[RUMOR] X10 might get ICS officially!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

aR_ChRiS

Dec 23, 2010
Hong Kong
Google Pixel 5a
Yes, I know. It is not the first time you explained hardware acceleration very well ;).
But I guess besides the camera the activation of hardware aceleration it is the hardest part for a proper working ICS ROM.
After some less days it was able to run ICS on a Nexus One based on the SDK. But it wasn´t possible that the GPU accelerate the system. But we´ll see what is possible right now after the sources are released.

So GPU acceleration is optional?

Sent from my X10i using XDA App

Amin`

Aug 12, 2011
www.proxypaz.ir
Guys! I recall that many times ago I was thinking that x10 mini's hardware cant run gingerbread... but now I see that it runs 2.3.7 very well...

so don't post anything like x10's gpu can't run ics...because I saw it runs heavy HD games like backstab so good...so don't think x10's gpu is very poor;)

Reactions: maddes1402

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
Guys! I recall that many times ago I was thinking that x10 mini's hardware cant run gingerbread... but now I see that it runs 2.3.7 very well...

so don't post anything like x10's gpu can't run ics...because I saw it runs heavy HD games like backstab so good...so don't think x10's gpu is very poor;)

But as I saw somebody post yesterday, can't remember who, I think he was a Japanese dev tsuyo.kou, one of the biggest problems is going to be with the kernal. We have 2.6.29 modded by SE to include teethering and such like, 2.6.29 is very old, they are having problems in just making 2.6.32 and only just been able to get it to boot and nothing else. Ics is based on 3.xx kernals, think about that. If somebody does port it over it will take a very long time and that's if they can even get it to work. I don't mean to sound unoptimistic or piss on anybody parade but if you desparetly want ics upgrade your device (like me) and pray fxp and team can get it to work. I have good faith in the team, they are masters at what they do but there is only so far you can take an old device with old hardware etc etc There is much much more to this than just CPU and gpu but other much more tricky things like as I mentioned kernals but also screen Res as ics is designed to work with 1280 x 720, perhaps that's easier to sort I don't know. Put it this way, it wouldn't suprise me if by the time the fxp team get it ported and running there will be newer Os and another Gen of devices and you lot will scream for more. I'm not taking credit from fxp and team, this is just being realistic. I think really this thread should be closed *cue mod intervention*

Follow developemt for android 4.0 here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1309911

Kernel porting for X10 has very big problems.

I have been porting semc kernel 2.6.32 to X10 and almost done(enable booting) without KGSL(hw acceleration) and camera driver.

I'm now starting a PJ to port kernel 3.0 to X10.

Sent from my SO-01C using XDA App

Sent from my X10i using xda premium

Last edited:

scoobysnacks

Jul 10, 2011

backstab is laggy as sh!t on x10.....

The gpu is pretty poor, you can try to deny it all you want, but it is outdated.

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
My ported kernel 2.6.32-9 works very slow because KGSL driver(hw acceleration) can't work.

I'm a beginner about kernel porting.
So it only might be difficult to solve it.

Your doing a great job I'm sure, far more than I could ever dream of trying, I give you credit from taking on such a challenge and wish you the very best of luck! Like I said I'm not trying to step on peoples toes here just trying to keep it realistic for us non developers :)

maddes1402

May 11, 2011
My ported kernel 2.6.32-9 works very slow because KGSL driver(hw acceleration) can't work.

Awesome work, mate! :)
But wouldn´t it be a good idea to work together with some of the other developers like DooMloRD, and Co.? Perhaps this leads faster to a success.

scoobysnacks

Jul 10, 2011
But as I saw somebody post yesterday, can't remember who, I think he was a Japanese dev tsuyo.kou, one of the biggest problems is going to be with the kernal. We have 2.6.29 modded by SE to include teethering and such like, 2.6.29 is very old, they are having problems in just making 2.6.32 and only just been able to get it to boot and nothing else. Ics is based on 3.xx kernals, think about that. If somebody does port it over it will take a very long time and that's if they can even get it to work. I don't mean to sound unoptimistic or piss on anybody parade but if you desparetly want ics upgrade your device (like me) and pray fxp and team can get it to work. I have good faith in the team, they are masters at what they do but there is only so far you can take an old device with old hardware etc etc There is much much more to this than just CPU and gpu but other much more tricky things like as I mentioned kernals but also screen Res as ics is designed to work with 1280 x 720, perhaps that's easier to sort I don't know. Put it this way, it wouldn't suprise me if by the time the fxp team get it ported and running there will be newer Os and another Gen of devices and you lot will scream for more. I'm not taking credit from fxp and team, this is just being realistic. I think really this thread should be closed *cue mod intervention*

Follow developemt for android 4.0 here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1309911

p.s.- ics isn't designed to work at a certain screen res :S

It will be running at all kinds of different resolutions, that's part of the whole point of it

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
p.s.- ics isn't designed to work at a certain screen res :S

It will be running at all kinds of different resolutions, that's part of the whole point of it

Your right there, I was getting kind of carried away there. Obviously an update to ics isn't suddenly going to make your phone have HD resolution, unless of course your name is tripnraver :D I was watching some video all about the nexus, this presentation thing by Google bosses and Samsung boss bloke and it said it was designed to run at HD resolution not exclusively at HD. Meh

scoobysnacks

Jul 10, 2011
Your right there, I was getting kind of carried away there. Obviously an update to ics isn't suddenly going to make your phone have HD resolution, unless of course your name is tripnraver :D I was watching some video all about the nexus, this presentation thing by Google bosses and Samsung boss bloke and it said it was designed to run at HD resolution not exclusively at HD. Meh

Tripnraver to the rescue

Super-twitter-topin24.gif

Amin`

Aug 12, 2011
www.proxypaz.ir
Guys!

Can anyone try to ask J that what's his plan and how much we can hope for fxp team?!

thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

you say everytime: update your phones but there is no much time I had bought a X10 and I cant buy a device every 3 month...I choose android because everybody says android is open source and android for all of people...if I knew this is android that i must upgrade my phone every3month I never did think about android...so I could choose BADA....

by the way if anyone are going to leave x10 ,dont mind...I will release all the 4,5,6kernels and ics to my x10 by myself alone , because I love x10! and plz dont think guys I am TripNRaver!

Last edited:

riginal

Jan 2, 2011
Guys!

Can anyone try to ask J that what's his plan and how much we can hope for fxp team?!

thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

you say everytime: update your phones but there is no much time I had bought a X10 and I cant buy a device every 3 month...I choose android because everybody says android is open source and android for all of people...if I knew this is android that i must upgrade my phone every3month I never did think about android...so I could choose BADA....

by the way if anyone are going to leave x10 ,dont mind...I will release all the 4,5,6kernels and ics to my x10 by myself alone , because I love x10! and plz dont think guys I am TripNRaver!

since when open source & android for everyone means your phone will get updates until the day it dies & won't boot ? since when it means no need to upgrade your phone? and every three months? you mean you bought X10 three months ago? well sorry buddy but if you want to be up to date withe latest OS & bought X10 three months ago you have no one else to blame but yourself, You made a mistake

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
Guys!

thanks!

Dude iv had my x10 since summer 2010, my first and only android so far. Upgrading device really isn't nessesary every 3 months and I don't have the money to either. Thing is official updates from Sony stopped at 2.3.3 which was delivered in the summer. I get the feeling you arrived at the x10 party late as other people are upgrading due to age and specs moving on and a whole host of reasons. How long ago did you get yours?

scoobysnacks

Jul 10, 2011
Dude iv had my x10 since summer 2010, my first and only android so far. Upgrading device really isn't nessesary every 3 months and I don't have the money to either. Thing is official updates from Sony stopped at 2.3.3 which was delivered in the summer. I get the feeling you arrived at the x10 party late as other people are upgrading due to age and specs moving on and a whole host of reasons. How long ago did you get yours?

in his defense though, the constant android updates has posed a huge issue, with a lot of consumers getting screwed.

Something definitely does have to change imo. They need to slow down a little bit after ics.

Otherwise he is right, you basically will need a new phone every few months to even keep up

maddes1402

May 11, 2011
Today I was looking around on XDA what is going on with ICS ports on other devices. First of all I checked devices with similar hardware like the Nexus One and HTC Desire. But when you compare the activity with a newer, popular device like the HTC Desire HD it becomes so much obvious that the main problem isn´t the hardware but more that most devs moved on to these newer devices imo.
For me it is curious that although ICS sources are released for less days and no one could really try it out on older devices you can read statements like this (#42). Somewhere else, when I remember that right, it was another dev of Cyanogenmod said that even at least 512mb RAM and a good GPU could be the minimum requirement. Especially when Google won´t update Nexus One all devices based on the same chipset could possibly been dropped.
I don´t have the knowledge but when I just see how smooth the latest Google Music app runs on the X10 it is hard to believe that FXP team isn´t able to program a smooth CM9 version :confused:

Last edited:

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
in his defense though, the constant android updates has posed a huge issue, with a lot of consumers getting screwed.

Something definitely does have to change imo. They need to slow down a little bit after ics.

Otherwise he is right, you basically will need a new phone every few months to even keep up

I'm affraid I'm going to have to disagree with you there, I think but might be wrong that this person just got an x10 recently, I might be wrong. I'm happy to see android steaming on and yes every few months something big happens but its not complusery to get a new phone every couple of months, around 18 - 24 months is about right, which is about how long a contract lasts and your devices official support for updates carries on with Google and the handset alliance what ever its called for 18 months.

Look at me for example, I'm preordering my nexus and awaiting delivery, and people are on about quadcore in q1 / q2 next year, so by then I wont have the latest and greatest in phone tech anymore and that's just the way the world works espicially in this day and age and being some kind of engineer scooby should know this best of all.

Must we drag this topic out more, really its getting painful....

Reactions: riginal

scoobysnacks

Jul 10, 2011
I'm affraid I'm going to have to disagree with you there, I think but might be wrong that this person just got an x10 recently, I might be wrong. I'm happy to see android steaming on and yes every few months something big happens but its not complusery to get a new phone every couple of months, around 18 - 24 months is about right, which is about how long a contract lasts and your devices official support for updates carries on with Google and the handset alliance what ever its called for 18 months.

Look at me for example, I'm preordering my nexus and awaiting delivery, and people are on about quadcore in q1 / q2 next year, so by then I wont have the latest and greatest in phone tech anymore and that's just the way the world works espicially in this day and age and being some kind of engineer scooby should know this best of all.

Must we drag this topic out more, really its getting painful....

im referring to the average consumer who is buying a phone and seeing no updates whatsoever because android is constantly changing every ten minutes.

I think you totally missed the point of what I wrote. I'm not referring to him,but speaking generally.

A lot of people are spending lots of money on phones only to see them getting left in the dust.

Something has to change, otherwise android is going to fall out of favor with the general public

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

Even with this handset alliance, you might not get the update until 6 months after it is released, and by then two new iterations of android have passed.

This isn't a technological issue, it is moreso limited to android.

Don't get me wrong, I love android it will always be my fave Os, I'm simply saying I can understand why people get frustrated...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got this via PM:

someone said:
    The x10 might be upgraded to ICS too.
    There's an investigation currently and it looks
    like the x10 might get ICS too. Not sure but maybe

For all the haters: yes, it's still a rumor and even if it's true that they're investigating to upgrade it, they still can decide otherwise. I just wanted to let you know that Sony Ericsson didn't forget about the X10 completely.
    I guess we're in the lucky position that the 2011's software is very easy for Sony to port to the X10 and therefore they can try to get some reputation for their improved update policies.

This rumor is coming from the same source that previously announced the Gingerbread update and the first SE dual-core phone "Nozomi" ahead of time, so I'm sure he's not trolling.

So please don't start flaming this post or thread. Everyone can decide for themselves if they want to believe or not. I just thought some of you would be interested and maybe reconsider an upgrade to another phone. (Although I'll probably upgrade to the Galaxy Nexus nonetheless :rolleyes: )

Regards
    qwer23
    If it was due to hardware nobody would bought a X10, there was better or same strong Phones out at that time already for a better price. I just bought my X10 becouse of the UI and Design, if i would wanted the best hardware i would never bought X10. I dont need a good Camera or FB and all this stuff, for me some Games.Network,SMS and Phone is enough, im not that addicted to Phones that i need to do all with it. But discussing this is **** anyway, we all know the hardware of Sony Phones, so if you want fastest hardware then dont buy it, its so simple why discuss that? We all know the new Sony Phones will not beat HTC or Samsung devices, only the Camera maybe but all others things wont, thats nothing new or hidden, all people that have only a little bit knowledge know that so whats the deal? I knew my X10 wouldnt be the fastest Hardware wise, only the Camera and Camera i dont need often so there was actually nothing X10 could offer me, i just took it becouse the style and becouse it doesnt care for me if a app takes 2 or 3 seconds to start as long as its not super slow. If you search fastest Software and Hardware you are totally wrong with a Sony Phone^^

Tripnraver to the rescue

Super-twitter-topin24.gif
    I think he meant that official 2.3.3 wasn't worth it, but rooting and flashing tweaks/custom roms are much better than official updates.

Without official 2.3.3, the custom ROMs we have today would only exist in our imagination, so it's safe to say that it was totally worth it.
    And you need to be in complete denial not to acknowledge that in stock firmwares EVERYTHING works as it should, whereas in custom ROMs there's always "this and that" that doesn't work, and no matter how minor those things could be, the fact remains.