[DEV][TUT] Building Wildfire S Kernel with OC patches

Search This thread

m1ndh4x8r

Dec 3, 2011
Tutorial: Compiling Wildfire S Kernel in Windows 7 – Ubuntu 11.10 32-bit

1. Download and install VirtualBox then install Ubuntu 11.10 32bit, after install go to settings shared folder mount your C: drive so you can copy paste from Ubuntu to Windows. Make Android folder in your Ubuntu home extract attached ndk-android in that folder. In terminal copy and paste this commands without quotes.

"sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev valgrind"

Install Android Sdk Platform Tools search google how to do this. Install it in your android folder.

And in terminal type "sudo gedit .bashrc" without quotes and add following lines below then save.

# Android tools
export PATH=${PATH}:~/android/android-sdk-linux/tools
export PATH=${PATH}:~/android/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools
export PATH=${PATH}:~/android/ndk-android/toolchains/arm-eabi-4.4.0/prebuilt/linux-x86/bin

Exit terminal then re run terminal.

2. Download Wildfire S kernel source from htcdev.com and extract to the android folder. In windows if you already installed ADB or in your adb folder open cmd prompt then connect your phone. Then copy paste this command “adb pull /proc/config.gz “ without the quotes. Then you will find config.gz in the adb folder put it to c:\ then copy it to ubuntu. Copy it to kernel folder. In terminal Cd to your kernel folder then copy paste this command “gunzip config.gz” after that “mv config .config”.

3. In terminal lets edit the kernel shall we, cd to your WS kernel, type this command “make menuconfig” then just put * if you want it built in kernel then M if you like module. After making changes exit and save. If you want OC copy and replace files in kernel folder with the OC files attached, use find to search the location of files, some files Kconfig and Makefile open kernel same file compare if same then change cause I forgot what folder it should be located, but If I remeber coreectly it is in the same folder of the other files.

4.To build kernel copy paste this command to terminal “make j2 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi-” without quotes. Change j2 for 2 cores if you have 4 cores cpu change to j4. Wait for it to finish. When it's finished it will have the zimage and the module with last extension of .ko. Copy them to the attached archive anykernel updater .using winrar or ubuntu zip manager.

5. Copy to your phone sdcard then flash to Recovery.

Some files...........................

OC Source code Download
Android NDK Download
Any Kernel Updater Download

Credits and sources from Alquez,drowningchild,CM7, and to Jerry Hildenbrand

Last edited:

insink71

Nov 9, 2010
Greenville, SC
teamblueridge.org
well.. I'm gonna try this again

I tried this one weekend... Failed miserably.. but I'm still back on the 10.04 64 bit lucid linux build environment; with no windows; so, no real need for virtual box. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's just me and not the environment; although, I do remember toolchain woes. Perhaps I'll set it up like this on another box. Should I figure it out, I'll share any changes in notes for that particular build environ.

Thanks for the guide.

Rob

S

simonsimons34

The toolchain inside of the CM7 source is the one I use. Seems to work the best

W

Wolf Pup

I'm currently building a kernel, not like this though.

Sent from a Time Lord, using his TARDIS.

-Duir-

Feb 13, 2012
California
OnePlus 6T
So I've tried this method a few times now using both the Ubuntu 11.10 mentioned in the OP and the current 12.04 versions and have yet to be successful.

I get all the way to the point of "make"-ing the kernel and then it just seems to stop at different places there.

On my most recent attempt the terminal window has displayed:
LD ipc/built-in.o
as the most recent (or current, not sure which) point for almost 1.5 hours now. Another attempt it was stuck on "page.o" for a while, I left it for 4 hours on that and another attempt and when I came back it was @ the ubuntu login screen.

No output files were ever made. I'm not sure where it's going wrong.
Even though it stays at that same "built-in.o" my HDD still sounds like it's working and the case light and the activity light in Vbox window are going.

Any help with this or suggestions on an alternative method would be appreciated.

insink71

Nov 9, 2010
Greenville, SC
teamblueridge.org
So I've tried this method a few times now using both the Ubuntu 11.10 mentioned in the OP and the current 12.04 versions and have yet to be successful.

I get all the way to the point of "make"-ing the kernel and then it just seems to stop at different places there.

On my most recent attempt the terminal window has displayed:
LD ipc/built-in.o
as the most recent (or current, not sure which) point for almost 1.5 hours now. Another attempt it was stuck on "page.o" for a while, I left it for 4 hours on that and another attempt and when I came back it was @ the ubuntu login screen.

No output files were ever made. I'm not sure where it's going wrong.
Even though it stays at that same "built-in.o" my HDD still sounds like it's working and the case light and the activity light in Vbox window are going.

Any help with this or suggestions on an alternative method would be appreciated.

I believe you and I are on similar page.. my guess is [with my dilemna] I must not have my toolchain [environment] path correct. You like to meet-up on irc later this weekend?

Rob

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2

-Duir-

Feb 13, 2012
California
OnePlus 6T
I believe you and I are on similar page.. my guess is [with my dilemna] I must not have my toolchain [environment] path correct. You like to meet-up on irc later this weekend?

Rob

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2

You're not wrong about the toolchain. The guide only shows 1 path made to the ndk-android folder, but I had to add a few others and set permissions for those folders because I kept getting messages about certain files not being found or access denied. Once I fixed all of that, it got me to the problem I have now.

I would be more than happy to chat and try to figure this out, unfortunately, I work this weekend so won't have time then. Tuesday would probably be earliest.

kernel compiles in 5 mins only, you must have done something wrong.

Yeah, no doubt. That must be why I posted here. :)

-Duir-

Feb 13, 2012
California
OnePlus 6T
Well, tried again now I get this:

Code:
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CC      scripts/mod/empty.o
as: unrecognized option '-EL'
make[2]: *** [scripts/mod/empty.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2
make: *** [scripts] Error 2

Funny thing is I typed "man as" and under "Target ARM Options" it shows -EL as a valid option (specifically, "[ -EB|-EL]".

einstein.frat

Mar 7, 2012
Well, tried again now I get this:

Code:
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CC      scripts/mod/empty.o
as: unrecognized option '-EL'
make[2]: *** [scripts/mod/empty.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2
make: *** [scripts] Error 2

Funny thing is I typed "man as" and under "Target ARM Options" it shows -EL as a valid option (specifically, "[ -EB|-EL]".

compile a clean kernel source without modifications, if it compiles you have all requirements to build kernel. Otherwise your missing something.

takthetank

Apr 13, 2010
athens
I've followed every step and now I get:

make: execvp: arm-eabi-gcc: Permission denied
make: *** No rule to make target `j2'. Stop.

why is that?

Edit1: ok solved it.
First line needed to fix permissions.
Second line the “make j2 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi-” command needs a " - " in front of j2 meaning “make -j2 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi-”.

Last edited:

mhrsolanki2020

Jan 15, 2012

OC Source code Download
Android NDK Download

Recheck the links on mediafire. doesnt works.. can you reupload it ? i started to learn about kernels so i look forward to learn it from u :( try if you can plz .. thanks

baluuu

Mar 21, 2012
The op has been baned long time ago.

Sent from my Wildfire S using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Download and install VirtualBox then install Ubuntu 11.10 32bit, after install go to settings shared folder mount your C: drive so you can copy paste from Ubuntu to Windows. Make Android folder in your Ubuntu home extract attached ndk-android in that folder. In terminal copy and paste this commands without quotes.

"sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev valgrind"

Install Android Sdk Platform Tools search google how to do this. Install it in your android folder.

And in terminal type "sudo gedit .bashrc" without quotes and add following lines below then save.

# Android tools
    export PATH=${PATH}:~/android/android-sdk-linux/tools
    export PATH=${PATH}:~/android/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools
    export PATH=${PATH}:~/android/ndk-android/toolchains/arm-eabi-4.4.0/prebuilt/linux-x86/bin

Exit terminal then re run terminal.

2. Download Wildfire S kernel source from htcdev.com and extract to the android folder. In windows if you already installed ADB or in your adb folder open cmd prompt then connect your phone. Then copy paste this command “adb pull /proc/config.gz “ without the quotes. Then you will find config.gz in the adb folder put it to c:\ then copy it to ubuntu. Copy it to kernel folder. In terminal Cd to your kernel folder then copy paste this command “gunzip config.gz” after that “mv config .config”.

3. In terminal lets edit the kernel shall we, cd to your WS kernel, type this command “make menuconfig” then just put * if you want it built in kernel then M if you like module. After making changes exit and save. If you want OC copy and replace files in kernel folder with the OC files attached, use find to search the location of files, some files Kconfig and Makefile open kernel same file compare if same then change cause I forgot what folder it should be located, but If I remeber coreectly it is in the same folder of the other files.

4.To build kernel copy paste this command to terminal “make j2 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi-” without quotes. Change j2 for 2 cores if you have 4 cores cpu change to j4. Wait for it to finish. When it's finished it will have the zimage and the module with last extension of .ko. Copy them to the attached archive anykernel updater .using winrar or ubuntu zip manager.

5. Copy to your phone sdcard then flash to Recovery.

OC Source code Download
    Android NDK Download

Reserved 10 char
    Reserved 10 char.............
    Offtopic: Damn!! Youtube is blocked in bangladesh!! I am stuck with this... :( Is there a way I can see banned websites???

www.proxite.me