64GB Micro SD

Search This thread

PhreakAccident

Nov 11, 2010
Eh...
Are apps like App2sd even relevant with a device having 16gb of internal hdd space?
I totally see the purpose on, say, the EVO 4G, having only 512mb for apps, wasn't it?

512mb vs. 16gb.
Need. No need.

Let the phone use the 16gb. Am I wrong?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

I'm not the expert, but here's my take. EVO has 512mb of RAM. The EVO LTE has 1024mb (1Gig). Not all apps can be installed to the card, and most of them have to manually be moved in order to get it on the card. App Data will still sit in the devices RAM and not the card. At least that's how I understand it to be.

With Link2SD, the apps will automatically install to the card's second partition (ext3) and the data also will be placed onto the card. So I think the use of the app automating the process is a good idea. As for A2SD, it's a great app for hassle free. But you don't have the control you do with Link2SD. I'm glad i switched.

Reactions: cubbieswin

browning

Aug 27, 2007
I'm confused. I thought the app and any associated app cache would allocate to the 2GB partition of the total 16GB. How does RAM play into this? Wouldn't RAM only be allocated while the app is in use or open?

I have a 32GB card I'll be using and have no issue using A2SD like I have on the OG EVO but was under the assumption that A2SD wouldn't be critical here.

PhreakAccident

Nov 11, 2010
I'm confused. I thought the app and any associated app cache would allocate to the 2GB partition of the total 16GB. How does RAM play into this? Wouldn't RAM only be allocated while the app is in use or open?

Two kinds of memory. Read Only (ROM) and Random Access (RAM). There are different types of RAM of course. Our apps we download are stored in RAM. Think of it as a solid state hard drive. You download an app, you delete an app. When the app runs, the working files are cached. The exact mechanism I'm not sure of... as I'm just now getting into Android specific devices and the operating system.

I have a 32GB card I'll be using and have no issue using A2SD like I have on the OG EVO but was under the assumption that A2SD wouldn't be critical here.

Shouldn't be critical, and A2SD won't be an issue. That's what I was using prior to changing to Link2SD. You can use Root Explorer and view the contents of \SD-EXT\ to see what folders it contains. But in the number of posts I read, they mentioned that the app data wasn't always saved over to the partition. Cache would be, because that's just temporary stuff anyway. Not the things like your high score, or data files. This is, from my understanding, where Link2SD comes in. You can specifically link the app to the second partition, and push everything there. The app is integrated into the operating system, so everything is automatic.

I did a nandroid backup, wiped my phone and reinstalled CM7, and put Link2SD just to test it. Liked it so much I just kept it on.

heywetried

Jun 17, 2010
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Mobil...WIA2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337853397&sr=8-4

With shipping, it ends up around $73. Not bad. This seller (not Prime eligible, sadly) unfortunately has a "4-14 day" shipping window. I snagged the last one from a seller at the same price with 3-5 day shipping (and a dollar less in shipping cost, to boot).

I, too, have been holding off on this purchase because of two things:

~ Class 6 vs 10 (and how it doesn't seem to mean anything, but maybe it does?)
~ The best deals were always on no name brands from no name sellers.

But, with my Evo arriving today, the SanDisk brand, finally deciding that the 6 vs. 10 question does not matter in the slightest here, the included adapter, and with the price being better than I was almost willing to buy a 32GB card for a year ago (the last time I serious considered buying one), I figured I needed to stop being afraid of buying a dud and just go for it, even if it was still from a no name seller. :)

Reactions: PhreakAccident

RegnierD

Inactive Recognized Contributor
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Mobil...WIA2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337853397&sr=8-4

With shipping, it ends up around $73. Not bad. This seller (not Prime eligible, sadly) unfortunately has a "4-14 day" shipping window. I snagged the last one from a seller at the same price with 3-5 day shipping (and a dollar less in shipping cost, to boot).

But, with my Evo arriving today, the SanDisk brand, finally deciding that the 6 vs. 10 question does not matter in the slightest here, the included adapter, and with the price being better than I was almost willing to buy a 32GB card for a year ago (the last time I serious considered buying one), I figured I needed to stop being afraid of buying a dud and just go for it, even if it was still from a no name seller. :)

From someone that moved to a class 10 after a class 6, the r/w speeds are certainly noticeable. I cipid over 2.5 gigs of music to my phone via USB cord in recovery in under 5 minutes. When I take the card out and use the micro sd adapter, it is about a minute or two faster. On my old class 6 card, it would have taken 20+ minutes.

I don't know what they're smoking.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

PhreakAccident

Nov 11, 2010
Speed of Sandisk 64 Micro SDXC I

Here's the product as shown on Sandisk's website.

http://tinyurl.com/bs6q3sg

Read speeds of up to 30MB/s, slower on write. I do notice when I transfer to the card via the phone and USB cable that the speeds are slower than if I plugged the card into a USB reader. SDXC uses UHS Speed Classes, and this one would be UHS Class I. But because our phones don't have the UHS bus afaik, we get that lower speed than what's specified by the standard.

A good read on Class speeds.

http://sdcard-speed-guide.articles.r-tt.com/

Of course the Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

jre1981

Jul 21, 2011
Tulsa
I Can verify that the 64 gig does work. Says SD card broken but after you use phone to format it is working.

2012-05-24_18-52-11.jpg

Antebios

Apr 29, 2004
Houston, TX
I got the same 64gb microSD card everyone is getting from Amazon. I ordered it Monday night, the order was processed Tuesday and shipped out Tuesday night, and I finally got the memory card delivered BEFORE the new EVO got delivered yesterday. So, yesterday when I got home UPS had just delivered my EVO minutes before I arrived home and luckily my wife was there to take the package. It was like X-mas and Birthday all wrapped in one glorious moment of having 2 wonderful gifts waiting for me to unwrap and marry them together into the perfect technological device.

Ahhhhh... I need a cigarette (if I smoked).

94tbird

Jun 19, 2007
Last edited:

Powerbird101

Aug 15, 2007
Alamo City good ole' SA
Great price on this at Adorama for 59.95 + Free Shipping + no tax = yup you guessed it 59.95
Just got one right now as well 7 day ship time but hey i got time.
http://www.adorama.com/IDSMUMSD64G.html

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

This is rated at 30mb/s transfer or UHS 1 which is clocked in 4 "strands" write i believe (correct me if I'm wrong)
The Second and more important point is to get to your second concern on the fact that "The best deals were always on no name brands from no name sellers." I disagree because if you state the terms of deal as a copy/fake product OR an inferior product compared to Sandisk then I wouldnt take part of this deal at all. When having such a massive amount of data on 1 card I will definitely not take the chance of losing all my data (or for the card to fail in general) because I went for a n inferior cheaper card. (note that im not refering to credible companies im talking about knockoffs on Amazon or elsewhere that are un branded and marketed like a Sandisk) Dont keep your expectations too high if you get a no name brand. Sandisk also has a pretty good warranty so it helps in that manner. Sandisk has usually always underrated their cards as well.
here is some nitpick info on wikipedia:
"UHS-I cards, specified in SD Version 3.01, support a clock frequency of 100 MHz (a quadrupling of the original Default Speed), which in four-bit transfer mode could transfer 50 MB/s. UHS-I cards declared as UHS104 also support a clock frequency of 208 MHz, which could transfer 104 MB/s. UHS-I is the only class for which products are currently available."

aliwho

Nov 26, 2011
I bought the SanDisk Mobile Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Flash Card Model SDSDQUA-064G-A11A

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171582

Says UHS Speed Class 1
then under it Class 10. Anyone know what that means exactly. So is it class 1 or 10?

Nevermind. Great article here on the differences between speed classes and UHS speed class. UHS speed Class 1 is equivilent to a Class 10 card.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/d...eed-class,-uhs-speed-class,-and-speed-ratings
The model number should be a reliable way to tell what class the card is if the retailer doesn't state it explicitly, right?

I found this listing for a 64 Gb class 10 (UHS 1) on Amazon for ~$65: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Mobil...f=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1338586025&sr=1-10
It has the same model number, but it's so dang cheap that I'm wary. What do y'all think?

unknown_owner

Nov 27, 2009
I know people say that it works, that's great. Has anyone filled the card up and then check it's functionality? Just curious.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

Reactions: Traceamount

rpwhite3

Jul 27, 2010
Sugar Land
Great price on this at Adorama for 59.95 + Free Shipping + no tax = yup you guessed it 59.95
Just got one right now as well 7 day ship time but hey i got time.
http://www.adorama.com/IDSMUMSD64G.html

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

This is rated at 30mb/s transfer or UHS 1 which is clocked in 4 "strands" write i believe (correct me if I'm wrong)
The Second and more important point is to get to your second concern on the fact that "The best deals were always on no name brands from no name sellers." I disagree because if you state the terms of deal as a copy/fake product OR an inferior product compared to Sandisk then I wouldnt take part of this deal at all. When having such a massive amount of data on 1 card I will definitely not take the chance of losing all my data (or for the card to fail in general) because I went for a n inferior cheaper card. (note that im not refering to credible companies im talking about knockoffs on Amazon or elsewhere that are un branded and marketed like a Sandisk) Dont keep your expectations too high if you get a no name brand. Sandisk also has a pretty good warranty so it helps in that manner. Sandisk has usually always underrated their cards as well.
here is some nitpick info on wikipedia:
"UHS-I cards, specified in SD Version 3.01, support a clock frequency of 100 MHz (a quadrupling of the original Default Speed), which in four-bit transfer mode could transfer 50 MB/s. UHS-I cards declared as UHS104 also support a clock frequency of 208 MHz, which could transfer 104 MB/s. UHS-I is the only class for which products are currently available."

Just ordered one, thanks for the research...

engelsione

May 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
32GB is enough for me. what else am I gonna fit there? just pics and music.
actually..I am in a 16GB card "partitioned" and still have about 5GB available.

aliwho

Nov 26, 2011

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1339116713499.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339116713499.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 360

Top Liked Posts