Anyone running faux's new 1.2ghz,1.3ghz kernal

Search This thread

Phalanx7621

Jul 17, 2011
Delaware
OnePlus 8 Pro
Google Pixel 5a
For those saying its draining your battery make sure u don't blame the kernel before looking at why it's happening. Is it an app u installed? Is something keeping it awake? Did u do a proper wipe with fastboot before installing? Yes this means clearing system, cache, webtop, preinstall,userdata, and boot.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

wintermute000

Jul 13, 2010
previous faux kernels (tried 1.2, 1.3, 1.6 previously) I'd get around 10% drain per hour with light use, even with a mild undervolt. I hence kept with stock (with alien ROM) kernel where it would be from 50% to 100% less drain with same usage pattern.

With the latest 1.9, I'm actually seeing BETTER battery than stock kernel, so kudos to faux123.

I'm using more or less the same set of apps, and if anything there is more crap running now lol.

now if only I can figure out why my phone wants to OC up to 1.3 even though setcpu is set to 1.2.... lol

Last edited:

vanstorm

May 7, 2011
For those saying its draining your battery make sure u don't blame the kernel before looking at why it's happening. Is it an app u installed? Is something keeping it awake? Did u do a proper wipe with fastboot before installing? Yes this means clearing system, cache, webtop, preinstall,userdata, and boot.

Can you use cwm to do a full wipe or does it have to be fastboot?

wintermute000

Jul 13, 2010
Can you use cwm to do a full wipe or does it have to be fastboot?

From what I can tell, fastboot is the most comprehensive/safe way of doing it, some guides recommend running it twice.
However from all accounts if your CWM is v3 or better from Romracer then the wipe is fully equivalent to fastboot wiping. The older CWMs like the old tenfar didn't do it properly or something like that.
I used the Romracer CWM wipe to do full install of Alien v4 and had zero issues

Rickroller

Sep 9, 2010
Red Deer

Agreed..I'm running the 1.3 kernel and fastboot wiped everything before install (as well as did a fresh ROM / radio install) and am getting great battery life..even OC'd. I was still at 47% after 15 hours yesterday..with over 2hrs on screen time and 1.5hrs in phone calls.

rpolansky

Mar 7, 2011
In the boonies (South Tex)
anybody finding that setcpu doesn't 'limit' the overclock properly?

e.g. I've got it set to 1.2 max but it seems to be going up to 1.3 quite happily (setCPU open, move finger around bottom, goes up to 1.3 quite clearly).

Good to know my phone can take it lol but it is a bit concerning.

Yes, same for me. I said to heck with it..let er rip....:)

Seems very stable..no reboots.

gpagador

Sep 29, 2010
I'm rocking faux 1.9 ocd to 1.3ghz on cm7 prebeta 3 and after adjusting the volatges with appropriate undervolt, I'm getting stellar performance and pretty decent bat life considering the heavy use it gets. Can easily go all day even with the hrs of music listening and gaming done. Everything responds instantaneously :).

Sent from glorious master race of Atrix users xD

Do you mind sharing your undervolt settings just so I can compare mine. I tried some really aggressive ones but they won't stick.

Thanks in advance.

zoso28

Feb 17, 2008
East Coast
I've been running 1.3 on Alien ROM for a couple days now and I haven't noticed any battery drain at all (beyond normal). For a 1.3GHz kernel I'm really impressed with its efficiency. I have profiles set up in SetCPU to regulate it at times (screen off, low batt, etc) but it runs at 1.3GHz when under load. Haven't had a single reboot yet.

Like others though, it runs at 1.3 GHz under load regardless of what the main SetCPU screen is set for. You can set up a profile to keep it under 1.3 if you want (i.e. 1.2 or less when batt is < 100%)

Anyway, great job Faux.. can't wait to see the Atrix at 1.5GHz.

Undervolted at -25mV for all but 216MHz which is -75mV. Had more agressive settings on the 1.1GHz kernel but the 100mV step limit makes it more difficult on this kernel

Last edited:

ECdOc

Jan 20, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I have been running Faux 1.9 @ 1.3 for the last day, still testing UV settings. Here are some screens:

SETCPU1.png
SETCPU2.png
SETCPU3.png
SETCPU4.png
SETCPU5.png

Using Bluetooth to and from work every day (1 hour +/-), 45 mins of GPS, only a few calls (10 mins +/-), a little over 2 hours display time.

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
anybody finding that setcpu doesn't 'limit' the overclock properly?

e.g. I've got it set to 1.2 max but it seems to be going up to 1.3 quite happily (setCPU open, move finger around bottom, goes up to 1.3 quite clearly).

Good to know my phone can take it lol but it is a bit concerning.

yeah, I noticed that too. I added a very low priority for battery <100% and set it to 1ghz. When charging, it will go up to 1.3ghz.

lexx210

Jul 18, 2011
Montreal
I have been running Faux 1.9 @ 1.3 for the last day, still testing UV settings. Here are some screens:

SETCPU1.png
SETCPU2.png
SETCPU3.png
SETCPU4.png
SETCPU5.png

Using Bluetooth to and from work every day (1 hour +/-), 45 mins of GPS, only a few calls (10 mins +/-), a little over 2 hours display time.

How did you choose 750 and 608 as maximums for your profiles? I'm only able to choose 216,456,800,1000, etc. Thanks.

zoso28

Feb 17, 2008
East Coast

Unless the 100mV step limit has changed, I don't think your undervolt settings would stick like that. I've been having a hard time figuring out a good set now that we're up to 1.3.

CPU not able to goto 216 Mhz setCPU with faux v1.9. In the setcpu program, it shows the Mhz, and the lowest it goes now is 301, wheres before on v 1.7 it would goto 216 Mhz

Mine goes down to 216 still

vanstorm

May 7, 2011
I rebooted my phone a few times and the battery drain seemed to lessen with each reboot. Does this sound right or maybe just wishful thinking/plcebo?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dude. You softbricked my phone. Might want to put up a bigger disclaimer.
    Here is a tip to avoid a soft brick in the future. Make a safety profile in SetCPU for a max speed/voltage you know will work. If you put the safety profile for "charging", then you just need to plug your phone in to trigger the safety profile and you can make changes.

I've used this to recover from bad overclocking judgments on other kernels.
    Does the new kernel work in CM7..i don't see a compatible link.

Beta 3 has the new kernel in the rom itself!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

SETCPU1.png
    SETCPU2.png
    SETCPU3.png
    SETCPU4.png
    SETCPU5.png

Undervolt Settings?? :)

picture.php

EDIT: I am in the process of retweaking them lower, and running stress test for 10mins on each clock speed.
    I notice your setcpu says your phone is running at 5xx mhz, with a max set at 1300 and min at 216. Mine is set to the same, although it constantly seems to be running at the max level whenver I open setcpu and look at that value. For whatever reason it doesn't want to fluctuate between the max and min. Do you have any idea why?

mine said 546MHz because that was the clock speed it was running at in the range of 216MHz and 1300MHz.

The reason it shows max level when it opens is because the max "loaded" frequency is 1.3GHz, the lowest being "idle state" is 216MHz. Under operation you would not normally see the processor going to any of the in between frequencies shown in the voltage tables because its either doing work, or it is not. Therefore unless you have specific profiles setup for different frequencies, the only time you will see the other frequencies is probably when its loading, and unloading from the work.

EDIT: @Swiftks - Im an idiot lol, gonna be a little bit for retesting.. I forgot the 100mv rule.