[REF][GUIDE] How to: update firmware with CWM app and clockworkmod recovery

Search This thread

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
This guide will hopefully help people with minimal to zero knowledge or people which are very afraid to just try things on their own to upgrade their Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 to a newer firmware, which might be a pre-release firmware, a leak from somewhere or which won't be or isn't yet available on KIES. The procedure outlined graphically and textually explicitly only takes care of firmware releases which don't come packed as a single .tar.md5 file of about 850mb, but to releases which are split up in several packages of varying size with the file extension .tar.md5. The same procedure applies to single-file releases as well, coming as a single packaged .tar.md5 file. When flashing a single file release, naturally some steps can or must be skipped, like extracting the image files or several selection dialogs in CWM, as there is one one choice to make when dealing with a single file.

The procedure outlined may not be the shortest possible or the least complex one. But I do judge it to be the probably most universal one and following the steps closely should avoid all kind of problems and lead to a seamless and trouble free update. All possible firmware combinations should be updateable this way, as long as the prerequisites are met and the instructions are followed closely. This procedure does not influence or trigger the custom binary flash counter or the yellow warning triangle.

Information: Please read instructions carefully, as it took me quite some time to structure and present them as they are. You may ask questions if problems arise, if important details differ from the steps presented here or you would like to add anything, but post's which clearly show that the author didn't read this message or the very clear instructions in their entirety and rather just puts up a post out of pure lazyness, will get deleted and I will ask moderators or admins to impose some sort of punishment on the poster. I will not let party poopers insult me with their lazyness.

The information presented is structured and numbered. All steps which follow a number are according to my judgement closely connected and form one step. This explains why not every single click or action gets it's own number. Numbers in brackets inside a paragraph, for example [3] means there is a picture existing for the information given in this step. In this example case, it would be picture with index number 3, as pictures as well will be numbered and labelled accordingly.

If you find this information helpful, you may hit the thanks button.

End of introduction. The procedure starts here.

Minimum prerequisites:
  • Pre-rooted firmware on the device *)
  • CWM app
  • SD card, ~1GB free space
*) If you come here without a pre-rooted device, go back and check the threads on how to obtain root. Do not ask here, this thread is for updating an already rooted device only.

1. Prepare the device:
You'll need to prepare your device in a specific way to be able to use this method. You will need an external SD card with at least about 1GB free storage. Access the SD card on the device or by mounting it on your desktop pc [1]. Create a folder in the root of the card named "firmware". Thus, when accessed through the device, the complete path to that folder should be "/sdcard/external_sd/firmware" [1]. This is the folder CWM checks for firmware parts to be flashed.

attachment.php

Image 1: Path on external SD card

2. Find the appropriate firmware you want to upgrade to:
Decide on a firmware you want to upgrade to. Download it from your source of choice. You may end up with a .zip or .rar. or generally speaking an archive file [2] you have to extract. Do so.

attachment.php

Image 2: archived firmware release

After the extraction you will most likely find a subfolder being created with several files inside. The content of the firmware you downloaded may differ from the content shown in the image below [3], this does not matter, as long as some central files which I will get to later are at hand. Once you got this far, you may minimise the window, as we will continue elsewhere.

attachment.php

Image 3: extracted firmware release

3. Find and flash the matching cf-root kernel:
Information: If you just rooted your device and did not change kernels since, there is a certain possibility that you already run a cf-root kernel. In this case, this step can also be left out. If you do not know or are unsure, continue to follow the guide.
In order to maximise compatibility with the CWM app, a cf-root kernel will be used for all flashing activities. Find the kernel matching the the firmware you chose to upgrade to in chainfires cf-root release thread. You find the thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1331784
If there is no exact match, general rule of thumb use the one you read the best reviews about or just the newest one available. It does not matter if the kernel is two or three releases older than the firmware you want to flash.

Substeps 3.1 Download and extract the kernel image:
- 3.1 a) Download the corresponding kernel as instructed above.
- 3.1 b) The kernel comes pre-packed as a .zip file. Extract it [4].
- 3.1 c) Inside the .zip there will be a .tar file. Extract it.
- 3.1 d) You'll find a file named zImage, push it to the device into the folder created in step 1.
- 3.1 e) Unmount the SD card from the pc, in case you have it mounted.

attachment.php

Image 4: archived cf-root kernel (release shown: KL7)

Substeps 3.2 Flash the kernel on the device using CWM:
- 3.2 a) Launch the CWM app, select "Flash kernel" [5].
- 3.2 b) Navigate to folder from step 1 and select zImage.
- 3.2 c) Confirm the dialog [6], the device will reboot. *)
*) In case you encounter a bootloop, turn off the device, enter recovery with VolUp-Home-Power and chose to "wipe cache" and under advanced, "wipe dalvik cache". Reboot afterwards.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Image 5: CWM app, select [1] (left); Image 6: kernel flash confirmation (right)

4. Flash the firmware:
Navigate to the folder you minimised in step 2, containing the extracted firmware. Of interest are only 3 (three) files, which must be copied to the folder created in step 1. Depending on the firmware release, the names of the files of course differ. Below I will give the generic name of the three files in question and then list a couple variations, so everyone can figure out, which files are to be taken. After copying the files, make sure to unmount the SD card from the pc, it must be accessible on the device.

Files of release XXLA3:
CODE_N7000XXLA3_CL880036_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5
MODEM_N7000XXLA3_REV_05_CL1095424.tar.md5
GT-N7000-MULTI-CSC-OXALA3.tar.md5

Files of release XXLA1:
CODE_N7000XXLA1_CL868264_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5
MODEM_N7000XXLA1_REV_05_CL1093393.tar.md5
GT-N7000-MULTI-CSC-OXALA1.tar.md5

Abstraction: The files containing CODE, MODEM and MULTI-CSC are to be taken and put in the folder created in step 1.

Substeps 4.1 Flash the firmware on the device using CWM:
- 4.1 a) Launch the CWM app, select "Flash stock firmware" [5].
- 4.1 b) Confirm the dialog, also confirm the second dialog.
- 4.1 c) Select zImage as "Source file for: kernel" [7].
- 4.1 d) Select MULTI-CSC as "Source file for: cache" [8].
- 4.1 e) Confirm the dialog.
- 4.1 f) Chose "Keep CF-Root kernel" [9].

attachment.php
attachment.php

Image 5: CWM app, select [2] (left); Image 7: kernel source confirmation (right)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Image 8: cache/CSC source confirmation (left); Image 9: root options (right)

The device will now reboot twice, enter recovery each time and flash the firmware chosen. After the flash, you will be running an updated and pre-rooted Android build on a cf-root kernel. You may freely flash the kernel of your choice in case you do not want cf-root. It is highly recommended that you do switch over to cf-root when flashing to have maximum compatibility between kernel, recovery and CWM app.

You may hit the thanks button now ;)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 4,463
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    3.8 KB · Views: 4,098
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    23.7 KB · Views: 4,090
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    5.2 KB · Views: 3,891
  • 5.png
    5.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 4,123
  • 6.png
    6.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 3,884
  • 7.png
    7.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 3,856
  • 8.png
    8.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 3,716
  • 9.png
    9.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 3,660
Last edited:

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
Message 2

Update overview

Update 19 January 2012, Revision 2
Added the information that the guide also applies to single-file releases coming as a single .tar.md5

Last edited:
Reactions: oaf_tobark

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
Message 3

Outline for future updates

-Update procedure in guide where it differs from multi-file firmware to single-file firmware flashing.
-Information on how to create a nandroid/CWM backup and - provided the firmwares are compatible - restore data after a successful upgrade.

Last edited:

eroracing

Nov 24, 2007
This guide works perfect and very easy to understand!!! Just flashed mine to latest firmware using this guide and it was a breeze!
Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Dec 16, 2011
Schaggo You are Great

schaggo you are really great.

I was running all over the forum to check how should i upgrade my note from KL3 to LA1 or LA3 through CWm and Mobile Odin Pro.

I screwed my mobile twice with "Logo.*****" error when trying it through mobile odin. Literally i got panicked when my phone came with that "Logo *****error". So I went back to stock KL3 after my two attempts which didnt work.

Later i saw this thread and you know what.. it was crystal clear.... Newbee like me prefer your kind of tutorial to MOD our phones without screwing it.. Even a 10yr kid who knows english can upgrade his/her GN with your guide lines. i.e it is explained in such a way.

Thanks alot for your guidelines..

qmaula

Dec 29, 2010
1. Prepare the device:
You'll need to prepare your device in a specific way to be able to use this method. You will need an external SD card with at least about 1GB free storage. Access the SD card on the device or by mounting it on your desktop pc [1]. Create a folder in the root of the card named "firmware". Thus, when accessed through the device, the complete path to that folder should be "/sdcard/external_sd/firmware" [1]. This is the folder CWM checks for firmware parts to be flashed.

Hi, Thanks for the incredible tutorial.
I was just wondering why we should create the firmware folder under the /sdcard/external_sd/
Shouldn't it be working on the /sdcard/ only?. Sometimes I have problems with CWM and the external card, it gets unmounted e.g. while doing backups

Thanks

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
The reason is quite simple: it's hardcoded this way. The file(s) to be flashed must reside at /sdcard/external_sd/firmware.
I backup onto the internal memory and use the external card mainly for storing some MP3 and stuff I brought over from my previous Android...

RamenBooko

Mar 26, 2008
Mississauga
Very clear and understandable, thanks for the great guide! I think one of the major issues with a lot of the other guides on here is the language barrier, for me at least. I say that in the most non-offensive way possible.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App

Reactions: schaggo

cswithxda

Jan 24, 2012
all over
Hello Schaggo,

Sorry for cross posting this, but I just discovered your suggestion in the other thread that noob should really follow your guide here and avoid ruining their devices :)

So I rooted my note and am ready to upgrade it back to Debitel's LA4 firmware, using CWM instead of MobileOdin, and I'm stuck as shown in the attachment, I not only tried LA4, but also Debitel's KK9. It also turned out to be the same result, "can't mount firmwareflash.zip".

Do you have any suggestion to solve this issue?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: SORRY, forgot to attach the quote of my own from that other thread "[STOCK ROMs]" by THE DOCTOR ;p

Please help me :(

I finished "downgrading to KJ4" and "Rooting", and now I'm on my way upgrading to XXLA4 (Debitel) (which I originally had).

I'm using CWM (tried to avoid Odin, even tho i know it's safe to flash factory ROM, but still, it will try to keep current Kernel). And I got this after I choose "Keep CF-Root Kernel" and the device restarts.

BTW, the firmware is on an external SD card itself. I saw a previous member addressed this issue by starting to use a physical external SD card, but I am already using one :(

EDIT: just edited the attachment, now it shows how it "aborted" the process ;(

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:

cswithxda

Jan 24, 2012
all over
Hello Schaggo,

Sorry for cross posting this, but I just discovered your suggestion in the other thread that noob should really follow your guide here and avoid ruining their devices :)

So I rooted my note and am ready to upgrade it back to Debitel's LA4 firmware, using CWM instead of MobileOdin, and I'm stuck as shown in the attachment, I not only tried LA4, but also Debitel's KK9. It also turned out to be the same result, "can't mount firmwareflash.zip".

Do you have any suggestion to solve this issue?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: SORRY, forgot to attach the quote of my own from that other thread "[STOCK ROMs]" by THE DOCTOR ;p

OK. I just figured this out (in the process of flashing tho)

So here's what I did differently this last time from previous attempts (likely 50+ times in the past couple hours): when copying the firmware .tar.md5 file over to the phone from my computer, I dragged that SS_DL.dll file (provided that you have any) together this time. And the CWM recognized the firmware fine.

I'm just writing this down in case anyone else in the future have this issue. So keep this on record. :D

NOW, HOORAY! Debitel LA4 with Rooted KK9 Kernel!

Love this forum!

Last edited:

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
This is interesting, as I deliberatly leave out the .dll file. I did so when I flashed KK9. Also when I flashed LA4. In fact, every time. And I flashed them all since November :p (except LA6, which brings nothing new to the table).

Could it be the file(s) got damaged in the process of transferring it onto the device when you tried the first time round? As the .dll is of absolutely no value to Android.

Edit: but yeah, xda is a godsend... :D

#Tapatalk #Galaxy Note

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
Stareing at your screenshot again, it rather seems to me the recovery is/was unable to mount the sdcard and stalled. I also have to say, I never got the countdown your screenshot exposes. I mean its quite a while since I flashed LA4 but I'm quite sure my flashing activities went differently. Could it be that your sdcard is borked? Did you unmount it correctly (eject on pc, then unmount)? Quite hard to pinpoint, now that it worked...

#Tapatalk #Galaxy Note

cswithxda

Jan 24, 2012
all over
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I can't think of what I did differently besides copying that additional dll file.

I did try to copy files to SD card many times thinking that it could be the file was corrupted during the transfer. I also see people with this issue suggesting that the issue was due to the corrupted firmware file from download, so I downloaded it again and the issue persisted.

Also, there is no option on my computer to eject either the phone or SD card, so I always have to just unplug the phone, after which I unmount the SD card in the phone, and re-mount it.

Hopefully when next upgrade thru CWM is coming up and I can try it again, but for now, I definitely do not want to mess with it anymore, as I've spent nearly 10 hrs last night to solve this problem :p

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
Also, there is no option on my computer to eject either the phone or SD card, so I always have to just unplug the phone, after which I unmount the SD card in the phone, and re-mount it.
This way the card can get dirty. In case you're using Windows: sure it's there, at least since Windows 2000 if not longer. Right click the mounted drive, select "Eject". Wait for the confirmation. Otherwise in the systemtray, select the USB icon and unmount the (two) drives.

Hopefully when next upgrade thru CWM is coming up
I'm downloading LP1 right now. I'll flash it right when it's done and see what's what.

May I flash Team Rocket Rom 1.1 (ICS 4.0.3) with CWM ?
I'm not aware of the format the Team Rocket ROM comes in. But if it's a .zip containing a couple files and a META-INF folder, then no, you can't flash it using this method. In this case it's an "update.zip" and you have to flash it using the "Flash update.zip" methon in CWM App.

cswithxda

Jan 24, 2012
all over
I really don't have that :(

I don't have USB tray icon when the phone is connected either (i do see it when a flash drive or external hard drive is connected)

Please see the attachment ...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 169

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
LOL... you access the device through KIES and MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), you don't mount it as a USB mass storage device. No wonder!
Oh my godness, KIES is such ****!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 2.png
    2.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    13.3 KB · Views: 154

cswithxda

Jan 24, 2012
all over
Oops! Noobility here...

How do I change to USB connection? I clicked on "USB connected" tab, but nothing happens, so I could only access MTP mode

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide will hopefully help people with minimal to zero knowledge or people which are very afraid to just try things on their own to upgrade their Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 to a newer firmware, which might be a pre-release firmware, a leak from somewhere or which won't be or isn't yet available on KIES. The procedure outlined graphically and textually explicitly only takes care of firmware releases which don't come packed as a single .tar.md5 file of about 850mb, but to releases which are split up in several packages of varying size with the file extension .tar.md5. The same procedure applies to single-file releases as well, coming as a single packaged .tar.md5 file. When flashing a single file release, naturally some steps can or must be skipped, like extracting the image files or several selection dialogs in CWM, as there is one one choice to make when dealing with a single file.

The procedure outlined may not be the shortest possible or the least complex one. But I do judge it to be the probably most universal one and following the steps closely should avoid all kind of problems and lead to a seamless and trouble free update. All possible firmware combinations should be updateable this way, as long as the prerequisites are met and the instructions are followed closely. This procedure does not influence or trigger the custom binary flash counter or the yellow warning triangle.

Information: Please read instructions carefully, as it took me quite some time to structure and present them as they are. You may ask questions if problems arise, if important details differ from the steps presented here or you would like to add anything, but post's which clearly show that the author didn't read this message or the very clear instructions in their entirety and rather just puts up a post out of pure lazyness, will get deleted and I will ask moderators or admins to impose some sort of punishment on the poster. I will not let party poopers insult me with their lazyness.

The information presented is structured and numbered. All steps which follow a number are according to my judgement closely connected and form one step. This explains why not every single click or action gets it's own number. Numbers in brackets inside a paragraph, for example [3] means there is a picture existing for the information given in this step. In this example case, it would be picture with index number 3, as pictures as well will be numbered and labelled accordingly.

If you find this information helpful, you may hit the thanks button.

End of introduction. The procedure starts here.

Minimum prerequisites:
    • Pre-rooted firmware on the device *)
    • CWM app
    • SD card, ~1GB free space
    *) If you come here without a pre-rooted device, go back and check the threads on how to obtain root. Do not ask here, this thread is for updating an already rooted device only.

1. Prepare the device:

attachment.php

Image 1: Path on external SD card

2. Find the appropriate firmware you want to upgrade to:
    Decide on a firmware you want to upgrade to. Download it from your source of choice. You may end up with a .zip or .rar. or generally speaking an archive file [2] you have to extract. Do so.

attachment.php

Image 2: archived firmware release

After the extraction you will most likely find a subfolder being created with several files inside. The content of the firmware you downloaded may differ from the content shown in the image below [3], this does not matter, as long as some central files which I will get to later are at hand. Once you got this far, you may minimise the window, as we will continue elsewhere.

attachment.php

Image 3: extracted firmware release

3. Find and flash the matching cf-root kernel:
    Information: If you just rooted your device and did not change kernels since, there is a certain possibility that you already run a cf-root kernel. In this case, this step can also be left out. If you do not know or are unsure, continue to follow the guide.
    In order to maximise compatibility with the CWM app, a cf-root kernel will be used for all flashing activities. Find the kernel matching the the firmware you chose to upgrade to in chainfires cf-root release thread. You find the thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1331784
    If there is no exact match, general rule of thumb use the one you read the best reviews about or just the newest one available. It does not matter if the kernel is two or three releases older than the firmware you want to flash.

Substeps 3.1 Download and extract the kernel image:
    - 3.1 a) Download the corresponding kernel as instructed above.
    - 3.1 b) The kernel comes pre-packed as a .zip file. Extract it [4].
    - 3.1 c) Inside the .zip there will be a .tar file. Extract it.
    - 3.1 d) You'll find a file named zImage, push it to the device into the folder created in step 1.
    - 3.1 e) Unmount the SD card from the pc, in case you have it mounted.

attachment.php

Image 4: archived cf-root kernel (release shown: KL7)

Substeps 3.2 Flash the kernel on the device using CWM:
    - 3.2 a) Launch the CWM app, select "Flash kernel" [5].
    - 3.2 b) Navigate to folder from step 1 and select zImage.
    - 3.2 c) Confirm the dialog [6], the device will reboot. *)
    *) In case you encounter a bootloop, turn off the device, enter recovery with VolUp-Home-Power and chose to "wipe cache" and under advanced, "wipe dalvik cache". Reboot afterwards.

attachment.php
    attachment.php

Image 5: CWM app, select [1] (left); Image 6: kernel flash confirmation (right)

4. Flash the firmware:
    Navigate to the folder you minimised in step 2, containing the extracted firmware. Of interest are only 3 (three) files, which must be copied to the folder created in step 1. Depending on the firmware release, the names of the files of course differ. Below I will give the generic name of the three files in question and then list a couple variations, so everyone can figure out, which files are to be taken. After copying the files, make sure to unmount the SD card from the pc, it must be accessible on the device.

Files of release XXLA3:
    CODE_N7000XXLA3_CL880036_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5
    MODEM_N7000XXLA3_REV_05_CL1095424.tar.md5
    GT-N7000-MULTI-CSC-OXALA3.tar.md5

Files of release XXLA1:
    CODE_N7000XXLA1_CL868264_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5
    MODEM_N7000XXLA1_REV_05_CL1093393.tar.md5
    GT-N7000-MULTI-CSC-OXALA1.tar.md5

Abstraction: The files containing CODE, MODEM and MULTI-CSC are to be taken and put in the folder created in step 1.

Substeps 4.1 Flash the firmware on the device using CWM:
    - 4.1 a) Launch the CWM app, select "Flash stock firmware" [5].
    - 4.1 b) Confirm the dialog, also confirm the second dialog.
    - 4.1 c) Select zImage as "Source file for: kernel" [7].
    - 4.1 d) Select MULTI-CSC as "Source file for: cache" [8].
    - 4.1 e) Confirm the dialog.
    - 4.1 f) Chose "Keep CF-Root kernel" [9].

attachment.php
    attachment.php

Image 5: CWM app, select [2] (left); Image 7: kernel source confirmation (right)

attachment.php
    attachment.php

Image 8: cache/CSC source confirmation (left); Image 9: root options (right)

The device will now reboot twice, enter recovery each time and flash the firmware chosen. After the flash, you will be running an updated and pre-rooted Android build on a cf-root kernel. You may freely flash the kernel of your choice in case you do not want cf-root. It is highly recommended that you do switch over to cf-root when flashing to have maximum compatibility between kernel, recovery and CWM app.

You may hit the thanks button now ;)
    Message 2

Update overview

Update 19 January 2012, Revision 2
    Added the information that the guide also applies to single-file releases coming as a single .tar.md5
    You're welcome. Damn I totally underestimated how long it takes to throw all this sh** together... :D
    Very clear and understandable, thanks for the great guide! I think one of the major issues with a lot of the other guides on here is the language barrier, for me at least. I say that in the most non-offensive way possible.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App