[XT860 and ?me863?]Custom Roms(w/flashable data fix)

Search This thread

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
Looks like custom roms might finally be here for the xt860 (and possibly me863, read Update4 below for more info). Thanks to Hashcode for all the work he's done for all of us building safestrap, porting cm7 and everything, daywalker04 for uploading the Brazil Retail sbf, Endroid for being the first to try it with a normal bootstrap and now I'm confirming it working with Hashcodes newest safestrap(as well as his old ones, I originally tested w/v0.92 and worked my way up to current). I Just booted cm7 off /preinstall.

As usualy, please keep in mind that neither I or anyone else will take any responsibility for anything that happens to your phone through use of these files.
IF/When you enable and disable safestrap remember to format data/cache, causes bootlooping for me if I don't.

Warning, if you do this the way things are now you will not be able to get back to your bell software!! Only do this is you are absolutely sure you know what you're doing!!!!!!!!

You may have to be on the brazillian retail rom for this to work! You can find it in This Thread. You're looking for Fastboot package for UMTS XT860 Retail Brasil. At this point in time you can't get back to bell stock so again, it's at you're own risk!!

UPDATE: Thanks Rick2 for the recovery fix that allows us to swap between safestrap on the fly. Now when I need data I can get it anywhere. Works with Hashcodes newest safestrap (1.06).
Go here to thank him and get the patch!

Update2: I've attached a CWM flashable zip that I've used to successfully get 3g working on Liberty and Mavs Rom, it does not work on cm7 but will hopefully work on other verizon based roms. It pushes the stock libmoto_ril.so(from the brazil retail), a new apns-xml.conf and a slightly edited build.prop(just made it en/US). I've had it cause the phone to fc loop if I installed it on an existing rom and didn't factory reset.

Update3: Watching this thread for info about me863 I think but according to that thread a user has flashed the brazil retail to his me863 and is trying to get data working

Update4: I've reworked the data patch to make it more universal. It should work on me863 providing safestrap runs on your phone. The patch will now copy files from /systemorig so you'll be using matching kernel/libs etc rather than using generic xt860 files. It also makes backups of the original files in the same location (just adds a .bak extension). This new patch IS SAFESTRAP ONLY. Huge huge thanks to Adamogle!!! If it weren't for him I'd still be banging my head up against the wall and no one would be using this patch. You may have to format data/cache, I left it out of the patch so everyone can test (if you phone goes into a force-crash loop then reboot and clear data/cache). Once I get confirmation of this working (or not) on the me863 I'll fix the thread again. I've left the old data patch(renamed as fit) as well in case anyone runs into troubles. Still not a cm7/9 patch, if one comes about it will get it's own thread but it works on all other custom roms based on motorola firmware.

if you see this and you're like "yes, finally some progress on the xt860!! Where do I donate???!?!!" You do that on Hashcodes website, it's ALL his hard work, I just basically wrote you a little story and pooled some files together. He really deserves it, he's working around the clock right now on cm9, seriously around the clock. Of course you can feel free to click the "Thank" button on this post if you like using my data patch :rolleyes:

1./ Flash Brazil retail sbf from this thread

2./ root with Zerg from this thread. For some reason v3 kept tossing errors, v2 worked first try.

3./ install safestrap or whatever bootstrap (safestrap from Hashcodes site http://hash-of-codes.blogspot.com/

4./ profit (follow the directions to install a safestrap rom
boot recovery
Enable safestrap in options
Factory reset (formats data & cache)
Mounts > format system
Install your rom
Install my 3gfix
Reboot and profit
)

Again, my patch doesn't work on cm7 at the moment. Sorry Hashcode and everyone but I figured we'd be better off shooting for a known working rom. I'll update the post as I and other users test more roms. Thx thing on a spring for providing the patch "template", every time I threw one together and put it on my phone it turned out to be corrupt somehow so I just removed the files from your data fix and shoved in my own.

Attachments

• Safestrap_data_patch.zip
    189.1 KB · Views: 621
  • old_xt860_data_patch.zip
    349 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
Thanks Willis I'll try that fix tonight. I'll try some of the other custom roms too see if any work. Probably give safestrap a whirl too

Beamed by invisible waves from my rooted xt860

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
I gotta say after months of watching customs roms and dev for the xt862 this is pretty exciting. Does wifi data work on cm7? I would assume if the issue is just with apn. I know its not the intended purpose but I may use safestrap as a dual boot, run custom roms at home in safe mode and switch back to Brazil retail when I need 3g

static416

Oct 9, 2010
Toronto
This is awesome.

Great work guys. As soon as this gets a little more stable I'm going to flash it onto my gf's phone, work around these bugs that came in the stock FW.

Accophox

Nov 27, 2010
Edmonton
Awesome. Been looking forward to this day. Not jumping on the train just yet, but I'm sure that once the 3G bug is ironed out, I'll be flashing. :)

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
does it work with me863?

Try it out, you can always sbf back to stock if it doesn't work.

I gotta say after months of watching customs roms and dev for the xt862 this is pretty exciting. Does wifi data work on cm7? I would assume if the issue is just with apn. I know its not the intended purpose but I may use safestrap as a dual boot, run custom roms at home in safe mode and switch back to Brazil retail when I need 3g

Wifi works, I'm pretty sure it is an apn issue. Think I need to find my old framework-res.

Last edited:

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
From the bell rom? I have that at home if you need

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
Did you try this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=19981520

Yeah, I tried that and the gsm data patch. I'm having trouble adding/editing apns etc, can't join networks because "Your SIM card does not allow a connection to this network" etc. This is with cm7 and liberty. I have liberty on my safestrap now, running. I can get sms, make calls etc, wifi works. I'll firgure the rest out. If I want to go back to stock for data or something I just turn safestrap off and do an advanced restore of my /data partition to my backup from after installing the brazil retail.

Last edited:

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
I can't seem to make this work willis, i adb pushed those files to /preinstall but i still get constant FC of com.android.phone the only thing that makes it not do that is removing the sim. i'm confused

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
I can't seem to make this work willis, i adb pushed those files to /preinstall but i still get constant FC of com.android.phone the only thing that makes it not do that is removing the sim. i'm confused

I was gonna put together a flashable patch earlier but had some things come up and ended up in a hospital waiting room all night(next time I'll bring my laptop >.<). I'll toss it together asap and update the first post as long as I can flash it/it works. I should have mentioned (this is the confusing part) I pushed those files before enabling safestrap so /preinstall was /system if you get what I mean.

Last edited:

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
For CM7 to work correctly on GSM, I need to edit the init.mapphone_umts.rc file to setup all of the services the right way.

TBH, I never even looked twice at that file because I thought there wasn't anyone using it.

*blush*

Glad to see the XT860 crowd finally get some fun. :))

Reactions: Accophox and _LTB_

_LTB_

Oct 3, 2011
Thanks Hashcode for putting so much effort into it, it's highly appreciated.
We were feeling a little bit left out. ;)

Accophox

Nov 27, 2010
Edmonton
Well, if you can get a version of CM7 working before I start having to study for exams, would be greatly appreciated. :)

But, if not, I'm sure I'll just divert time from studying to testing. :)

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
Willis, I wondered if such was the case, I had safe system enabled and tried adb push to both /preinstall and /system as I wasn't sure how adb would recognize them in safe system. I also was pushing while in recovery

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
For CM7 to work correctly on GSM, I need to edit the init.mapphone_umts.rc file to setup all of the services the right way.

TBH, I never even looked twice at that file because I thought there wasn't anyone using it.

*blush*

After the little bit of testing I've done over the last day or two with different custom roms it looks like we're(xt860 and me863 users I image) going to have to have (or really really want) a patch we can flash against any custom rom to get our data and sometimes maybe phone up(or to keep it from crashing). Haven't been able to get 3g up (though the 1 method I did not try was to crash the phone through the dev tools in cm7 as was mentioned in another thread) on any rom yet. Phone/text works right off the bat w/liberty, mavs etc etc.

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
Narrowed down why Safestrap Recovery would only boot if a USB cable was connected on the XT860; it had to do with a line in the init.rc file executed when booting into recovery:

Code:
write /dev/usb_device_mode msc_adb

As well as a line in the postbootrecovery.sh script which accomplishes essentially the same thing, except via an echo command.

Obviously, we could just comment those lines out, but then we're left without adb in recovery without messy changes each time we want it. So, I whipped up a little script that checks if there is a USB connection and if so, run the previous necessary commands to enable adb and if not, then leave them out. End result: Safestrap Recovery is working like a charm now. No more need to worry about tinkering with my phone without a computer nearby to get into the recovery... :)

I attached the modified recovery.zip, just replace the original one located at /system/etc/safestrap/recovery.zip with the attached one and you should be good to go.

Attachments

• recovery.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 395

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Looks like custom roms might finally be here for the xt860 (and possibly me863, read Update4 below for more info). Thanks to Hashcode for all the work he's done for all of us building safestrap, porting cm7 and everything, daywalker04 for uploading the Brazil Retail sbf, Endroid for being the first to try it with a normal bootstrap and now I'm confirming it working with Hashcodes newest safestrap(as well as his old ones, I originally tested w/v0.92 and worked my way up to current). I Just booted cm7 off /preinstall.

As usualy, please keep in mind that neither I or anyone else will take any responsibility for anything that happens to your phone through use of these files.
    IF/When you enable and disable safestrap remember to format data/cache, causes bootlooping for me if I don't.

Warning, if you do this the way things are now you will not be able to get back to your bell software!! Only do this is you are absolutely sure you know what you're doing!!!!!!!!

You may have to be on the brazillian retail rom for this to work! You can find it in This Thread. You're looking for Fastboot package for UMTS XT860 Retail Brasil. At this point in time you can't get back to bell stock so again, it's at you're own risk!!

UPDATE: Thanks Rick2 for the recovery fix that allows us to swap between safestrap on the fly. Now when I need data I can get it anywhere. Works with Hashcodes newest safestrap (1.06).
    Go here to thank him and get the patch!

Update2: I've attached a CWM flashable zip that I've used to successfully get 3g working on Liberty and Mavs Rom, it does not work on cm7 but will hopefully work on other verizon based roms. It pushes the stock libmoto_ril.so(from the brazil retail), a new apns-xml.conf and a slightly edited build.prop(just made it en/US). I've had it cause the phone to fc loop if I installed it on an existing rom and didn't factory reset.

Update3: Watching this thread for info about me863 I think but according to that thread a user has flashed the brazil retail to his me863 and is trying to get data working

Update4: I've reworked the data patch to make it more universal. It should work on me863 providing safestrap runs on your phone. The patch will now copy files from /systemorig so you'll be using matching kernel/libs etc rather than using generic xt860 files. It also makes backups of the original files in the same location (just adds a .bak extension). This new patch IS SAFESTRAP ONLY. Huge huge thanks to Adamogle!!! If it weren't for him I'd still be banging my head up against the wall and no one would be using this patch. You may have to format data/cache, I left it out of the patch so everyone can test (if you phone goes into a force-crash loop then reboot and clear data/cache). Once I get confirmation of this working (or not) on the me863 I'll fix the thread again. I've left the old data patch(renamed as fit) as well in case anyone runs into troubles. Still not a cm7/9 patch, if one comes about it will get it's own thread but it works on all other custom roms based on motorola firmware.

if you see this and you're like "yes, finally some progress on the xt860!! Where do I donate???!?!!" You do that on Hashcodes website, it's ALL his hard work, I just basically wrote you a little story and pooled some files together. He really deserves it, he's working around the clock right now on cm9, seriously around the clock. Of course you can feel free to click the "Thank" button on this post if you like using my data patch :rolleyes:

1./ Flash Brazil retail sbf from this thread

2./ root with Zerg from this thread. For some reason v3 kept tossing errors, v2 worked first try.

3./ install safestrap or whatever bootstrap (safestrap from Hashcodes site http://hash-of-codes.blogspot.com/

4./ profit (follow the directions to install a safestrap rom
    boot recovery
    Enable safestrap in options
    Factory reset (formats data & cache)
    Mounts > format system
    Install your rom
    Install my 3gfix
    Reboot and profit
    )

Again, my patch doesn't work on cm7 at the moment. Sorry Hashcode and everyone but I figured we'd be better off shooting for a known working rom. I'll update the post as I and other users test more roms. Thx thing on a spring for providing the patch "template", every time I threw one together and put it on my phone it turned out to be corrupt somehow so I just removed the files from your data fix and shoved in my own.
    Narrowed down why Safestrap Recovery would only boot if a USB cable was connected on the XT860; it had to do with a line in the init.rc file executed when booting into recovery:

Code:
    write /dev/usb_device_mode msc_adb

As well as a line in the postbootrecovery.sh script which accomplishes essentially the same thing, except via an echo command.

Obviously, we could just comment those lines out, but then we're left without adb in recovery without messy changes each time we want it. So, I whipped up a little script that checks if there is a USB connection and if so, run the previous necessary commands to enable adb and if not, then leave them out. End result: Safestrap Recovery is working like a charm now. No more need to worry about tinkering with my phone without a computer nearby to get into the recovery... :)

I attached the modified recovery.zip, just replace the original one located at /system/etc/safestrap/recovery.zip with the attached one and you should be good to go.

*blush*

thats how i'm doing it, as a dual boot. My 2.3.5 brazil moto blur is my non safe, since i know it works and am using safe for custom roms, i just downloaded a bunch and am going to give them all a whirl. I'll be posting a thread with my thoughts on them on the xt860, which worked and which didn't, battery life etc
    Ever since Alpha 4, I've found that if I substitute my XT860's stock (right now I'm running the latest iusacell fastboot files) libmoto_ril.so library for the XT862 one included in Hashcode's package and tweak the build.prop file a bit, I can get UMTS data... for about 2 seconds. The indicator in the status bar lights up briefly then quickly vanishes.

The good news is that my SIM card is now detected right away and I have a phone number/IMEI showing in *#*#4636#*#*; no more warnings that the SIM wasn't detected are great progress.

I've been digging around in my spare time and I think it's probably a small bug, something to do with DataCallState.java (and certainly more). I finally got around to getting a build environment for ICS setup and when I get a chance I want to get my hands dirty in the framework to see why the link properties are disappearing for the ppp0 interface almost immediately after seemingly being set in.

I'll be sure to report anything I come up with, I'm dying to get CM9 with 3G data going!

PS: Here's my build.prop; most notable is the ril features property change from 0x30E to 0x306 (will cause f/c in com.android.phone if you don't use the proper libmoto_ril library, and a few gsm specific additions.