[Q] What makes it a "Nexus Device" now?

Search This thread

carnagey

Jun 15, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
Ok so I remember the Nexus 1 and the Nexus S.

I THOUGHT those phones

1. Came rooted
2. Got updates direct from Google and you didn't have to wait for your carrier to update.
3. Had no carrier "Bloatware" on it
4. Carrier had no say what was pre-installed on it.

I got my Galaxy Nexus the 2nd day it was out. First things I read in the forums are:

1. How to root it
2. There was an update coming out.. from Verizon.. wait for it...
3. There are 2 Verizon branded apps pre-installed on the phone
4. Verizon made Google remove Google wallet for "security issues"

So... now I am wondering...... what exactly makes this a NEXUS device??

I THOUGHT those phones

1. Came rooted
2. Got updates direct from Google and you didn't have to wait for your carrier to update.

I got my Galaxy Nexus the 2nd day it was out. First things I read in the forums are:

1. How to root it

1. No Nexus ones came stock rooted. NONE.
2. Even if the update comes from Google, it still needs to pass through the carrier. That applied with the original Nexus One and Nexus S on T-Mobile.
3. Click disable.
4. Read more, it's not that.
5. Go return the phone and stop complaining.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: Ves

Enhanced

Sep 18, 2010

I THOUGHT those phones

1. Came rooted

1. How to root it

If you're on this site, points 2 to 4 makes no difference to you at all. It's like complaining for the sake of complaining.

Point 1 is just wrong.

sishgupta

Dec 14, 2011
Toronto
Epic troll thread.

Seriously though. The rest of us dont have these problems. Either because we are power users/modders or not affected by Verizon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

smot13

Feb 18, 2010
4.0.2 and 4.0.3 are two major reasons that make this a NEXUS device. Imagine how long it would take to get even 4.0.2 rolled out, let alone already having an additional update coming in the next couple weeks on some other random skinned up bloated device that gets literally ZERO support after launch.

Not to mention getting Jelly Bean with in weeks of it's release as opposed to months (if at all).

Reactions: carnagey

carnagey

Jun 15, 2010
Apparently I have been misinformed then. I've been listening to too much Buzz out Loud :)

I have never even held a Nexus phone in my hands before my GN arrived Saturday.

I know I've heard the Buzz out loud crew say Nexus phones came rooted many times in the course of the past 2 years that I've listened to their show.

I did root and ROM my OD so I know it's not an issue in putting what I want on it, I just thought it would be nice if I wanted to stick with stock not having to wait for a carrier release. That was also mentioned on BOL. Maybe only the original Nexus got updates direct from Google??

As far as carrier branded software that is also where I got the misinformation.

Since BOL is no longer a daily show I have migrated to TNT, hopefully their info is better.
I do read phonearena, and Droid life regularly as well. Mobile tech is just a hobby, I do not work in this feild, so I have to go on what I learn from reading tech news and listening to tech news podcasts.

This is a real wake up call, I had thought Nexus devices were alot more than they are apparently. I'm not meaning to diminish them... it's just that my understanding of them was completely wrong and it will take me a little time to adjust to the reality.

Getting the updated OS at the head of the line alone, is worth having a Nexus device, if that is the main difference.

Thanks for the education... I guess I really need it!

Last edited:

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
These are some of the advantages of Nexus devices:
1) Unlockable bootloaders;
2) First in line to get Android updates;
3) Source code is available via AOSP;
4) Developer and community support.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

qwerp_

Oct 8, 2010
I did root and ROM my OD so I know it's not an issue in putting what I want on it, I just thought it would be nice if I wanted to stick with stock not having to wait for a carrier release. That was also mentioned on BOL. Maybe only the original Nexus got updates direct from Google??

as a extra note.

there is 2 things to this.
-google release the latest update and the update get pushed to your phone.
you always get the latest update if you don't want to wait.

there is usually people finding out the exact URL from google's server where the update zip files comes from which you can download and apply it immediately if you don't want to wait for your carrier to push it over to you.

else, you can stick with waiting for the carrier to push it over to you, which is still way faster than any other devices out there.

melterx12

Dec 6, 2009
New York City

I THOUGHT those phones

1. Came rooted

1. How to root it

1. no nexus has ever come pre rooted for you. In addition, the nexus one could not have it's bootloader relocked once it has been unlocked (unless some hack was made), so the galaxy nexus (and maybe nexus s, i never owned one) is better in that regard.
2. This phone still gets its updates directly from google.
3. Too bad, verizon requires these two apps for phones on it's network. This is not an issue since you can disable them. Also compare the two apps to how much bloatware comes preinstalled on the DROID phones.
4. The carrier had no say before because previous nexus phones were not officially sold on any carrier. The nexus one was never sold in any T-Mobile stores or advertised/supported by T-Mobile in any way whatsoever.

5. Just because verizon announced an update is coming for the phone does not mean verizon is providing the update.
6. Google Wallet is not available for the international galaxy nexus either. However you can download the "fixed" Google wallet apk from these forums and install it and it will work perfectly. No root required.

carnagey

Jun 15, 2010
6. Google Wallet is not available for the international galaxy nexus either. However you can download the "fixed" Google wallet apk from these forums and install it and it will work perfectly. No root required.

I saw that and d/l it yesterday and installed it. Was quite happy about that, even though I don't know when or where I will use it.. I just like having the capability if I want it :)

I haven't rooted the bootloader yet on my GN. I really didn't think I was going to need to, but I know I will want to try out ROM's before long so I will.
Right now I'm going to spend some time making sure I understand exactly what this phone is before I start messing with it. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I THOUGHT those phones

1. Came rooted

1. How to root it

1. No Nexus ones came stock rooted. NONE.
    2. Even if the update comes from Google, it still needs to pass through the carrier. That applied with the original Nexus One and Nexus S on T-Mobile.
    3. Click disable.
    4. Read more, it's not that.
    5. Go return the phone and stop complaining.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    4.0.2 and 4.0.3 are two major reasons that make this a NEXUS device. Imagine how long it would take to get even 4.0.2 rolled out, let alone already having an additional update coming in the next couple weeks on some other random skinned up bloated device that gets literally ZERO support after launch.

Not to mention getting Jelly Bean with in weeks of it's release as opposed to months (if at all).
    These are some of the advantages of Nexus devices:
    1) Unlockable bootloaders;
    2) First in line to get Android updates;
    3) Source code is available via AOSP;
    4) Developer and community support.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

as a extra note.

there is 2 things to this.
    -google release the latest update and the update get pushed to your phone.
    you always get the latest update if you don't want to wait.

there is usually people finding out the exact URL from google's server where the update zip files comes from which you can download and apply it immediately if you don't want to wait for your carrier to push it over to you.

else, you can stick with waiting for the carrier to push it over to you, which is still way faster than any other devices out there.

I THOUGHT those phones

1. Came rooted

1. How to root it

1. no nexus has ever come pre rooted for you. In addition, the nexus one could not have it's bootloader relocked once it has been unlocked (unless some hack was made), so the galaxy nexus (and maybe nexus s, i never owned one) is better in that regard.
    2. This phone still gets its updates directly from google.
    3. Too bad, verizon requires these two apps for phones on it's network. This is not an issue since you can disable them. Also compare the two apps to how much bloatware comes preinstalled on the DROID phones.
    4. The carrier had no say before because previous nexus phones were not officially sold on any carrier. The nexus one was never sold in any T-Mobile stores or advertised/supported by T-Mobile in any way whatsoever.

5. Just because verizon announced an update is coming for the phone does not mean verizon is providing the update.