Possible fix for grey (gray) signal bars

Search This thread

stephen44

Dec 4, 2010
I have an LTE Verizon Gnex - and have rooted and installed the 4.0.4 rom.

Since then I have been plagued with gray signal bars - both WiFi and data and have not seen any fix.

What is the symptoms of grey bars - well in my case all apps (Google) worked - but i was not getting push gmail etc - just new emails when i synced etc.

I noticed that although my Google accounts all said synced - my Google Currents App - when i synced it manually never finished and the icons were white squares and not images.

So i don't know if the following was a 'currents' issue - but it could be any Google app is not syncing fully so check them all.

steps to return blue bars - I don't know which step actually worked - but this is everything I did

1. wipe currents data
  2. uninstall currents
  3. clear data in Google Services Framework
  4. uninstall updates to google market
  5. clear cache & data for Google Market
  6. reboot - now i had blue bars at this point and gmail pushes worked again
  7. update apps
  8. install currents
  9. set up sync
  10. all good

this worked for me - so please report back - hope this helps someone

EDIT - just tried this on my Transformer Prime with Virtuous Rom - and got blue bars back as well !!!!!

Last edited:

quantumalpha

Jan 4, 2012
Not sure if what you're experiencing is a bug/other problem, but just to prevent more confusing posts about what the color of the signal bars means... There's a lot of misinformation about this on the net.

Blue (or Green on Honeycomb) - Active connection to Google servers, Idle.
Gray - No Internet Access, OR, no connection to Google yet.

This is explained in the Android Users Manual PDF. I can dig up the exact quote if you really need it.

Reactions: fifarunnerr

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
The confusion sets in when you receive an email with a Gmail account, and have grey bars.

What then, is a reasonable explanation (honest question)? I have seen it reported more than once.

stephen44

Dec 4, 2010
The confusion sets in when you receive an email with a Gmail account, and have grey bars.

What then, is a reasonable explanation (honest question)? I have seen it reported more than once.

grey bars - can get gmails arrive when you force a sync
blue bars - as a mail arrives at gmail - it pushes a notification real time to your device

that to me was the difference

Robi-K

Mar 8, 2009
Saint George
Well for me it worked for the time being. Clearing android framework and market + a reboot. Many thanks to OP.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

stephen44

Dec 4, 2010
Well for me it worked for the time being. Clearing android framework and market + a reboot. Many thanks to OP.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

yup - I didn't really intend a discussion as everyone's problem maybe different - more a "this is what worked for me" - glad it did for you too.

I've seen loads of people complaining about this - and no fixes - so here's one that might work for you.

QQeyes

Aug 12, 2010
I've been having this issue since I updated to the 4.04 radios. Loading the 4.02 radios back does not fix it. Google services does eventually connect, but it takes 5-10 minutes.

When I switch to wifi or 3g, the bars blue out immediately.

The problem only exists on 4g.

I've tried all the tips on this page, nothing helps. Any further suggestions?

Gambit727

Jul 15, 2007

Since then I have been plagued with gray signal bars - both WiFi and data and have not seen any fix.

What is the symptoms of grey bars - well in my case all apps (Google) worked - but i was not getting push gmail etc - just new emails when i synced etc.

I noticed that although my Google accounts all said synced - my Google Currents App - when i synced it manually never finished and the icons were white squares and not images.

So i don't know if the following was a 'currents' issue - but it could be any Google app is not syncing fully so check them all.

steps to return blue bars - I don't know which step actually worked - but this is everything I did

1. wipe currents data
  2. uninstall currents
  7. update apps
  8. install currents
  9. set up sync
  10. all good

EDIT - just tried this on my Transformer Prime with Virtuous Rom - and got blue bars back as well !!!!!

Thanks, this worked for me and this was the only Google search result I found that had this information. I did not have Currents installed, so I skiped those steps; so the magic bullet to get the blue bars back may be one (or all) of the other steps.

gerberman

Apr 27, 2010
awsome!!!

thanks alot! this worked great for me!
you saved my phone from being repeatedly thrown aggressively on variant objects which lay around my house!

jtam11

Jul 12, 2012
Thank you!!!

I've been running around for almost a week now with greyed out signals and just blamed my from build. Fix worked for me. Now I can be bugged by groupons without having to sync manually!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. wipe currents data
    2. uninstall currents
    7. update apps
    8. install currents
    9. set up sync
    10. all good

I usually toggle airplane mode and reboot.

1. Turn on Airplane Mode.
    2. Reboot
    3. Turn off Airplane Mode
    4. !??!?!?!?!
    5. PROFIT!?!?!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
    Captivate I897 - JB 4.2.2 Helly Bean - CM10.1

I get this issue from time to time with no apparent cause. What works to fix the issue for me is the following steps:

(AS STATED PREVIOUSLY BY SMOKEEY)

1) Switch on Airplane Mode
    2) Reboot
    3) Wait for boot to complete
    4) Switch off Airplane Mode
    5) Something magical happens and the blue bars come back again.

Not sure if this is a CM10.1 or ROM issue, but the above steps help.

I had Google services background disabled and had greyed out bars. Once I enabled background data i had the blue bars again. Hope that helps.