Remove All Ads from XDA
Find Your Device:
Or Continue to Thread: [TIP] How to verify ROM downlo…
11th June 2012, 05:15 PM
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 370

More
Lightbulb [TIP] How to verify ROM downloads using Total Commander Android app (MD5 sum)
Many of you might be fans of the simple looking file manager packed with customizability and features, Total Commander for Android. And this app also happens to be totally free.

If you haven't heard about it and would like to check it out, go to its homepage or get it from Google Play.

Apart from the app being awesome in itself, its dev Christian Ghisler is a cool guy too. He is very quick in responding to questions, suggestions and bug reports.

(As of now) Total Commander does not have a 1-click solution to calculate MD5 sum of a file. I am used to calculating and verifying the MD5 sum of every ROM zip I download and so having that feature is very important to me. Of course there are other apps like Android File Verifier that do that + more. But I needed just a simple MD5 calculator without having to install any extra app for that.

After spending some time playing with various options in the Total Commander app and a tip from the dev, I was able to put together a neat way to calculate MD5 using TC Android.

SETUP STEPS (Need to do this just once):
1. Click on the "Add button" icon. ( If you don't see that icon, you probably have the secondary row of icons hidden; unhide that secondary row by clicking the rightmost icon on the bottom row of icons ).
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-06-11-11-01-54.jpg
Views:	1523
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1122581

2. Configure the button as follows:
- Function type: Send shell command
- Command: sh
- Parameters: *md5sum %N ( The * makes the result of the command show up in a popup window. )
- You can change the icon if you want

Name:	Screenshot_2012-06-11-11-02-16.jpg
Views:	1383
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1122582

HOW TO CALCULATE MD5 NOW:
1. Click on the icon of any file for which you want the MD5 sum so that a green tick appears on that icon.

Name:	Screenshot_2012-06-11-11-07-45.jpg
Views:	1348
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	1122615

2. And then hit on your newly created MD5 sum calculation button. It will takes few seconds for the MD5 sum calculation to finish if you are doing it for a large file like a ROM zip shown in the example in my screenshots.

Name:	Screenshot_2012-06-11-11-08-20.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1122616
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to jazzboyrules For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jazzboyrules Ad-Free