[GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus Battery Life [12/27/11]

Search This thread

Tubes6al4v

Oct 13, 2009
This guide is a work in progress, please contribute to it so we can have a central place for battery info!

Table of Contents:
1. Quick Tips
2. Monitoring Battery Usage
3.The Nitty-Gritty Details
4.Frequently Asked Questions
5.References
6.Changelog

Quick Tips

NOTE: As with many devices in their early days, there seems to be a few bugs needing to be worked out. Some of which include:
  • High "Android OS" Battery % usage. Possible remedies include settings->Wifi->Advanced(menu)->Keep Wifi on ALWAYS when sleeping; Trying alternative kernels from the dev section; although 4.0.3 may have some improvements, early leaks are not yeilding substantial changes.
  • High "Media Server" battery % usage when using a media app with audio, video, etc.
  • High Preset voltage table in kernel can be fixed with UC Kernels, but proceed cautiously.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=22878

Battery Capacities. NOTE: The batteries are NOT interchangeable between GSM and LTE!

GSM: 1750mah
LTE: 1850mah
LTE extended battery: 2100mah
GSM extended battery: 2000mah

Settings that use us battery:

• Screen brightness: Using the lowest comfortable setting will save a good bit of battery, espescially on such a large screen. App LogGraph can be used to change auto-brightness levels
  • Haptic feedback: Switch this setting off (Settings->Sound->Vibrate on touch). You may need to turn this off in alternative keyboards. Vibrations on button press, unlock, etc will use power for the vibrating motor. This includes vibrating for a call or text.
  • Button Sounds: Switch this setting off (Settings->Sound->"Dial pad touch tones"; "Touch Sounds"; "Screen Lock Sounds"). Speakers are small electro-magnets and require energy to move, consuming a small amount of power.
  • Sync: The more frequently your apps sync the more energy will be consumed. Turn off unnecessary syncs and reduce excessive syncing (Settings->Accounts & Sync->...) Alternative apps such as Juice Defender and Tasker can be used to control sync settings. Some ROMs are now incorporating this feature as well.
  • Antennas: The short of it: Use Wifi as often as you can, it scans for a connection less often than mobile data. BT, and GPS antennas use very little power when idling. This is the most often confused aspect of battery life. Read more in the "Nitty Gritty" section.
  • Live wallpaper: Requires greater CPU usage to run, and currently ICS lags in this CPU processing, as demonstrated when switching an older phone over to ICS and finding lag in the wallpaper.
  • Widgets: Higher refresh rates, sync intervals and greater changes in the widgets will consume energy more rapidly.
  • AMOLED Screen consume less power when displaying black.
  • Auto Rotate uses greater CPU and changes screen.

Apps for reducing battery usage:

Juice Defender - Very easy interface for switching wifi/bt/3g/etc on and off to save battery. Great first start. WARNING: Some users report greater battery consumption when USING juice defender. This may be due to certain settings they have or the app itself.

Tasker -Much more advanced, and less user friendly application for automating processes on android. Can be used to closely control the behavior of your phone.

Last edited:

Tubes6al4v

Oct 13, 2009
Table of Contents:
1. Quick Tips
5.References
6.Changelog

Battery Monitoring

Standard Android OS Battery Usage Utility
Settings -> Battery

When entering this section, you will see two distinct sections:
  • Battery % graph, which shows the amount of battery used since unplugged, as well as a time on battery.
  • Individual App/Process battery usage. The Percentage here corresponds to the amount of battery used by the App/Process of the already used battery. NOT the total battery capacity.

Clicking on a process or app will bring up more details on that process. Some definitions used are as follows:
  • CPU Total - Total CPU usage in time
  • CPU Foreground Total - Total CPU usage while app is visible to user
  • Keep Awake - Total time app prevented phone from going into “Deep Sleep”
  • Screen on Time - Time screen was active (duh...)
  • Time on - Time process has been running

Battery Monitor Widget
I highly recommend this app. It gives you a wealth of information.
  • Battery % usage over very long periods of time
  • Battery voltage recording
  • Battery drain (mah and watts)
  • Battery capacity estimates (both in time and mah)
  • Battery conditioning status
  • Support for multiple batteries
  • Estimates for various conditions (watching video, audio, games, etc)

CPU Spy
I use this for one purpose: to see how much time my phone spends in each CPU frequency. And more importantly, how much time it is in deep sleep. Deep Sleep is the condition in which the phone suspends as much activity as it can. This is the lowest consumption state your phone can be in... besides being off :p

Last edited:

Tubes6al4v

Oct 13, 2009
Table of Contents:
1. Quick Tips
5.References
6.Changelog

The Nitty Gritty

The key here is to think back to physics class. We have an energy storage device, and a few devices that consume energy and varying rates (power - NRG/Time)

Kernel Stuff

Adjusting Clock Speed - CPU and GPU frequenxcies will directly effect energy consumption when in use. That is to say, if your phone is just idling with the screen on, the CPU is using very little power. Much more is being eaten by the screen. There are two approaches to saving power in clock speed, both of which aim to reduce the time spent at higher frequencies.:
  • Reducing maximum clock speed.
  • Using cpu governer that keep the CPU at lower frequencies for longer periods of time. Power save, conservative, smartass, etc take different theories as how to achieve the best ballance between performance and energy efficiency.

[TIP] Use CPU spy to check much time the CPU spends in each frequency, and more importantly in deep sleep.

Adjustiing CPU Voltages - Using a kernel with an unlocked voltage table and setcpu to specify voltages for each individual frequency can lead to significant power savings from the CPU. When experimenting with voltages, do not check “set at boot” until you have established stable voltages.

Suggested Voltage testing: Coming soon...

Antennas

Wifi
  • Consumes more energy per time when trasmitting than mobile data, BUT...
  • Takes less time to transmit data, espescially large files, so it consumes overall less energy.
  • Wifi scans for a connection and pings the router less often than mobile data, thus consuming less energy at idle

Bluetooth
  • Consumes a small amount of power at idle to connect to new devices
  • Scanning for deveices consumes more energy
  • While connected, very little energy is consumed unless data is transmitted.

GPS
  • Unless an application specifically invokes the GPS antenna, it will not consume power
  • Using constant GPS updates (as in Navigation apps) will consume a large amount of power
  • Some apps will have bugs in them which will keep GPS on indefinitely. Try reinstalling those applications first, then remove if necessary.

Mobile Data
  • 2G antennas consume the LEAST amount of energy at idle, but because they take so long to trasmit data, they can kill your battery.
  • 3G antennas are Ok at idle, but take less time to transmit data, so are the best all around for traveling around metropilitan areas.
  • 4G Antennas are FAST, but consume the most power. Best to leave these off when in transit, and used for stationary, stable connections
  • All Antennas consume much more power idling in areas of bad reception. So if you know you're going somewhere with poor reception, and don't need data, turn it off until needed (Settings->Wireless&Networks ->More ->Mobile Networks-> "Data Enabled"; "Data Roming" OFF; "Use Only 2G Networks"

Radios

Radios control how your phone connects to the mobile network. Specifically which proticols to use in which regions as well as how often to try to reconnect. This can lead to better or worse battery, signal, and network speeds.

Code:
NOTE: The Baseband is defined by 3 sets of codes. The first two are the Country Code, the next 2 denote the Year and Month (KK = 2011 November) and the last number denotes the Revision.

Country Code:

CE---> Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands
DC---> Thailand
DD---> India
DX---> Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam
DZ---> Malaysia, Singapore
JA---> South Africa
JC---> Algeria, Morocco, Nigeria, South Africa, Tunisia
JP---> Arabic, Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Morocco, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Syria
JV---> Tunisia, Turkey
UG---> North America
UH---> Latin America, The Caribbean
XE--->	Bulgaria, Estonia, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, Ukraine
XX---> Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, United Kingdom
XW---> Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Nordic, Spain, United Kingdom
ZC---> China, Hong Kong
ZH---> Hong Kong
ZS---> China, Hong Kong
ZT---> Taiwan

Last edited:
Reactions: HkDng

Tubes6al4v

Oct 13, 2009
Table of Contents:
1. Quick Tips
5.References
6.Changelog

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I just flashed a new rom or update, could that be the cause of battery issues?
A: Absolutely! A bad download, experimental features, or even settings that are not friendly with your device can greatly impact your battery life.

Q: What battery life should I expect out of my device?
A: That level can vary widely by usage. Generally, screen on time of 4+ hours is considered good.

Last edited:

Tubes6al4v

Oct 13, 2009
Changelog

Code:
12/19/11 Basic Guide structure, info, etc
12/27/11 Added notes for current GNex issues; updated Nitty Gritty w/ antennas; added guides for settings.

Last edited:

wanderfowl

Sep 22, 2011
Very nice thread. You might want to mention JuiceDefender as well, as that's a really useful utility too.

matt2053

Dec 17, 2010
Clearwater, FL
I think this should be mentioned:

USE WIFI!!!

Using 3G uses about double the battery of wifi. Using 4G uses about triple the battery of wifi. If there is wifi near you, use it! Use wifi at work and at home if at all possible.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

wanderfowl

Sep 22, 2011
For what its worth, my preliminary experiments seem to be showing that on the Galaxy Nexus, JuiceDefender uses more battery than it saves. FYI

Sal Khan

Jan 17, 2009
Not that it'll mean much, but Wi-Fi is the battery saver on this phone for me.

Light use all day, screen at 100% (which I turn off manually every time before putting it down)
E
verything on but bluetooth

Did some MP3 playback (2 hours), Lots of Tweetdeck, some maps - all while actually NOT on wifi (about 3 hours total) - the rest of the time I was at home.

I got about 18 hours before the phone shut off from a dead battery. The same without Wifi with 3G only would net me 8'ish. With 4G about 6ish - all with screen set to Auto.

So my casual and un-scienitific observation for my phone shows that there is something to be said about using WiFI instead of cellular service. I'll try and narrow it down further this week since I'm on vacation.

Tubes6al4v

Oct 13, 2009
I think this should be mentioned:

USE WIFI!!!

Using 3G uses about double the battery of wifi. Using 4G uses about triple the battery of wifi. If there is wifi near you, use it! Use wifi at work and at home if at all possible.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
Absolutely! Added a note for it, and a section in "Nitty Gritty" about all the antennas.
You should also mention this on-going issue with battery life:

Added, thank you!

For what its worth, my preliminary experiments seem to be showing that on the Galaxy Nexus, JuiceDefender uses more battery than it saves. FYI
I had the same experience, but I like Tasker for finer grain control anyway. The main thing to be weary of is Location-based settings. Tasker has a guide called "Location Without Tears" to explain it.

is there any way to turn off the media server?
Not currently. You could freeze it through titanium backup, but that would break a bunch of apps. Some devs are working on fixes for this and Android OS

my battery is very inconsistent and at times I have horrendous drain
All Three attached photos show pretty good battery life. Keep in mind: for a device early in its development, 12 hours is great!

Not that it'll mean much, but Wi-Fi is the battery saver on this phone for me.

Light use all day, screen at 100% (which I turn off manually every time before putting it down)
Everything on but bluetooth

Did some MP3 playback (2 hours), Lots of Tweetdeck, some maps - all while actually NOT on wifi (about 3 hours total) - the rest of the time I was at home.

I got about 18 hours before the phone shut off from a dead battery. The same without Wifi with 3G only would net me 8'ish. With 4G about 6ish - all with screen set to Auto.

So my casual and un-scienitific observation for my phone shows that there is something to be said about using WiFI instead of cellular service. I'll try and narrow it down further this week since I'm on vacation.

Thank you for the perspective. I've added some sections referencing these issues.

cyriak

Oct 10, 2010
I've been really surprised with the reviews about the battery life. So far I got the phone for a month ( in UK) and battery life is pretty good.

I have sync accounts, use the phone moderately (about 3 to 4 hours with screen on per day), no battery saving app or anything.

My daily routine is to unplug my phone from it's charger a 7am and every day I end up at night around 11pm with a battery around 40%... Some day I will forgot to plug it at night and be able to have it last almost for the entire next day (being careful though)
first week wasn't so good but after a few days battery improved significantly.

to me the key to save tons of battery life was to set the screen brightness to the second lowest level. It's really bright enough to my taste and literally since then I never got the phone to drain off within 20 hours after a full charge.

Also I have the wifi always on as mentioned earlier on the thread.

JOHNGAETANO

Jun 3, 2010
Ohio
I have the GSM Nexus. I have had the phone for 1 week. My phone for phone calls, which drains the battery pretty quickly has not been real heavy as of late, but I have been typically seeing a 3% drop per hour of use. So right now I am at 78%, and have been up for 6h 48m.

Overall I am very happy with my battery life.

JOHN

repvik

Oct 19, 2007
The key here is to think back to physics class. We have an energy storage device, and a few devices that consume energy and varying rates (power - NRG/Time)

Is this really a good idea? Consider the following:
Higher clock speed means getting things done quicker. If the phone is running at 1400MHz with a voltage of 1225mV for one second, instead of running two seconds at 700MHz with a voltage of 900mV, what will demand the most energy?

(Voltages are the ones I'm using on my OC/UV'd Nexus, not the stock ones which are *way* high)

I'd rather focus on lowering the CPU voltage as low as it goes without instability than waste time with a slow phone ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is a work in progress, please contribute to it so we can have a central place for battery info!

Table of Contents:
    1. Quick Tips
    5.References
    6.Changelog

Quick Tips

NOTE: As with many devices in their early days, there seems to be a few bugs needing to be worked out. Some of which include:
    • High "Android OS" Battery % usage. Possible remedies include settings->Wifi->Advanced(menu)->Keep Wifi on ALWAYS when sleeping; Trying alternative kernels from the dev section; although 4.0.3 may have some improvements, early leaks are not yeilding substantial changes.
    • High "Media Server" battery % usage when using a media app with audio, video, etc.
    • High Preset voltage table in kernel can be fixed with UC Kernels, but proceed cautiously.

Battery Capacities. NOTE: The batteries are NOT interchangeable between GSM and LTE!

GSM: 1750mah
    LTE: 1850mah
    LTE extended battery: 2100mah
    GSM extended battery: 2000mah

Settings that use us battery:

• Screen brightness: Using the lowest comfortable setting will save a good bit of battery, espescially on such a large screen. App LogGraph can be used to change auto-brightness levels
    • Haptic feedback: Switch this setting off (Settings->Sound->Vibrate on touch). You may need to turn this off in alternative keyboards. Vibrations on button press, unlock, etc will use power for the vibrating motor. This includes vibrating for a call or text.
    • Button Sounds: Switch this setting off (Settings->Sound->"Dial pad touch tones"; "Touch Sounds"; "Screen Lock Sounds"). Speakers are small electro-magnets and require energy to move, consuming a small amount of power.
    • Sync: The more frequently your apps sync the more energy will be consumed. Turn off unnecessary syncs and reduce excessive syncing (Settings->Accounts & Sync->...) Alternative apps such as Juice Defender and Tasker can be used to control sync settings. Some ROMs are now incorporating this feature as well.
    • Antennas: The short of it: Use Wifi as often as you can, it scans for a connection less often than mobile data. BT, and GPS antennas use very little power when idling. This is the most often confused aspect of battery life. Read more in the "Nitty Gritty" section.
    • Live wallpaper: Requires greater CPU usage to run, and currently ICS lags in this CPU processing, as demonstrated when switching an older phone over to ICS and finding lag in the wallpaper.
    • Widgets: Higher refresh rates, sync intervals and greater changes in the widgets will consume energy more rapidly.
    • AMOLED Screen consume less power when displaying black.
    • Auto Rotate uses greater CPU and changes screen.

Apps for reducing battery usage:

Juice Defender - Very easy interface for switching wifi/bt/3g/etc on and off to save battery. Great first start. WARNING: Some users report greater battery consumption when USING juice defender. This may be due to certain settings they have or the app itself.

Tasker -Much more advanced, and less user friendly application for automating processes on android. Can be used to closely control the behavior of your phone.
    Table of Contents:
    1. Quick Tips
    5.References
    6.Changelog

Battery Monitoring

Standard Android OS Battery Usage Utility
    Settings -> Battery

When entering this section, you will see two distinct sections:
    • Battery % graph, which shows the amount of battery used since unplugged, as well as a time on battery.
    • Individual App/Process battery usage. The Percentage here corresponds to the amount of battery used by the App/Process of the already used battery. NOT the total battery capacity.

Clicking on a process or app will bring up more details on that process. Some definitions used are as follows:
    • CPU Total - Total CPU usage in time
    • CPU Foreground Total - Total CPU usage while app is visible to user
    • Keep Awake - Total time app prevented phone from going into “Deep Sleep”
    • Screen on Time - Time screen was active (duh...)
    • Time on - Time process has been running

Battery Monitor Widget
    I highly recommend this app. It gives you a wealth of information.
    • Battery % usage over very long periods of time
    • Battery voltage recording
    • Battery drain (mah and watts)
    • Battery capacity estimates (both in time and mah)
    • Battery conditioning status
    • Support for multiple batteries
    • Estimates for various conditions (watching video, audio, games, etc)

CPU Spy
    I use this for one purpose: to see how much time my phone spends in each CPU frequency. And more importantly, how much time it is in deep sleep. Deep Sleep is the condition in which the phone suspends as much activity as it can. This is the lowest consumption state your phone can be in... besides being off :p
    Table of Contents:
    1. Quick Tips
    5.References
    6.Changelog

The Nitty Gritty

Kernel Stuff

Adjusting Clock Speed - CPU and GPU frequenxcies will directly effect energy consumption when in use. That is to say, if your phone is just idling with the screen on, the CPU is using very little power. Much more is being eaten by the screen. There are two approaches to saving power in clock speed, both of which aim to reduce the time spent at higher frequencies.:
    • Using cpu governer that keep the CPU at lower frequencies for longer periods of time. Power save, conservative, smartass, etc take different theories as how to achieve the best ballance between performance and energy efficiency.

[TIP] Use CPU spy to check much time the CPU spends in each frequency, and more importantly in deep sleep.

Adjustiing CPU Voltages - Using a kernel with an unlocked voltage table and setcpu to specify voltages for each individual frequency can lead to significant power savings from the CPU. When experimenting with voltages, do not check “set at boot” until you have established stable voltages.

Suggested Voltage testing: Coming soon...

Antennas

Wifi
    • Consumes more energy per time when trasmitting than mobile data, BUT...
    • Takes less time to transmit data, espescially large files, so it consumes overall less energy.
    • Wifi scans for a connection and pings the router less often than mobile data, thus consuming less energy at idle

Bluetooth
    • Consumes a small amount of power at idle to connect to new devices
    • Scanning for deveices consumes more energy
    • While connected, very little energy is consumed unless data is transmitted.

GPS
    • Unless an application specifically invokes the GPS antenna, it will not consume power
    • Using constant GPS updates (as in Navigation apps) will consume a large amount of power
    • Some apps will have bugs in them which will keep GPS on indefinitely. Try reinstalling those applications first, then remove if necessary.

Mobile Data
    • 2G antennas consume the LEAST amount of energy at idle, but because they take so long to trasmit data, they can kill your battery.
    • 3G antennas are Ok at idle, but take less time to transmit data, so are the best all around for traveling around metropilitan areas.
    • 4G Antennas are FAST, but consume the most power. Best to leave these off when in transit, and used for stationary, stable connections
    • All Antennas consume much more power idling in areas of bad reception. So if you know you're going somewhere with poor reception, and don't need data, turn it off until needed (Settings->Wireless&Networks ->More ->Mobile Networks-> "Data Enabled"; "Data Roming" OFF; "Use Only 2G Networks"

Radios

Radios control how your phone connects to the mobile network. Specifically which proticols to use in which regions as well as how often to try to reconnect. This can lead to better or worse battery, signal, and network speeds.

Code:
    NOTE: The Baseband is defined by 3 sets of codes. The first two are the Country Code, the next 2 denote the Year and Month (KK = 2011 November) and the last number denotes the Revision.

Country Code:

CE---> Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands
    DC---> Thailand
    DD---> India
    DX---> Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam
    DZ---> Malaysia, Singapore
    JA---> South Africa
    JC---> Algeria, Morocco, Nigeria, South Africa, Tunisia
    JP---> Arabic, Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Morocco, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Syria
    JV---> Tunisia, Turkey
    UG---> North America
    UH---> Latin America, The Caribbean
    XE--->	Bulgaria, Estonia, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, Ukraine
    XX---> Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, United Kingdom
    XW---> Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Nordic, Spain, United Kingdom
    ZC---> China, Hong Kong
    ZH---> Hong Kong
    ZS---> China, Hong Kong
    ZT---> Taiwan
    Table of Contents:
    1. Quick Tips
    5.References
    6.Changelog

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I just flashed a new rom or update, could that be the cause of battery issues?
    A: Absolutely! A bad download, experimental features, or even settings that are not friendly with your device can greatly impact your battery life.

Q: What battery life should I expect out of my device?
    A: That level can vary widely by usage. Generally, screen on time of 4+ hours is considered good.