JuiceDefender Ultimate Questions?

Search This thread

SysAdmNj

Jun 29, 2010
For those familiar with this app. I believe it is definitely helping battery life, but at some costs I'm not sure I like. For example it seems when I'm outdoors it disables data? Even at the balanced setting? Just by looking at the log I believe thats what I'm seeing. If it is disabling data, then that would mean no emails etc correct? Or does it periodic checks on its own and enables when necessary even when screen is off? Hope someone can explain.

Maroon Mushroom

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, Oregon
With the default settings:

-it will periodically enable data for a short amount of time for all things like emails to get pushed through (under the schedule section)
-it will enable data when the screen is on, only after you unlock it. (that way you can check the time on your phone without having data enabled

With my settings (JD ultimate)

-the data will remain ON when certain apps are running in the background w/ the screen off (Pandora, Google Music, Google Maps)
-data will remain on when it's plugged into the wall (charging via usb is still the same)
-when apps request data (1kb/5s), data will be turned on for 15 seconds (more if needed)
-if connected to WiFi, data will be disabled.
-when on data, WiFi is disabled
-if there is an incoming MMS, data will be enabled
-My Juice Defender has also been trained to use cell towers (NOT GPS) to get my location. If i'm near a place where I have connected to WiFi before, it will turn on WiFi

I get 68% more battery out of my phone w/ this app. Just keep in mind this helps battery during standby (screen off) and not much else.

But when it's configured right, it's an easy battery boost that won't get in your way in terms of use.

SysAdmNj

Jun 29, 2010
So even with default settings, there is a schedule section? I didnt see that option.

I'm assuming you are using customize?

UPDATE: I did not see the controls and schedule tab even after selecting advanced. I had to kill the Juicedefender ultimate app and restart. Now when I check advanced, the tabs appear. Wow there are so many customizations. As said below, I would not mind a step by step set up to get best battery life results on note from you or others. Thanks.

Last edited:

Mortem Tuam

Feb 1, 2011
Chicago
mortemtuam.weebly.com

-it will periodically enable data for a short amount of time for all things like emails to get pushed through (under the schedule section)
-it will enable data when the screen is on, only after you unlock it. (that way you can check the time on your phone without having data enabled

-the data will remain ON when certain apps are running in the background w/ the screen off (Pandora, Google Music, Google Maps)
-data will remain on when it's plugged into the wall (charging via usb is still the same)
-when apps request data (1kb/5s), data will be turned on for 15 seconds (more if needed)
-My Juice Defender has also been trained to use cell towers (NOT GPS) to get my location. If i'm near a place where I have connected to WiFi before, it will turn on WiFi

I get 68% more battery out of my phone w/ this app. Just keep in mind this helps battery during standby (screen off) and not much else.

But when it's configured right, it's an easy battery boost that won't get in your way in terms of use.

I would be interested in a step by step of your setup. I love JD Ultimate and I get better battery but I know it could be even better. Your setup sounds ideal.

Can you give us a walk through?

SysAdmNj

Jun 29, 2010
Agreed me too :). So far on default juicedefender has really extended my battery life.

Maroon Mushroom

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Juice Defender Setup Guide - Ultimate only

• First thing's first. Download the apps. You will need the regular app and then the DJ ultimate license.
  • Launch Juice Defender Ultimate.
  • Under the STATUS tab. There is a section that says "Profile". Select "advanced" and then hit confirm. This unlocks a majority of the settings for the app and allows you to set custom triggers, app exceptions, and much more!
  • As you can see at the top, there should be a few more tabs that popped up.
  • Go to the "Schedules" tab
  • This section is what allows data to be periodically turned on so you can receive things like emails and and PUSH notifications. I have me enabled and set to a 30 minute frequency.
  • Going on down, we see the Night section. Set it to the hours that you normally sleep. This is disabling periodic data. This is good for 2 reasons: If you don't want things like email notifications waking up, and if your phone is not plugged in and you want to slow the battery drain of your phone.
  • I don't change anything else on this tab. Adaptive start for Night mode I leave on default (+2h max for start, end -1h max). If there is a period of data where you need instant connectivity for things like emails, then you can enable PEAK hours. (disables JD controls for a defined amount of time)
  • Triggers tab - this is the fun stuff.
  • Keep "battery" enabled. This ignores scheduled data on periods if your battery reaches a certain point.
  • Here is how I think about it. If you come home and you usually have about 40% of a charge, then set the threshold to 35%. By having it set to a point right below the average use like that, it's great because it won't get in your way as you work, but will still save battery on nights where you go out rather than going to a place with a charger nearby.
  • For charger, I set mine to AC because of how much faster it charges and getting emails during the night don't wake me up. (I sleep w/ it plugged in like many people) If things like email / other push notifications bother you at night, leave this off.
  • Screen. Leave this enabled. Simple as that.
  • Make sure Traffic is enabled. This allows apps to finish data transfers / downloads before data is cut off. I set mine to low at 15s so it doesn't interrupt downloads.
  • Apps. This is very important for a lot of people. Everyone has at least one app that they need to have data access going to when the screen is off. For me, it's Pandora, Google Music, and Google Maps. I set those 3 apps to enable / screen off. Meaning that if it's running on the phone, and it's in your pocket, those apps get as much data as they want because JD will be disabled for as long as they're on. Just hit the configure option, and choose which apps you want for enable / screen off.
  • Last one. Location. Just hit enable. When you connect to Wifi, it will remember your location w/ cell towers and not GPS. If JD detects that you are close to that access point, it will turn on WiFi again for you. It takes a bit of time to "train" Juice Defender to get the right position. But eventually, it works great!

Anything I didn't cover are things I didn't touch. (brightness / bluetooth / CPU controls)

Keep in mind, Juice Defender NEVER blocks your ability to receive / send texts and calls.

Mortem Tuam

Feb 1, 2011
Chicago
mortemtuam.weebly.com

• First thing's first. Download the apps. You will need the regular app and then the DJ ultimate license.
  • Under the STATUS tab. There is a section that says "Profile". Select "advanced" and then hit confirm. This unlocks a majority of the settings for the app and allows you to set custom triggers, app exceptions, and much more!
  • This section is what allows data to be periodically turned on so you can receive things like emails and and PUSH notifications. I have me enabled and set to a 30 minute frequency.
  • Going on down, we see the Night section. Set it to the hours that you normally sleep. This is disabling periodic data. This is good for 2 reasons: If you don't want things like email notifications waking up, and if your phone is not plugged in and you want to slow the battery drain of your phone.
  • I don't change anything else on this tab. Adaptive start for Night mode I leave on default (+2h max for start, end -1h max). If there is a period of data where you need instant connectivity for things like emails, then you can enable PEAK hours. (disables JD controls for a defined amount of time)
  • Keep "battery" enabled. This ignores scheduled data on periods if your battery reaches a certain point.
  • Here is how I think about it. If you come home and you usually have about 40% of a charge, then set the threshold to 35%. By having it set to a point right below the average use like that, it's great because it won't get in your way as you work, but will still save battery on nights where you go out rather than going to a place with a charger nearby.
  • For charger, I set mine to AC because of how much faster it charges and getting emails during the night don't wake me up. (I sleep w/ it plugged in like many people) If things like email / other push notifications bother you at night, leave this off.
  • Make sure Traffic is enabled. This allows apps to finish data transfers / downloads before data is cut off. I set mine to low at 15s so it doesn't interrupt downloads.
  • Apps. This is very important for a lot of people. Everyone has at least one app that they need to have data access going to when the screen is off. For me, it's Pandora, Google Music, and Google Maps. I set those 3 apps to enable / screen off. Meaning that if it's running on the phone, and it's in your pocket, those apps get as much data as they want because JD will be disabled for as long as they're on. Just hit the configure option, and choose which apps you want for enable / screen off.
  • Last one. Location. Just hit enable. When you connect to Wifi, it will remember your location w/ cell towers and not GPS. If JD detects that you are close to that access point, it will turn on WiFi again for you. It takes a bit of time to "train" Juice Defender to get the right position. But eventually, it works great!

Anything I didn't cover are things I didn't touch. (brightness / bluetooth / CPU controls)

Keep in mind, Juice Defender NEVER blocks your ability to receive / send texts and calls.

Thanks bro :cool:

check your Google Plus

Last edited:
Reactions: Giancarlo

cmucooper

Aug 29, 2007
I have always hated that program and found it to screw up phones. Most of the time it actually makes batteries worse. Just my two cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App

kiltedthrower

Sep 23, 2010
I'm not sure what to think of it. I set the settings as per Mushrooms suggestions. In an hour and a half, I've eaten through 14% of my battery with my screen off almost the entire time.

It says it's giving me 1.78x the amount of battery I normally would but normally I wouldn't be down 14% in an hour and a half.

Reactions: Giancarlo

Mortem Tuam

Feb 1, 2011
Chicago
mortemtuam.weebly.com
I have always hated that program and found it to screw up phones. Most of the time it actually makes batteries worse. Just my two cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App

yes, this has always been the general thought and what is posted most often.....I used to think the same thing until I used it on my SkyRocket.....it made a huge difference. I would get home from work before having JD on my phone and be at 20%.....when I installed JD after about a week....I would get home from work and be at 50%

So it may not work for everyone but my .02 cents is, try it and don't just automatically assume because people post that it sucks, that it sucks. Cause for me it is a lifesaver.

This coming from a guy who used to post the same things cmucooper just posted....I hated JD and bad mouthed it every time I could. But I never really used JD, I was always just spouting off what someone else had said about it....now I regret that cause it's worth it.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

I'm not sure what to think of it. I set the settings as per Mushrooms suggestions. In an hour and a half, I've eaten through 14% of my battery with my screen off almost the entire time.

It says it's giving me 1.78x the amount of battery I normally would but normally I wouldn't be down 14% in an hour and a half.

I set mine up per Shrooms suggestions and I am in 3 hours unplugged and at 93%.....normally it would already be at 85% so I am in the positive.

Dunno why urs is in the negative

s1mpd1ddy

Feb 24, 2011
I'll give this a shot. My battery has been stellar when screen off. This would be cooler if it makes it even better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

SysAdmNj

Jun 29, 2010
Yea I would try the default settings first for a day or two, then you can try the settings posted here to see if it gets better or not. I also didnt like this app with other phones as I didnt see a difference but on the note's battery,I've been unplugged from the wall charger for about an hour on wifi with the screen off and its gone down 1% with me checking emails 2 times. Maybe not too impressive to some but for me this is good, I'll have to see when I'm at work this week.

bkeaver

Thanks for this. I use Enhanced Email for my push email. I notice if I set mine as you suggest I don't get my emails in a timely manner. Do I add it to the apps section in order to get it through?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks bro :cool:

check your Google Plus