Did you know?

Search This thread

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Ok, it's pretty sad that the SGS4G forum has the issues that is does. I have another phone and have been in it's XDA forum as well, to see that people in there aren't as lazy and stupid as some are in this forum. They actually READ the OP, search for answers to their questions before posting them and when they cannot find the answers, then they post to the forum in the appropriate spots with logcat (if available) included! Amazing isn't it... This is why we have lost DEVs. STUPIDITY!
Did you know (and I speak form experience) that if you do not read and follow an OP on how to flash a ROM you could end up with:
1) A bricked phone (super hard bricked too... meaning, NON RECOVERABLE!)
2) A trashed sim card (yeah, I know it isn't that abd, but it is still a pain in the ass to call and deal with customer support to order a new one and then go to the store to pick it up or skip the call and go down to your service provider and pay up to 35 bucks for a new one... that can get pricey after just a few "I do what I want" flash mistakes.
3) A bad flash resulting in an unstable unusable ROM. And then when you decide to flash it correctly, you have lost that time...forever... Oh, and let's not forget the time and space you wasted on here asking the same question 300 other dummies already asked.
There are so many BAD possibilities that could result in not following directions. Didn't your momma teach you to follow directions? There was a reason for it! Plus, didn't your daddy teach you to help yourself first, and then when you had exhausted all options, ask for help?
Granted, I have made these same mistakes before. But I have learned. But there just seems to be SOOOOOOO many of you that just don't get it! To the point that I have actually seen some one ask the a question by quoting the post that contained the answer! That is purely STUPID!
Is this a flame? You damn right it is! But I am not only here to vent my frustrations out on you, but to help you.
Read the rules aka The Ten Commandments, they are simple and easy to follow (I will make a pictorial upon request):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1310270
If you are Noob, which means you have never, or only done it once or twice, flashed a ROM, theme, etc, here is a great link for you to ask many of your questions:
Universal Question Solver
Now before you post in the DEV section assuming you have trolled and spam other forums, use this link to guide you:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=979109
Read the ENTIRE OP for christs sake!
After all that is done, like maybe 10-20 minutes of your time then post a thread IN THE APPROPRIATE SECTION, or reply to a thread with your questions or issues WITH A LOGCAT! Oh, and it doesn't have to be the entire logcat, just the part that pertains to your issue. If you do not know how to read your logcat, you can always post it for free, after registering, here:
pastebin.com

Please guys, FOR THE LOVE OF OUR PHONES, lets try to lay nicely and by the rules...

Last edited:

JuLes' MostWanted

Jan 25, 2012
Chicago, IL
Ok, it's pretty sad that the SGS4G forum has the issues that is does. I have another phone and have been in it's XDA forum as well, to see that people in there aren't as lazy and stupid as some are in this forum. They actually READ the OP, search for answers to their questions before posting them and when they cannot find the answers, then they post to the forum in the appropriate spots with logcat (if available) included! Amazing isn't it... This is why we have lost DEVs. STUPIDITY!
Did you know (and I speak form experience) that if you do not read and follow an OP on how to flash a ROM you could end up with:
2) A trashed sim card (yeah, I know it isn't that abd, but it is still a pain in the ass to call and deal with customer support to order a new one and then go to the store to pick it up or skip the call and go down to your service provider and pay up to 35 bucks for a new one... that can get pricey after just a few "I do what I want" flash mistakes.
3) A bad flash resulting in an unstable unusable ROM. And then when you decide to flash it correctly, you have lost that time...forever... Oh, and let's not forget the time and space you wasted on here asking the same question 300 other dummies already asked.
There are so many BAD possibilities that could result in not following directions. Didn't your momma teach you to follow directions? There was a reason for it! Plus, didn't your daddy teach you to help yourself first, and then when you had exhausted all options, ask for help?
Granted, I have made these same mistakes before. But I have learned. But there just seems to be SOOOOOOO many of you that just don't get it! To the point that I have actually seen some one ask the a question by quoting the post that contained the answer! That is purely STUPID!
Is this a flame? You damn right it is! But I am not only here to vent my frustrations out on you, but to help you.
Read the rules aka The Ten Commandments, they are simple and easy to follow (I will make a pictorial upon request):
If you are Noob, which means you have never, or only done it once or twice, flashed a ROM, theme, etc, here is a great link for you to ask many of your questions:
Now before you post in the DEV section assuming you have trolled and spam other forums, use this link to guide you:
After all that is done, like maybe 10-20 minutes of your time then post a thread IN THE APPROPRIATE SECTION, or reply to a thread with your questions or issues WITH A LOGCAT! Oh, and it doesn't have to be the entire logcat, just the part that pertains to your issue. If you do not know how to read your logcat, you can always post it for free, after registering, here:
pastebin.com

Please guys, FOR THE LOVE OF OUR PHONES, lets try to lay nicely and by the rules...

Nice

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

putsometrebleinit

Nov 27, 2011
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20030358

This has been my homework lately. I think it would help the community to read the same thing. Although it may not really matter. As the warden in Cool Hand Luke so eloquently said, "Some men you just can't reach." I'm also going to try and learn how to read the darn things so I can try to help out even further. But since I'm not terribly familiar with Linux commands it may take a little while.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
Jules is it necessary to quote long post? Really?

hechoen

May 7, 2011
thomas

I here you. It's been done before. People just don't get it. Vent away though.

Jules

What lumin said. A simple nice would have sufficed.

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Thread bump. And sorry dude but the world needs more bass
http://notreble.com
;)
Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA App

Thank you Bassmanjames... For being the prime example of the f**king jackasses that I am talking about. What the hell does a site about bass guitars adn crap have to do with anything I said. I am glad I put this up... We shall call this training for dumbies like you!
And to give you and the rest of your clan a little insight... I use to be totally against the flame... But now I see why it happens... Go troll on crackberry or something...

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
Jules

I trully believe you have good intentions and you want to become this phone dev, but you write too much, quote too much and generally flud all the threads.
I don't think it helps you on the long run. If you want to be a dev - read, search, then read and search and if you really have to, post a private message, otherwise you seem like a noob calling yourself a dev in progress.
Read the 'how to decompile an apk' in the modding forum and all the 'how to make a custom ROM' general forum threads, download root explorer for the trial and error and notepad++ for the updater script and make a productive contribution to the community.

Good luck.

Sent from me

Reactions: lumin30

95Z28

Apr 29, 2011
Just want to throw out there that as bad as this forum may seem, its a hella lot better than some.
I got so sick of the g2x forums I flamed someone (which I make a point to avoid doing) and came back to this phone! (course the main reason is cause this is just a superior device in every way)

Bassmanjames

Jun 3, 2011
San clemente ca
Thank you Bassmanjames... For being the prime example of the f**king jackasses that I am talking about. What the hell does a site about bass guitars adn crap have to do with anything I said. I am glad I put this up... We shall call this training for dumbies like you!
And to give you and the rest of your clan a little insight... I use to be totally against the flame... But now I see why it happens... Go troll on crackberry or something...

LOL glad i could help. Your welcome :) everyone needs to vent once in a while. I have already participated in many general threads about this topic and in accordance with the rules why did you start another? It is sad that the general populous can't search or feels so entitled they don't think they should have to; but, such is life sir, as you can see.

C

chris31jct

Lol nice there thomas. Also, I agree about quoting long posts. I use to cut them just to let the people know what I'm answering or just mention @username and write. Also, no need for signatures or wether you are sending the post from xda premium or free or whatever phone.

In my opinion, this forum sucks because of little moderation by those who can. Threads and posts need to be deleted every now and then. I have made a ticket with xda regarding this but they told me to use the report button... bah. We all have to admit than sometimes threads get to the 1000's post and its difficult to keep track of every post so one has to ask same question because of the useless crap posted and I understand doesn't have an option.

Anyway, if I got to be a noob or a disturbing person... sorry, not my intention as I use to read more than post. If I flamed you... well you probably deserved it and I'm not sorry. I hope this forum gets some massive clean up one day and to see everything organized.

At the end of the day a forum is used to post... and people will post what they want even if its crap like what I just wrote in this post. Lol

Last edited:

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
At the end of the day a forum is used to post... and people will post what they want even if its crap like what I just wrote in this post. Lol

+1000 man!

Take note how I cut down the quote peeps. I left just the meat and potatoes... In the army, we have what is called the K.I.S.S. method...
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

JuLes' MostWanted

Jan 25, 2012
Chicago, IL
I still think that this forum needs more Operatives or Moderator watching out for the forum...
too bad there is only one

Core618

Sep 10, 2010
Worden, IL, USA
Also, no need for signatures or wether you are sending the post from xda premium or free or whatever phone.

It just keeps piling on, pretty soon someone will say there's no need for posting actual posts.
BTW, if you're going to suggest there's no need for signatures, please remove yours :eek:

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but I think some of this is getting out of hand, one extreme to another. From little policing, by those that should, to over policing by those who re self-appointed, Vigilante's as it were.

There are moderators, there are tools to be used for reporting specific threads or posts in case they are overlooked.

Use those tools enough and the PTB's will start paying more attention to this forum maybe, and keeping it a bit more cleaned up.
Our mod seems to have a lot of other forums to police as well... so maybe we can end up with one who has more time to keep an eye on this place.

C

chris31jct

It just keeps piling on, pretty soon someone will say there's no need for posting actual posts.
BTW, if you're going to suggest there's no need for signatures, please remove yours :eek:

I mean the signature from the phone "Sent from T959 using Xda..." you know... not the one here. My bad.

Anyway I stated that people can and will post whatever they want, either be a good post or one ready to get flame. I was just saying my opinion. No offense intended.

Core618

Sep 10, 2010
Worden, IL, USA
I mean the signature from the phone "Sent from T959 using Xda..." you know... not the one here. My bad.

Anyway I stated that people can and will post whatever they want, either be a good post or one ready to get flame. I was just saying my opinion. No offense intended.

None taken, it's extremely hard to offend me anyway.

The XDA app and Tapatalk both add that little signature line by default. It's a single line and takes up less space than most other signatures (my own included, although I did drop my graphic at least)

And yea, people will be people, no matter what the rest of us say or do we're going to continue to see peeps that don't bother to search, they just want someone to spoonfeed them.
They are the same people who, after reading app and/or rom descriptions install/flash and then complain it's not what they expected, and they want this/that/or the other added to it, or removed from it, and they want it now.
Mostly this is because the whole world revolves around them, and these devs are here solely to provide them with everything, for free, without complaint, in a timely manner (timely being instantly!)

No matter how many posts are made referencing the proper way to do things, these same people will ignore them, because they know that the rules don't apply to them, those rules are for the 'other people', the ones the world doesn't revolve around.

So I use my own rules in regards to those wonderful folks. I flag/report the trolls, point out threads that need removed, help those that seem truly lost, yet not demanding, point others to the door.

The mods do respond, usually pretty quickly, to reported threads and posts. They just seem to stealth in and handle it.
I made use of it last night for a thread, when I got up this morning, the thread was gone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    pastebin.com

None taken, it's extremely hard to offend me anyway.

The XDA app and Tapatalk both add that little signature line by default. It's a single line and takes up less space than most other signatures (my own included, although I did drop my graphic at least)

And yea, people will be people, no matter what the rest of us say or do we're going to continue to see peeps that don't bother to search, they just want someone to spoonfeed them.
    They are the same people who, after reading app and/or rom descriptions install/flash and then complain it's not what they expected, and they want this/that/or the other added to it, or removed from it, and they want it now.
    Mostly this is because the whole world revolves around them, and these devs are here solely to provide them with everything, for free, without complaint, in a timely manner (timely being instantly!)

No matter how many posts are made referencing the proper way to do things, these same people will ignore them, because they know that the rules don't apply to them, those rules are for the 'other people', the ones the world doesn't revolve around.

So I use my own rules in regards to those wonderful folks. I flag/report the trolls, point out threads that need removed, help those that seem truly lost, yet not demanding, point others to the door.

The mods do respond, usually pretty quickly, to reported threads and posts. They just seem to stealth in and handle it.
    I made use of it last night for a thread, when I got up this morning, the thread was gone.

LOL glad i could help. Your welcome :) everyone needs to vent once in a while. I have already participated in many general threads about this topic and in accordance with the rules why did you start another? It is sad that the general populous can't search or feels so entitled they don't think they should have to; but, such is life sir, as you can see.

Jules

I trully believe you have good intentions and you want to become this phone dev, but you write too much, quote too much and generally flud all the threads.
    I don't think it helps you on the long run. If you want to be a dev - read, search, then read and search and if you really have to, post a private message, otherwise you seem like a noob calling yourself a dev in progress.
    Read the 'how to decompile an apk' in the modding forum and all the 'how to make a custom ROM' general forum threads, download root explorer for the trial and error and notepad++ for the updater script and make a productive contribution to the community.

Good luck.

Sent from me
    Is there a way to partially quote using the xda app? I'm sure there are people in our Forum who don't have a computer (or are mobile ) and would love to know how to do this.

There is a way... I am on the app doing it now. Play with your settings. I just hit quote and it shows me the quoted part, I select and delete the unneeded part.