How to root 1.4.1 (or any other version) using just an sdcard {easy}

Search This thread

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
Just for clarity, I used the updates and had the hidden settings app flashed on the sd card, but for some reason that app had no affect on versioin 1.4.1 after rooting. I turned on the option to all sideloading and still when I went to try to sideload it would be refused. The dialog to change settings would appear, I would click it, go back to the app to install, and again the dialog to change settings would appear, never allowing the install. All of this even after the hidden settings app was supposed to take care of this. So to me there is no question that in version 1.4.1 sideloading is still blocked. Of course, once I reverted to version 1.4.0 and then rooted, sideloading worked after clicking the option when the dialog appeared.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

One thing I noticed in the three Nooks I have rooted is that once root is completed that when you click the search from the Nook home search menu, you find that it has been replaced by Google Search and you no longer can search for apps, etc. in he Nook. You can get to apps by using the launcher, but you no longer have any NT search functions.

In regards to the search function, just click the "g" in the upper right hand corner and change it to "Apps". You should see a little down arrow under the "g" indicating that there are more options.

For the unknown sources fix, try clearing data for the superuser app then try the unknown sources fix again. I noticed on my nook, that sometimes after adding the superuser app, some apps are denied (not allowed) one of which is NTHiddenSettings (NTHS). If NTHS is not allowed superuser then it can't write to the database that it needs to.

If you are using my update.zip, it automatically applies the the unknown sources fix. I am using 1.4.1 and I can sideload apps.

I am assuming that everyone knows that NTHiddenSettings>Applications settings>Development>USB debugging needs to be check and Auto Mount needs to be unchecked to sideload. Maybe this is the missing step?

ms2003

Jan 22, 2010
ShangHai
The easiest way I found to reclaim (reformat) is to format my card through the nook settings option.

Sent from my ADR6300 using xda premium

what size of your card that can work?

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

It is my understanding that you MUST flash the image available through this thread to have the method work. Basically his means that an approximate 72MG partition will be written to the beginning of the card rendering the rest of the card unavailable.

Most instructions state to use at least a 2GB card but I think that was written before brianf21 zeroed out the unused portion of the original image file. I could be wrong but I believe a 512MB card may be sufficient.

All this said if you want to re-use the card to boot into CWM you must leave it alone. There is no way to have the remaining space available (no matter what size your card) without repartitioning the card and thusly removing the booting capability.

As a side note once rooted you can replace the factory recovery with CWM by following the instructions for Indirect's APP found elsewhere in the Dev section. I don't know if the previous OTA or subsequent OTA's rewrite the recovery partition but you should have them blocked anyway.

Edit: Just reread MS203's post and will take it as confirmation that a 512MB card works. Considering how cheap they are just save that 512 for future use and buy another one :)

Yes, I finally using the card divided into 2 partitions, the first is 70M, and the second occupied the rest part( this part cannot use any more for i'm using windows), and if we can use the total card space for CMW is perfect.
Currently it seems still not recommended to replace factory recovery?

Last edited:

quid246

Sep 22, 2009
Brian, I rooted a 1.4.1 (BNIB) with your image that you posted yesterday.

When I go into Hidden Settings/Manage Applications submenu, the Unknown Sources is unchecked. I can check it, but when I go back and then into Manage Applications submenu it is unchecked again.

Glitch or am I not doing something properly?

EDIT: I tried your suggestion as above, with clearing SU and activating USB debugging... still no dice.

Last edited:

quid246

Sep 22, 2009
Before I flashed 1.4.0 I thought I would take a tough go at getting sideloading on 1.4.1 to work.

After installing the Android SDK and getting the ADB driver working, I transfered SQLite Editor over and edited both FOTA and Non-Market values.

So far so good, was able to sideload a few apps, not sure if this will survive a reboot... I'll try in a little bit. If you don't hear from me... it survived.

Think there is just something up with the NTHS app from BrianF's latest image... it certainly doesn't seem to set the value. If it does, it's not sticking while backing out of the app.

maverixz

Jan 7, 2011
Midwest
Description:
This is a image, and flasher for windows designed to make it so that anyone can flash make a magic SD card to load up CWM, and root their device. THIS IS A UNIVERSAL ROOT, AND CAN BE DONE ON ANY FIRMWARE.

Why:
There are way to many rooting methods out there for this device, and with so many rooting methods, it is very hard to help trouble shoot a device, and make it so that rooting is available to everyone. Also with the 1.4.1 breaking normal root, it is very hard to teach people how to flash back to the previous 1.4.0, without stepping them through it, and then they have to beat the gun, and root and block OTA's. Also there is a lot of "geometry" involved in making a bootable SD.

What is it?:
There are two things in this package, the first is a flasher, and an image. These can be used to flash an SD card from windows with CWM, as a bootable SD. The second package is a CWM flashable zip that will add su, superuser, gapps, and the side loading package to your Nook.

What do I need?:
You will need:
  • SD Card >2GB (all information will be lost, so back it up)
  • Windows
  • Nook Tablet (any Firmware)

Credits:
Loglud
Indirect
Nemith
Bauwks
Instructions:

1. Download the packages listed in the download folder, and extract them to your desktop.
  2. extract ALL the files from the single zip.
    NOTE: Do not extract the .zip with superuser and su.
  3. Open the image flasher .exe, and browse for the .img that you extracted from the same zip
  4. Put your SD Card into your nook or reader, and select the drive letter from the drop down on the right.
  5. Press write, and wait
  6. Once it has completed open the SD Card from the Windows browser and place the .zip in the root of the SD card.
  7. Turn your Nook off.
  8. Turn your Nook on while holding both the N+Power button. Your device will turn on, and then turn off after holding it.
    NOTE: Do not let go of either button until your device has powered on and off again.
  9. Put the SD Card into your nook.
    NOTE: If it is already in there eject it and then put it back in.
  10. Power your Nook on normally.
  11. You will see a picture of N on the screen followed by a box with a white background followed by CWM booting up.
  12. Select flash update.zip.
  13. Select Select from SD card.
  14. Select your .zip
  15. Reboot device
    NOTE: Remove the SD card after your device reboots as if you don't it will continue to boot from the SD card.

Downloads:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dwwhzaixwwh2015

There was no .zip file in the package I downloaded a few minutes ago after I unzipped the package to a folder on my desktop.

Singingdrum

Jul 1, 2011
There was no .zip file in the package I downloaded a few minutes ago after I unzipped the package to a folder on my desktop.

I think what happened is that the zip was removed so that you can replace it with the updated zip. I think this was done so you won't forget to replace it. You will find instructions to do that and the download for it elsewhere in this thread. You will also find a new download file that includes the zip and some other added apps on page 11 by Brianf21. I used this to root my NT and it worked without a hitch.

Last edited:

ViciousCircle

Aug 4, 2008
Columbus
I was also having trouble getting the non market app setting to stick. But based on the other thread that mentions changing the setting in the settings database, i used the SQLlite Editor app to make the change. That app is by the same guys that make root explorer. I just set the option to 1 in the database, and after a reboot all is good. Just another option for those having trouble being able to sideload apps.

Reactions: digiSal

quid246

Sep 22, 2009
I think the problem with the NTHS app not being able to enable sideloading on (atleast 1.4.1) is that the sqlite3 does not get CHMOd'd to 755. Now I know the NTHS attempts to CHMOD as I can see the commands in the classes.dex file.

So behind the scenes if sqlite3 is not executable it will never be able to set the "1" to enable non-Market apps. Will PM Brian about this.

RodyMcAmp

Jan 8, 2008
This method works great. I had been waiting for a while to see what would develop for the nook tablets and with this thread is where i got my feet wet. I have not tried any sideloading, but after finding the new update zip everything works like a charm.

Thanks to all the developers that have gotten the nook tablet this far.

rody

Anon9mouz

Sep 24, 2009
Rineyville, KY
www.facebook.com

I'm thinking that too what's weird is i have clock work on there but couldn't see a market or apps or ne thing so idk what's the deal. I'm wondering if I need more things to install after this root and recovery process plus I ****ed up my sd trying to take off that 70mb partition it made on my 16 gb so i used this mini partition wizard that someone suggested and i messed up my 16gb somehow to where I can't even get it to read on the computer and it keeps showing boot partition so I'm lost but ill get it lol

Reactions: dalkor

quid246

Sep 22, 2009
After doing this is CWM actually installed on the device or is it only on the SD Card?

I had a blank SD card in today and was trying to get to the CWM menu but only seem to get the B&N Factory Restore menu on holding down Power + N.

digiSal

Feb 19, 2007
Editing the database for nonmarket apps worked for me on my new NT with 1.4.1

Install aSQLiteManager here:
https://market.android.com/details?id=dk.andsen.asqlitemanager&

and aShell here:
https://market.android.com/details?id=dk.andsen.aShell

Then launche aShell and navigate to:
/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

choose the table named Secure,find the entry where the name field is "install non market apps", change the value field to 1.

Save that, and reboot and it works.

Cred to this site for telling me which database:
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Enable_App_install_from_on-device_installers

I was also having trouble getting the non market app setting to stick. But based on the other thread that mentions changing the setting in the settings database, i used the SQLlite Editor app to make the change. That app is by the same guys that make root explorer. I just set the option to 1 in the database, and after a reboot all is good. Just another option for those having trouble being able to sideload apps.

Reactions: robroy911

dalkor

Jul 17, 2010
Capital City
I found myself confused about this rooting method and kindly ask for help.
I successfully flashed the Gapps_and_root.zip from CWM, but after booting NT I didn't see any signs of root, market, alternative launcher or whatever.
I examined this zip and found Gapps and root(as the name states), but I found no launcher or any other app, that can help me sidleoad something to my NT. ADB didn't start to work either.
Is this method suitable for out of the box devices with 1.4.1 like mine, or there are preliminary manipulations to be done to get a result(sideloading, market, adb or whatever)?

Last edited:

Anon9mouz

Sep 24, 2009
Rineyville, KY
www.facebook.com
I found myself confused about this rooting method and kindly ask for help.
I successfully flashed the Gapps_and_root.zip from CWM, but after booting NT I didn't see any signs of root, market, alternative launcher or whatever.
I examined this zip and found Gapps and root(as the name states), but I found no launcher or any other app, that can help me sidleoad something to my NT. ADB didn't start to work either.
Is this method suitable for out of the box devices with 1.4.1 like mine, or there are preliminary manipulations to be done to get a result(sideloading, market, adb or whatever)?

That's what I was wondering too same **** for me so i know we have to have root if we have cwm but where is everything else at lol

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
That's what I was wondering too same **** for me so i know we have to have root if we have cwm but where is everything else at lol

Oh well guys really can't you read OP says features of this root: su, superuser apk, gapps nothing else. Anyway if you want a version with more vital apps brian has made one and posted few pages before, or simply flash 1.4.1 ROM with root and apps by cobrato in CWM posted here in development section, might be in the second page but works. Also I have heard that an update.zip was posted here to solve the sideloading problem but seems OP hasn't been updated. You can fix it manually too but more work.

~ Veronica

Sent from XDA premium using my Nook Tablet :p

Last edited:

dalkor

Jul 17, 2010
Capital City
Oh well guys really can't you read OP says features of this root: su, superuser apk, gapps nothing else.

My bad, attention was drawn by pics with alternative launcher and stuff.
Also I didn't expect rooting script for FW with disabled sideloading wouldn't actually enable it(BTW, it would be a nice feature to include in future releases).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This method uses the files and method to install CWM from Goncezilla I just threw together the method to flash superuser and I'll work on getting rid of

Features of this root: It installs su, superuser apk, gapps

Future Features: Suggest something.

Note: Windows instructions are in this post

Changelog:
    2.2: Removed all additions, sticking with basics for now.
    2.1: Removed unknown source fix, removed adw and homecatcher due to problems with Gapps.
    2.0: Sets unknown sources to be allowed since B&N wanted to play "hard to get" with that. :) Enjoy guys.
    1.5: Included adw and homecatcher apk's, NTHidden settings as well.
    1.0 Initial zip / method release.
    Linux only instructions (unless you substitute the instructions with a known windows equivalent)
    1. Setup SDCard
    Using a new SDCard (not one you have info stored on) make a new MSDOS partition table and add a 50 MB FAT32 partition as the first primary partition. Then make sure you enable to boot and lda flags.

Any SDCARD larger than 50 MB should work but I used an extra 2GB laying around. You can add other partitions to the card if you want, but it is not necessary to allocate the entire card. Any added partitions would need to be manually mounted on your Nook anyway.
    I used GParted on my Ubuntu machine to do this but any formating tool should work.

2. Copy Files onto SDCard
    You can grab the files I used here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?dr6bqau194389te

Just UnZip the files directly to the root of the boot partition you created above (make sure flashing_boot.img, u-boot.bin, and boot.img are on the root not the folder SDCARD)

3. Insert SDCARD into NT
    Now, with your NT powered off, eject the SDCARD you just created from your computer and insert it into the tablet. Then just turn it on and VOLA! You should now be in CWM!

Now you just need to download this zip file:
    http://goo-inside.me/apps/Indirect/Nook_tablet/Flashable_Zips/Gapps_and_root.zip
    just put onto the /mnt/media/ directory or you can push to /emmc/ while in CWM.

Credits:
    loglud for taking the time to write instructions for windows.
    ChainsDD for superuser and SU
    Bauwkz for the exploit to be able to make a bootable sdcard
    Nemith for the recovery
    Goncezilla for the sdcard method (I didn't feel like typing it all out.)
    Myself for the flashable zip.

Note: If anyone has 1.4.1 installed and uses this, I need a tester to see if the old package manager will work or not (it should.)

Don't mirror my files because I only use goo-inside to track download stats.

Proof it works (Screenshots)
    jbhyecjSyiubZp.png

jDIykAyGSS9x5.png

jJFppURSrvDJ7.png
    Description:
    This is a image, and flasher for windows designed to make it so that anyone can flash make a magic SD card to load up CWM, and root their device. THIS IS A UNIVERSAL ROOT, AND CAN BE DONE ON ANY FIRMWARE.

Why:
    There are way to many rooting methods out there for this device, and with so many rooting methods, it is very hard to help trouble shoot a device, and make it so that rooting is available to everyone. Also with the 1.4.1 breaking normal root, it is very hard to teach people how to flash back to the previous 1.4.0, without stepping them through it, and then they have to beat the gun, and root and block OTA's. Also there is a lot of "geometry" involved in making a bootable SD.

What is it?:
    There are two things in this package, the first is a flasher, and an image. These can be used to flash an SD card from windows with CWM, as a bootable SD. The second package is a CWM flashable zip that will add su, superuser, gapps, and the side loading package to your Nook.

What do I need?:
    You will need:
    • SD Card >2GB (all information will be lost, so back it up)
    • Windows
    • Nook Tablet (any Firmware)

Credits:
    Loglud
    Indirect
    Nemith
    Bauwks
    Instructions:

1. Download the packages listed in the download folder, and extract them to your desktop.
    2. extract ALL the files from the single zip.
      NOTE: Do not extract the .zip with superuser and su.
    3. Open the image flasher .exe, and browse for the .img that you extracted from the same zip
    4. Put your SD Card into your nook or reader, and select the drive letter from the drop down on the right.
    5. Press write, and wait
    6. Once it has completed open the SD Card from the Windows browser and place the .zip in the root of the SD card.
    7. Turn your Nook off.
    8. Turn your Nook on while holding both the N+Power button. Your device will turn on, and then turn off after holding it.
      NOTE: Do not let go of either button until your device has powered on and off again.
    9. Put the SD Card into your nook.
      NOTE: If it is already in there eject it and then put it back in.
    10. Power your Nook on normally.
    11. You will see a picture of N on the screen followed by a box with a white background followed by CWM booting up.
    12. Select flash update.zip.
    13. Select Select from SD card.
    14. Select your .zip
    15. Reboot device
      NOTE: Remove the SD card after your device reboots as if you don't it will continue to boot from the SD card.

Downloads:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?dwwhzaixwwh2015
    I just spent the past 3 days trying to root my NT 16gb which auto updated to 1.4.3. I still cant get it to go. Are there any clear instructions on how to do this?

Ok here you go.

Put your SD Card into your computer.

Download the CWM_SD_flash_and_exe from here and unzip them into a folder.

Right Click on the included Win32DiskImager choose Run As Administrator

Make sure that the drive link under Device is showing your SD Card. Change it if it isn't, then click on the folder.

Navigate to the cwm_sd_flashing_boot.img that was included with the zip, then click save.

Then click on Write on Win 32 Disk Imager. It will take ~5 minutes. Once it's done, click exit.

Download the update.zip from here and copy it to your SD Card.

(Optional) Download a Recovery zip image from this thread and put it on the SD Card as well.
    Edit: Most recent CWM can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33730135&postcount=1

Eject the SD Card and put it into your nook.

Power on the Nook and you should see a white background with a box on it, then it should boot into the Recovery.

From there, go to Install Zip from SD Card > Choose Zip from External SD Card and install the update.zip you just downloaded.

(Optional) From the same location in the Recovery, install the Recovery image you just downloaded.

Power off your nook, remove the SD Card, and power it back on. It should boot normally and you should now be rooted.

Warning: I take no responsibility for broken nooks or other damage that may happen. This has worked for me, but that is no indicator if it will work for you.
    You could have made a request rather than bashing. I would have said indirect, can you use zips rather than spitting patents and bashing. That's the thing that makes people quit projects because its not worth the headaches. Maybe resstate bashes as suggestions it helps.

I trust Indirect as well, and have credited him over on the B&N forums. Did you know that? It's the authors of the closed-source compression software that I have the issue with.

As for trolling, if you look at my contributions to repartitioning the NC or rooting the NT, you will find that I have the first root of 1.4.1. Did you know that? I also think Indirect's method here is superior to mine (because it is more general), which is why I am interested in it, and will promote it.

Before you go around with your tiny post/thanks counts calling people "trolls", you might try something even easier than trolling. It's called reading.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Yes I am, and I thank you very much. I think this makes the collection easier for a lot of people.

Hey, both of you, shut up and keep it out of my thread? ^_^
    Clarified Instructions (Revised 2012-02-09)

2012-02-09

Grab This Zip File which includes the application that allows you to write aka "Flash" an .img file (in Windows) and use it along with the Image File (.img) from THIS THREAD. This should be the latest and greatest. The Update.zip file is already included in the image so wherever the instructions say to replace it you can ignore that step. Questions, Comments, Concerns and issues should be directed to the new thread.

Repeated requests to update the OP have been ignored and the instructions below are depreciated because the files have all been revised multiple times and the links are no longer valid.

As someone who has successfully used the Windows Method from This Post I will attempt to clarify the steps.

Indirect has been busy working with other Developers on a Cyanogen Rom for this device and as such has enlisted the help of Brianf21 to troubleshoot issues with the files originally linked in that post above. Unfortunately that post OR the OP have not been revised. This is what you need to do.

1. Download the file listed in Post 14
    2. Download the Revised .img fromThis Post
    3. Download the Revised Update.zip file from This Post
    4. Extract the zip file from step 1 and replace the .img file with the one you downloaded in step 2
    5. Perform Steps 3-5 from Post 14. Make sure you select the NEW .img file from step 2
    6. Perform step 6 from post 14 using the zip file from step 3. NOTE: This zip file will already be on the SD card but NEEDS to be replaced
    7. Complete Steps 7-15 in Post 14

For those of you receiving the Factory Reset screen when trying to boot into CWM. You need to have the USB cable connected. I suggest you connect it prior to Step 7 from post 14. You can use the NT as your card reader as well if you have successfully installed the drivers and just leave the cable connected throughout the entire process.

@Indirect ... I know you are busy but if you get a chance I believe you should add a link to this post in post 14. It will probably save some of us from answering a lot of questions. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Nevermind I found the update.zip link in a post. Might want to update the windows directions with a link so idiots like me don't keep bugging everyone :D

I was typing the clarified instructions while you figured this out. Good job!