My quick hands on experience with Transformer Prime at GameStop.

Search This thread

fraeone

May 26, 2008
Seattle, WA
How do you feel the Transformer Prime display fares against the ipad 2 display? Does it look colorful and vibrant in a way similar to the ipad 2? Looked at the original transformer display in a store the other day and wasn't all that impressed. Thanks for you input.

I didn't have my iPad with me, but I definitely didn't notice any subdued colors or anything like that. The colors looked good to me as a frequent iPad user.

I did notice the brightness. When in Super IPS+ mode I felt like I was staring at the surface of the sun.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
The display is hands down the best out there of any tablet. Ipad2 display is the same as ipad1 display. The resolution or quality is no better. Not to say that it's not a great display also. I use my ipad1 very frequently everyday whether researching, surfing the web, watching movies, or playing Modern Warfare 3 or Infinity Blade 2. I love how good the iPad display looks but compared to the prime tablet when i messed with it, it was no competition, hands down.

Ipad3 is supposedly coming out with an even better display BUT at the same time tegra3 also supports the same resolution output ipad3 supposedly gonna use. So there will be even better displays down the road using tegra3 also. I think ipad3 will have same processor chipset and just a higher resolution screen. The screen will be only thing that's new with it. New chipset was already brought in with ipad2. Apple history shows once new chipset drops, they run with it for a few versions before coming with something completely new.

Bimboy

Dec 5, 2006
How do you feel the Transformer Prime display fares against the ipad 2 display? Does it look colorful and vibrant in a way similar to the ipad 2? Looked at the original transformer display in a store the other day and wasn't all that impressed. Thanks for you input.

With my hands-on yesterday, the display was in direct sunlight, but shade was a foot away. The screen looked great, and the TF1 and Galaxy tab were washed out sitting next to it. The blacks are deep black, making great contrast, and there's good color representation.

Compared to the iPad2 display, the TF2 is waay better in the sun, with the + mode on. I'd say it's a wash with the IPS+ function disabled.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
With my hands-on yesterday, the display was in direct sunlight, but shade was a foot away. The screen looked great, and the TF1 and Galaxy tab were washed out sitting next to it. The blacks are deep black, making great contrast, and there's good color representation.

Compared to the iPad2 display, the TF2 is waay better in the sun, with the + mode on. I'd say it's a wash with the IPS+ function disabled.

IMO it still was bright as a Mofo and display looked great with ips+ mode off. Anandtech showed it was just as bright as ipad2 with that mode off. Plus prime is higher resolution than ipad2. So prime wins all the way around whether IPS plus mode on or off.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
here is my shizzy vid i made when i had a lil hands on at gamestop

http://youtu.be/wOk9JPtYMA0

I remember seeing your vid. Screen transitions were fast. Plus showed that you connected to wifi hotspot. Some people were worried about not being able to connect that way. They mostly were talking about ad-hoc tethering set up though. Which IMO is too limited compared to most infrastructure tendering methods now. AD-hoc is the reason I immediately returned the archos 7IT. It couldn't connect to my old win mo phone using wifi router. It was ad-hoc n Archos wouldn't recognize it. That's when I got my iPad n everything was gravy from there. as it recognizes Ad-hoc and infrastructure tethering modes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well people, it's official. I got mines preordered at GameStop just now. Put $50 dollars down on it for and guaranteed to get it on Dec. 19th for in store pickup. Yeahhhh!

The display model was off when I saw it. I powered it up and it hasn't been charged n less than 2% battery power left SMH hence the quick hands on..lol. For starters, this is the thinnest tablet I've ever held. It's amazing how thin this is. I'm a tall guy, 6'4 so any tablet really thin to me. But I have an iPad also and this thing is wayy thinner and lighter than it. It felt solid but weird to me considering how thin it was. Thin like a sheet of paper..lol After power up, I feasted my eyes upon the most beautiful and detailed display on a mobile device I've ever seen. This was in regular IPS mode also. I cut on Super IPS+ and this thing is bright and detailed as a Mofo! Swiped through the home screens and it was like slick as oil. The fastest and smoothest screen transitions I've seen. Even faster than my iPad. No signs of slowdown at all swiping through various screens or bringing up menus or apps. I check the about section in settings and it is running honeycomb 3.2.1.

I checked through the apps and saw the games thats been on all the reviews shown on TF Prime. First one I played was RipTide. Now mind you I also have the iPad version and seen tegra2 version also. This tegra3 optimized version has a lot more done to it than some added water and blur affects. This game really looked great compared to other versions. It looked more high quality or detailed. Looked like a regular home console game. The framerate was very fast also compared to my iPad version. Definitely impressed with the improvements on that game.

Then I saw the infamous Glowball game. I started it up and realized the volume was off or down n couldn't hear anything. So I cut the volume up to max. Once level started this thing was loud and clear as a Mofo n I had to cut it down. Too loud for in the store. The graphics and special lighting fx in this game was killer. With the high screen resolution and super IPS+ mode on, this game really popped out the screen. The videos reviewers showed on this can't do this game enough justice. Playing and seeing it in person is amazing to see. Haven't seen any ipad1 or ipad2 games yet that can produce this kind of high quality lighting fx and graphics. This tegra3 has really set the bar high for next generation tablets.

To conclude, truly impressed overall with tablet. Even for the brief moments I messed with it. Still hard to believe how thin it really is and how beautiful and high definition looking the display is. I'd say we have a winner here with the Asus Transformer Prime and I cant wait to pick mines up on the 19th. From GameStop.
    Awesome, glad to see someone say the colors popped off the screen. I was really concerned about this coming from a Xoom which has some of the most bland colors I've seen. Comparing the display to an Ipad2, do the colors look as vibrant and beautiful as on that tablet? I think I'm getting a TF Prime for Christmas, and I'm getting my fiance an Ipad 2... I don't want to give her any bragging rights lol. Thanks.

On paper and in person, the Prime display is clearly the best of all tablets. I've seen ipad2 displays and they are nice but not as nice as what I saw. Plus the prime has a higher screen resolution and uses a more higher quality/advanced IPS display. Ipad2 uses IPS display. The prime uses Super IPS + display. That's 2 grades higher than iPad 2 display. Very rich in details and colors and definitely bright as a Mofo with super IPS+ mode on. Reason ipad2 display colors look vibrant is because the color palette it uses is ver saturated looking. Cartoon looking. The prime has more natural looking colors and it still pops out very much. Almost 3d looking cuz it looks so good n clear.

I didn't have my iPad with me, but I definitely didn't notice any subdued colors or anything like that. The colors looked good to me as a frequent iPad user.

I did notice the brightness. When in Super IPS+ mode I felt like I was staring at the surface of the sun.