock rate that's too slow to cope with the CPU load. Streaming music works during the initial few minutes (sluggishly) before either Deep Sleep kicks in or the clock slows to a rate too slow to keep up with the task demand.
Try this with tasked or set CPU:
Scenario 1:
Interactive governor.
245/400 screen off.
400/600+ screen on.
(Maybe try 120/400 screen off too).

See if that fixes your issues and it would atleast give us some more insight.
I have already tested this using Tasker to set Interactive at both 245-320 and then 245-400 when streaming via BT. The phone does not enter Deep Sleep, and the 245-400 setting is not near as sluggish when pressing phone controls. Using data gathered (see my chart in above post), setting the CPU min to anything less than a 245 min would seem pointless, as demand on the CPU will keep it from running any slower, with the exception of Smartass screen off mode which seems to have it's own problem if there are any background, CPU intensive, tasks running.
EDIT: what music player are you using?
Both the stock Music app and my favorite, MortPlayer.
Sent from my cm7 Aria.
I'm not saying that Smartass won't work well for many people, but it appears to me, that anyone running CPU intensive, screen off, background tasks, are sooner or later going to experience problems.
I guess I'm just not convinced, that "Screen Off" is the best State to use as a status flag for determining when you can safely chop the CPU clock rate.

What I would like to be able to test, is a Smartass kernel with 120-400 Screen Off and no Deep Sleep step.

Last edited:

cHarley04

Dec 21, 2010
FloriDuh
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hopnqdix2q85i26/cpufreq_smartass.c
thats the actual kernel part for smartass just open it up in a text editor have a look at it :)

Thanks.

First, I'm not much of a programmer and I haven't had but about 20 minutes to study the file, but here's what I see.

Using Notepad++

The obvious:
line 98 - #define DEFAULT_SLEEP_MAX_FREQ 320000
change to raise the max sleep freq. to say 400000

The interesting:
comments in lines 663-665 (below), seem to explain why smartass works for a brief period in Screen Off, but after that time expires, Smartass doesn't give a Ratsass how busy (loaded) the CPU is, it's going to start stepping down the clock.
Note comment, "even at full load the timer will lower the freqeuncy"

Maybe I'm just not bright enough to figure out how slowing down a CPU that's running at say =>50% load, is going to result in anything other than trouble. :confused:
IMO, ignoring CPU load during Screen Off, is just flat wrong and a crash waiting to happen.

Aria_Sleep.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    thanks ladios, but i've already tried editing gps.conf and adding the missing lines, namely:

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
    SUPL_PORT=7276
    C2K_HOST=default or c2k.pde.com
    C2K_PORT=0 or 1234

doesn't make a difference. only thing that works for me is pushing the old gps.liberty.so.

i'm thinking the commit should probably get reverted or made supersonic specific (after all, he does mention the supersonic in the commit message).
    So, it's not that simple... probably more is going on behind the scene.

are you still using an aria btw? i've noticed you had some commits for the samsung aries recently.
    Some devices have their own settings apps. I just maintain the Traditional Chinese translations for those. I'm still using my aria, but not for long. Perhaps, I'd go for the new nexus.

When you mean old gps.libs. How old are we talking here? Does anybody have the old gps.libs handy by any chance so that I can try that out also?
    The oldest one from htc stock.

I made a few zips for you guys to try. The libs are all built from source cleanly with `make gps.liberty`, so they should be safe... I mean the libs should (theoretically) have no conflicts. Anyway, NANDROID first!

(I think those filenames are self-expained.)
    Don't you think this issue should have been addressed by now?? For me form should functionality not the other way around. But thats just me.

Hope somebody in the CM project, the biggest and the best android project in the world, is listening. Kudos on the rest of the achievements. rolleyes

Thank you.

You really need to remember that you are running our test builds. We haven't actually released anything yet.
    Seems a lot of people are having problems so Id like to add

0. Power down phone manually then boot into clockwork manually (Power on while holding volume down)

1. Wipe data/factory reset
    2. Wipe cache
    3. Wipe Dalvik
    4. Install CM 7. Nightly
    4. Partitions menu > Format System

Step #4 can help you get past the bootlooping problem.
    5. Install GB-GoogleApps!
    6. Reboot and hello CM7

The 2.3 topic has the links.

Try using Move2SD Enabler so you can move apps2sd.

sent from my HTC Intruder
    A few notes:

• The problem with the install script was that the script was issuing an incorrect format command. This caused cm7 to install directly over cm6, retaining incompatible 2.2 code and causing bootloops in most cases unless a system format was done in clockwork manually prior to flashing cm7. This has been corrected, and system no longer has to be formatted before the cm7 is flashed for reliable operation as of the 01/19 nightly. You may still want to do this if you want to do a clean install with no gapps backup/restores.
    • A few of you have noted problems with wifi. There is no reason to expect CM7 to perform any differently than cm6.1.1 did regarding wifi. If you do, then there is probably an issue with your flash or with your wifi data. We are using essentially the same kernel and wifi drivers. Once again, no Broadcom driver set works with every access point out there. I've selected the ones that seem to work best for most people, including myself.
    • A few of you have noted issues with GPS. My experience with CM7 is that GPS locks very, very quickly. I used it today on a short road trip, and there was zero wait for GPS sync even after a. not using it for a few days and b. flashing a new test ROM. (Nothing changed regarding GPS). AGPS data is critical. If it's out of date, it can be a bear to sync. I suggest using GPS status (free in market) to update AGPS data and sync for the first time. Once that's done, GPS should be reliable thereafter.
    • Quadrant Benchmark does not work on Gingerbread. Notes for the product in market indicate that it does not yet support the Nexus S (the only production Gingerbread phone to date). If the Nexus S doesn't work with Quadrant, then I am afraid we all wait for a fix for Gingerbread before we worry about it any further.
    • For people who noted that the game "Air Control" did not work in CM6 - well, it does in CM7. Go figure.

jznomoney and I (for the Liberty device) and the rest of the CM team are still working hard & fast as we can to bring a full set of CM features and even more stability to this project. Enjoy.
    http://www.facebook.com/notes/cyanogenmod/cm7-nightly-builds/10150118709971183

Liberty is up there... I don't want to be the sacrificial guinea pig though ;)