[APP] Writepad: handwriting optimized for stylus

Search This thread

ElCamino

Feb 5, 2007
I think he meant having it fill the whole screen. I'm considering having an option to hide the action bar on top, and the scroll bar on the side, while you're in landscape mode.

The app remembers your pinch-zoom setting across pages and when you hit the "home" button but if you exit with the "back" button it will forget the zoom level. I guess if enough people want the zoom level saved, it's easy to do, but I like having a default one-click zoom.

The check mark "flattens" the image onto the rest of the page, so you can't move or resize it anymore. There's probably not enough memory to keep multiple large images as layers (though there are ways around that... I think). You can add as many pics as you want as long as you click checkmark each time. You can do cropping with the eraser tool for now :p

This should be easier when I add select / cut / paste, but come on guys this is not going to be Photoshop.

I don't know how to open PDFs inside the app - that's not a standard rendering library that I can use commercially. Just going to refer you guys to this great app (ezPDF) that I was inspired by:

https://market.android.com/details?id=udk.android.reader&feature=search_result

Yes I meant like Transceiver said. I will be looking out for hopefully a update in your app to do this. Great job on this app. Also hope to soon see it work on my Galaxy Tab 10.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium App

downshift

Jan 23, 2011
I'm using the Transformer and was wondering if anybody else has encountered the same problem. When holding the zoom button for moving around the page, it seems to get stuck and I'm unable to use any other functions until I restart the app.

tritran18518

Mar 9, 2009
When i zoom in a lot, the app is pixelated really bad. Can you find out a way fix this problem ( tabnote app has the zoom function, and it's not pixelated when zooming)

transceiver

Apr 1, 2011
Galaxy Tab 10.1 issue

Here's a side by side comparison between writing on the Samsung (left) and Asus (right) in the free program MaplePaint:

0pQ0f.jpg

And this is with the palm off the screen (wearing a glove). As far as I know, this is a hardware / firmware issue and there's no solution to this yet. I do not recommend buying my app or a stylus if you are using Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

That said, if you figure out a solution to this I'd be happy to donate some money your way! :D

lpasq

Feb 14, 2006
Paid app update is awesome. Great work... ...truly appreciated.

Anyone try DulyNoted by MaplePaint? It is a tablet note app for Honeycomb but I only seen it in the Lenovo "market".

kenfly

Dec 22, 2009
heres just a cool idea to impliment. I was thinking of the HTC flyer where you can also record audio at the same time and playback the audio and at the same time, playback your notes strokes. Just an idea. I have yet to try this app out yet since I don't have a stylus, but I df will if I get one (or make one)

lpasq

Feb 14, 2006
heres just a cool idea to impliment. I was thinking of the HTC flyer where you can also record audio at the same time and playback the audio and at the same time, playback your notes strokes. Just an idea. I have yet to try this app out yet since I don't have a stylus, but I df will if I get one (or make one)

Been hoping to see that app ported to Thinkpad which has n-trig and stylus too. No thinkpad XDA presence. Sad.

...thinkpad tablet posted...

FC1032

Aug 30, 2010
Sydney
So is there plans on porting this to gingerbread? It will this be honeycomb exclusive??

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

transceiver

Apr 1, 2011
So is there plans on porting this to gingerbread? It will this be honeycomb exclusive??

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

Honestly, I'd rather take a break now and work on it some more when Android 4 (Icecream Sandwich) comes out. Doesn't that make more sense?

Oh, market version updated for better PDF support! Make sure to update the PDFExporter addon too.

smoky_at

Aug 7, 2007
super programm

Hello I use this app with the lenovo thinkpad tablet,
It works great.

Here some ideas

If it is possible the writing should be faster to get the paper feeling.
Moving written text, graph and also pictures.

I love this app - super

Greetings Klaus form Austria

lpasq

Feb 14, 2006
Hello I use this app with the lenovo thinkpad tablet,
It works great.

Here some ideas

If it is possible the writing should be faster to get the paper feeling.
Moving written text, graph and also pictures.

I love this app - super

Greetings Klaus form Austria

Agreed. I use on Thinkpad Tablet with N-trig pen and Xoom with capacitive type stylus and both nice. Finger always good too.

...zoom posted...

mktrek

Apr 7, 2007
Feature suggestion

I am loving the app! It would be great to have a highlighted feature.

Keep up the great work!

FC1032

Aug 30, 2010
Sydney
Honestly, I'd rather take a break now and work on it some more when Android 4 (Icecream Sandwich) comes out. Doesn't that make more sense?

Oh, market version updated for better PDF support! Make sure to update the PDFExporter addon too.

That's fine with me :p I get an excuse to get a honeycomb tablet or ice cream tablet(?) later. Keep up the good work !! So getting this with my future tabs!

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

HecaThePeca

Jun 11, 2010
Nice looking app!!

Hi! I guess the sample pictures in the android market were made with a capacitive stylus? (a bad idea BTW...it looks horrible!!) Could someone please post images or video of math formulae written with an active digitizer (e.g. on Lenovo thinkpad tablet or HTC Jetstream etc.), for example something like the attached image below. So basically I would need to scribble quite small math formulae so the stylus/app accuracy is important. BTW that stuff was written with a Lenovo Thinkpad X200 tablet with Wacom active digitizer... but it's got windows and I friggin HATE windows!! :D

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 137

Jamibu

Apr 22, 2010
Well the pictures were done with capacitive stylus as the devekoper was building on such a device and the majority of tablets being used at the moment are capacitive and no digitizer pen (xoom, galaxy tab, acer etc). If he doesn't have the hardware you'd like, it'll be kind of difficult for him to get those screenshots for you :-/ sorry. The digitizer pens do look insanely accurate though, my xoom is envious ;-)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

transceiver

Apr 1, 2011
Hi! I guess the sample pictures in the android market were made with a capacitive stylus? (a bad idea BTW...it looks horrible!!) Could someone please post images or video of math formulae written with an active digitizer (e.g. on Lenovo thinkpad tablet or HTC Jetstream etc.), for example something like the attached image below. So basically I would need to scribble quite small math formulae so the stylus/app accuracy is important. BTW that stuff was written with a Lenovo Thinkpad X200 tablet with Wacom active digitizer... but it's got windows and I friggin HATE windows!! :D

Those are OLD screenshots. I guess I should update them :) Oh, if any users here have cool screenshots send them to me and I'll put them up on Market.

Here's a more recent one. It took me longer to try to read what you wrote than to replicate it. Yes it's with a capacitive stylus, but with the zoom feature it's not hard to get those smaller marks.

Note that on a 10 inch screen the lines are same width as the actual paper (on the legal pad and on the engineering pad). I write that size on real paper otherwise I can't read it :|

http://i.imgur.com/xUlXR.png

Anyone have the android Thinkpad Tablet? Is the stylus on that any good?

Oh, I'm noticing an offset in the touchscreen of my Transformer. I guess it's a common problem but very annoying for writing - I spent 2 hours trying to figure out whether it was a problem with my app or with the hardware. Do other people have this problem? To see it, reset the calibration in Writepad, and try to trace the lines on the page near the top and bottom of the screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: HecaThePeca

rainabba

Mar 16, 2008

If you use the zoom feature that included, you don't have to write small, but the result will be small writing (if that makes sense).

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

It seems that I've finally found a fault in my Toshiba Thrive. Using this app on it, the "palm detection" doesn't really work. No matter what values I try in the settings, the results are erratic and unusable. I think the cause has to do with the multi-touch response of it's digitizer. I used a few "Multi-touch test" apps and in each case found that the pen wasn't recognized well when my hand was down. I think this might be because only 4 points are registered. Can the developer shed any light on this or tell me how I might be able to help troubleshoot or provide more information that would be useful?

joshzide

Mar 17, 2008
Anyone have the android Thinkpad Tablet? Is the stylus on that any good?

Yes, it works pretty well. The Thinkpad Tablet community is hoping Lenovo will make it possible to disable the touch when using the pen, but it's a nice, smooth pen. If Lenovo issues an API, pressure sensitivity in Writepad would be truly awesome. I'm currently using it to teach my Quantum Mechanics class...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: September 17
    New feature:
    * Flip view. Are you accidentally hitting the android system menu all the time? I am. Now you can flip the tablet over!

Probably the last update before I release 2.0. Woot!

UPDATE: September 16
    New feature:
    * Custom pen color / size / transparency.
    * Pretty icons!

UPDATE: September 12

Writepad 2 beta is out. Download below!

New features:
    * Bigger eraser size. You can change size of eraser using the "style" menu.
    * Lasso erase. Draw a closed path to erase everything inside it.
    * Typing mode. Click the T icon to start typing. Click again to go back to writing mode. If you have a physical keyboard you can keep typing while in writing mode. (Note: the text will not export to PDF or any other format yet. still working on it.)
    * Import images from SD card. You can resize the image by dragging on the lower left corner.
    * Import from web. Use the mini browser to go to the site you want, then hit OK to import it to your page. Then you can draw on it. (The zooming is weird right now)
    * Auto-scroll button. Located above the zoom button - this will automatically scroll from left to right, and then to the next line. Useful for those who like to write while zoomed in. You can hold down the button and reposition it to wherever you like.

A few more features coming. I'll polish up the icons too - they're ugly right now.

The beta version will install as a separate app called "Writepad 2 beta". Please email me if you find bugs!

I just got this stylus http://www.amazon.com/Newest-Genera...rranty/dp/B004HO86P6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
    and it is the best stylus I've used. Much smoother, smaller tip = better handwriting!

UPDATE: August 17

Been working hard to get this released. I had no idea that there'll be so much response on here, so I will start going through your comments tomorrow. For now: I've updated the release APK below. It has all the features of the one on the market, but will stop working on October 1st. The market version is here for $0.99 https://market.android.com/details?id=com.writepad

Thank you for your interest!! It means a lot to a first time developer :)

-----------------------

I'll be using this app myself to take math notes when school starts, so I'm trying to get some nice features in there. I want this app to be as close to writing on real paper as possible. Let me know what you think!

I made this on the Asus Transformer (Android 3.2) and am interested in how it works on other tablets. Nitpick away; I'll try to fix any bugs before I put it up on the Market. The market version will have support for multiple notebooks.

Features:

Smooth writing experience: no lag and no jitter between the stylus movement and the screen response.

Smart palm detection. Only records the writing from your stylus! (note: only works for right handed people now. will add the setting for left-handers later)

Export page and notebook: share the page as PNG file, or export the whole thing as a ZIP file to your dropbox or gmail.

Paper type: comes with four familiar paper types.

Stylus calibration: Instead of drawing where the stylus touches the screen, it will draw where you *think* the stylus tip is. Good for those thicker tip styluses.

I use a Griffin stylus: http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-Stylus-iPhone-touchscreens/dp/B0041D0K1Q/ref=pd_cp_e_2, modded with the rubber grip from a Pentel pencil: http://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Twist-Erase-Automatic-Pencil-Blue/dp/B00006IEH1
    Hey guys, OP here. I've updated the APK to the latest (release version) and the app is now on the market! Will go through your comments later :)
    On the Galaxy Tab 10.1, as soon as I rest my palm on the screen, I can't write at all.

Developer here:

This is a known issue with the Galaxy Tab. I have no idea why this happens. There might be some hardware differences between the Galaxy Tab screen and the Asus / Xoom screen. Or maybe some custom software on the Galaxy Tab?

If anyone around Seattle want to let me do some hands-on test on their Galaxy Tab I'd be very grateful :)
    Tested on Asus Transformet HC 3.2

Works fine. Fast drawing - no lags. But i want to see in future:
    - Landscape mode
    - Text input by keyboard - wold be nice... for example.. in school when i'm writting math definition (by keyboard) and some calculations draw by hand... would be nice to see this 2 input methods in your app.
    - Save notes to PDF
    - Add photos to notes.
    OneNote features

Onenote has a very good way to organize your notes.

First level you have the notebooks. ( I have Personal, School, etc.)

Second level you have the folders. (Each class in the case of school)

Third level you have the different tabs (Different chapters in your book)

Also they have done a really good job of integrating the handwritten notes with the typed notes. You can write a bunch of notes and when you need to draw a diagram or write an equation it will make that a image file that you can move around. I would be happy to work with you to get this working well. I will attack a picture of my onenote with a bunch of my tabs and folders.

Other features that I would like.
    Like Freenote: It would be nice to have an area that you could write larger that would shrink down once you pause. This would really help to make it so you could fit a lot more notes on one page. There is also a !p@d app that has alot of really good features. Take a look at this video. www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=jUGG08eGRfg

I would like to be a beta tester as well.
    Jake