Motoactv

Search This thread

NORCALkID

Jun 23, 2011
Gnu.... you are awesome! ... Lets get a real thread for the motoactv going !!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Itslame

Jan 6, 2012
Mililani, Hawaii
Nos sent the original launcher APK but I cant get it to work with Homeswitcher (force closes). Anycut works great to make shortcuts to the original motorola APKs such as Radio, so instead of switching launchers to use the watch for running, I will just utilize the shortcuts.

edit: If you select the first "music" from anycut's dir of activities, it will launch the music library vs just the radio (as per the previous given APK file). The difference is you can play the radio as well as the music stored on the player.

...now to figure out the motorola fitness APK to launch the workout program.

Last edited:

NORCALkID

Jun 23, 2011
Nos sent the original launcher APK but I cant get it to work with Homeswitcher (force closes). Anycut works great to make shortcuts to the original motorola APKs such as Radio, so instead of switching launchers to use the watch for running, I will just utilize the shortcuts.

Try button savior if u pay for the upgraded version you will have a clear icon so you can switch between homes

Nov 13, 2010
Thanks for sending those to me, but now it seems that my battery is dead and it won't let me into fastboot mode. Any suggestions?

I actually ran into the same problem. Talked to a motorola rep. He had me plug it directly into the wall and use the wall charger. I got the Moto logo and then the battery logo at 0%. He said to let it charge for 20-30 minutes before trying to boot it. I let mine charge for an hour. Booted up just fine for me.

nosit1

May 19, 2010
Arizona
I actually ran into the same problem. Talked to a motorola rep. He had me plug it directly into the wall and use the wall charger. I got the Moto logo and then the battery logo at 0%. He said to let it charge for 20-30 minutes before trying to boot it. I let mine charge for an hour. Booted up just fine for me.

This is what I was trying to get at. Please try this first before RMA'ing. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Fatadxb

Dec 28, 2008
I need help please I flash the boot.img but nothing happen the same moto software again if someone could explain to me more or some details
I tried to follow Wade
steps but nothing change for :confused:

Powers88

May 28, 2008
I need help please I flash the boot.img but nothing happen the same moto software again if someone could explain to me more or some details
I tried to follow Wade
steps but nothing change for :confused:

From what I can tell that boot.img is just a vulnerable version of the regular so that you can get root. So once you have fastboot flashed the boot.img you go ahead and get root using the SuperOneClick Root app. Its all the in the instructions, although they do leave a lot out....

Itslame

Jan 6, 2012
Mililani, Hawaii
From what I can tell that boot.img is just a vulnerable version of the regular so that you can get root. So once you have fastboot flashed the boot.img you go ahead and get root using the SuperOneClick Root app. Its all the in the instructions, although they do leave a lot out....

LOL, it doesnt leave out alot, per se, as it just assumes you know what you are doing. I didnt, LMAO. This thread serves as the best tutorial tho...everything is basically here. It also has a lot of good info in terms of alternative launchers, keymapping etc.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

I had everything pretty much as I wanted (Forceclosures aside) but I wanted the original motoactv functionality, so I reflashed the system img. When it rebooted I was prompted to select the launcher and was presented with HCL, Zeam and the OG launcher. All keys were reset to default (Music, workout) but button savior was still loaded. I browsed thru and everything appeared reset (right down to having to redo the initial setup wizard). Once I was done, I clicked button savior and selected HCL; all my shortcuts were still loaded (but keys re-launch the moto suite). Button savior doesnt want to open the menu while in apps tho...so I will try and reload it. Pretty cool tho...

Last edited:

Jay4255

Jan 7, 2012
League City, TX
Forum name change

Hey all,

It's Jaysen (Gnu4Lyfe), got bored with my name and wanted to change it. So this is my new account. Just FYI... Kinda disappointed I couldn't just change a display name in the UserCP so I made a new account. Kinda sucks my "Member since" date is reset, but oh well. I can live without it. I'm sure it won't take long to get the Thanks and post counts back.

I created an all-in-one batch file to help simplify things.

Features:
- Backup (System.img and Userdata.img)
- Restore (System.img and Userdata.img)
- Remap Buttons (7 different configurations)
- Install Launcher (Honeycomb and Zeam)
- Replace Stock PackageInstaller.apk with one from CyanogenMod
- Remove MotoCRAP (Strip '/system/app')
- Restart MotoACTV
- Stop ADB (Enables MotoSync and Mass Storage)

Future Plans:
- Support multiple backups
- Flash Boot.img
- Work with SuperOneClick for All-in-one easy to root program
- Market Installer
- Run custom commands
- Install any APK placed in the 'APKs' folder

The "Clean '/system/app'" under the tools menu moves all APKs that are not required for Android to function to '/sdcard/system/app'. If you use AnyCut, or any of the MotoACTV programs, either don't use this feature or manually move the APKs you use back to '/system/app'. I see no loss of function after using this feature, if you do please tell me in the IRC or post a reply here so I can fix it.

If you have any issues at all, please let me know and I will address them. If you have any suggestions on what to add, post a reply and hopefully they'll be included in later versions.

Attachments Removed. Newer version posted on Page 17.

Last edited:

Powers88

May 28, 2008
LOL, it doesnt leave out alot, per se, as it just assumes you know what you are doing. I didnt, LMAO. This thread serves as the best tutorial tho...everything is basically here. It also has a lot of good info in terms of alternative launchers, keymapping etc.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

I had everything pretty much as I wanted (Forceclosures aside) but I wanted the original motoactv functionality, so I reflashed the system img. When it rebooted I was prompted to select the launcher and was presented with HCL, Zeam and the OG launcher. All keys were reset to default (Music, workout) but button savior was still loaded. I browsed thru and everything appeared reset (right down to having to redo the initial setup wizard). Once I was done, I clicked button savior and selected HCL; all my shortcuts were still loaded (but keys re-launch the moto suite). Button savior doesnt want to open the menu while in apps tho...so I will try and reload it. Pretty cool tho...

Its true that if you know what your doing it is enough to get it done but for those that don't and still want to root it they are s.o.l.

Powers88

May 28, 2008
Hopefully Better Instructions

UPDATE: Jay4255 (aka Gnu4Lyfe) has updated his program since I wrote this, it adds more features so I would recommend searching this thread for the most up to date information.

To try and alleviate more heartbreak from people not understanding the instructions. I will post my own version of what I did following CMW's instructions and what helped me, also tips on how to not brick the device and have to return it like my friend did :p

Credit goes to Andrew for buying the watch and letting me brick it, returning it the next day and having a successful Round 2 with it.
CMW for rooting it and Gnu4Lyfe for posting his zip file.

THE PREREQUISITES:

1. You need ADB and Fastboot for these commands so make sure you have them installed on your computer. Someone who's smarter then me can correct me if i'm wrong but if its not installed on your computer I believe you can download Gnu4lyfe's MOTOACTV.zip file which has adb and fastboot files in it and when you get to the fastboot/adb parts in the command console type "cd (the directory to where you unzipped the motoactv.zip file to)"

Example: (from the command prompt)
"cd C:/Motoactv/adb"

2. You need to ensure that the watch is charged to a maximum possible level so as to ensure that it doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of rooting update.

3. Ensure that you are on the 4.55.78 version firmware version which you can check from your Moto Actv device from About section from the Settings.

4. If you have data on the device it will be erased during this process so if you want to keep it be sure to sync it with Moto Sync.

5. Note that from what I have read this method is ONLY for the 8GB model

HOW TO ROOT THE MOTOACTV:

• Download the Motorola Actv Firmware Boot.img (attached, have to unzip it)

• Turn off the watch so you can put it into fastboot mode

• If the watch is connected to your computer disconnect it

• While the watch is off hold the POWER key and START key for 3 seconds and release them at the same time to make the watch enter fastboot mode. If it powers on like normal, turn it off and try again.

• Once into fastboot mode, connect the Moto ACTV to the computer using the original USB cable that it came with.

• Now you must open a command prompt window, to do this hold the windows key + "R", this will open up the Run window. From there just type cmd and it will open a command prompt window.

• If you need to, cd to your adb folder now. Once you've done that, in the command prompt window type "fastboot devices"

• If your device shows up under there then we are ready to begin. If not then you most likely need to install the drivers which usually auto install once connected.

• In the command prompt window, type
    "fastboot flash boot boot.img"
    (boot.img being the directory to where you have downloaded the boot.img)

Example if you have it saved to the root of drive C:
    "fastboot flash boot C:/boot.img"

• Assuming all went well and no errors were thrown, type in
    "fastboot reboot"
    This will reboot your device with the vulnerable boot.img

• Now we can root the device. The easiest way is to download SuperOneClick Root app, do a google search and it should be the first thing to pop up.

• Download and unzip SuperOneClick Root and run the program

• On the right side of the program where it says exploit change it to Zergrush

• Hit root and let the program do its magic and if all goes well your device should now be rooted.

• Now that's that we need to make a backup of your system.img and also userdata.img. Gnu4Lyfe has been kind enough to make a batch file, available just a couple posts above this, that will do all the code work for you so go ahead and download his Motoactv.zip, unzip it and run the Start.bat

• Gnu's program should pop up, from there type "1" to get to the backup menu and then "3" to backup the system.img and userdata.img

• Gnu has also been kind enough to automate remapping the keys and installing custom launchers amongst other things.

• Go ahead and fiddle with your new smart watch now, impress your friends. My fiend left all the stock MotoActv apps on there and is able to switch between a normal android launcher and the MotoActv launcher and is still able to get notifications from his phone. Hope this helps.

FAQ

I removed my launcher and now my screen is blank.
This is where me and my friend went wrong. If you are following the original instructions by CMW and get to the part about "cp Launcher2.apk" and "rm Launcher2.apk" and you have not loaded on another Launcher yet your screen will go black because the two commands you just ran were to copy the Launcher2 to the MotoACTV's sdcard and then to uninstall it. DO NOT RESTART YOUR DEVICE, a simple fix is to pull the Launcher2.apk from the sdcard and then adb install it. The commands look like this

"adb pull /sdcard/Launcher2.apk Launcher2.apk"
"adb install Launcher2.apk"

What if I removed my launcher and don't have a backup?
No worries, I have attached the original launcher to this post.

I removed my launcher and turned off my device and now it boot loops.
If you followed this set of directions instead of CMW you should be fine because we made a backup of your userdata.img. Boot your watch into fastboot mode and then you can use Gnu's MotoACTV program to restore your userdata.img. or if you want to do it yourself you can type
"fastboot flash userdata userdata.img"
when its done "fastboot reboot" to get your watch out of fastboot mode

I have attached the boot.img and the stock MotoACTV launcher for those who may need it.

Attachments

• boot.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 151
  • Launcher2.apk
    6.1 MB · Views: 231
Last edited:

NORCALkID

Jun 23, 2011
I think you are right ..updates for phones are different

Edit: Mean to say watch sorry

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CWMR ported

Hello,

I have ported CWMR 5.0.2.7 to the Motoactv (F100) device.

actvcmwr.png

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

The procedure for this is as follows. You MUST have working adb knowledge to use this and you must be able to restore using the available tool should any problems arise. This is considered an ALPHA release that may need additional work. I did not have access to the device during the port so all testing was done through TheEndGame7. THERE MAY BE ISSUES, you are warned.

1) Download this file: CWMR5x_F100_recoveryA.img
    2) adb push CWMR5x_F100_recoveryA.img /data/local/
    3) adb shell (become root)
    4) dd if=/data/local/CWMR5x_F100_recoveryA.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk1p13
    5) exit adb from the device
    6) adb reboot recovery (you should be in CWMR now)

The source for the device config is here. Please feel free to go wild with development on this because I do not have the device and likely won't be contributing much more except bug fixes. If you use this source, please give credit where it's due.

NOTE: there are missing images(known). This is because the ramdisk is EXTREMELY finicky on this device and it WILL NOT BOOT past 3.66mb in size. I trimmed out things that weren't needed in order to make this work. The basic functionality you need should be there. adb is also not functioning properly yet within recovery.

ramdisk config:
    https://github.com/utkanos/android_motorola_F100_initrd

device config:
    https://github.com/utkanos/android_device_motorola_F100

credits:
    koush for cwmr.
    TheEndGame7 for being my testing guinea pig.
    hashcode for some helpful insight.
    MotoACTV Easy Modder v0.1

Post removed, see below.
    Well, it was a *****, but here is build 2, moving to Beta at this point in 'Moto red' by request of TEG.

ayu6vRFV

There is 1 lingering issue: usb support in recovery. It is a bastard, going to really have to tear this thing apart to debug why. Right now, recovery can backup, restore, wipe, flash roms, etc. All the stuff you're used to working, now does. I fixed images by shrinking the kernel to fit more stuff in here. You should no longer get any weird image errors. I bumped you up to 5.0.2.8 source as well.

Flash this file the same as before via adb and dd.
    CWMR5x_F100_recoveryB.img

adb push CWMR5x_F100_recoveryB.img /data/local/
    adb shell
    # dd if=/data/local/CWMR5x_F100_recoveryB.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk1p13
    # exit
    adb reboot recovery

Some additional notes I'd like to share that might help you as you mess with this device now that I've played with one.

1) NEVER use adb reboot bootloader for any reason. You get stuck in a ****tily programmed loop of hell. The way out of this loop is by following these instructions:

a) hold START, POWER, VOL UP, VOL DOWN together for 10 seconds at least. You should see the screen flicker on and off twice.
    b) plug in the USB cable to turn device on
    c) you should boot back to rom, if not, do it again. It's touchy.

2) The 'soft' reset is done by START + POWER for 5 seconds.

Enjoy. Source is updated. This will likely be the last update unless I get adb working.

Credits: koush for cwmr
    TheEndGame7 for providing a device
    ClearD for files
    Attached is the latest copy of my MotoACTV Easy Modder v1.0. This is a MAJOR upgrade! Adds numerous features and completely revises how backups are stored on the computer. Need to use 7zip to extract it, wouldn't let me upload that big of a .zip file.

To make this version see your old backups, open your IMGs folder, make a new folder (no spaces), drag all your old .img files into it.

ChangeLog:
    v1.0 Updated 1/16/12
    - Redesigned GUI
    - Integrated SuperOneClick (Very basic at the moment)
    - Backup (Boot, Recovery, System, Cache, Userdata, All)
    - Restore (Boot, Recovery, System, Cache, Userdata, All)
    - Added more Button Remaps (21 configurations)
    - Run Custom ADB commands
    - Run Custom Fastboot commands

v0.8 Updated 1/12/12
    - Fixed a few errors
    - Made ADB pause until a device is detected before continuing
    - New method of button remapping (DELETE "Keypads" folder from previous version)
    - Cleaned code

v0.6 Updated 01/09/12
    - Backup
    - Now supports multiple images
    - Restore / Flash
    - Flash Custom Boot.img
    - Implemented Userdata Restore
    - Implemented System and Userdata Restore
    - Mods
    - Install Custom APKs
    - Tools
    - Remount filesystem as Read/Write
    - Modified "Clean '/system/app'"

v0.1 Initial Release
    - Backup (System.img and Userdata.img)
    - Restore (System.img and Userdata.img)
    - Remap Buttons (7 different configurations)
    - Replace Stock PackageInstaller.apk with one from CyanogenMod
    - Remove MotoCRAP (Strip '/system/app')
    - Restart MotoACTV

Future Plans:
    - Market Installer
    - Port scripts to *nix and Mac

Screenshots:
    http://xdaforums.com/album.php?albumid=5789

Download:
    Newer version posted later in thread. Page 55.
    Working on an All-in-One batch file with an easy to use menu to try and make the alleviate some problems people are having so that the IRC can be used more for development progress and creative ideas rather than support.

Features:
    - Backup (system.img and userdata.img)
    - Restore (system.img and userdata.img)
    - Replace PackageInstaller.apk
    - Remap Buttons (7 configurations)
    - Restart

Attached are a few screenshots. Let me know if there is anything else I should include.