[GUIDE] ROOT and UNROOT Stock GB 2.3.5, 2.3.6 ICS 4.0.3, and 4.0.4 T-mobile Telus S2X

Search This thread

Teo032

Apr 6, 2011
California
I am not responsible for your device

This is only for the t-mobile t989 galaxy s2 hercules

do not use any other galaxy s2 models because it will brick your device

you can flash skyrocket ROMs and kernels with CWM, but I suggest you research more before attempting anything.

HOW TO ROOT

FOR 2.3.5 ONLY
you can use the Superoneclick to gain root access.

To flash ROMS and Kernels
Please refer to AllGamer's thread oh how to obtain Clockworkmod Recovery if you want to flash ROMs
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1332103
But basically...

After getting root access
1. download ROM manager from the market
2. select Flash Clockworkmod recovery

FOR 2.3.5, 2.3.6, 4.0.3, and 4.0.4

What you need:
SAMSUNG USB Drivers OR Mirror
ODIN
RECOVERY
SUPERUSER WITH BUSYBOX

Instructions

USB debugging should be on.

1. Install the Samsung Drivers and ODIN
2. Plug in your phone to the PC allow everything to be installed. Do not interrupt until everything is finished installing. It should be like 5 things
3. Unplug your phone and power off your device.
4. Go into ODIN/DOWNLOAD mode
With the device off. Hold the + and - Volume buttons (telus only -) and stick the data cable into your phone. Hit Vol + to confirm into DOWNLOAD MODE
5. Launch ODIN (Your device should be detected under COM)
6. select PDA and select your choice of Recovery
7. Click Start.

It should be a quick flash. no more than 5 minutes.
Troubleshoot
If it is stuck in initializing, please close ODIN, try another USB port, and reopen ODIN

You now have ClockWorkMod Recovery
To enter this, make sure you're not connected to the computer.
Power off the phone and hold Vol + and - and Power. Let go of Power once it vibrates until you're in recovery.

You can now Flash any ROMS that will give you ROOT access, but if you want to stay stock...

To gain Root, 2.3.5, 2.3.6, 4.0.3, and 4.0.4
1. Launch CWM Recovery
2. Select Install zip from sdcard

UPDATE: there has been reports that 3.1.3 doesn't play nice with GB 2.3.5/6 so flash 3.0.7 that i have attached.
3. choose CWM_Root_Superuser_3.1.3_Busybox_1.20.2.zip
or
3. choose a custom ROM of your choice in the android development section.

You now have Superuser Root Access

Troubleshoot when flashing superuser
If it aborts or gives you some error (usually for 2.3.6)
Don't worry, just flash a couple more times until it is successful OR you can reboot the phone and check your app drawer for the SUPERUSER app.

If Superuser does not flash no matter what.. I suggest just flashing a rooted and deodexed stock ROM or one of the many Custom ROMS by our great debs

ODIN back to STOCK ROM/Unrooting
This is completely factory stock ROM, Stock kernels and stock recovery.

refer to ALLGamer's thread
Stock ROMS

KID KJ3 2.3.5 and KL1 2.3.6 ROMS can be found at the bottom of the OP

for LDE go here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1668502

FLASH it via ODIN as you would the RECOVERY. (PDA)

RESTORE TO STOCK 4.0.3 and 4.0.4
4.0.3 and 4.0.4 guide to restore to stock via odin and CWM/TWRP
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1858435

Attachments

• recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.7-hercules.tar
    6 MB · Views: 29,339
  • CWM_Root_Superuser_3.1.3_Busybox_1.20.2.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 31,172
  • Odin3-v1.85.zip
    198.4 KB · Views: 6,452
  • Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip
    625.2 KB · Views: 6,144
Last edited:

jordanishere

Sep 13, 2011
If you hold vol +, - and the power button without letting go, your phone will keep vibrating and rebooting... And you wont get into recovery.

What you are really supposed to do is hold vol + & - without letting go, then press and hold the power button for aprox 2 seconds untill the phone vibrates. Then RELEASE the power button while holding vol + & - to enter recovery.

You may want to update your op.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

Teo032

Apr 6, 2011
California
If you hold vol +, - and the power button without letting go, your phone will keep vibrating and rebooting... And you wont get into recovery.

What you are really supposed to do is hold vol + & - without letting go, then press and hold the power button for aprox 2 seconds untill the phone vibrates. Then RELEASE the power button while holding vol + & - to enter recovery.

Thanks updated, I usually release power too once it vibrates, but I remember reading someone's problem about when to release or something that confused me. Didn't realize that holding all 3 was a hard reset lol.
Eh all the ROMs we use have the recovery option, hard to remember these small details lol

Reactions: fresnogamer

raazman

Apr 12, 2011
I followed your guide for my 2.3.6 t989 and I have superuser installed but when I go to titanium backup, it says that I need to be rooted. What did I do wrong?

jordanishere

Sep 13, 2011
I followed your guide for my 2.3.6 t989 and I have superuser installed but when I go to titanium backup, it says that I need to be rooted. What did I do wrong?

Just install mr x's rooted stock rom. its a lot easier.

If ur on android 2.3.5 you can use zergrush superoneclick to root.

one5

Jul 17, 2010
Yes but it is meant to be installed on android 1.6. In the recovery when I flashed it said su for Android 1.6

Last edited:

aldoit01

Nov 20, 2010
Elgin
hey guys a couple noob questions i only ask because i really dont wanna brick my bros new phone.
1. after i flash recovery through odin instructions say i can flash ANY rom correct?
or is it just certain roms?
2. is it necessary to reboot, flash SU and then go into recovery to flash a rom?
3. also which rom would you guys recommend? least buggy/glitchy and best performance?

Teo032

Apr 6, 2011
California
Yes but it is meant to be installed on android 1.6. In the recovery when I flashed it said su for Android 1.6

oh wow sorry guys, I totally rushed the link and hyperlinked the wrong one.. the op is updated!

Just flashed over with the new link or remove superuser with TB and start over if it gives you problem but a new flash should work.

I apologize guys everything is working now

Teo032

Apr 6, 2011
California
Hey I have a question with using the ODIN method. I was keeping up with the portal and was concerned with the Flash counter on all Galaxy S devices.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/root-the-galaxy-note-without-increasing-the-flash-counter/

Do you know if flashing CWR through ODIN will increase the flash counter on my T989 or am I safe to go ahead and do the flash? I have a 2.3.6 version so I must use ODIN.

CWM doesn't increase the flash counter from what I remember, mine is still 0, but probably if you flash a stock rom then it will go up by 1. not sure.

Teo032

Apr 6, 2011
California
hey guys a couple noob questions i only ask because i really dont wanna brick my bros new phone.
1. after i flash recovery through odin instructions say i can flash ANY rom correct?
or is it just certain roms?
2. is it necessary to reboot, flash SU and then go into recovery to flash a rom?
3. also which rom would you guys recommend? least buggy/glitchy and best performance?

1. you can FLASH ANY T989 or i727 roms AKA hercules and skyrocket, aka t-mobile/telus gs2 and att skyrocket
2. if you're planning to flash a rom, you don't need to flash SU, just flash CWM and then flash ROM in CWM recovery
3. It's all user preference, Comparing roms is shunned upon because it demoralizes other devs by making their ROMs feel inferior, but I can say that off that bat most flash Juggernaut because of the views and replies. It's a great ROM
Darkside is probably the best stock looking ROM which I am using
Tuesday ROM has a Purple theme and also a great rom
Eugene ROM is also cool check it out
There are other ROMs i didn't get to use but from what I hear they're all DD worthy

Last edited:
Reactions: knarfies

castro_OO

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago
Oh Oh

OK so did all of the instructions as indicated and i can get into CWM but when i do it keeps blinking and i can scroll up and down but when i select install.zip it does nothing. and yes i reflashed 5 times... any ideas?

RPYoshi

Oct 1, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Works perfectly

Just wanted to let others know this method is flawless and I have rooted and flashed 2 T989 phones purchased during Valentine's day sale with 2.3.6 installed.

Thanks again for the easy to follow instructions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am not responsible for your device

This is only for the t-mobile t989 galaxy s2 hercules

do not use any other galaxy s2 models because it will brick your device

you can flash skyrocket ROMs and kernels with CWM, but I suggest you research more before attempting anything.

HOW TO ROOT

FOR 2.3.5 ONLY
    you can use the Superoneclick to gain root access.

To flash ROMS and Kernels
    Please refer to AllGamer's thread oh how to obtain Clockworkmod Recovery if you want to flash ROMs
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1332103
    But basically...

After getting root access
    1. download ROM manager from the market
    2. select Flash Clockworkmod recovery

FOR 2.3.5, 2.3.6, 4.0.3, and 4.0.4

What you need:
    SAMSUNG USB Drivers OR Mirror
    ODIN
    RECOVERY
    SUPERUSER WITH BUSYBOX

Instructions

USB debugging should be on.

1. Install the Samsung Drivers and ODIN
    2. Plug in your phone to the PC allow everything to be installed. Do not interrupt until everything is finished installing. It should be like 5 things
    3. Unplug your phone and power off your device.
    4. Go into ODIN/DOWNLOAD mode
    With the device off. Hold the + and - Volume buttons (telus only -) and stick the data cable into your phone. Hit Vol + to confirm into DOWNLOAD MODE
    5. Launch ODIN (Your device should be detected under COM)
    6. select PDA and select your choice of Recovery
    7. Click Start.

It should be a quick flash. no more than 5 minutes.
    Troubleshoot
    If it is stuck in initializing, please close ODIN, try another USB port, and reopen ODIN

You now have ClockWorkMod Recovery
    To enter this, make sure you're not connected to the computer.
    Power off the phone and hold Vol + and - and Power. Let go of Power once it vibrates until you're in recovery.

You can now Flash any ROMS that will give you ROOT access, but if you want to stay stock...

To gain Root, 2.3.5, 2.3.6, 4.0.3, and 4.0.4
    1. Launch CWM Recovery
    2. Select Install zip from sdcard

UPDATE: there has been reports that 3.1.3 doesn't play nice with GB 2.3.5/6 so flash 3.0.7 that i have attached.
    3. choose CWM_Root_Superuser_3.1.3_Busybox_1.20.2.zip
    or
    3. choose a custom ROM of your choice in the android development section.

You now have Superuser Root Access

Troubleshoot when flashing superuser
    If it aborts or gives you some error (usually for 2.3.6)
    Don't worry, just flash a couple more times until it is successful OR you can reboot the phone and check your app drawer for the SUPERUSER app.

If Superuser does not flash no matter what.. I suggest just flashing a rooted and deodexed stock ROM or one of the many Custom ROMS by our great debs

ODIN back to STOCK ROM/Unrooting
    This is completely factory stock ROM, Stock kernels and stock recovery.

refer to ALLGamer's thread
    Stock ROMS

KID KJ3 2.3.5 and KL1 2.3.6 ROMS can be found at the bottom of the OP

for LDE go here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1668502

FLASH it via ODIN as you would the RECOVERY. (PDA)

RESTORE TO STOCK 4.0.3 and 4.0.4
    4.0.3 and 4.0.4 guide to restore to stock via odin and CWM/TWRP
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1858435

this is a compilations of many guides that is referred to. Please thank them if this helped.

let me know if I need to correct anything or if there are anymore troubleshooting I can add.
    Was just gonna ask this myself.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 2

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2195283

I used this method to root my wife's TMo Hercules from 4.1.2 last night (recently updated from 4.0.4 through Kies). Had zero problems. Now running SlimRom.
    will this method of unroot remove the superuser icon from the app drawer i have to do a warranty exchange

The unroot brings it completely back to stock. They're original Samsung factory stock roms, recovery, modem, and kernel.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium