Verizon Announces Family Data Plans

Search This thread

ijustwantmydock

Aug 10, 2011
Salt Lake City
@ at the kids having smartphones thing... Data use isn't really my main issue with them. My main issue with kids having smartphones is the facebook, sexting etc. My sister is in the car for 3-4 hours a week with a couple of her volleyball team members. When they are in the car together, they don't even say a single word to eachother. They are all talking to other people. Smartphones ruin these kids' ability to communicate face to face with one another.
Well for me I don't really have many friends because everybody my age has the mental capacity of a 5 year old. I personally never text and would rather call when I'm with my few friends I don't usually use my phone that much but when I'm home its the only thing I can do, we finally got good WiFi so my 30gb+ of data will probably drop down to more around 5-10 but still I like having the safety net and not having to worry about overages just my $.02

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

pmania

Nov 26, 2010
Hmm, the only reason my data is so much is because I download all my roms over 4g, and I try lots. Everything else is just like facebook though.

Reactions: pwned3

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
Well for me I don't really have many friends because everybody my age has the mental capacity of a 5 year old. I personally never text and would rather call when I'm with my few friends I don't usually use my phone that much but when I'm home its the only thing I can do, we finally got good WiFi so my 30gb+ of data will probably drop down to more around 5-10 but still I like having the safety net and not having to worry about overages just my $.02

do you even pay your cellphone bill?

blestsol

Jul 24, 2010
Baltimore
I just don't understand why people have this sense of entitlement when it comes to business. They don't have to do anything they don't want to do. If you're using it as your home internet connection, you deserve to be found out. And I hope they charge you for every bit you use.

Bottom line: VZW can charge $100/GB if they wanted. They'll charge as much as people are willing to pay. They are a business and in it for the profit. I applaud them for it. They provide the best service and the best customer service.

Quit whining and go to T-Mobile if you want cheap phone service.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

I don't get why people on the forums act like other people can't have their opinion about the service they're paying for. Everyone can say whatever they want.

Quit your whining and leave the forums if you don't want to see opinions.

WookieFan

Nov 21, 2010
NYC area
I don't get why people on the forums act like other people can't have their opinion about the service they're paying for. Everyone can say whatever they want.

This kind of reaction is what we want to avoid, right? I don't think his comment was trying to prevent other opinions, just a lack of understanding others' thinking. If anyone is being critical of others' opinions, I would suggest it's you.

blestsol

Jul 24, 2010
Baltimore
This kind of reaction is what we want to avoid, right? I don't think his comment was trying to prevent other opinions, just a lack of understanding others' thinking. If anyone is being critical of others' opinions, I would suggest it's you.

We all have our opinions right? I feel his was critical. All I did was flip it back at him.

Keep it moving.

CanesDrew

Jun 10, 2011
Memphis

I never said they can't have their opinion.

What I'm talking about is this crap how people feel Verizon owes them something. Cell phone service isn't a right, its a privilege. If you can afford it, do it. If not, go to another carrier. No ones begging them to stay with Verizon.

Do I want to lose my unlimited data? NO! But I'm not leaving Verizon over it.

blestsol

Jul 24, 2010
Baltimore
I never said they can't have their opinion.

What I'm talking about is this crap how people feel Verizon owes them something. Cell phone service isn't a right, its a privilege. If you can afford it, do it. If not, go to another carrier. No ones begging them to stay with Verizon.

Do I want to lose my unlimited data? NO! But I'm not leaving Verizon over it.

You missing my point. You on here complaining about people who are complaining about verizon policies telling them that they can leave if they want cheap. I'm saying if you don't wanna see complaining its probably best if you don't read in threads like this.. I avoid apple vs android threads and goodbye forums threads.

jbuffethed

Sep 28, 2010
I'm just as upset about this change a anyone. She has my old Droid x and I have the rezound. We have one unlimited 3G and one 4G with 4GB @ 2GB price. Both lines share 1400 minute and have 250 texts each. My wife talks more & we text a lot. As much as we want to keep unlimited, we don't really use that much data. I use the most, but monitor how much I use. We will actually pay less with the new plan plus I get a military discount.

We will wait and see.

Sent from my S-OFF Rezound using Tapatalk 2.

CanesDrew

Jun 10, 2011
Memphis
You missing my point. You on here complaining about people who are complaining about verizon policies telling them that they can leave if they want cheap. I'm saying if you don't wanna see complaining its probably best if you don't read in threads like this.. I avoid apple vs android threads and goodbye forums threads.

The OP wasn't complaining, just letting people know.

Move along and quit critiquing me.

canistotaweb

Apr 21, 2011
Wooster
The OP wasn't complaining, just letting people know.

You are correct, I wasn't complaining, it's a waste of time. Verizon can charge whatever they want and I can choose whether or not I feel what they provide is worth what they charge. In my case a $60 a month increase for what would amount to a decrease in services provided isn't worth it. I have signed a contract with Verizon that I will honor and once it's up we will part ways.

Reactions: CanesDrew

Dec 18, 2008
Charlotte
Can someone please tell me how you are "sharing data" when it costs 40 dollars for every line added? Before it was 10+30 for data. That =40. So please tell me how anyone could gain from this? Even if you bought under the "double the data" deal you are getting hosed, again. Because before each smartphone would have gotten more data, as it was individual, now you get the same amount of data for even more money. It *might* have been a decent deal if it carried a 9.99 line access fee, or MAYBE 19.99 for a smartphone, but at 40, F-off VZW. They are effectively raising all of our bills by ~20 bucks a month per line for every upgrade since we are losing that 450ish subsidization every 18-24 months. They BETTER not try and tack on a 30 dollar upgrade fee on top of the full comp phone price. I can't promise I feel the need to stay after sprint or Tmo gets their LTE networks up. As these plans are just plain retarded.

blestsol

Jul 24, 2010
Baltimore
You are correct, I wasn't complaining, it's a waste of time. Verizon can charge whatever they want and I can choose whether or not I feel what they provide is worth what they charge. In my case a $60 a month increase for what would amount to a decrease in services provided isn't worth it. I have signed a contract with Verizon that I will honor and once it's up we will part ways.

He meant his original post. I was telling him if he doesn't like complaints he should leave the thread.

Dec 18, 2008
Charlotte
Let us know how that goes...not sure anyone can go from smart to dumb phone (especially advanced users who browse XDA).

I'm sure it would hard, but I will definitely be going this route if my bill exceeds the current 210 that I already pay a month. That is my limit. Heck, it is my most expensive bill outside of my rent. My car payment, cable/internet combined, etc are all cheaper than my cell phone bill. That's ridiculous. And therefore I refuse to pay more than I already do. When I pay more for something that I NEED, a car, than I do for an elective, a phone, then I refuse to go any higher. No, I don't have an expensive car, but 210 is just over the top and this would raise my bill by at least 40 more dollars a month just for a "usable" amount of data for my lines.

Heck, even if I switched two the "double data" deals, my plan price would have stay the same price only I would have lost my unlimited data. And technically I would have ended up with 8 GB of data that I could use. With this I would have to pay for 10 GB of data just to stay "safe" with my usage and not hit overages. The carriers think they have an inelastic demand for smartphones, but they don't. Many people, such as myself, are already reaching their breaking points. And I refuse to pay any more.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Better yet, go back to a flip phone and then use the tablet for internet/ texting

That would still cost you 40 dollars a month, then you have to carry around two devices. Because each dumbphone is 30 dollars a month to add. I don't know what changed to where they had to change the line access charge on a dumbphone. I get you get "unlimited" minutes, but who cares. I'll never use them. I hate talking on the phone.

tCizler

Sep 1, 2011
I agree, I'm at my breaking point. Won't pay a penny more. I've already been looking at dumb phones, just in case they try to make me"upgrade" when my contract is up. Although that's a long ways away. I have internet at home,work, and WiFi just about everywhere between. I can deal with not having it everywhere at all times

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1454

Dec 18, 2008
Charlotte
I agree, I'm at my breaking point. Won't pay a penny more. I've already been looking at dumb phones, just in case they try to make me"upgrade" when my contract is up. Although that's a long ways away. I have internet at home,work, and WiFi just about everywhere between. I can deal with not having it everywhere at all times

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

I have it everywhere except at work. So it won't be that huge of a loss. But I do use my phone to stream my music and navi in the car, so that will be a loss. But I loss I can deal with.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well this basically confirms that I will be switching to Sprint or TMobile after my contract is up next July... Too bad so sad for Verizon.

Sent from my Tablet
    This plan should be called the "Screw Everyone" plan instead.

Well this basically confirms that I will be switching to Sprint or TMobile after my contract is up next July... Too bad so sad for Verizon.

Sent from my Tablet

We're Lucky we'll have you til then

Not to contradict anyone but,,
    I'm on sprint and thinking of moving to Verizon because of the Shared Data Plan. I use between 1.5 to 2.5 GB, my wife uses 100 Megs tops a month. I pay 150. For $150 on Verizon would get 2 smart = $80 then 4 shared GB for $70 total is $140.

The benefit is Verizon has LTE and Sprint does not. Plus Verizon is finally getting a cool phone SGIII

For a person like me sounds like a deal to get better network and 4G.

Remember the new data plans let you use your phone as a hotspot with no additional charge so not much reason to root right away.

with out the shared data plan I would have to get the 1500+ texting + 2 data plans would have been like $180.

Not so bad for a 2 phones.

*facepalm*