Official HTC update on bootloader unlock 7/10

Search This thread

Derek0228

Apr 10, 2009
Aibonito
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
**UPDATE 7/10**

We wanted to provide an update on HTC’s progress with bringing bootloader unlocking to our newest phones. We know how excited some of you are for this capability, and we’ve put significant resources behind making this change as soon as possible. While we wish we could flip a simple switch and unlock all bootloaders across our device portfolio, this is actually a complex challenge that requires a new software build and extensive testing to deliver the best possible customer experience.

We’re thrilled to announce today that software updates to support bootloader unlocking will begin rolling out in August for the global HTC Sensation, followed by the HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile USA and the HTC EVO 3D on Sprint. We’re in the testing phase for the unlocking capability now, and we expect it to be fully operational by early September for devices that have received the software updates. We'll continue rolling out the unlocking capability over time to other devices as part of maintenance releases and new shipments.

HTC continues its commitment to unlocking bootloaders and supporting the developer community. Because of the importance of this community to us, please expect an update on this about every few weeks as we make progress toward launch. Thank you for your patience and continued support!

Source: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150305151453084

I don't know about you guys, but I'm disappointed at the fact that we have to wait so much for this to happen :( I hope the devs do it first :D

I've learned my lesson and will be getting the next Nexus. I miss ROM-flashing. :p

Crusher16

Jan 29, 2008
Plano, TX
I am glad they have finally officially said something. All the immature posts flooding their Facebook wall annoy me. Although, they will probably still go on.

Reactions: fradog23

mouzaihem

Jan 15, 2008
Detroit
Technically speaking, wouldn't devs be able to take the first update unlocking the international phone and use it to attempt to unlock the branded versions before they get the official release?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Derek0228

Apr 10, 2009
Aibonito
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Technically speaking, wouldn't devs be able to take the first update unlocking the international phone and use it to attempt to unlock the branded versions before they get the official release?

Probably, probably not. I was looking yesterday at the Atrix forums, and i tihnk AT&T Atrix's could have their bootloaders unlocked, while Bell Atrix's couldn't. So we'll see when the time comes. :/

BonesRed

Apr 27, 2010
Lower East Side, NYC

I should hope so, but who knows what wrenches HTC/Phone Providers might be able to throw into the mix.

I'm still more thrilled about a possible XDA unlock than by an HTC unlockm which could and in all likelihood will come with some sort of strings, warranty voiding ones, attached.

Matt1408

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I would like to thank so many people for this:

I would like to thank my mom, dad, sister. Without you guys I wouldn't have the patience to go through with all of this.
I would also like to thank the big man: Carl!

hurrpancakes

Jul 23, 2010
Now let's see how many times this gets reposted

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA Premium App

cheesinar

Nov 3, 2010
Hong Kong
I really don't get some people. For weeks countless people have been whinging that HTC have not set a time frame for our bootlockers to be unlocked, now today HTC make an announcement setting a time frame and people still whinge.

We all bought the phone knowing that the bootlocker is locked with the understanding that in time it will be unlocked. Which is what HTC is doing. Personally I would rather wait until after extensive testing for the update to hopefully work correctly instead of a rushed update full of bugs.

Matt1408

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I really don't get some people. For weeks countless people have been whinging that HTC have not set a time frame for our bootlockers to be unlocked, now today HTC make an announcement setting a time frame and people still whinge.

We all bought the phone knowing that the bootlocker is locked with the understanding that in time it will be unlocked. Which is what HTC is doing. Personally I would rather wait until after extensive testing for the update to hopefully work correctly instead of a rushed update full of bugs.

I bought the phone knowing it was going to be unlocked one day. However, never owning an HTC device before, I quickly noticed how big of a drag Sense really was. The in store demos don't really work enough since it's not like you're going to login and customize everything. But once I had everything up and running I REALLY saw how much I prefered the stock experience. So I put the phone to it's side and kept the Nexus One as my daily driver.

However, with this announcement of unlocked bootloaders I will not return my phone like I previously thought.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **UPDATE 7/10**

We wanted to provide an update on HTC’s progress with bringing bootloader unlocking to our newest phones. We know how excited some of you are for this capability, and we’ve put significant resources behind making this change as soon as possible. While we wish we could flip a simple switch and unlock all bootloaders across our device portfolio, this is actually a complex challenge that requires a new software build and extensive testing to deliver the best possible customer experience.

We’re thrilled to announce today that software updates to support bootloader unlocking will begin rolling out in August for the global HTC Sensation, followed by the HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile USA and the HTC EVO 3D on Sprint. We’re in the testing phase for the unlocking capability now, and we expect it to be fully operational by early September for devices that have received the software updates. We'll continue rolling out the unlocking capability over time to other devices as part of maintenance releases and new shipments.

HTC continues its commitment to unlocking bootloaders and supporting the developer community. Because of the importance of this community to us, please expect an update on this about every few weeks as we make progress toward launch. Thank you for your patience and continued support!

Source: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150305151453084

I don't know about you guys, but I'm disappointed at the fact that we have to wait so much for this to happen :( I hope the devs do it first :D

I've learned my lesson and will be getting the next Nexus. I miss ROM-flashing. :p
    holy ****, every goddamn thread in the sensation forums turns into a flame war

wtf is wrong with you people, this is a community, not congress!

differing opinions and viewpoints are fine and well when presented with some intelligence, but now this just seems like petty arguments from high school...

next thing ppl will complain there isnt a date provided, and when you get that, youll demand the time...chill the **** out and have patience.

if you cant wait for HTC, then donate to teamwin and let them work their magic...

otherwise, sell your phone and get one thats already unlocked, install cyanogen and stfu

Exactly my thoughts. I am excited either way, the efforts from team win, or HTC. We all win.
    I am glad they have finally officially said something. All the immature posts flooding their Facebook wall annoy me. Although, they will probably still go on.