Is the Prime Gpu faster (better) than Ipad 2?

Search This thread

eduardmc

Sep 18, 2007
Forget about benchmark, i know how bad the asus prime tegra 3 is at benchmarks because they are not optimize for quad-core. In games videos i have been seeing the graphics for tegra 3 games vs ipad 2 in same games, the tegra 3 is more powerfull with alot more details in games. Not sure if the reason was because the ipad 2 CAN'T do such graphics or because they only want to show off tegra 3 potential.

We all have seen infinity blade 2 in ipad 2 and those are one if not the best graphics right now available for a tablet. Can graphics like this be accomplish with the asus prime hardware or are we left behind.

Is tegra 3 better in graphics than ipad 2?

yes, i believe the tegra 3 graphics are better than the ipad2. (a lot better)

-dimwit-

I know quite a bit about the SGX543MP2 in the iPad 2, and while I don't know so much about the Tegra 3 ULP GeForce, I do not believe the it is more powerful, and it certainly not a lot more powerful. I've looked at GPU whitepapers for the Tegra 2 and I do not believe that Tegra 3 deviates very far from that architecture.

Smartphone GPUs have always held a particular interest for me, and I've written a few technical articles on them. Let me go dig into my resources and I'll see if I can get some concrete numbers on the Tegra 3 GPU. In many ways it's difficult to say that one GPU is better than another; some (like the SGX series) use a different method of rendering, some are designed for higher polygon processing, some focus on fill rate (and these are heavily influenced upon screen resolution), and then there's memory bandwidth availability and clock speeds to consider.

PS - The SGX543MP2 in the iPad 2 is ridiculously powerful. And it's not anything new; that GPU has been out for nearly 4 years. It's just that SoC manufacturers other than Apple have not bothered to implement it in any of their chips yet. It may be due to the fact that it's simply much more powerful than is really necessary, it takes up a fair bit of die space compared to the alternatives, or it may be a cost issue. Understand that I cannot stand Apple and love Android through and through, but also understand that the GPU in the iPad 2 is a monster, no mistake. It crushed Tegra 2 ULP GPU in performance by a large margin.

PS 2 - Understand that the benchmarks not being optimized for quad-core doesn't mean that they aren't accurate when it comes to GPU performance.

Last edited:

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Understand that Tegra3 is the most powerful chip out today and its in The Transformer Prime. Prime is stated by all tech sites to be most powerful tablet out today. Ipad2 wasn't. Ipad2 does have a great gpu but alot more can be done with tegra3 and the games will look better on tegra3. Tegra3 version of Shadowgun blows Ipad version away. No contest in how much more detailed tegra3 version is than Ipad. Same goes for Riptide. If you want the most powerful device out today and probably for next 5-6 months or more, Prime is the only device that can deliver what you want.

Understand that Tegra3 is the most powerful chip out today and its in The Transformer Prime. Prime is stated by all tech sites to be most powerful tablet out today. Ipad2 wasn't. Ipad2 does have a great gpu but alot more can be done with tegra3 and the games will look better on tegra3. Tegra3 version of Shadowgun blows Ipad version away. No contest in how much more detailed tegra3 version is than Ipad. Same goes for Riptide. If you want the most powerful device out today and probably for next 5-6 months or more, Prime is the only device that can deliver what you want.

You don't need to lecture me about the Tegra 3 in the Transformer Prime. I could give you a handy lesson on NVIDIA's latest Cortex-A9 chip, and I would agree that nothing is currently available that is more powerful. But, my friend, CPU and GPU are not one and the same. (Hint - I'm a former paid tech editor on ARM architecture ;) )

Lets not let our fanboism stand in the way of simple fact. I said earlier that the SGX543MP2 is in some ways more powerful than it needs to be, and that's because iPad apps are going to be built to run on the 1st gen iPad as well as the iPad 2, and when you're writing tablet apps to run on a GPU that was also in the iPhone 3GS, you're wasting the processing power available of the iPad 2. "THD" apps are not built with those limitations and of course they'll look better.

That said, I'll stop playing Devil's Advocate and go dig up the truth, as now I'm curious. I don't expect that Tegra 3 will best the SGX543MP2 in typical performance however. I've got some friends in the industry that were benchmarking the Prime well before any articles were written on it.

Last edited:

involver

Apr 4, 2010
I have both at home, myself using the prime and my girlfriend uses the iPad 2 (duh!). From an enduser point of view I can only say that, yes the prime is the more graphically potent tablet. But... sadly there is little good software available as has been the case for a while now when you compare Android tablets to iPads. Sad, but so true...

This seems to pretty handily answer the question:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5163/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-nvidia-tegra-3-review/3

These are benchmarks tested off-screen so screen resolution does not play into things, and the test is a GPU test; CPU quad-core compatibility does not play into it.

As I said in previous posts, the Tegra 3 is definitely a strong step up from Tegra 2 in performance, but does not match the SGX543MP2 in the iPad 2. But, as I also said, as many tablet apps for iOS do not actually make full use of the true power of the SGX543MP2, while THD apps for Android typically are designed to make use of Tegra ULP GeForce processing power, it's a rather pointless argument.

EDIT - And just to satisfy those who might be upset that our GPU is not the absolute best, it's a close second and our CPU kicks the crap out of the competition for now. As is the way of things, in a few months we'll see the Krait Snapdragons take the throne...

EDIT 2 - AnandTech also did a good summary of the differences between the Tegra 2 and Tegra 3 GPUs: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5072/nvidias-tegra-3-launched-architecture-revealed/2

Last edited:

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
You don't need to lecture me about the Tegra 3 in the Transformer Prime. I could give you a handy lesson on NVIDIA's latest Cortex-A9 chip, and I would agree that nothing is currently available that is more powerful. But, my friend, CPU and GPU are not one and the same. (Hint - I'm a former paid tech editor on ARM architecture ;) )

Lets not let our fanboism stand in the way of simple fact. I said earlier that the SGX543MP2 is in some ways more powerful than it needs to be, and that's because iPad apps are going to be built to run on the 1st gen iPad as well as the iPad 2, and when you're writing tablet apps to run on a GPU that was also in the iPhone 3GS, you're wasting the processing power available of the iPad 2. "THD" apps are not built with those limitations and of course they'll look better.

That said, I'll stop playing Devil's Advocate and go dig up the truth, as now I'm curious. I don't expect that Tegra 3 will best the SGX543MP2 in typical performance however. I've got some friends in the industry that were benchmarking the Prime well before any articles were written on it.

That's the point...benchmarks are b.s. anyways. Doesn't translate to real life use. If you a former tech editor like you said then you should know this already. If u wanna compare benchmarks OK. WoW! Ipad2 beats prime in like only 2 graphics benchmarks. PRIME blows it away in all others. Prime is at the top of most benchmark lists of all time Highs anyways. Bring what you you dig up. PRIMe will eat ipad2 for breakfast. And the games will always look better on tegra3 than ipad2. As long as they using the same one. The proof is already there that Android and IOS games on both platforms show Android version being better. You seeming more like an apple fanboy to me. Facts are facts. I don't see anywhere talking about ipad2 has most powerful chipset or gpu. Now I can show you plenty that say that about the prime n tegra3.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5163/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-nvidia-tegra-3-review/3

These are benchmarks tested off-screen so screen resolution does not play into things, and the test is a GPU test; CPU quad-core compatibility does not play into it.

As I said in previous posts, the Tegra 3 is definitely a strong step up from Tegra 2 in performance, but does not match the SGX543MP2 in the iPad 2. But, as I also said, as many tablet apps for iOS do not actually make full use of the true power of the SGX543MP2, while THD apps for Android typically are designed to make use of Tegra ULP GeForce processing power, it's a rather pointless argument.

EDIT - And just to satisfy those who might be upset that our GPU is not the absolute best, it's a close second and our CPU kicks the crap out of the competition for now. As is the way of things, in a few months we'll see the Krait Snapdragons take the throne...

EDIT 2 - AnandTech also did a good summary of the differences between the Tegra 2 and Tegra 3 GPUs: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5072/nvidias-tegra-3-launched-architecture-revealed/2

To be a tech editor, u seem to be misinformed..lol. krait snapdragon or qualcomm chip is crap. They had a horrible showing at CES..right along with Samsung Eyxnos chip and T.I. plus those aare no where near ready due to low yields. Plus when those chips eventually come out, it'll already be surpassed n easily. By what you may ask. THE TEGRA4 KAL EL + or Wayne architecture at 28nm die 8 core or more chip....lmfao. nvidia is taking this mobile chipset game over. They already took over n blew the scene open with first dual core device tegra2. Then everybody copies them and made dual core. Same here with quadcore. They the first with it and people copying. Nvidia already a generation ahead of anyone. Once others quad cores come out, nvidia will have 8 core CPU and like 24 core GPU.
Here some stats n specs to easily make you drool. Other chipsets are nothing.

Screenshot_2012-02-08-02-33-23.jpg

Screenshot_2012-02-08-02-34-27.jpg

Screenshot_2012-01-14-02-35-40.jpg

Screenshot_2012-01-16-08-29-51.jpg

Plus to make the excuse that its not fair to compare Tegra3 THD games to ipad2 is a cop out. Its not nvidia n developers fault that they were smart enough to make use of the tegra3. That's Ipad fault if they made the game to work ln ipad1 n 2. I have an ipad1. And really like it but can't Hold a candle to my Prime. That's why I always said ipad2 not even really much since all games on ipad1 look the same or just as good as the same ones played on ipad2. Ipad2 has very few optimized games for it. IOS does have some heavy hitter games. I do acknowledge the fact that IOS games n apps are more diverse and optimized overall for IOS devices. This is where Android needs to come up at. More tablet only apps n games. Ipad n ipad2 is a beast. Can't deny it. Bit there will be far more potential met with Tegra3.

P.s.: this all is like football....so don't take anything personal. Tegra3 is my team n I guess SGX is yours.
Tegra3 is alot more than just a slight step up from Tegra2. This is a huge step above anything out in the market today. Plus another f.y.I. yes CPU n gpu are 2 different things but one is nothing without the other. A POWERful CPU can make the most out of a gpu n push the envelope of it.

Last edited:

ilostmypistons

Jan 25, 2011
McHenry Il

I dont trust anything from Anandtech anymore I believe they cherry pick bull**** sections of tests to make a certain brand look superior ( hint: Im king Neptune lord and ruler of the seven seas I have spoken)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Wow a thread that is not about whining or telling what works/does not work on their devices! *dance* :D

I'd say its all about optimization when it comes to actual games. Benchmarks are cool to compare if OC actually makes a difference i guess... But to compare totally different chips? Its a hypothetical situation none the less.
If you compare launch titles of console games with what games looks like shortly before the next generation comes out, its quite astonishing. What you can get out of a chip with proper optimization.

Every actual mobile game runs perfectly fine on both chips and absolutely smooth. I'm really looking forward to stuff like the DarkMaedow or DaVinci heroes, real Tegra3 games, not something that got ported. From the trailers they look very nice.
Kinda sad, that my tablet now puts way better graphics on my TV than my home console (wii) :D

But for me there's one big thing people talk much too less about when it comes to comparing ipad and prime in terms of gaming. The prime has full gamepad support. So games like shooters actually make fun.

James Harrison

Jun 3, 2010
Wow a thread that is not about whining or telling what works/does not work on their devices! *dance* :D

I'd say its all about optimization when it comes to actual games. Benchmarks are cool to compare if OC actually makes a difference i guess... But to compare totally different chips? Its a hypothetical situation none the less.
If you compare launch titles of console games with what games looks like shortly before the next generation comes out, its quite astonishing. What you can get out of a chip with proper optimization.

Every actual mobile game runs perfectly fine on both chips and absolutely smooth. I'm really looking forward to stuff like the DarkMaedow or DaVinci heroes, real Tegra3 games, not something that got ported. From the trailers they look very nice.
Kinda sad, that my tablet now puts way better graphics on my TV than my home console (wii) :D

But for me there's one big thing people talk much too less about when it comes to comparing ipad and prime in terms of gaming. The prime has full gamepad support. So games like shooters actually make fun.

I would be very dissapointed if these new tegra 3 games don’t have native hardware dock control support.

I love playing games that support the dock right off the bat, and NOT having support wouldn't make sense because the prime is the only tegra 3 device out there!!

Back on topic.

As for the GPU argument, the mobile tech space is just retarded atm. Developers are not even close to maxing out hardware. Some people think that GTA 3 or glowball is pushing what tegra 3 can do, a 1GHZ desire HD can run GTA 3 fine and glowball runs (almost) fine on my prime when underclocked to 800 mhz!

Go figure :p

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Here are some hardcore facts on Tegra3 and what app n Game developers had to say about tegra3 and its CPU and GPU. We haven't even begun to see what's truly capable yet.

-
First off, windows 7 and windows 8 desktop edition will never work on the prime because they won't run on an ARM processor. Theoretically Windows 8 for ARM could run on the Prime, but it will be very hard to do in practice because Windows 8 ARM will only boot using a secure, verified bootloader which the prime doesn't have.

Even if you could get windows running, current windows applications would not work - windows applications are compiled for x86 processors and would have to be rebuilt in order to work on an ARM platform. So the chance of AAA games like half life 2 are very small.

Finally, even if they were ported, the graphics power of the Prime is still far below what you get in a normal PC these days. GTAIII is getting towards the limit of what you can do on Tegra 3 without some serious device specific optimisation - I don't think half life would run that well at all, although the source engine is very scaleable in terms of performance so it might be somewhat doable.

Huh? GTA 3 pushing limits of tegra3? Lmfao yeah right..that's funny as hell. That game no where near graphics n gsmeplay of Shadowgun THD edition. Actually no game has even come close to pushing the limits of Tegra3 yet. Boy that was funny..lol. tegra2 can push GTA 3 easily. Its already been stated that alot of major PC games would already be easy to port to prime without any loss in graphics or performance. TEGRA3 more powerful than dual core PC. With tegra3 pushing over 5Ghz total from all cores, we have yet to see anything even make tegra3 sweat yet. This is the only tegra3 device and its barely over a month old.

Here are some facts on Tegra3 and what app n game developers had to say about it.

NVIDIA Quad-Core Tegra 3 Chip Sets New Standards of Mobile Computing Performance, Energy Efficiency

Tegra 3's Fifth 'Companion' Core Enables Ultra-Low Power Consumption, While Advanced Quad-Core Processors Drive Record-Breaking Performance

SANTA CLARA, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 11/08/2011 -- NVIDIA today ushered in the era of quad-core mobile computing with the introduction of the NVIDIA® Tegra® 3 processor, bringing PC-class performance levels, better battery life and improved mobile experiences to tablets and phones. The world's first quad-core tablet with the Tegra 3 processor is the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime.

Known previously by the codename "Project Kal-El," the Tegra 3 processor provides up to 3x the graphics performance of Tegra 2, and up to 61 percent lower power consumption. This translates

NVIDIA's Tegra 3 quad-core processor brings PC-class

into an industry-leading 12 hours of battery life for

performance levels, better battery life and improved mobile

HD video playback.

experiences to tablets and phones.

The Tegra 3 processor implements a new, patent-pending technology known as Variable Symmetric Multiprocessing (vSMP). vSMP includes a fifth CPU "companion," specifically designed for work requiring little power. The four main cores are specifically designed for work requiring high performance, and generally consume less power than dual-core processors.

During tasks that require less power consumption -- like listening to music, playing back video or updating background data -- the Tegra 3 processor completely shuts down its four performance-tuned cores and, instead, uses its companion core. For high-performance tasks -- like web browsing, multitasking and gaming -- the Tegra 3 processor disables the companion.

The ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime is the world's first

"NVIDIA's fifth core is ingenious," said Nathan

quad-core tablet with Tegra 3.

Brookwood, Research Fellow at Insight 64. "Tegra 3's vSMP technology extends the battery life of next-generation mobile devices by using less power when they're handling undemanding tasks and then ratcheting up performance when it's really needed."

The Tegra 3 quad-core CPUs are complemented with a new 12-core NVIDIA GeForce® GPU, which delivers more realism with dynamic lighting, physical effects and high resolution environments, plus support for 3D stereo, giving developers the means to bring the next generation of mobile games to life.

Tegra 3 provides the fastest, highest-quality gaming,

For the millions who play games on mobile devices,

including new Tegra 3-optimized TegraZone games such as

the Tegra 3 processor provides an experience

Shadowgun, Riptide GP, Bladeslinger and Sprinkle.

comparable to that of a game console. It offers full game-controller support, enabling consumers to play games on their tablet or super phone, or connect to big screen HDTVs for a truly immersive experience. It also leverages NVIDIA's award-winning 3D Vision technology and automatically converts OpenGL applications to stereo 3D, so consumers can experience 3D on a big screen 3D TV (via HDMI™ 1.4 technology).

The Tegra 3 processor provides the industry's....

Fastest web experience - with accelerated Adobe Flash Player 11, HTML5 and WebGL browsing, and an optimized Javascript engine Fastest applications - with blazing performance for multimedia apps, such as photo and video editing Fastest multitasking - for switching between common uses, such as playing music and games, and background tasks Fastest, highest-quality gaming - including new Tegra 3 processor-optimized NVIDIA Tegra Zone™ app games such as Shadowgun, Riptide GP, Sprinkle, Big Top THD, Bladeslinger, DaVinci THD and Chidori.

Highlights / Key Facts:

The Tegra 3 processor redefines power consumption and mobile-computing performance with: The world's first quad-core ARM Cortex A9 CPU New patent-pending vSMP technology, including a fifth CPU core that runs at a lower frequency and operates at exceptionally low power 12-core GeForce GPU, with 3x the graphics performance of the Tegra 2 processor, including support for stereoscopic 3D New video engines with support for 1080p high profile video at 40 Mbps Up to 3x higher memory bandwidth Up to 2x faster Image Signal Processor 40 games are expected to be available by the end of 2011, and over 15 Tegra 3 games are under development for Tegra Zone, NVIDIA's free Android Market app that showcases the best games optimized for the Tegra processor.

NVIDIA's 'Glowball Part 2' demo shows off what's possible in mobile graphics thanks to Tegra 3's quad-core technology.

The Tegra 3 processor is in production. Developers can order the Tegra 3 Developer Kit to create applications for devices with Tegra such as tablets and super phones, at developer.nvidia.com/tegra.

Quotes: NVIDIA, ASUS

"The Eee Pad Transformer Prime is a category-defining product. Powered by Tegra 3, it launches us into a new era of mobile computing, in which quad-core performance and super energy-efficiency provide capabilities never available before. With Transformer Prime, ASUS has once again led the industry into the next generation." - Jen-Hsun Huang, President and Chief Executive Officer, NVIDIA

"Tegra 3 is a marvel. Its quad-core CPU, 12-core GeForce GPU and vSMP technology are revolutionary. We worked closely with NVIDIA to build the ultimate tablet -- the Eee Pad Transformer Prime -- that delivers a magical, uncompromised experience to consumers." - Jerry Shen, CEO at ASUS

Key Game Developers

"Thanks to Tegra 3's quad-core CPUs, Shadowgun looks and plays the best on Tegra. Consumers are going to love the quad-core Shadowgun version -- which features rag doll physics, console quality water simulation, particle effects, enhanced shaders, dynamic textures, and more." - Marek Rabas, CEO of Madfinger Games

"Riptide GP showed how Tegra brought mobile gaming on Android to new heights. Tegra 3's quad-core performance has allowed us to add a whole set of exclusive new features -- improved water visuals, splash effects, motion blur -- that pushes the experience to an entirely new level." - Matt Small, Creative Director at Vector Unit

"Working with NVIDIA makes the impossible possible. Our Tegra 3 optimized game DaVinci THD will look brilliant when it comes out, with mind-blowing 3D graphics and intuitive touchscreen interface. DaVinci THD will leverage Tegra 3 for its multi-threading capabilities, so we can scale across all four CPU cores and deliver the ultimate console-quality performance. As a result, DaVinci THD will be more realistic, interactive and challenging than anything we've done before." - Kijong Kang, VP and Executive Producer at Bridea Corporation

"Combining BitSquid's tech engine with Tegra 3's quad core architecture means a gaming experience like no other. Gamers are going to really see the next-generation gaming experience in Hamilton's Great Adventure THD." - Martin Wahlund, CEO at Fatshark

"With Tegra 3, NVIDIA has shattered the usual constraints on the quality of mobile device experiences. By enabling tablets and smartphones to operate at an exceptional level, it allows developers like Zen Studios to create console-quality experiences that can be enjoyed anywhere, anytime. The quad-core fueled graphics and physics in Zen Pinball THD are simply incredible and represent the premier mobile pinball experience. You can only get that on devices built on Tegra 3." - Mel Kirk, Vice President of Marketing and Public Relations at Zen Studios

"Quad-core chips are raising the stakes for mobile gaming. With Tegra 3, we can render even more content with better animations on Bladeslinger THD -- all while consuming less power. This is a recipe for all-day game play." - Sam Williams, General Manager at Luma Arcade

"Tegra 3 is making much more complex gaming environments possible on mobile platforms. Gamers are going to be amazed by the level of graphical detail and realistic physics that come through in quad-core enhanced games like Soulcraft THD." - Karsten Wysk, CEO of Mobile Bits

"As we've seen on Big Top THD, gaming performance on Tegra 3's quad-core architecture is unmatched. From the high quality shadows to improved tent animation and high-dive splash effects, Tegra 3's 12-core GPU delivers the best gaming experience and uses the lowest power you'll see on a mobile device." - Robert Troughton, CEO at Pitbull Studio Ltd.

"Tegra 3's quad-cores bring out the best in our Substance smart texturing engine. The CPU and GPU parallel processing allows mobile game developers to add never-seen animated visual effects and textures to their games, translating into an absolutely stunning visual experience on mobile." - Sébastien Deguy, CEO and Founder at Allegorithmic

"Tegra 3's quad-core processor and 12-core GPU allows developers to port PC and console game titles using BitSquid Tech for the same great experience on any device. From a hard-core gamer's customized PC to a phone or tablet with Tegra, you'll get identical game play and buttery smooth graphics, anywhere any time." - Tobias Persson, Co-Founder and Rendering Architect at BitSquid Tech

"We're excited to bring the definitive version of Siegecraft to Tegra 3. Its amazing graphics performance and quad-core scaling let us amp up the game to the max -- more physics, more units, more Siegecraft!" - Benjamin Lee, Managing Director at Blowfish Studios

"Thanks to Tegra 3's fantastic GPU performance we were able to use the same quality textures in Zombie Driver THD as on the PC. The outstanding quad-core CPU performance makes it possible to support Tegra game development in parallel to other high-end platforms." - Pawel Lekki, Chief Operating Officer at Exor Studios

"Quad-core technology has changed how we approach mobile game development. Tegra 3 helped us create Jett Tailfin Racers THD -- an eight-player game with the highest resolution textures, underwater caustics and anisotropic shading we've ever seen on a mobile device." - Manny Granillo, President at Hoplite Research

"Mobile gaming is about to take a huge leap forward with Tegra 3. Its GPU gives us access to higher-resolution textures and far better effects. And its four CPUs make Euphoria's gameplay smoother, more interactive and quality that's close to a console." - Keiichi Yano, Co-Founder and VP of Development at iNiS

"It's incredible what Tegra 3's quad-core architecture brings to mobile gaming. As good as Combat Arms looks on a tablet, it looks 1000 times better when you connect it to your HDTV, strap on game controllers and sit back to enjoy a real 3D console-gaming experience with Combat Arms: Zombies THD." - Albert Rim, CEO at Nexon Mobile Corporation

"With the Tegra 3 processor, NVIDIA is once again painting new horizons for technology on wireless platforms. We're excited to see how the thousands of developers using Unity to create interactive 3D content will take advantage of the extra power that NVIDIA's quad-core technology provides." - Tony Garcia, Vice President of Business Development at Unity Technologies

"Tegra 3 is equivalent to a console game machine, and we believe devices with it will play an important part in next-generation games. We've been working on optimizing our cross-platform engine Chidori to fully support Tegra 3. To support Tegra 3's multi-core engine, we've optimized our 3D effect tool. And we've adapted our high-quality shader library, Aoi, to Tegra 3, allowing truly beautiful imagery." - Katsunori Yamaji, CEO and Executive Producer at Premium Agency Inc.

"By harnessing the strength of Tegra 3's 12-core GPU in our multiplatform middleware, game developers can easily port titles to Tegra 3 and achieve true console-quality graphics. Tegra 3's quad-core architecture and Orochi's multicore-enhanced, game-engine technology is going to spur the evolution of games on quad-core mobile devices." - Takehiko Terada, President and CEO at Silicon Studio Corporation

"We're totally pumped by the potential of Tegra 3's quad-core CPU and 12-core GPU. They'll bring console-quality experiences to mobile devices, and we're working to bring an amazing title to the Tegra platform. Stay tuned for our announcement of a great Tegra 3-optimized title in the coming months." - Richie Casper, Creative Director at Acquire Corp.

"NVIDIA's GPU architecture delivers the best gaming experience, bringing true console-quality games to mobile devices. Our Lost Planet 2 test demo makes it clear -- the quad-core muscle of Tegra 3 brings hyper-realistic visuals, smooth frame rates and sharp images. The result is a whole new level of realism to content for smartphones and tablets." - Jun Takeuchi, Deputy Head of Consumer Games at Capcom

"Tegra 3 is a huge leap forward in mobile computing. Using its quad-core capabilities, we were able to improve all of Sprinkle's visual effects, plus add a whole new layer of smoke simulation." - Dennis Gustafsson, Co-Founder of Mediocre

"We're floored by everything we've seen in Tegra 3. Its four cores, coupled with amazing graphics performance, will let us bring awesome gaming experiences to the Tegra platform next year." - Carlo Perconti, CEO at HyperDevBox

Key Content Partners

"Flash-based apps packaged with AIR allow content creators to deliver premium gaming and video experiences, while HTML5 apps built with PhoneGap enable fantastic, general-purpose mobile apps. We continue our close partnership with NVIDIA to ensure that these visually rich, highly-interactive apps can significantly benefit from Tegra 3's enhanced CPU and GPU horsepower." - Jennifer Carr, Senior Director, Business Development at Adobe

"We've been developing multimedia applications on Tegra 3 for some time now. The quad-core processing muscle will allow some new apps and use-cases that consumers are going to love." - George Tang, General Manager and VP of the Video and Entertainment Group at ArcSoft

"Tegra 3's quad-core performance makes a huge difference for photo and augmented reality apps. Our Photaf Panorama Pro THD app runs more than 40% faster, and Face Costume gets over 60 percent speedup over comparable dual-core processors. Quad core opens up new possibilities for future application development, especially in the field of computer vision." - Oren Bengigi, CEO at Bengigi Studio

"Tegra 3 gives us the quad-core horsepower to really push the envelope on cool video editing effects, smooth video playback, augmented reality camera and other challenging applications. With Tegra 3, we're delivering real-time compositing and preview of simultaneous 1080p HD streams and graphics on a mobile device -- that's amazing." - Alice H. Chang, CEO at Cyberlink

"Seamless, compelling Augmented Reality (AR) experiences demand that all of the pieces of a mobile device work together. Metaio's AR software requires optimized mobile hardware to make the way we access digital information a more natural experience. Tegra 3 delivers the multi-core CPU performance required for advanced vision processing while bringing a tremendous boost in GPU performance. Working with Tegra's software stack will make it possible for us to utilize all of those capabilities towards building an Augmented World." - Dr. Thomas Alt, CEO at metaio

"Tegra 3's combination of HD video playback performance and extended battery life will give Netflix members a fantastic experience as they watch movies and TV episodes streaming from Netflix via their Android devices." - Bill Holmes, Vice President of Business Development at Netflix

"Tegra 3 gives us the horsepower we need to bring a PC-quality photo editing experience to mobile devices through applications like Snapseed, by Nik Software." - Michael Slater, President and CEO at Nik Software

"By collaborating with NVIDIA, we are able to bring advanced multi-touch and pen capabilities to the tablet market, providing the Android user with a smoother and richer user experience, and enhancing the tablet from a basic consumption device to one that offers more personal and creative capabilities. The processing strength provided by Tegra 3's additional cores will enable application developers to dedicate CPU cycles to UI processing and provide an enriched pen solution for artistic, enterprise and educational applications." - Amichai Ben David, CEO of N-Trig

"The tablet and mobile device market are exploding and productivity applications are central to this growth. As the most widely distributed mobile office software, we are excited to partner with NVIDIA to take advantage of the enhanced capabilities inherent in the Tegra 3 quad-core chip to bring continued innovation in the marketplace." - David Halpin, VP of Engineering at Quickoffice

"Splashtop plus Tegra 3 offers users an unparalleled cross-device experience. Splashtop enables sharing content among smart phones, tablets, and TVs, and combined with Tegra 3's quad-core processing muscle, it can support 30 frames-per-second video with extremely low latency --perfect for games and multimedia!" - Mark Lee, CEO and Co-Founder of Splashtop

"WebGL is being rapidly adopted on HTML5-capable desktop, laptop and netbook systems, and now NVIDIA is helping to bring WebGL to Android. Tegra 3 delivers an incredible level of performance --the four cores provide the multi-threading horsepower needed to drive a complete browser stack including highly interactive 3D." - Ken Russell, Chair, WebGL Working Group

"Tegra already provides the fastest platform for silky smooth magazine reading on Android. The quad-core capabilities of Tegra 3 will help us further accelerate and enhance the complete browsing, downloading and reading experience." - Vandan Parikh, Director, Reading and Mobile Technologies at Zinio. :cool:

Reactions: jjdevega

eduardmc

Sep 18, 2007
Did i just start a war between ipad and prime fanboys? i was never meant to be like that, i was only asking a question :D

Spidey01

Sep 16, 2011
Duluth
Is it just my two cents or has Electrofreak been the only one to contribute usefulness to this post? Everything else I've read here seems to have enough signal to noise ratio that I feel like it's a huddle, and I don't play football.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Reactions: undercover
Electrofreak is 100% correct on his statements, Tegra 3 delivers 300% more graphics performance, but is still slightly lower than A5 iPad 2 GPU.

Indeed, that's all I said, and I even pointed out that iOS apps don't make full use of the SGX543MP2 in the iPad 2. But I stepped on some toes and I revealed that I used to get paid for my opinion, and thus I invoked the fanboi wrath.

Anyone can quote any source they want to make any point. I could spend an hour writing a counter-point post citing half a dozen other sources that could prove definitively that the moon is made of cheese. And frankly, I trust AnandTech more than most others. Half of the tech websites out there are getting paid to skew their numbers. No matter what anyone says, AnandTech has proven the most informative and the least biased I've seen, consistently.

I know people who were at CES and I've talked with them privately about Krait, Exynos, Wolfsdale, and other SoCs. Exynos is frankly the one that appeared most impressive at CES, but knowing what I know about Qualcomm (the fact that they actually have an architecture license unlike most SoC manufacturers) and the large amount of R&D they invest into SoC development means that they should not be idly dismissed. NVIDIA, for example, just purchased a similar license at considerable expense so as to remain competitive.

Anyhow, I'm a former editor for a reason; I had to extract myself from the constant obsession with ARM hardware because it's never-ending and takes up way too much time. I type this post on a Transformer Prime that I got for free, and I know little more than the basics of it's SoC layout because if I really went and dug into the whitepapers like I used to, I probably wouldn't have time for things that are a lot more important (my family, for a start). It may seem silly, but I really did waste a ridiculous amount of time reading about ARM.

Sometimes, you don't have to know everything about something to enjoy it. To answer the OP, no, it's not as powerful as the iPad 2. But the iPad 2 blows, Android FTW. :)

PS - A long list of quotes praising the Transformer Prime and Tegra 3 as provided by NVIDIA and ASUS was actually used to reinforce a point in this thread. Thanks for the chuckle!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

yes, i believe the tegra 3 graphics are better than the ipad2. (a lot better)

-dimwit-

I know quite a bit about the SGX543MP2 in the iPad 2, and while I don't know so much about the Tegra 3 ULP GeForce, I do not believe the it is more powerful, and it certainly not a lot more powerful. I've looked at GPU whitepapers for the Tegra 2 and I do not believe that Tegra 3 deviates very far from that architecture.

Smartphone GPUs have always held a particular interest for me, and I've written a few technical articles on them. Let me go dig into my resources and I'll see if I can get some concrete numbers on the Tegra 3 GPU. In many ways it's difficult to say that one GPU is better than another; some (like the SGX series) use a different method of rendering, some are designed for higher polygon processing, some focus on fill rate (and these are heavily influenced upon screen resolution), and then there's memory bandwidth availability and clock speeds to consider.

PS - The SGX543MP2 in the iPad 2 is ridiculously powerful. And it's not anything new; that GPU has been out for nearly 4 years. It's just that SoC manufacturers other than Apple have not bothered to implement it in any of their chips yet. It may be due to the fact that it's simply much more powerful than is really necessary, it takes up a fair bit of die space compared to the alternatives, or it may be a cost issue. Understand that I cannot stand Apple and love Android through and through, but also understand that the GPU in the iPad 2 is a monster, no mistake. It crushed Tegra 2 ULP GPU in performance by a large margin.

PS 2 - Understand that the benchmarks not being optimized for quad-core doesn't mean that they aren't accurate when it comes to GPU performance.
    Goes to show that android fanboys can be just as clueless as apple fanboys (and if you take that personally...well). The Imgtec PowerVR GPU in the ipad2 (and iphone 4s) is crazy powerful, far more than the half assed GPU on the tegra 3. I hate to be devils advocte here (I do love my prime) , but do some research on the tegra 3, and you'll see pretty quickly how many shortcuts nvidia had to take in order to get it to market on time.

Go take out an ipad 2 and play some (optimized) games on it, the difference is quite obvious. Yes, the tegra 3 is quite a good processor, with a decently good GPU. Yes, the tighter pixel density on the prime partially negates the need for any level of anti aliasing. Yes nvidia is making a handful of games that are completely optimized for it, but that doesnt change the hardware. Funny how quick people are to point out benchmarks when they go their way, but talk about how "useless" they are when they don't.

And the reason that no other chipset maufacturer (Quall, TI, Sammy, etc.) is using the 543, and its obvious superiority, is because apple signed an agreement with Imagination Technologies to be the exclusive consumer of the chipset. Luckily for us, this exclusitivity ends with Imgtecs next offering, the SGX 544. On top of that ARMs in-house Mali GPUs are looking to compete on level with Imgtec, so that potentially puts out two monster GPUs that could be coming out this year. Part of the reason people are so misinformed about GPU performance is due to it's obscurity, so chipset manufacturers have been getting away with sticking crap GPUs on their chipsets...as long as the number of CPU cores and GHz is high, people don't bat an eyebrow. That being said, if it makes you feel better, the tegra 3, has one of the most powerful GPUs of any android device on market (pretty similar to the mali400 on exynos 4xxx devices, but ill give nvidia the optimization advantage since we're looking at high performance end)

If you do happen to be one of the few that care about GPU performance, it will come as good news to you that TIs next generation of chipsets will have the SGX 544 GPU, which will finally put android on a competing edge with apple for GPU performance; however, TI has also made it clear that none of their next generation chipsets will be a quad core... So, it's a tradeoff. All I know is that I'm jumping off the nvidia boat as soon as optimized low power process quad core chipsets start hitting market, I appreciate them being prompt in getting their product to market, but I don't appreciate their business ethic.
    Here are some hardcore facts on Tegra3 and what app n Game developers had to say about tegra3 and its CPU and GPU. We haven't even begun to see what's truly capable yet.

-
    First off, windows 7 and windows 8 desktop edition will never work on the prime because they won't run on an ARM processor. Theoretically Windows 8 for ARM could run on the Prime, but it will be very hard to do in practice because Windows 8 ARM will only boot using a secure, verified bootloader which the prime doesn't have.

Even if you could get windows running, current windows applications would not work - windows applications are compiled for x86 processors and would have to be rebuilt in order to work on an ARM platform. So the chance of AAA games like half life 2 are very small.

Finally, even if they were ported, the graphics power of the Prime is still far below what you get in a normal PC these days. GTAIII is getting towards the limit of what you can do on Tegra 3 without some serious device specific optimisation - I don't think half life would run that well at all, although the source engine is very scaleable in terms of performance so it might be somewhat doable.

Huh? GTA 3 pushing limits of tegra3? Lmfao yeah right..that's funny as hell. That game no where near graphics n gsmeplay of Shadowgun THD edition. Actually no game has even come close to pushing the limits of Tegra3 yet. Boy that was funny..lol. tegra2 can push GTA 3 easily. Its already been stated that alot of major PC games would already be easy to port to prime without any loss in graphics or performance. TEGRA3 more powerful than dual core PC. With tegra3 pushing over 5Ghz total from all cores, we have yet to see anything even make tegra3 sweat yet. This is the only tegra3 device and its barely over a month old.

Here are some facts on Tegra3 and what app n game developers had to say about it.

NVIDIA Quad-Core Tegra 3 Chip Sets New Standards of Mobile Computing Performance, Energy Efficiency

Tegra 3's Fifth 'Companion' Core Enables Ultra-Low Power Consumption, While Advanced Quad-Core Processors Drive Record-Breaking Performance

SANTA CLARA, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 11/08/2011 -- NVIDIA today ushered in the era of quad-core mobile computing with the introduction of the NVIDIA® Tegra® 3 processor, bringing PC-class performance levels, better battery life and improved mobile experiences to tablets and phones. The world's first quad-core tablet with the Tegra 3 processor is the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime.

Known previously by the codename "Project Kal-El," the Tegra 3 processor provides up to 3x the graphics performance of Tegra 2, and up to 61 percent lower power consumption. This translates

NVIDIA's Tegra 3 quad-core processor brings PC-class

into an industry-leading 12 hours of battery life for

performance levels, better battery life and improved mobile

HD video playback.

experiences to tablets and phones.

The Tegra 3 processor implements a new, patent-pending technology known as Variable Symmetric Multiprocessing (vSMP). vSMP includes a fifth CPU "companion," specifically designed for work requiring little power. The four main cores are specifically designed for work requiring high performance, and generally consume less power than dual-core processors.

During tasks that require less power consumption -- like listening to music, playing back video or updating background data -- the Tegra 3 processor completely shuts down its four performance-tuned cores and, instead, uses its companion core. For high-performance tasks -- like web browsing, multitasking and gaming -- the Tegra 3 processor disables the companion.

The ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime is the world's first

"NVIDIA's fifth core is ingenious," said Nathan

quad-core tablet with Tegra 3.

Brookwood, Research Fellow at Insight 64. "Tegra 3's vSMP technology extends the battery life of next-generation mobile devices by using less power when they're handling undemanding tasks and then ratcheting up performance when it's really needed."

The Tegra 3 quad-core CPUs are complemented with a new 12-core NVIDIA GeForce® GPU, which delivers more realism with dynamic lighting, physical effects and high resolution environments, plus support for 3D stereo, giving developers the means to bring the next generation of mobile games to life.

Tegra 3 provides the fastest, highest-quality gaming,

For the millions who play games on mobile devices,

including new Tegra 3-optimized TegraZone games such as

the Tegra 3 processor provides an experience

Shadowgun, Riptide GP, Bladeslinger and Sprinkle.

comparable to that of a game console. It offers full game-controller support, enabling consumers to play games on their tablet or super phone, or connect to big screen HDTVs for a truly immersive experience. It also leverages NVIDIA's award-winning 3D Vision technology and automatically converts OpenGL applications to stereo 3D, so consumers can experience 3D on a big screen 3D TV (via HDMI™ 1.4 technology).

The Tegra 3 processor provides the industry's....

Fastest web experience - with accelerated Adobe Flash Player 11, HTML5 and WebGL browsing, and an optimized Javascript engine Fastest applications - with blazing performance for multimedia apps, such as photo and video editing Fastest multitasking - for switching between common uses, such as playing music and games, and background tasks Fastest, highest-quality gaming - including new Tegra 3 processor-optimized NVIDIA Tegra Zone™ app games such as Shadowgun, Riptide GP, Sprinkle, Big Top THD, Bladeslinger, DaVinci THD and Chidori.

Highlights / Key Facts:

The Tegra 3 processor redefines power consumption and mobile-computing performance with: The world's first quad-core ARM Cortex A9 CPU New patent-pending vSMP technology, including a fifth CPU core that runs at a lower frequency and operates at exceptionally low power 12-core GeForce GPU, with 3x the graphics performance of the Tegra 2 processor, including support for stereoscopic 3D New video engines with support for 1080p high profile video at 40 Mbps Up to 3x higher memory bandwidth Up to 2x faster Image Signal Processor 40 games are expected to be available by the end of 2011, and over 15 Tegra 3 games are under development for Tegra Zone, NVIDIA's free Android Market app that showcases the best games optimized for the Tegra processor.

NVIDIA's 'Glowball Part 2' demo shows off what's possible in mobile graphics thanks to Tegra 3's quad-core technology.

The Tegra 3 processor is in production. Developers can order the Tegra 3 Developer Kit to create applications for devices with Tegra such as tablets and super phones, at developer.nvidia.com/tegra.

Quotes: NVIDIA, ASUS

"The Eee Pad Transformer Prime is a category-defining product. Powered by Tegra 3, it launches us into a new era of mobile computing, in which quad-core performance and super energy-efficiency provide capabilities never available before. With Transformer Prime, ASUS has once again led the industry into the next generation." - Jen-Hsun Huang, President and Chief Executive Officer, NVIDIA

"Tegra 3 is a marvel. Its quad-core CPU, 12-core GeForce GPU and vSMP technology are revolutionary. We worked closely with NVIDIA to build the ultimate tablet -- the Eee Pad Transformer Prime -- that delivers a magical, uncompromised experience to consumers." - Jerry Shen, CEO at ASUS

Key Game Developers

"Thanks to Tegra 3's quad-core CPUs, Shadowgun looks and plays the best on Tegra. Consumers are going to love the quad-core Shadowgun version -- which features rag doll physics, console quality water simulation, particle effects, enhanced shaders, dynamic textures, and more." - Marek Rabas, CEO of Madfinger Games

"Riptide GP showed how Tegra brought mobile gaming on Android to new heights. Tegra 3's quad-core performance has allowed us to add a whole set of exclusive new features -- improved water visuals, splash effects, motion blur -- that pushes the experience to an entirely new level." - Matt Small, Creative Director at Vector Unit

"Working with NVIDIA makes the impossible possible. Our Tegra 3 optimized game DaVinci THD will look brilliant when it comes out, with mind-blowing 3D graphics and intuitive touchscreen interface. DaVinci THD will leverage Tegra 3 for its multi-threading capabilities, so we can scale across all four CPU cores and deliver the ultimate console-quality performance. As a result, DaVinci THD will be more realistic, interactive and challenging than anything we've done before." - Kijong Kang, VP and Executive Producer at Bridea Corporation

"Combining BitSquid's tech engine with Tegra 3's quad core architecture means a gaming experience like no other. Gamers are going to really see the next-generation gaming experience in Hamilton's Great Adventure THD." - Martin Wahlund, CEO at Fatshark

"With Tegra 3, NVIDIA has shattered the usual constraints on the quality of mobile device experiences. By enabling tablets and smartphones to operate at an exceptional level, it allows developers like Zen Studios to create console-quality experiences that can be enjoyed anywhere, anytime. The quad-core fueled graphics and physics in Zen Pinball THD are simply incredible and represent the premier mobile pinball experience. You can only get that on devices built on Tegra 3." - Mel Kirk, Vice President of Marketing and Public Relations at Zen Studios

"Quad-core chips are raising the stakes for mobile gaming. With Tegra 3, we can render even more content with better animations on Bladeslinger THD -- all while consuming less power. This is a recipe for all-day game play." - Sam Williams, General Manager at Luma Arcade

"Tegra 3 is making much more complex gaming environments possible on mobile platforms. Gamers are going to be amazed by the level of graphical detail and realistic physics that come through in quad-core enhanced games like Soulcraft THD." - Karsten Wysk, CEO of Mobile Bits

"As we've seen on Big Top THD, gaming performance on Tegra 3's quad-core architecture is unmatched. From the high quality shadows to improved tent animation and high-dive splash effects, Tegra 3's 12-core GPU delivers the best gaming experience and uses the lowest power you'll see on a mobile device." - Robert Troughton, CEO at Pitbull Studio Ltd.

"Tegra 3's quad-cores bring out the best in our Substance smart texturing engine. The CPU and GPU parallel processing allows mobile game developers to add never-seen animated visual effects and textures to their games, translating into an absolutely stunning visual experience on mobile." - Sébastien Deguy, CEO and Founder at Allegorithmic

"Tegra 3's quad-core processor and 12-core GPU allows developers to port PC and console game titles using BitSquid Tech for the same great experience on any device. From a hard-core gamer's customized PC to a phone or tablet with Tegra, you'll get identical game play and buttery smooth graphics, anywhere any time." - Tobias Persson, Co-Founder and Rendering Architect at BitSquid Tech

"We're excited to bring the definitive version of Siegecraft to Tegra 3. Its amazing graphics performance and quad-core scaling let us amp up the game to the max -- more physics, more units, more Siegecraft!" - Benjamin Lee, Managing Director at Blowfish Studios

"Thanks to Tegra 3's fantastic GPU performance we were able to use the same quality textures in Zombie Driver THD as on the PC. The outstanding quad-core CPU performance makes it possible to support Tegra game development in parallel to other high-end platforms." - Pawel Lekki, Chief Operating Officer at Exor Studios

"Quad-core technology has changed how we approach mobile game development. Tegra 3 helped us create Jett Tailfin Racers THD -- an eight-player game with the highest resolution textures, underwater caustics and anisotropic shading we've ever seen on a mobile device." - Manny Granillo, President at Hoplite Research

"Mobile gaming is about to take a huge leap forward with Tegra 3. Its GPU gives us access to higher-resolution textures and far better effects. And its four CPUs make Euphoria's gameplay smoother, more interactive and quality that's close to a console." - Keiichi Yano, Co-Founder and VP of Development at iNiS

"It's incredible what Tegra 3's quad-core architecture brings to mobile gaming. As good as Combat Arms looks on a tablet, it looks 1000 times better when you connect it to your HDTV, strap on game controllers and sit back to enjoy a real 3D console-gaming experience with Combat Arms: Zombies THD." - Albert Rim, CEO at Nexon Mobile Corporation

"With the Tegra 3 processor, NVIDIA is once again painting new horizons for technology on wireless platforms. We're excited to see how the thousands of developers using Unity to create interactive 3D content will take advantage of the extra power that NVIDIA's quad-core technology provides." - Tony Garcia, Vice President of Business Development at Unity Technologies

"Tegra 3 is equivalent to a console game machine, and we believe devices with it will play an important part in next-generation games. We've been working on optimizing our cross-platform engine Chidori to fully support Tegra 3. To support Tegra 3's multi-core engine, we've optimized our 3D effect tool. And we've adapted our high-quality shader library, Aoi, to Tegra 3, allowing truly beautiful imagery." - Katsunori Yamaji, CEO and Executive Producer at Premium Agency Inc.

"By harnessing the strength of Tegra 3's 12-core GPU in our multiplatform middleware, game developers can easily port titles to Tegra 3 and achieve true console-quality graphics. Tegra 3's quad-core architecture and Orochi's multicore-enhanced, game-engine technology is going to spur the evolution of games on quad-core mobile devices." - Takehiko Terada, President and CEO at Silicon Studio Corporation

"We're totally pumped by the potential of Tegra 3's quad-core CPU and 12-core GPU. They'll bring console-quality experiences to mobile devices, and we're working to bring an amazing title to the Tegra platform. Stay tuned for our announcement of a great Tegra 3-optimized title in the coming months." - Richie Casper, Creative Director at Acquire Corp.

"NVIDIA's GPU architecture delivers the best gaming experience, bringing true console-quality games to mobile devices. Our Lost Planet 2 test demo makes it clear -- the quad-core muscle of Tegra 3 brings hyper-realistic visuals, smooth frame rates and sharp images. The result is a whole new level of realism to content for smartphones and tablets." - Jun Takeuchi, Deputy Head of Consumer Games at Capcom

"Tegra 3 is a huge leap forward in mobile computing. Using its quad-core capabilities, we were able to improve all of Sprinkle's visual effects, plus add a whole new layer of smoke simulation." - Dennis Gustafsson, Co-Founder of Mediocre

"We're floored by everything we've seen in Tegra 3. Its four cores, coupled with amazing graphics performance, will let us bring awesome gaming experiences to the Tegra platform next year." - Carlo Perconti, CEO at HyperDevBox

Key Content Partners

"Flash-based apps packaged with AIR allow content creators to deliver premium gaming and video experiences, while HTML5 apps built with PhoneGap enable fantastic, general-purpose mobile apps. We continue our close partnership with NVIDIA to ensure that these visually rich, highly-interactive apps can significantly benefit from Tegra 3's enhanced CPU and GPU horsepower." - Jennifer Carr, Senior Director, Business Development at Adobe

"We've been developing multimedia applications on Tegra 3 for some time now. The quad-core processing muscle will allow some new apps and use-cases that consumers are going to love." - George Tang, General Manager and VP of the Video and Entertainment Group at ArcSoft

"Tegra 3's quad-core performance makes a huge difference for photo and augmented reality apps. Our Photaf Panorama Pro THD app runs more than 40% faster, and Face Costume gets over 60 percent speedup over comparable dual-core processors. Quad core opens up new possibilities for future application development, especially in the field of computer vision." - Oren Bengigi, CEO at Bengigi Studio

"Tegra 3 gives us the quad-core horsepower to really push the envelope on cool video editing effects, smooth video playback, augmented reality camera and other challenging applications. With Tegra 3, we're delivering real-time compositing and preview of simultaneous 1080p HD streams and graphics on a mobile device -- that's amazing." - Alice H. Chang, CEO at Cyberlink

"Seamless, compelling Augmented Reality (AR) experiences demand that all of the pieces of a mobile device work together. Metaio's AR software requires optimized mobile hardware to make the way we access digital information a more natural experience. Tegra 3 delivers the multi-core CPU performance required for advanced vision processing while bringing a tremendous boost in GPU performance. Working with Tegra's software stack will make it possible for us to utilize all of those capabilities towards building an Augmented World." - Dr. Thomas Alt, CEO at metaio

"Tegra 3's combination of HD video playback performance and extended battery life will give Netflix members a fantastic experience as they watch movies and TV episodes streaming from Netflix via their Android devices." - Bill Holmes, Vice President of Business Development at Netflix

"Tegra 3 gives us the horsepower we need to bring a PC-quality photo editing experience to mobile devices through applications like Snapseed, by Nik Software." - Michael Slater, President and CEO at Nik Software

"By collaborating with NVIDIA, we are able to bring advanced multi-touch and pen capabilities to the tablet market, providing the Android user with a smoother and richer user experience, and enhancing the tablet from a basic consumption device to one that offers more personal and creative capabilities. The processing strength provided by Tegra 3's additional cores will enable application developers to dedicate CPU cycles to UI processing and provide an enriched pen solution for artistic, enterprise and educational applications." - Amichai Ben David, CEO of N-Trig

"The tablet and mobile device market are exploding and productivity applications are central to this growth. As the most widely distributed mobile office software, we are excited to partner with NVIDIA to take advantage of the enhanced capabilities inherent in the Tegra 3 quad-core chip to bring continued innovation in the marketplace." - David Halpin, VP of Engineering at Quickoffice

"Splashtop plus Tegra 3 offers users an unparalleled cross-device experience. Splashtop enables sharing content among smart phones, tablets, and TVs, and combined with Tegra 3's quad-core processing muscle, it can support 30 frames-per-second video with extremely low latency --perfect for games and multimedia!" - Mark Lee, CEO and Co-Founder of Splashtop

"WebGL is being rapidly adopted on HTML5-capable desktop, laptop and netbook systems, and now NVIDIA is helping to bring WebGL to Android. Tegra 3 delivers an incredible level of performance --the four cores provide the multi-threading horsepower needed to drive a complete browser stack including highly interactive 3D." - Ken Russell, Chair, WebGL Working Group

"Tegra already provides the fastest platform for silky smooth magazine reading on Android. The quad-core capabilities of Tegra 3 will help us further accelerate and enhance the complete browsing, downloading and reading experience." - Vandan Parikh, Director, Reading and Mobile Technologies at Zinio. :cool: